Money makes the mare go, the greedy nature of players undermining the spirit of professionalism

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Since the inception of the gentleman's game we have not seen such disturbing trends as we have observed recently or of late. A player leaves his franchise midway to attend a wedding, players from the national side resign early to play lucrative leagues around the world.

Quinton De Kock, Kane Williamson, Sunil Narine, Andre Russell, Imad Wasim, Mohammad Amir and many more the glaring example of such unprofessional attitude.

Players faking injuries just to keep themselves fit for expensive leagues and now recently Kane Williamson sat as an idle duck in IPL 2024 for three games for Gujrat Titans but when it comes to go across the border to play the series there then you hear a big NO from them. Appaling!!

So how do you see this bizarre phenomena?

The cricketers you have mentioned should not be grouped together with Amir.

Players like Rahkeem Cornwall, Rohit Sharma and Azam Khan are also the example of lack of professionalism as they can't avoid overeating for the sake of their side.

Players like Rahkeem Cornwall, Rohit Sharma and Azam Khan are also the example of lack of professionalism as they can't avoid overeating for the sake of their side.
Rohit is one of the greatest white ball openers and in world is he as unfit as the other 2 . He has a slight pot belly and the others are obese

A player leaves his franchise midway to attend a wedding
A random psl match to attend the wedding of a family who made sure he would never have to worry about money for the rest of his life.

And it's not that kane skipped a test series, it's a bilateral t20 series- it literally has no value and no SENA players or fans care about bilateral white ball series

A random psl match to attend the wedding of a family who made sure he would never have to worry about money for the rest of his life.

And it's not that kane skipped a test series, it's a bilateral t20 series- it literally has no value and no SENA players or fans care about bilateral white ball series
Would you have reacted the same way had opposition been India not Pakistan??

I don't think Kane or many top players take part in T20 series. Kohli alone missed like 25 T20 internationals. Rohit around 20 in the last 2 years.

Mitchell will be a certainty in world T20. But he is not going reject 14 crores for this series.

Its not just players who are greedy but coaches too, can remember Mickey Arthur flying to England to coach a club physically there while arranging a skype session for the players here in Pakistan.

For a lot of players, it's just a job and they develop their skills based on the goal of maximizing their earnings.

They won't say it out loud but that's the truth and it has to be accepted. The leagues are also easier to play in making it even harder for international teams to woo these players to go all-in with the national setup.

If this has to be resolved, it needs to be done by increasing the pay. That's easier said than done with how cricket is going these days.

Abolish international T20. Total waste of time. No team plays full strength. It is always experiment for most teams. I checked stat on how many T20 international matches top players miss. on an average 50% of the match they miss. Only Babar and Rizwan have played majority of the matchces.

Let me give a comparison in the last 2 years

Pakistan played 42 T20 iinternationals
Babar played 36 of them

New Zealand played 51 T20 internationals
Kane played 15 of them

This is the same for guys like Kohli, Rohiit. Even Gill missed a lot of matches

Would you have reacted the same way had opposition been India not Pakistan??
Yes, bilateral t20 series have 0 value, I would have no problem if he skipped it.

If kane missed a test series against pak to play in the ipl, I would be criticizing him

Abolish international T20. Total waste of time. No team plays full strength. It is always experiment for most teams. I checked stat on how many T20 international matches top players miss. on an average 50% of the match they miss. Only Babar and Rizwan have played majority of the matchces.

Let me give a comparison in the last 2 years

Pakistan played 42 T20 iinternationals
Babar played 36 of them

New Zealand played 51 T20 internationals
Kane played 15 of them

This is the same for guys like Kohli, Rohiit. Even Gill missed a lot of matches
These stats just make Babar appear a team man which he is infact as compared to above guys. The case of Pandya just came across my mind and also of Bumrah who can miss the national side but no way can they skip IPL. LOL

Not every doctor joins doctors without borders , so why is this any different?

These stats just make Babar appear a team man which he is infact as compared to above guys. The case of Pandya just came across my mind and also of Bumrah who can miss the national side but no way can they skip IPL. LOL
No. NOt a team man. Statpadding at best. The format itself is a joke format to be played elite players. That is why NZ started bringing in guys like seifert. Tests are different. Infact i want all my seniors to miss T20 matches. It should be exclusively played by next gen players. I will very happy if seniors miss T20 matches

No. NOt a team man. Statpadding at best. The format itself is a joke format to be played elite players. That is why NZ started bringing in guys like seifert. Tests are different. Infact i want all my seniors to miss T20 matches. It should be exclusively played by next gen players. I will very happy if seniors miss T20 matches
Test cricket in its current iteration is only financially viable for India, England, and Australia. And even in India it’s primarily subsidized with their massive earnings from other formats and endeavors.

