Mitchell Johnson takes on David Warner - who will win?

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
‘Arrogance and disrespect’: Johnson lashes former teammates Warner, Bailey

Former Australian paceman Mitchell Johnson has unleashed against ex-teammates David Warner and George Bailey, questioning why Warner is getting a Test farewell and accusing him of not owning up to his role in the ball-tampering scandal.

Writing for The West Australian, Johnson said Warner’s form did not warrant a nomination of his own retirement date and implied that Warner’s involvement in the ball-tampering scandal of 2018 meant he did not deserve a “hero’s send-off”.

Warner has been named in a 14-man squad alongside recalled fast bowler Lance Morris for the series against Pakistan, which begins in Perth later this month.

“It’s been five years and David Warner has still never really owned the ball-tampering scandal. Now the way he is going out is underpinned by more of the same arrogance and disrespect to our country,” Johnson wrote.

“As we prepare for David Warner’s farewell series, can somebody please tell me why?

“Why a struggling Test opener gets to nominate his own retirement date. And why a player at the centre of one of the biggest scandals in Australian cricket history warrants a hero’s send-off?

“Warner certainly isn’t Australia’s Test captain and never deserved to be for that matter. In fact, he ends his career under a lifetime leadership ban.

“Yes, he has a decent overall record and some say is one of our greatest opening bats. But his past three years in Test cricket have been ordinary, with a batting average closer to what a tail-ender would be happy with.

“It’s the ball-tampering disgrace in South Africa that many will never forget. Although Warner wasn’t alone in Sandpapergate, he was at the time a senior member of the team and someone who liked to use his perceived power as a ‘leader’.

“Does this really warrant a swansong, a last hurrah against Pakistan that was forecast a year in advance as if he was bigger than the game and the Australian cricket team?”

Warner declined to comment when contacted by this masthead.

Bailey was asked about Johnson’s comments at a press conference for the announcement of the Test squad for Perth on Sunday.

“I’ve been sent little snippets of it – I hope he’s OK. I’ve got no idea [if he is],” Bailey said of Johnson.

In his column, Johnson also questioned why Warner was selected, given his recent Test-match form.

“Granted he made his double century against South Africa at the MCG last summer, but they were the only runs he had scored in years. Leading into this year’s Ashes series that was the only time he had reached 50 in his previous 17 Test innings,” he wrote.

“When then-captain Tim Paine’s career was ending over the sexting controversy, chairman of selectors George Bailey said he didn’t want to be part of deciding Paine’s fate because the pair were close friends.

“Bailey said he would leave it to then coach Justin Langer and fellow selector Tony Dodemaide to work it out.

“The handling of Warner in recent years, who played with Bailey in all three forms, raises the question of whether Bailey was simply too quickly out of playing and into the job and too close to some of the players.”

Johnson also wrote that the role of the head selector “seems to have moved to be a part of the inner sanctum, rather than standing aside from it”.

Asked about accusations of being too close to the team, Bailey replied: “My only observation would be if someone can show me how being distant and unaware of what players are going through and what the plans are with the team and with the coaching staff – how that’s more beneficial – I’d be all ears.”

Thank God Mitchell Johnson isn’t a Test selector’: Warner’s manager hits back

David Warner’s manager James Erskine claims Mitchell Johnson has missed the “logic” of why the veteran opener remains in the Test team.

Responding to a scathing column from the retired fast bowler, Erskine also labelled Johnson “naive” for his suggestion Warner had not “owned the ball-tampering scandal” in Cape Town five years ago.

“Let me tell you, anyone can get a headline. The fact is [Warner’s selection] is just logical,” Erskine told this masthead. “The three [replacement] candidates will be [Matthew] Renshaw, [Cameron] Bancroft – who has played pretty well in the Sheffield Shield – and [Marcus] Harris. Now they’ve all had spells opening the batting for Australia.”

Erksine pointed out the trio had managed just one century between them in 38 Tests and their collective average was in the mid-20s.

Pointing to the fact that Warner scored a half century during his last Test innings on the Ashes tour and, more recently, was Australia’s leading run-scorer in the World Cup, Erskine said: “David is in good form. Thank God Mitchell Johnson isn’t a Test selector.”

