Member Interview: MenInG

Firebat

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Thanks to [MENTION=93712]MenInG[/MENTION] for your fantastic answers to some great questions! Fascinating read, please enjoy:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PakPassion.net: What's with the name MenInG and what brought you to PakPassion in the first place?

MenInG:
So, when I stumbled upon an interesting site where the upcoming Pakistan versus India series in 2003 was being discussed, I had a few minutes to decide on a nick name – thought carefully/hard (for 1 minute) and chose MenInGreen – which later morphed into MIG and then onto MenInG. By the way my Avatar was done to give me a comical version of a hard military man persona – I think it had the desired effect.

PakPassion.net: What is your favorite India-Pakistan match of all time?

MenInG:
In 1978, the 3rd Test between Pakistan and India was in progress and the game was in its final day. My father, usually a busy man, decided to take my sister and I to this game. This was my first ‘live’ game and also became my most favourite and cherished game forever! What I saw that day was Sunil Gavaskar’s obdurate stand, Imran Khan’s splendour, Asif Iqbal and Javed Miandad’s batting prowess which have stayed etched in my mind forever. But there was one part of the game which I will ALWAYS remember. The game was tense as Pakistan were chasing a tough target, so emotions were running high amongst the spectators. A young man sitting next to me decide to throw a 'mota' orange at the great Kapil Dev who was fielding in front of our stand. The orange hit him hard on the back of his thigh and broke up, splattering his trousers. Kapil turned and looked back at our stand. And the only person he saw (and suspected) was me! I froze, and he said some words which in those days of my childhood I had not heard before and turned away. I was in tears and shouting – Kapil it wasn’t me, but he had made his mind. Hopefully one day when I see him, I will explain my side of the story and ask for his forgiveness!

PakPassion.net: How far do you think Pakistan will progress in the upcoming T20 World Cup?

MenInG:
I am very confident that we will get to the semi-finals. I really do feel we have the firepower (read match-winners) to get to that point given our resources and also given the hit and giggle format we are talking about, where just a few good balls in an innings (batting or bowling) can change the complexion of the game totally. I don’t think we can get to the final but then I didn’t think much of the Pakistan side in the Champions Trophy in 2017 as well and look where that got us!

PakPassion.net: Do you think Pakistan realistically has any chance to host ICC events in near future?

MenInG:
We just need to stop doing own-goals such as the PSL 6 COVID-19 fiasco. Apart from that, the security situation in Pakistan is as normal as it will ever be. There should be no concerns regarding security in Pakistan and given the new and very conciliatory noises between India and Pakistan, we could well find a willing supporter across Wagah which could tilt things in our favour. So, the answer to this question is that I am cautiously optimistic that we can pull off a T20 World Cup in the not-so-distant future. When in the future is anyone’s guess?

PakPassion.net: You have been to India, which is your favorite destination in India and why?

MenInG:
I have been to India once and was totally taken aback by how similar it was to Pakistan in so many ways (especially people and the food!). I visited Bangalore and Hyderabad and was impressed by what we already know of India. They work hard and are polite – even when they found out I was originally from Pakistan! Bangalore specifically felt so much like Lahore – probably due to the Cantonment feeling of some parts of the city. Of course, I was devastated that I could not visit the M Chinnaswamy but I did see a lot of the very distinctive red clay all over the place so was content with that!

PakPassion.net: If you had a super-power to do anything, what is one thing you would change about Pakistan?

MenInG:
I always feel that our older generation failed us by teaching us to take short cuts to success or achieving any goal, instead of instilling the value of hard-work or idea of due process to achieve those aims. As a result, my generation grew up thinking it was OK to bribe, cajole others to do your work and Pakistan is now in a state that it’s in now. If I had a super-power, I would magically make all of us become advocates of doing the right thing; So many of our issues could be resolved overnight if this happened!

PakPassion.net: Who is your favorite Indian cricketer of all time and why?

MenInG:
I will go by my Old-School standards of excellent skills embellished by good behaviour and choose Sunil Gavaskar and Kapil Dev as the 2 players who apart from their excellent records were/are perfect gentlemen. They are a credit to their country and to the game we all love. Players like Virat Kohli belong to the Twitter/Insta/Snapchat generation and don’t interest me beyond what they can do with the bat or ball which is good but not what inspires me.

PakPassion.net: Who is best cricketer out of Virat Kohli, AB de Villiers, Kevin Pietersen and Sir Viv Richards?