There’s a reason why South Africa basically sent a brand new team for a Test series against New Zealand had all of their main players playing their own T20 league. Until this financial reality changes, we are gonna see more T20s and T20 leagues and less Tests and also less ODIs.

Well, some cricketers are making decisions based on money. I happened to see some interviews of Imad Wasim and Mohammad Amir, and they somewhat expressed that they need money to support their families.

Bilateral cricket, especially Test cricket, doesn't pay the bills anymore especially for boards like Pakistan, SL, WI, SA.

The calendar needs to reflect that more and more.

The only reason players from the past did not do the same is because they didn't have the same opportunities.

Even then, there are examples of Wasim and Waqar preferring county to international duty, players preferring Kerry Packer etc.

Test cricket in its current iteration is only financially viable for India, England, and Australia. And even in India it’s primarily subsidized with their massive earnings from other formats and endeavors.

There’s a reason why South Africa basically sent a brand new team for a Test series against New Zealand had all of their main players playing their own T20 league. Until this financial reality changes, we are gonna see more T20s and T20 leagues and less Tests and also less ODIs.

We shouldn't mix T20 leagues with T20 internationals. T20 internationals is the most useless format if you ask me. T20 leagues are way more interesting. T20 internationals are boring. I don't mind INdia playing 11 debutants in T20 internationals even in world T20. I have zero problem with that.

I don't think Kane or many top players take part in T20 series. Kohli alone missed like 25 T20 internationals. Rohit around 20 in the last 2 years.
It is not about missing a series due to an emergency or personal reason etc. It is about missing a national duty to play in a league because that league is paying more money. This is selfish and greedy stuff.

I bet Kohli and rohit will never miss a national duty to play in other league and they never played in one apart from IPL.

I can pretty much guarantee that fans who have a problem with this would have done the exact same thing if they were in those player's shoes. I hate the T20 format to death, but neither me nor anyone else can blame those players.

It is not about missing a series due to an emergency or personal reason etc. It is about missing a national duty to play in a league because that league is paying more money. This is selfish and greedy stuff.

I bet Kohli and rohit will never miss a national duty to play in other league and they never played in one apart from IPL.
No they didn't miss due to any emergency. They just took it for no real reason. BCCI has no issue with them missing. Fans don't have issues. IPL's succcess relies on presence of these players. Quid pro Quid. THere are no losers here.

OP is stuck in past.

Sportsman life is short and we should all be happy that they are now not at mercy of capricious boards/selectors and instead have options at hand to maximize their earnings potential.

Rather than blaming player, we should reprimand boards who are not able to incentivize players to play for national team or schedule series properly without overlap with marquee leagues

Lol... BCCI won't do this in upcoming T20 WC 2024. I bet that Kohli, Rohit, Ashwin and Kuldeep will be part of it. And guys like Parag won't be there even as reserves.

Lol... BCCI won't do this in upcoming T20 WC 2024. I bet that Kohli, Rohit, Ashwin and Kuldeep will be part of it. And guys like Parag won't be there even as reserves.
Somethingi as a fan i despise. They pick these players based on sponsor pressure. I absolutely don't want Rohit, Kohli, Rahul, Jadeja, Ashwin anyone over 30 other than SKY.

Since the inception of the gentleman's game we have not seen such disturbing trends as we have observed recently or of late. A player leaves his franchise midway to attend a wedding, players from the national side resign early to play lucrative leagues around the world.

Quinton De Kock, Kane Williamson, Sunil Narine, Andre Russell, Imad Wasim, Mohammad Amir and many more the glaring example of such unprofessional attitude.

Players faking injuries just to keep themselves fit for expensive leagues and now recently Kane Williamson sat as an idle duck in IPL 2024 for three games for Gujrat Titans but when it comes to go across the border to play the series there then you hear a big NO from them. Appaling!!