Warner has averaged below 30 in five of his last six Test series, but his record is much better in Australia than overseas.

“Does this really warrant a swansong, a last hurrah against Pakistan that was forecast a year in advance as if he was bigger than the game and the Australian cricket team?” Johnson wrote in the West Australian.

“It’s been five years and Warner has still never really owned the ball-tampering scandal. Now the way he is going out is underpinned by more of the same arrogance and disrespect to our country.”

Warner declined to comment when contacted by this masthead.

Former captain Tim Paine believes there is lingering animosity between Warner and Johnson, who were teammates before Johnson retired in 2015.

“Mitch raises some great points. Statistically, David hasn’t been playing well and would other people be getting the run he’s getting now? Probably not,” Paine said on SEN radio. But in my opinion, he’s got credits in the bank because he is one of the all-time greats.

“I think you can read between the lines that he and Davey don’t get along … I think they’re just different people, just from what I’m reading.”

Johnson traded barbs with Warner’s wife Candice in April, when Warner was selected for the mid-year Ashes tour.

“Warner even had his wife Candice defending him in her panel role on the TV show [The Back Page] this week,” Johnson wrote at the time. “Her loyalty might be admirable, but it was all a bit weird and cringey.”

In response, Candice told News Corp, “It doesn’t surprise me because he doesn’t have a lot to do with media any more and I feel like the only way he gets a headline is by using David’s name. Everyone takes his comments with a grain of salt. They don’t have a lot of merit.”

In a column last year, Johnson labelled captain Pat Cummins “gutless” over his role in the departure of coach Justin Langer, who was replaced by assistant coach Andrew McDonald.

A former Australian teammate of Johnson, Moises Henriques said Johnson’s criticism was misplaced.

“In terms of Patty Cummins, I think he’s answered that as well as he possibly could, winning the World Test Championship, the World Cup and retaining the Ashes away from home.”

Henriques said Johnson should try to reconnect with the team.

“I think he should get into the group and really do his best to get to know the players again, because I kind of feel like maybe he’s lost a bit of touch there,” Henriques said.

Warner gives a perfect retort after Mitchell Johnson tried to get under his skin. Aussies definitely are masters in war of words.

Mitchell Johnson’s brutal criticism of David Warner has exposed a sad divide between two overlapping generations of Australian cricket greats.

The former fast-bowler sent shockwaves across the cricketing world when he took a personal swipe at and the opening batter’s plans to retire.

The Ashes destroyer’s explosive column in The West Australian also included a shot at national selector George Bailey, arguing he was too close to Warner and other members of the Aussie squad to make the tough call to drop Warner.

The handling of Warner in recent years, who played with Bailey in all three forms, raises the question of whether Bailey was simply too quickly out of playing and into the job and too close to some of the players,” Johnson wrote.

“I’ve been sent little snippets of it,” Bailey said in response to Johnson’s column.

I hope he’s OK.

“My only observation would be if someone can show me how being distant and unaware of what players are going through and what the plans are with their team and the coaching staff, how that’s more beneficial, I’d be all ears.”

Johnson’s tirade has exposed the chasm between the Ricky Ponting era and the current team, who got their crowning glory with wins at the World Test Championship and ODI World Cup this year.

Johnson, Cummins, Hazlewood and Starc were all part of Australia’s squad that won the 2015 ODI World Cup on home soil.

The left arm quick, who retired from international cricket in 2015, has the sixth most Test wickets by an Australian with 313 scalps.

Johnson was at the crease when Cummins hit the winning runs in his Test debut against South Africa in 2011.

He was also part of several memorable Australian victories, including series wins in South Africa in 2009 and 2014, as well as the famous Ashes whitewash in 2013-14 when he took 37 wickets.

But his spray towards Warner and Bailey, both former teammates and part of that 2015 World Cup triumph, means a 10-year reunion could be seriously awkward, if it even happens.

Travis Head said after the recent World Cup triumph that he couldn’t wait for the reunions. It might not be the same case for everyone.

Former Australian captain Milchael Clark was surprised by the comments, saying he had not seen evidence of significant “beef” between the pair when he played with them.

“In every sporting team. Not everybody gets on. Not everyone is best friends,” Clarke said on the Big Sports Breakfast.