MenInG:
Virat Kohli is the current flavor of the month but there was something about Sir Viv Richards when he walked onto the field and took his guard. Chewing his gum, surveying the field for places he could score without a problem – all that was part of the Viv-Swagger that I adored and feared as an opposing fan. To me he will always be head and shoulders above all other batsmen.

PakPassion.net: When Indians troll Pakistan like no tomorrow when Pakistan is doing badly, how do you stop yourself from letting any rising resentment from spilling over to the way you judge the Indian team or Indians in general?

MenInG:
Tricky question! But the answer from our point of view is very simple. Our philosophy at PakPassion is that you can state your view but don’t cross any lines of decency and don’t put down people in the same way you wouldn’t if you met someone face to face. If people go overboard, we step in. I also know that people are passionate about the game and the teams they support so they will say stuff which they wouldn’t ordinarily do, so we make allowances for that. Does what I see on PP written about Pakistan raise my Blood Pressure? Hell yes! But it will never affect how I and my fellow mods deal with our esteemed posters.

PakPassion.net: How has PakPassion evolved over the years and what are the future plans?

MenInG:
We are pretty much the same! We still believe that its Cricket which unites so many people around the globe and whilst new trends and fads such as Facebook/Twitter etc will come/go or stay, PakPassion’s unique value of a place where you have time and space to write your views and debate them will stay until end of time! We are always making changes behind the scenes but we still feel that too much change is also not necessary and PP in its current form is serving Cricket fans around the globe in pretty much the same way it has done since its inception.

PakPassion.net: If you're made the PCB Chairman/CE, what steps would you take to bring back Pakistan cricket into the top echelons of World Cricket?

MenInG:
I would get my legal guys to sort out contracts with players and employees to make sure all this leak drama is dealt with and stopped. I would also start putting down some ground rules for media so they understand that they are stakeholders of the game as well and it’s NOT right to throw unfounded allegations at the PCB. Also, I would make sure that allegations against the organization are investigated and issues fixed – instead of burying heads in sand type strategy which is the case now. The rest is up to the experts – former players and people who actually know the ground situation. They can take whatever actions necessary to reform the game but their appointments need to be carefully vetted – much like they have in congressional hearings in the US when officials are appointed.

PakPassion.net: Has your faith in humanity been affected in any way since your affiliation with PakPassion?

MenInG:
On the contrary, PakPassion has renewed my hope in humanity's ability to get along with each other despite differences! I am a firm believer that just like we co-exist in real life, we can do the same in our internet life. And if we as moderators of this forum can play a small part in facilitating that dialogue – well all power to us!

But there are some disappointments over the years with some individuals who we considered our brothers and who violated our trust in them. For example, we have had some who accepted prizes from us from a volunteer organization like ours and instead of thanking us, deemed it OK to insult us and our families a few days later. That part still hurts and I suppose is more a reflection on their character rather than any weakness in our ability to judge people. Then you have some who think it’s fine to abuse us on other platforms and still be welcomed on PakPassion, which again shows their character. But as they say, each to their own!

Last edited by a moderator:
It was nice to see some glimpse of the man behind the MenInG. His presence was always as the administrator and I've rarely seen this side. When I joined, IIRC, he used to post his views but as time passed, the administration of the forum took much of his time here I guess.

Nevertheless, MenInG has raised a good points about keeping the emotions aside while dealing with conflicts inside the forum. I believe this is the principle which is why I stayed here for 10 years running actively.

During these years, I got warning, infarctions, unofficial scoldings but looking back, I did violate the rules and moderators were kind enough to let me continue even after that. This balance, right from Saj and MenInG is praiseworthy and be it indian/Pakistani or any other national, one would rarely find a forum where such a balance do exist. And the dedication of the people for years after years in a volunteer manner is also something that one won't see in other forums. And as a part of the team, MenInG has held high standards throughout these years.

I wish my best wishes to MenInG and his family. May all you guys prosper and achieve your dreams.

Good to see you finally speak. Would had love to see more responses.
Always had been looking forward to your interview.

It is true, the admin team does work hard behind the scenes. I am proud to say I was amongst the first few people who got to look at the PP's updated version and the amount of work the other mods and admin had put into it.

MIG bhai is also a good teacher, as I got an opportunity once to talk to him when he was training me with some operations.

Keep up the good work! I had always imagined you as Gus Fring, who is always as this calm approach when meeting with customers as Lous Pallo Hermanos

Ma sha Allah. Great interview of a very humble and good man. People like you have made PP one of the very best forums. To keep such a big forum clean of insults, racism and onther mockings is simply amazing and all the credit goes to the admins and mods ( and of course to the posters as well). Keep up the good work.