So how do you see this bizarre phenomena?
TBE , money makes the World go around - our living in denial is just what it is . I place TEST cricket above everything & the 1st Superstar player I loved to disappoint me was ABD when he closed his red ball career early .
Remember prime pony Shaheen deciding to skip 3rd Test v/s Aus so that he could be fresh for T20's against NZ - this is how things are !
ps : off topic , just saw you joined like same time with me but now Super Mod - how :)

I can pretty much guarantee that fans who have a problem with this would have done the exact same thing if they were in those player's shoes. I hate the T20 format to death, but neither me nor anyone else can blame those players.
True.

Imagine even as a parent your kid comes to you and says Dad I can play a test bowling in 40 degree heat in Pindi or rest and play. T20 league for 100k.

You would sit your son down and say take the 100k.

I don't have an issue with it. I have an issue with players who try to ride both horses and flatten their wallets while also pretending that they care about 'serving' their country.

How are the actions of a player unprofessional if he has taken permission from the concerned body and they have allowed him to participate in one thing and not participate in the other?

The players with central contracts have signed central contracts with their cricket boards, not the PCB. They can't participate in any tournament without the permission of their board.

In the case of the IPL, it makes complete logical sense for any player to want to honor their IPL contract that is worth millions over representing their country in a completely meaningless T20I international series, that teams use to give chances to young players anyway. If Pakistani players had IPL contracts I think alot of people would have a different view-point on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, some cricketers are making decisions based on money. I happened to see some interviews of Imad Wasim and Mohammad Amir, and they somewhat expressed that they need money to support their families.
Some fans seem to have this grave misunderstanding that everyone plays cricket to represent their country. Sure, everyone dreams of doing that and its great if you can, but ultimately nothing is more important than being able to make a living and be able to support your family.

Not everyone is going to wait around for the selectors to change their mind on them after they have been dropped from the team. Not everyone has that kind of time on their hands. Cricketers are not know for having incredibly long careers and its not like cricketers are making NFL or EPL money.

How are the actions of a player unprofessional if he has taken permission from the concerned body and they have allowed him to participate in one thing and not participate in the other?

The players with central contracts have signed central contracts with their cricket boards, not the PCB. They can't participate in any tournament without the permission of their board.

In the case of the IPL, it makes complete logical sense for any player to want to honor their IPL contract that is worth millions over representing their country in a completely meaningless T20I international series, that teams use to give chances to young players anyway. If Pakistani players had IPL contracts I think alot of people would have a different view-point on this.

I also feel like you are grouping alot of players together who all have their own unique cases. And you have not exactly given enough evidence or gone I any kind of detail to back your case.
https://m.economictimes.com/news/sp...-leagues-fica-report/articleshow/95858985.cms

Just a few examples for you bro

1.Hardik skipped indian domestic tournaments just to be fit for IPL.
2. Pollard went to Ambani's wedding mid-season in PSL
3. South Africa senior players made a mockery of Test cricket by sending a side of novices to NZ just to play SA 2024.

TBE , money makes the World go around - our living in denial is just what it is . I place TEST cricket above everything & the 1st Superstar player I loved to disappoint me was ABD when he closed his red ball career early .
Remember prime pony Shaheen deciding to skip 3rd Test v/s Aus so that he could be fresh for T20's against NZ - this is how things are !
ps : off topic , just saw you joined like same time with me but now Super Mod - how :)
It was just destined for me bro, but trust me you could be one too in future.🙂

And Yep ABD laid the foundation for destroying the Test format for SA players.

https://m.economictimes.com/news/sp...-leagues-fica-report/articleshow/95858985.cms

Just a few examples for you bro

1.Hardik skipped indian domestic tournaments just to be fit for IPL.
2. Pollard went to Ambani's wedding mid-season in PSL
3. South Africa senior players made a mockery of Test cricket by sending a side of novices to NZ just to play SA 2024.
1. Hardik Pandya has a multi-million dollar contract with Mumbai Indians. He just returned from a major injury. Obviously he is not going to jeopardize that or the responsibility of leading Mumbai Indians this season for an Indian domestic tournament that doesn't even affect his position in the Indian team. What's next, are you going to question Kohli skipping the Ranji Trophy?

2. Pollard has been with Mumbai Indians since before the PSL was even formed. There is probably a real-life relationship there that goes beyond cricket and money. If this was such an egregious case of unprofessionalism, why did his franchise allow him to go there?

3. SA20 and the revenue it brings is something Cricket South Africa is desperate for. Incase you didn't know, South African cricket isn't exactly thriving. And high profile failures like the Global League T20 have backed them into a corner where the success of this league is literally do or die for them. Because of a busy cricketing calendar that is loaded with T20 leagues this is the window they found that happened to coincide with a scheduled test series.