“Dave is a strong character, Mitch is a strong character, (they) went hard at each other in the nets. “I saw that but I couldn’t sit here and say they had beef against one another when we played.”

Tim Paine said on SEN: “I think if you read between the lines, him and Davey Warner clearly don’t get along.

“So it’s a bit easier for him to fire a few shots at him.

“They’re just different people. I have nothing to shed on that. They’re just different. I’m only reading between the lines. Just reading that tells me that they probably don’t get along. But again some of his points about his (Warner’s) stats and his position in the team and him getting a little bit of extra time were probably ruined by the personal nature of it.

Source: Fox Sports

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Johnson should have spared Warner after all he is human too and yep would have been good if Warner had furnished apology for his past actions too. Not to forget Warner’s great services in helping Australia triumph in multiple icc tournaments.

Mitchell Johnson’s brutal criticism of David Warner has exposed a sad divide between two overlapping generations of Australian cricket greats.

The former fast-bowler sent shockwaves across the cricketing world when he took a personal swipe at and the opening batter’s plans to retire.

The Ashes destroyer’s explosive column in The West Australian also included a shot at national selector George Bailey, arguing he was too close to Warner and other members of the Aussie squad to make the tough call to drop Warner.

The handling of Warner in recent years, who played with Bailey in all three forms, raises the question of whether Bailey was simply too quickly out of playing and into the job and too close to some of the players,” Johnson wrote.

“I’ve been sent little snippets of it,” Bailey said in response to Johnson’s column.

I hope he’s OK.

“My only observation would be if someone can show me how being distant and unaware of what players are going through and what the plans are with their team and the coaching staff, how that’s more beneficial, I’d be all ears.”

Johnson’s tirade has exposed the chasm between the Ricky Ponting era and the current team, who got their crowning glory with wins at the World Test Championship and ODI World Cup this year.

Johnson, Cummins, Hazlewood and Starc were all part of Australia’s squad that won the 2015 ODI World Cup on home soil.

The left arm quick, who retired from international cricket in 2015, has the sixth most Test wickets by an Australian with 313 scalps.

Johnson was at the crease when Cummins hit the winning runs in his Test debut against South Africa in 2011.

He was also part of several memorable Australian victories, including series wins in South Africa in 2009 and 2014, as well as the famous Ashes whitewash in 2013-14 when he took 37 wickets.

But his spray towards Warner and Bailey, both former teammates and part of that 2015 World Cup triumph, means a 10-year reunion could be seriously awkward, if it even happens.

Travis Head said after the recent World Cup triumph that he couldn’t wait for the reunions. It might not be the same case for everyone.

Former Australian captain Milchael Clark was surprised by the comments, saying he had not seen evidence of significant “beef” between the pair when he played with them.

“In every sporting team. Not everybody gets on. Not everyone is best friends,” Clarke said on the Big Sports Breakfast.

“Dave is a strong character, Mitch is a strong character, (they) went hard at each other in the nets. “I saw that but I couldn’t sit here and say they had beef against one another when we played.”

Tim Paine said on SEN: “I think if you read between the lines, him and Davey Warner clearly don’t get along.

“So it’s a bit easier for him to fire a few shots at him.

“They’re just different people. I have nothing to shed on that. They’re just different. I’m only reading between the lines. Just reading that tells me that they probably don’t get along. But again some of his points about his (Warner’s) stats and his position in the team and him getting a little bit of extra time were probably ruined by the personal nature of it.

Source: Fox Sports
Former Australia skipper Michael Clarke has shared his views on Mitchell Johnson’s explosive rant on David Warner at a local breakfast show, He said:

"In every sporting team, not everybody gets on. Not everyone is best friends. Dave is a strong character, Mitch is a strong character, (they) went hard at each other in the nets."

"I saw that but I couldn’t sit here and say they had beef against one another when we played. Yeah, maybe I’ve missed something here Mitch hasn’t played for years now so maybe there is beef, I don’t know."

"When you’re in a role like this if you have an opinion and it’s based on what’s best for the team, or your experience, then go with that. But it should never be personal. I try not to make it personal and if it comes across that way you try and apologise for that because you don’t want that."