Excellent MenInG! Man, I feel bad I did not meet you in Bangalore. Had there been any communication about it, I would hosted you at my home! Anyway, Cheers

Good interview... My Question was on top....

BTW I have one more question, how much time does a moderator spend on average managing the site.... Given how some of us are, It must be quite a task to maintain " Law and order"

It was nice to see some glimpse of the man behind the MenInG. His presence was always as the administrator and I've rarely seen this side. When I joined, IIRC, he used to post his views but as time passed, the administration of the forum took much of his time here I guess.

Nevertheless, MenInG has raised a good points about keeping the emotions aside while dealing with conflicts inside the forum. I believe this is the principle which is why I stayed here for 10 years running actively.

During these years, I got warning, infarctions, unofficial scoldings but looking back, I did violate the rules and moderators were kind enough to let me continue even after that. This balance, right from Saj and MenInG is praiseworthy and be it indian/Pakistani or any other national, one would rarely find a forum where such a balance do exist. And the dedication of the people for years after years in a volunteer manner is also something that one won't see in other forums. And as a part of the team, MenInG has held high standards throughout these years.

I wish my best wishes to MenInG and his family. May all you guys prosper and achieve your dreams.

Good to see you finally speak. Would had love to see more responses.
Always had been looking forward to your interview.

It is true, the admin team does work hard behind the scenes. I am proud to say I was amongst the first few people who got to look at the PP's updated version and the amount of work the other mods and admin had put into it.

MIG bhai is also a good teacher, as I got an opportunity once to talk to him when he was training me with some operations.

Keep up the good work! I had always imagined you as Gus Fring, who is always as this calm approach when meeting with customers as Lous Pallo Hermanos

Ma sha Allah. Great interview of a very humble and good man. People like you have made PP one of the very best forums. To keep such a big forum clean of insults, racism and onther mockings is simply amazing and all the credit goes to the admins and mods ( and of course to the posters as well). Keep up the good work.

Excellent MenInG! Man, I feel bad I did not meet you in Bangalore. Had there been any communication about it, I would hosted you at my home! Anyway, Cheers

Many thanks for your replies and support of what we do on PP!

Of course we are indebted to all our members for making PP the place it is.

Excellent interview by MIG, him and Saj have watched cricket since the days of Don bradman ;) so lots of knowledge to share.

Wow, great interview very humble and good answers. I worked with MIG bhai he's very kind and very well spoken person. Must say the dedication and amount of time he gives to the forum really amazing.

It's a very good forum to be part of.

Great read.

Thanks for taking time from your already busy schedule to complete the interview quickly, was a fascinating read.

I really enjoyed the section about the Kapil Dev encounter at the stadium, that would have been amazing, and we all know new and ex cricketers visit this forum, I personally know of 2 (Cant name them), so hoping Kapil also visit the forum soon and read your side of the story...

Thanks again...

Last edited:
Really good read and you managed to answer some of the questions I had posted. Keep up the good work.

You have an amazing clarity of thought and very practical viewpoints.
Great Interview. Kudos to your spirit of selfless service.

Great website and Great admin. Hands down the best cricket forum on internet with knowledgeable posters and spirited discussions. Thank you.

Great interview and some very fascinating points there.

Really enjoy being a part of this forum. You guys do a great job as moderators.

A PakPassion Legend.

Top guy who has been a fantastic colleague on this site for many years.

Fantastic Interview, I don’t agree with any of the comments regarding India and Indian PPers who in my opinion would not be allowed on any forum, that aside it’s great to have seen the likes of yourself and Saj do a great service for the game which does unite us all (apart from Indians).

Fantastic Interview, I don’t agree with any of the comments regarding India and Indian PPers who in my opinion would not be allowed on any forum, that aside it’s great to have seen the likes of yourself and Saj do a great service for the game which does unite us all (apart from Indians).

No bro.

PP is for all people who like cricket.

We welcome all opinions and there is no limits on nationality on PP - as long as people remain civil and don't cross that line, there is no harm and only benefit to be gained from arguments.

Great interview.
Thanks for answering my question.
You are doing a great job as a moderator.

Last edited:
Thank you for answering our questions and the stellar work you do here.

Hope we don't raise your BP too much :jimmy

You possess great knowledge of the game , wondering what is your cricketing background, where did you played cricket and at what level ?

Thanks All

My cricket knowledge (limited as is) is totally derived from what I have read on PP and of course watching it over my many years of following the game as well

Never played cricket at any proper level

Great interview.

