McDonald's faces boycott threats in India for serving halal meat

I actually can't see it as an issue as those people are asking for "inclusion of jhatka" rather than "exclusion of halal". If muslims can boycott resturant for serving non halal meat and can ask for inclusion, why others can't request the same (their preference of killing animal)?

Why some muslims are taking it offensive way is hard to grasp. Though it does mention halal in the article, the demand has nothing to do with islam.

I dont think any Indian Muslims are taking an offence to it. Its the liberals in India, outraging over a legitimate concern being voiced by "some" Hindus. Their moronic braying, ends up making more people polarised on this issue. For once, they could be secular and ask for respecting all religious sensibilities.

Science does not provide a conclusive answer to this. In fact even leading scientists in India have said that halal slaughter is better in terms of the pain suffered by the animal. The health benefits are already well understood. I'll provide example below.

Although this discussion isn't really about whether halal meat is healthier or better, it kind of ties in so Dr Modi does add some further opinions.

He provides some further details on the matter with support from a Delhi based nutritionist.

Although, there is a discussion about the health benefits of halal meat in this piece, I would like to point out that the expert says evidence suggests jhatka method causes more trauma to the animal than halal slaughter method.

Source: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Science-of-meat/articleshow/11672654.cms

Well they are more focusing on meat quality. This is what I have found from some other article on the same topic.

"Does halal slaughter without pre-stunning hurt animals more than other forms of slaughter?

Yes, if British vets, the RSPCA and the Farm Animal Welfare Council (FAWC) are to be believed.

The British Veterinary Association (BVA) says it believes “all animals should be effectively stunned before slaughter to improve the welfare of these animals”, while the RSPCA says it causes “unnecessary suffering”.

A report from the FAWC said chicken and turkeys were likely to be conscious for up to 20 seconds after a transverse incision is made across their neck.“Such a large cut will inevitably trigger sensory input to pain centres in the brain,” the council said."

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...out-religious-slaughter-answered-9331519.html

Well they are more focusing on meat quality. This is what I have found from some other article on the same topic.

"Does halal slaughter without pre-stunning hurt animals more than other forms of slaughter?

Yes, if British vets, the RSPCA and the Farm Animal Welfare Council (FAWC) are to be believed.

The British Veterinary Association (BVA) says it believes “all animals should be effectively stunned before slaughter to improve the welfare of these animals”, while the RSPCA says it causes “unnecessary suffering”.

A report from the FAWC said chicken and turkeys were likely to be conscious for up to 20 seconds after a transverse incision is made across their neck.“Such a large cut will inevitably trigger sensory input to pain centres in the brain,” the council said."

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...out-religious-slaughter-answered-9331519.html

So there are differences of opinion of which I am fully aware of. And of course, the RSPCA, PETA are not scientific institutions but animal welfare organisations, so they're likely to say such things.

Bottom line is that there is no definitive ruling. Another thing to consider is take away the methodology or ritual aspect of whichever way you wish to procure the meat for a moment. Is there actually a humane way to kill an animal for food?

I mean how would you like it if you knew you or your family were next to be stunned, sliced, cut or by whatever method to be gorged upon later by another species with some fries and some fizzy soda.

Well you said you are an Eastern Indian. They have always been kind of different with their practices. But what I have said is true. Slaughtering of animals is absolutely prohibited in Hindu culture, atleast with the ones perceived by the so called purists. If you are a meat eater back in the old days, people wouldn't have let you enter their houses.

I may not agree with your views, but I respect your right to them. I salute you sir, as one of the few Indians on here prepared to stand up publicly for pure Hindu ideals.

Well you said you are an Eastern Indian. They have always been kind of different with their practices. But what I have said is true. Slaughtering of animals is absolutely prohibited in Hindu culture, atleast with the ones perceived by the so called purists. If you are a meat eater back in the old days, people wouldn't have let you enter their houses.

It is prohibited in Vaishnavism, Shaivism sect. It was and still followed in Shakti temples. Meat/ Fish are served to Goddess Shakti.
Maybe you are from Northern or Western India. They have mostly Shiva and Vishnu temples so hindus there are mostly vegetarian unlike Eastern India (Esp. Assam, WB, Odisha).

And don't make a blanket statement because there are certain posters here who will take it as a fact.

I may not agree with your views, but I respect your right to them. I salute you sir, as one of the few Indians on here prepared to stand up publicly for pure Hindu ideals.

Think of the popular kids from the school, they make all the noise so they get the attention. Same goes with Gujarat, Maharstra, Delhi and Uttar Pradesh. To generalize the whole damn state, basically, there are lots of whackos and fools from these places so they make the news. Also there are lots of Gujaratis living abroad so their representation abroad creates a perception that is how whole of India is. It is totally wrong. These Hindu bakths are viewed as less than dog craps in lots of places in India. We hate them more than you. Even the whole Hinduism as a whole is being viewed down upon by the next generation in certain parts of India. Ram is a "top god" in North India, in the South, he is barely worshipped. It is not easy to understand India by just watching the news.