It's disheartening to witness the public rift between Mitchell Johnson and David Warner. Michael Clarke rightly emphasizes the inherent dynamics within a team.

Well, it looks like MJ is not going down easily. Never seen a conflict like this before in Australian cricket.

-----------------------------

Mitchell Johnson speaking in a Podcast:

"I got a message from Dave, which was quite personal. I tried to ring to try and talk to him about it, which I've always been open to. I know I've been open to the guys when I finished playing. I said if I'm in the media and writing things or saying things that you don't like, just come and speak to me,"

"It was never a personal thing then until this point. This is probably what drove me to write the article as well, part of it. It was definitely a factor. Some of the stuff that was said in that, I won't say it. I think that's up to Dave to say it if he wants to talk about it. There was some stuff in there that was extremely disappointing, what he said, and pretty bad to be honest,"

"He had sent me a message after the Lance Morris article that I wrote. It was just a little bit condescending. When you receive it at all hours of the morning, it was pretty disappointing,"

"To ask if I'm okay because I've had mental health issues is pretty much downplaying my article and putting it on mental health, which is quite disgusting, I think. It's basically having a dig at someone's mental health and saying that I must have something going on, a mental health issue has made me say what I have said. That's not the truth. That's completely the opposite. I'm actually clear-minded. I'm okay. I want to make sure everyone knows that I'm okay and I'm actually in a good headspace,"

"I'm not angry, I'm not jealous. I'm just writing a piece that I felt like I needed to write. I probably was set off by getting a message from him at all hours of the morning and not having the respect to make a phone call,"

"I wouldn't say I was hurt by the messages. I was disappointed and it was unexpected. It probably just threw me off a bit. The thing I struggle with the most is not having those phone calls. I would prefer to have a conversation with those guys face-to-face or over the phone. Preferably face-to-face would be the best way to do it. So to get those messages were to me, very disrespectful,"​

Warner shrugs off Johnson criticism as a home summer 'headline'

MELBOURNE, Dec 8 (Reuters) - David Warner has shrugged off Mitchell Johnson's withering criticism of his selection in Australia's test squad as a "headline" for the home summer, saying his former team mate is entitled to his opinion.

In an incendiary column Johnson questioned Warner's place in the side for the Pakistan series, citing his waning output in test cricket in recent years.

Johnson also said Warner had not taken full responsibility for the 2018 Newlands ball-tampering scandal and questioned whether he should be given a "hero's send-off" in the third test in Sydney, which the lefthander has nominated as his last.

"It would not be a summer of cricket without a headline," Warner said at a broadcaster event in Sydney on Friday.

"Everyone is entitled to an opinion. But moving forward, we are looking to a nice test over in the west."

Johnson's comments triggered a fierce reaction in Australian media, with some pundits condemning the former test quick.

He later revealed his column in the West Australian newspaper was motivated in part by a personal spat with Warner and expressed regret for some of the content.

Team mates Usman Khawaja and Glenn Maxwell threw their support behind Warner this week, and captain Pat Cummins said the squad had rallied around the batsman.

"I think we protect each other a lot. We have been through a lot over the years," Cummins told reporters at the event.

"I’ve played alongside someone like Davey or Steve (Smith) for a dozen years now.

"(We are) fiercely protective of each other.

"It is hard to say (what Johnson's motivation is). You have to ask Mitch. But there are so many things we should be celebrating about Australian cricket at the moment."

Cummins also defended selector George Bailey, who Johnson said was too close to Warner and the players in general.

"George has been fantastic," said Cummins, who led Australia to a record-extending sixth one-day World Cup title in India three weeks ago.

"I have never seen a selector be as hands-on and as impressive as George has been."

Australia play the first of three tests against Pakistan in Perth from Dec. 14.

SOURCE: Reuters​

Jason Gillespie on the spat between Mitchell Johnson and David Warner, in an interview with PakPassion:

"Where it first started from my understanding of listening and reading is that Mitchell Johnson, in an article, found it strange that a player's wives were commenting on selection for teams. Johnson pointed that out in his newspaper column, and I think David didn't take too kindly to it. So I think some messages were exhanged and from what Johnson was saying I suppose their relationship has deteriorated a bit, and Mittchell has come out saying -- Does Warner deserve a farewell test series when for the last few years he has been performing under par?