MenInG seems to be a great human being and a very polite person. Pakpassion is lucky to have him as part of their mgmt team.

I had the pleasure of working with MenInG bhai and the rest of the moderation team a few years back. Nice guy and utterly selfless in ensuring we are all provided top notch content on PP.

I don’t know how both he and Saj do it, but there is some level of military precision that goes to running the site as all the mods including MenInG and Saj do so on a voluntary basis. So the army guy avatar suits him really well.

No doubt MenInG has given a lot of sacrifice in giving his own personal time to make sure the site remains relevant, warm and welcoming to all that love the game of cricket no matter who you support or your background.

Salute to Mr PP himself. :salute

MenInG bhai...

what a pleasure it is to read your interview....you come across as such a humble gentle person - kudos to you for doing what I am sure must be a difficult job - to you and Saj...
Am indian and feel sorry for some of the absolute cringeworthy chest thumping rhetoric that we post....not only here but on a lot of sites, the endless one upmanship, downing of others and laughing on others misery....but a credit to you and saj, you guys are the embodiment of the spirit of PP, and what you have said above about being civil , respecting others yet passion about the game rings so true - wish virat would realize that it is possible to be passionate like Rahul D and yet compete fiercely and wish several of my country would blog in the same spirit.....

Any ways, enjoyed reading about the Kapil incident and others...:)

what is your fav incident or hilarious one from the days you were playing in your bachpan on the streets/in the backyard with your mates?

Keep up the good work and all the best bhai:hasan2F

Please share your childhood memories and family background in Pakistan before migration to different country.:)

MenInG bhai...

what a pleasure it is to read your interview....you come across as such a humble gentle person - kudos to you for doing what I am sure must be a difficult job - to you and Saj...
Am indian and feel sorry for some of the absolute cringeworthy chest thumping rhetoric that we post....not only here but on a lot of sites, the endless one upmanship, downing of others and laughing on others misery....but a credit to you and saj, you guys are the embodiment of the spirit of PP, and what you have said above about being civil , respecting others yet passion about the game rings so true - wish virat would realize that it is possible to be passionate like Rahul D and yet compete fiercely and wish several of my country would blog in the same spirit.....

Any ways, enjoyed reading about the Kapil incident and others...:)

what is your fav incident or hilarious one from the days you were playing in your bachpan on the streets/in the backyard with your mates?

Keep up the good work and all the best bhai:hasan2F

Thanks!

Guess bachpan was too long ago but I do recall being told not to bowl again as was pretty hopeless - think it was good advice!

We don’t always see eye to eye in terms of our views but I have nothing but respect for the old stallion.

I hope I can have the same passion for cricket and PakPassion in my old age as he does. It is very inspirational.

I think I must also hold the record for receiving the most number of infractions from the man himself, which I would consider an honor.

May you keep posting and contributing to this forum and may you live a long and healthy life. PakPassion will not be the same without your presence.

For me, he is the PakPassion GOAT poster and a true father figure for the forum.

All the respect to you.

[MENTION=93712]MenInG[/MENTION] dedication and commitment in maintaining this site is truly admirable!

Well done sir :)

Excellent interview. Particularly where he explains how he deals with trolling is gold!

Good job making PP a high quality forum and maintaining it that way.

We don’t always see eye to eye in terms of our views but I have nothing but respect for the old stallion.

I hope I can have the same passion for cricket and PakPassion in my old age as he does. It is very inspirational.

I think I must also hold the record for receiving the most number of infractions from the man himself, which I would consider an honor.

May you keep posting and contributing to this forum and may you live a long and healthy life. PakPassion will not be the same without your presence.

For me, he is the PakPassion GOAT poster and a true father figure for the forum.

All the respect to you.

[MENTION=93712]MenInG[/MENTION] dedication and commitment in maintaining this site is truly admirable!

Well done sir :)

Excellent interview. Particularly where he explains how he deals with trolling is gold!

Good job making PP a high quality forum and maintaining it that way.

Absolutely humbled by all your comments
[MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION] ameen to your prayers and the same to you bro - and you are not the one with highest infractions!

Please share your childhood memories and family background in Pakistan before migration to different country.:)

Part of military family that lived all over Pakistan in my young days - had a privileged childhood for many reasons and thankful to my parents for giving me what I needed to move up in life :)

Great interview from a great human being. You are a PP legend.

Many thanks for your comment.

PP has always been about sharing views - regardless of how popular or unpopular they are and we are all proud to have played part in facilitating such discussions

Back