Mitchell Starc versus Mitchell Johnson

proud_pakistani

First Class Star
Runs
Post of the Week
Both are pretty similar.. Obviously still need to see a lot from Starc but I think he has some things better than Johnson where he pitches the ball up and also gets more swing whereas Johnson possibly tries more to hit the deck and move it off the seam. What do u guys think?

Starc has more swing and at the moment Johnson has lost his swing, everything he throws is gun barrel straight. If you dont do anything with the ball then no matter how quick you bowl, you will get murdered.

MJ was a genuine match winner in his prime. Shame he lost his mojo :facepalm: Starc looks good too but i don't think he will ever be as dangerous as MJ

Johnson couldn't bring the ball into the right hander to save his life. Starc actually has this ability and can get people LB or Bowled. Pace wise, there isn't that big a of difference. Starc also has more control and the extra height advantage and is better apt to bowl in swinging and non swinging conditions.

Looks promising just like Mitch looked early on.

Johnson couldn't bring the ball into the right hander to save his life. Starc actually has this ability and can get people LB or Bowled. Pace wise, there isn't that big a of difference. Starc also has more control and the extra height advantage and is better apt to bowl in swinging and non swinging conditions.

You couldn't be more wrong. Bringing the ball into the right hander was his lethal weapon, even when he was out of form he managed to do it.

http://youtu.be/Q-aN8-21Mpc?hd=1&t=1m8s

this was a fluke because of the wind, MJ even admitted this himself lol

certainly did! the England batsmen also later admitted to being lazy, and forgetting to tell each other how far the ball was swinging in. one of the most overrated bowling spells you'll ever see.

MJ in South Africa a few years back, now that was some awesome bowling.

Starc is quicker than he looks you know. His late inswing is awesome to watch.

and forgetting to tell each other how far the ball was swinging in.

haha seems they refused to accept it was possible

btw the most telling thing in that video is the horrendously scrambled seam Mj has throughout

Last edited:
MJ any day for me, the way he won the test match against South Africa, and then in the Ashes, great sight. Both are better Test batsmen than Raina.

both are good in Australian conditions. Everywhere else pretty mediocre. Oh they are good in n.z too.

In South Africa starc had to use sandpaper rofl. So overall? inflated averages due to more home games and dominance at home. Terrible in Asia.

both are good in Australian conditions. Everywhere else pretty mediocre. Oh they are good in n.z too.

In South Africa starc had to use sandpaper rofl. So overall? inflated averages due to more home games and dominance at home. Terrible in Asia.

Starc is incredibly inconsistent. Starc took a 10 wicket haul in the first test in Port Elizabeth, a dry pitch, which was slightly spin friendly.
But he couldn't take wicket in the rest of the series on seam friendly and bouncy pitches

He has a horrible record in india and UAE.
But in Sri Lanka, he took 23 wickets in 3 tests, it is probably his best ever test series.

Starc is a completely hit or miss bowler. His form is very volatile and he is very injury prone.

Starc is incredibly inconsistent. Starc took a 10 wicket haul in the first test in Port Elizabeth, a dry pitch, which was slightly spin friendly.
But he couldn't take wicket in the rest of the series on seam friendly and bouncy pitches

He has a horrible record in india and UAE.
But in Sri Lanka, he took 23 wickets in 3 tests, it is probably his best ever test series.

Starc is a completely hit or miss bowler. His form is very volatile and he is very injury prone.

I don't rate speed cannon fodders like him. One dimensional.player. No real skills. Not potent enough.

give me a slower but more accurate ryan Harris anyday.

Ryan Harris could ha e easily been australia greatest gas bowler if he stayed injury free. hilfenhaus was mediocre. I rate starc around siddle level. prime siddle was quite decent.

Johnson is a lot better but again only in bouncy wickets.

Starc hasn't played tests in NZ. Away from home, he has done well only in Sri Lanka and Windies. His LOI fashioned bowling style worked against SL and WI batters.

Ryan Harris
hilfenhaus
Johnson
siddle

vs

cummins
starc
hazelwood
patto

in Aussie conditions who would you pick?
my rankings would be:

harris
cummins
Johnson
hazelwood
pattinson
starc
siddle
hilfenhaus

The Indians destroyed Mitchell Starc by blunting him

Johnson was rubbish for a long time, to a point getting mercilessly taunted by the Barmy Army. He only came of age in that famous Mitch Johnson Ashes series where he destroyed England and the following SA tour.

Starc has been great bowler from the start and continues to be so.

Johnsons career stats would look ordinary if you remove his golden 2013-14 season

I love Johnson, but he's been an average bowler for 80% of his career. Starch is probably better overall despite being inconsistent.

Umm Starc hasn't played in NZ. And if he can't do well in England or South Africa, then he will fail in NZ too.

NZ struggle in Aussie conditions. I'm sure if Australia toured NZ now, NZ would win, and Starc wouldn't wreak havoc, Cummins is more likely to do that.

australia would whoop n.z everywhere. pitch don't matter. Biggest bunnies.

nz. are only good at home and England.

Back