So I think that was a fair assment from Johnson that David probably hasn't scored the runs that he or Australia would have liked, and he was calling that into question. I think what a lot of people are wondering is that it's becoming quite personal, and I think Mitchell has essentially acknowledged that on the back of a text message exchange a little while ago.

Look, everyone's entitled to an opinion, and when you are a former player and asked to write opinion pieces, you have to speak your mind and say what you think. But yeah, this situation has gotten quite personal. There is no issue on my end about Mittchel asking about Davd's place in the side because he probably hasn't scored the runs that he's liked. But I also think where the Australian selectors and the Australian coaching staff are, they're probably thinking, well, this is a guy who's played a 100 test matches and has been involved in a lot of winning teams; he's scored a lot of runs in all formats. Yeah, he's probably had a bit of a low period, but we're going to back an experienced senior player in, and also, you know, there's no one else that's probably banging the door down over the last couple of years in Australian domestic cricket."

Mitchell Johnson attacked David Warner for the second time, despite the Australia opener scoring 164 runs in the first Test against Pakistan. Johnson wrote for the West Australian:

"On day one of the first Test against Pakistan Warner rode his luck early on - and it could have gone either way - and you take that and he went on to make 164."

"He did what he was paid to do in the first innings before Saturday's duck in the second innings."

"I think my opinion in this column a couple of weeks ago is still valid. He hadn't scored runs in about three years apart from the double century last summer."

"They could have given some new guys some really good time out in the middle this summer and backed them in. That's going to be much harder across the next two summers when India and England visit for five-Test series. It seems they've got their own plans in place for selection and how they see things. But they are going to be confronted by a changing of the guard at some point soon."

"That sort of atmosphere is something Warner revels in."

Mitchell Johnson attacked David Warner for the second time, despite the Australia opener scoring 164 runs in the first Test against Pakistan. Johnson wrote for the West Australian:

"On day one of the first Test against Pakistan Warner rode his luck early on - and it could have gone either way - and you take that and he went on to make 164."

"He did what he was paid to do in the first innings before Saturday's duck in the second innings."

"I think my opinion in this column a couple of weeks ago is still valid. He hadn't scored runs in about three years apart from the double century last summer."

"They could have given some new guys some really good time out in the middle this summer and backed them in. That's going to be much harder across the next two summers when India and England visit for five-Test series. It seems they've got their own plans in place for selection and how they see things. But they are going to be confronted by a changing of the guard at some point soon."

"That sort of atmosphere is something Warner revels in."

This has gone past personal now - hope they dont meet in person!

Mitchell Johnson speaking in his Podcast:

“There is one thing I wasn’t that happy with,”

“I didn’t notice it at the time. I was reading the article and just sort of went with it. The “Bunnings” and the “sandpaper” part of it. Probably distasteful. That was probably something that didn’t need to be said"

“The reason that (the sandpaper scandal) came up is that I just don’t look at statistics. I look at the whole picture. And I’m not trying to bring up those old things."

“But someone to get a farewell and to be in that position that he was and what they did back then, that didn’t quite sit right with me, that’s why I brought it up.’’​

Ending badly for MJ as Warner is currently toast of the towm.

The whole sandpapergate saga is now history.

Justin Langer on Mitchell Johnson and David Warner controversy:

“In simple terms, I hate it when men from the rare club of playing cricket for Australia air any of their grievances publicly,”

“I believe in a simple ethos of ‘praise in public, criticise in private’.

“In other words, if you want to say something publicly, be positive and use the opportunity to praise the person you are talking about.”

“In contrast, if you want to criticise someone, look them in the eye and tell them how you are feeling.”

“There was always an unwritten rule that, although all of us may not be best of friends, the mutual respect of playing for Australia was enough to stop us from criticising each other publicly.”

“Let others criticise us, but we would tend to stick tight as a part of the Australian cricket culture.”

“Anyone who knows me knows I am not one for shirking a single issue, but I do believe there are ways of getting your message across without getting personal,”

“Mitch is one of the very best people I have met in the game. He is a gentle giant who was one of the great players and athletes I have seen. Like a lot of greats, he is also stubborn.”