Think of the popular kids from the school, they make all the noise so they get the attention. Same goes with Gujarat, Maharstra, Delhi and Uttar Pradesh. To generalize the whole damn state, basically, there are lots of whackos and fools from these places so they make the news. Also there are lots of Gujaratis living abroad so their representation abroad creates a perception that is how whole of India is. It is totally wrong. These Hindu bakths are viewed as less than dog craps in lots of places in India. We hate them more than you. Even the whole Hinduism as a whole is being viewed down upon by the next generation in certain parts of India. Ram is a "top god" in North India, in the South, he is barely worshipped. It is not easy to understand India by just watching the news.
It's complex as hell 😂 but thanks for clearing the air a bit especially on PP where we don't know a lot about indians slash Hinduism so we do including me generalise stuff

Who do they worship instead? Who is Vishnu, if there is a Ram?

Most informative post I've read on India in years.

Ram is not worshipped in South India? There goes the entire credibility of what you just posted lol.

Sometimes it is better to be quiet on a subject that you have no clue about.

Do you know Carnatic music? Have you heard of saint Ramdas or Thyagaraja? Do you know whom their compositions are based around?

One of the richest places of worship in the world Tirupati in South India, do you know who the deity is.

NT Rama Rao, Ramanjuam, MG Ramachandran- of the top of my head I named 2 ex CM’s and also silver screen superstars and 1 greatest scientist ever produced by India, guess the 2 things they have in common- They are from South and guess what their names start with?

I have no problem if you have a different view than me but atleast do some fact checking before you spew anything on here.

What a load of bull ! :facepalm:

Hinduism is viewed down by South Indians ? What are you on about ?

There are no "top gods" in Hinduism for your information. Sri Ram Navami is one of the grandly celebrated festivals in South India. There's a saying here about how you'll not find a single village in South India without a Ram temple. Please stop running your mouth around about things you have no clue about.

Whilst I may not have referenced what the tenth Guru said, I'm specifically referring to the Rehat Maryada which is official Sikh code of conduct formalised in the early twentieth century. Stating herewith:

The undermentioned four transgressions (tabooed practices) must be avoided:

1. Dishonouring the hair;
2. Eating the meat of an animal slaughtered the Muslim way;
3. Cohabiting with a person other than one’s spouse;
4. Using tobacco.

Now the most common argument you'll probably hear why Sikhs can't eat halal meat is because the Rehat Maryada forbids it. It is generally accepted that because there was no document relating to matter, that some Sikhs may have consumed halal prior.

My understanding is that some of the Guru's may have also consumed due to it being offered by their Muslim guests. There is a high probability of this as the reference you've put in your post related to the tenth and last Sikh Guru.

I guess some Sikhs to the present day may still consume it but that might be out of necessity or lack of commitment to their faith or both. But that's a topic for another discussion.

Maybe you shouldn’t generalize, if you’re going to post such nonsense.

You’re spreading wrong information which many might take it as fact.

Lot of Gujjus in West do consume meat( not beef). Once again, Stop Generalizing.

Whilst I may not have referenced what the tenth Guru said, I'm specifically referring to the Rehat Maryada which is official Sikh code of conduct formalised in the early twentieth century. Stating herewith:

The undermentioned four transgressions (tabooed practices) must be avoided:

1. Dishonouring the hair;
2. Eating the meat of an animal slaughtered the Muslim way;
3. Cohabiting with a person other than one’s spouse;
4. Using tobacco.

Now the most common argument you'll probably hear why Sikhs can't eat halal meat is because the Rehat Maryada forbids it. It is generally accepted that because there was no document relating to matter, that some Sikhs may have consumed halal prior.

My understanding is that some of the Guru's may have also consumed due to it being offered by their Muslim guests. There is a high probability of this as the reference you've put in your post related to the tenth and last Sikh Guru.

I guess some Sikhs to the present day may still consume it but that might be out of necessity or lack of commitment to their faith or both. But that's a topic for another discussion.

Because it was included in the Rehat Maryada does not mean the prohibition did not exist earlier.

He is one of those who have zero info. and gives gyan on Hinduism and claims Hinduism came in Gupta period and that Sri Ram isnt worshipped in south India.

Except for Brahmins and some Kshatriyas, no one worships Rama in south India. South Indian traditions and culture predates your Brahminical Vedas and Rig-Vedas.

Except for Brahmins and some Kshatriyas, no one worships Rama in south India. South Indian traditions and culture predates your Brahminical Vedas and Rig-Vedas.

Lol. Another one.

Sanatan Dharma is the majority religion in India. Thats what the data says.

South India is one of the centers of Vaishnavism and Shaivism.

Almost all great south Indian dynasties, Cholas Cheras Pandyas Chalukyas Rashtrakutas Vijayanagar empire followed the sanatan dharma mainly. May be they were not aware of what the Dravidian parties taught. :))

Let me know the pre rig vedic religion that is followed by south indians today.