Alot of things you are saying sound nice in principle but don't have any real basis in reality.

To be honest nobody cares about bilateral T20Is except stats obsessed guys like Babar and Rizwan, but most Pak fans are calling them out now.

Michael Holdings on negative influence of money and T20 on the game of cricket:

“There’s no way you can lose talent. Talent does not just disappear, but the system we have now doesn’t bring that talent through in my opinion, and also, because of the fact that there is so much other 20/20 cricket going on around the world where guys can earn a lot of money, they disappear in that direction,”

If they are serious about international cricket they cannot have all 3 formats at iinternational level. There is no League cricket for Tests or ODIs. But there iis league cricket for T20 all over the world. So what is the point of internatonal T20 cricket.

If they are serious about international cricket they cannot have all 3 formats at iinternational level. There is no League cricket for Tests or ODIs. But there iis league cricket for T20 all over the world. So what is the point of internatonal T20 cricket.
ODI will disappear before international T20.

So many people in power in the cricketing world also have said that the 2023 ODI WC or the next ODI WC will probably be the last WC played.

ODI will disappear before international T20.

So many people in power in the cricketing world also have said that the 2023 ODI WC or the next ODI WC will probably be the last WC played.
Unlikely. International T20 is the one that is treated as grooming ground for youngstsers. It also happens too quickly. 3rd world T20 in 4 years. Nobody remembers this format. This is probably the one event i least care about. World T20. AN utterly meaningless tournament.

I'm surprised to see Jason Holder playing a first-class game in the county season of 2024 despite opting out of a central contract to play in T20 franchise leagues.

Kudos to Maxwell, he rejected money for national side
====

Australia star makes surprise request ahead of T20 World Cup​

The Australia star made an unusual request to team management at the IPL, with one eye on the upcoming T20 World Cup.​

Experienced Australia all-rounder Glenn Maxwell has revealed he asked to sit out a recent Indian Premier League (IPL) match to give himself a 'mental and physical break' ahead of June's ICC Men's T20 World Cup.
Maxwell watched on from the sidelines as his Royal Challengers Bengaluru (RCB) fell to a 25-run loss to Sunrisers Hyderabad on Monday, with the Australia star admitting after the match that he had asked team management to omit him from the side.

The 35-year-old has made an indifferent start to the ongoing IPL season with just 32 runs from six innings and the dip in form has seen the highly-rated RCB outfit manage just one win from seven matches and sees them languish at the bottom of the IPL table.

With Maxwell set to play a major role in Australia's tilt for T20 World Cup success in the USA and Caribbean in June, the veteran said he requested to team management that he be dropped from the side so he could reset ahead of the 20-over showcase.

“After the first few games hadn’t gone to plan personally for me, it was a pretty easy decision,” Maxwell said.
“I went to (RCB captain Faf du Plessis) and the coaches last game and said it was time to probably try someone else.

"I have been in this situation before in the past, where you can keep playing and dig yourself into a hole. Now is actually the best time to give myself a mental and physical break. With our results this year, it was quite an easy decision. We haven’t been playing as well as we would have liked as a team, and the results show that.
"My personal results have reflected the results we have had. Pretty big deficiency straight after the Powerplay and the middle overs, which have been an area of strength of mine the last couple of seasons. I felt like I wasn’t contributing in a positive way and it felt like, with the position we find ourselves at the table, to give someone else the opportunity to try their wares and hopefully, someone can make the spot their own.”

Source: ICC

Babar playing T20 in Bangladesh cricket after Aus/NZ tours is pure greed.

No one cares about bi lateral T20Is anymore. Even India mostly send B sides for T20 series. So don't see this as a negative. This is how it has been for years now. Major teams don't play their main players in every T20 game even when there is no IPL. For example Babar and Bumrah made their T20I debut in the same year. Babar has 109 T20Is and Bumrah has just 62 (15 of them are Asia Cup/WC Games).

The game of cricket is going in sharp decline now
=====

Ireland’s cricketers have rejected contract offers made to them by the sport’s governing body in the build-up to their upcoming series at home against Pakistan.

Last week, the Irish male players opted to decline terms offered by Cricket Ireland. Ireland women, who finished an unsuccessful T20 World Cup qualifying campaign on Sunday, have yet to decide on the most recent offer having opted to instead focus on their qualification attempt.

Back