“While I don’t know the ins and outs of his gripe with Davey, I hope they can talk it out behind closed doors.”

“He and Davey would have shared many happy moments together as teammates and I hope they can remember these going forward. It is much more fun.”​

Warner must be seen off this situation with calmness as he is at the end of his career so anything stupid here can ruin his farewell.

The truth behind Mitchell Johnson being stood down from two speaking engagements has come to light.

News Corp reported on Tuesday that the former left-arm quick for Australia had two guest speaking appearances scheduled for Optus Stadium in Perth as Australia took on Pakistan in the first Test of the summer starting on December 14.

The appearances were cancelled due to Cricket Australia’s view that Johnson, 42, had taken his criticisms of Warner, 37, too far in an explosive column for The West Australian in early December.

Aussie great Mike Hussey reportedly replaced Johnson as the guest speaker at the lunch events.

Veteran journalist Robert Craddock has revealed Cricket Australia ultimately muzzled the West Australian star as a move to nullify any potential blowback from the playing group in support of Warner.

“I believe it was Cricket Australia’s call, however, I do believe it was done to short circuit any chance that the players would blow up about it,” Craddock said on SEN 1170 Breakfast.

“I didn’t think they would have, I really don’t. I don’t even think they’d have found out about it.

“There’s so much happening in a Test match with speakers coming and going that if Mitchell Johnson comes in a room (the players wouldn’t know).

“The other thing about Johnson is don’t underestimate his smartness and sensibilities, to be able to read the room and say, ‘I stand by what I said, but I got a bit personal and I regret that’.

“Some people call that entertainment. We live in a world in such political
correctness.”

Craddock said the appearance of Johnson would have been welcomed in other sports, whereas cricket has a habit of taking “itself a little bit too seriously”.

“Mitchell Johnson of course had a volcanic column criticising David Warner and George Bailey,” he added.

“Had it just been on stats and limited to man versus stats, it would have been fair enough.

“But it became a little bit personal so Cricket Australia thought it was a bad look to then celebrate Johnson by having him as a guest at two functions in Perth.

“Had this been rugby league, the organisers of the functions would have said, ‘How good is this, geez I hope he fires up’, because what I love about that sport is it just survives on bushfires which keep burning and everyone gets the narrative.

“There’s players swapping clubs, there’s a bit of feuding, there’s a bit of drama, but in the end it doesn’t mean too much and it’s all part of the soap opera of sport.

“Cricket, I always feel, falls a little bit short-changed in that regard. It takes itself a little bit too seriously.”

While Johnson has largely stood by his criticisms of Warner in the days since his newspaper column became the talk of the cricket world, he did express one regret while speaking on his podcast The Mitchell Johnson Cricket Show.

The 313-Test wicket great said he regretted bringing up the sandpaper scandal but stood by his other points including that players shouldn’t get to dictate the terms of their retirement.

“There is one thing I wasn’t that happy with,” Johnson said.

“I didn’t notice it at the time. I was reading the article and just sort of went with it. The “Bunnings” and the “sandpaper” part of it. Probably distasteful. That was probably something that didn’t need to be said.

“The reason that (the sandpaper scandal) came up is that I just don’t look at statistics. I look at the whole picture. And I’m not trying to bring up those old things.

“But someone to get a farewell and to be in that position that he was and what they did back then, that didn’t quite sit right with me, that’s why I brought it up.’’

Fox Cricket

The rivalry between David Warner and Mitchell Johnson has escalated to the next level. I will not stop until they both resolve the issue amicably. Both are legends of the game, and they should not engage in such public fights.

The rivalry between David Warner and Mitchell Johnson has escalated to the next level. I will not stop until they both resolve the issue amicably. Both are legends of the game, and they should not engage in such public fights.
Mitchell isn't a legend. He had w good series. That's it. Outside that he is nothing special in tests.
In odi yes he did well in 2015.

Fun & games in Australia cricket it seems

MJ invited to some awards ceremony and his insta reaction

1703263969993.png

Any such argument between a former player and a current performing player will end up badly for the former player. Public opinion and even team management opinion will always be in favor of the current player. Mitch got into a battle he couldn’t win given the circumstances and timing.

Back