First claims about hindus not eating meat. Then about eastern India and now south India. Laughable really.

Not to forget your casteist remarks.

Last edited:
He is one of those who have zero info. and gives gyan on Hinduism and claims Hinduism came in Gupta period and that Sri Ram isnt worshipped in south India.

The Bengali champion of Lord Ram :))

He is worshipped more in the South than Bengal :cobra

Shankaracharya organized existing texts, local gods, traditions and cultures into a homogeneous entity that eventually became Hinduism. The religion received massive patronage from the Guptas and blossomed during their reign.

Lol. Another one.

Sanatan Dharma is the majority religion in India. Thats what the data says.

South India is one of the centers of Vaishnavism and Shaivism.

Almost all great south Indian dynasties, Cholas Cheras Pandyas Chalukyas Rashtrakutas Vijayanagar empire followed the sanatan dharma mainly. May be they were not aware of what the Dravidian parties taught. :))

Make up your mind. Some days you refer to it as this all encompassing juggernaut Sanatan Dharma. Other days, it's conveniently Hinduism. When you feel a little left out of the cool crowd, you pull in Swami Vivekananda and even biker Jaggi into the folds of Hinduism. Do you even know your religion, my friend?

I am a South Indian. I'm neither a Brahmin nor a Khastriya. Me, my family and every non-Brahmin/Kshatriya friend of mine worship Ram and every Vaishnavite avatar.

Stop peddling lies or atleast stop generalizing every "South Indian" based on your apparent limited knowledge.

I am a South Indian. I'm neither a Brahmin nor a Khastriya. Me, my family and every non-Brahmin/Kshatriya friend of mine worship Ram and every Vaishnavite avatar.

Stop peddling lies or atleast stop generalizing every "South Indian" based on your apparent limited knowledge.

Offcourse there is nothing we Indians don't worship (Gujarati Modi). But Rama is still a lesser known diety in south India, looking at the number of dedicated temples (big or small) in his name. You need to really look into the rural areas to know more about the traditions and cultures about that particular state.

Last edited:
Offcourse there is nothing we Indians don't worship (Gujarati Modi). But Rama is still a lesser known diety in south India, looking at the number of dedicated temples (big or small) in his name. You need to really look into the rural areas to know more about the traditions and cultures about that particular state.

I don't know from where did u get it? I am from andhra pradesh and work in hyderabad (telangana). Here we have lord rama temples as much as other deities. In telugu states and in tamilnadu, u have castes like vysyas, iyengars who worship lord vishnu or avatars of lord vishnu like lord rama, krishna etc.,

This is the first time I read a comment like this. Sri rama navami is celebrated as much as other festivals in telugu states.

When ayodhya verdict came people literally celebrated on the streets (in our area) in hyderabad.

Oh now you're shifting to "rural areas". :))

Read up about Bhadrachalam(which FYI is in South India) and how holy it is to people not only here in the Telugu States but also TN and KN.

Once again, stop generalizing based on your narrow viewpoint. You're only embarrassing yourselves.

Really? Most of us didn't give a shyte about the drama that was going on in some backward state like UP.

Most of us ? May I ask where ur from in south india ? em ooru anna mandhi ?

As I said earlier in telugu states & in tamilnadu we have good amount of temples dedicated to lord rama or lord vishnu.

Because it was included in the Rehat Maryada does not mean the prohibition did not exist earlier.

My point was that it seemed to be something that was done just so that it was a different practice to the Muslim way. This was emphasised in the Rehat Maryada with the ruling's codification.

Prior to this, the saying of the tenth Guru seemed like a good to know but not a critical part of dietary law.

Oh now you're shifting to "rural areas". :))

Read up about Bhadrachalam(which FYI is in South India) and how holy it is to people not only here in the Telugu States but also TN and KN.

Once again, stop generalizing based on your narrow viewpoint. You're only embarrassing yourselves.

In this thread, he has done nothing but generalized various states without any facts and knowledge.

Police seal Navi Mumbai meat shop for 'hurting' religious sentiments​

The Navi Mumbai police have sealed a meat shop after it was alleged that a religious name had been painted on a goat brought there for slaughter, an official said on Sunday.

Acting on a complaint, the police on Saturday sealed the shop at CBD Belapur and registered a case against three persons, including its owners and a worker, he said.

Quoting the complaint, the official said 22 goats had been brought to the shop for slaughter but one of the animals had a religious name painted on it.

The complainant also accused the trio of “ill-treating” the goat.

The three, identified as Mohammad Shafi Sheikh, Sajid Shafi Sheikh, and Kuyyam, have been booked under IPC section 295 (A) read with 34 for hurting religious sentiments and under the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, he said.

The police have also taken up the matter with the civic corporation and other authorities for cancellation of the shop’s licence, the official added.

Does Halal Meat taste different to non-Halal meat?

I never had Halal meat. So just asking.
Really? In my state almost everyone selling meat is a Muslim. So it's always halal meat for us. In fact, I don't think I've ever tasted non halal meat in my city.

Back