"My priority will be to have an attacking team that can dominate other teams" : Misbah-ul-Haq

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
"My priority will be to have an attacking team that can dominate other teams" : Misbah-ul-Haq

The 45-year-old Misbah, who retired from international cricket in May 2017, said: “It is very humbling for me to join a select group of some of the very best to have coached the Pakistan national sides in the past. It is an honour and more than that, a massive responsibility as we live and breathe cricket.

“I know expectations are high, but I am absolutely ready and up for the task otherwise I would not have thrown my name in the hat for one of the most challenging and coveted roles in Pakistan cricket.

“We have some of the most talented and exciting cricketers, and I will like to help them train and prepare in such a way that they can play intelligently, smartly and fearlessly. I am aware this will require a change in the dressing room culture but if we have to compete consistently at the highest level, we have to embrace these modern day requirements.

“We need to understand this is a performance-oriented world and only those Pakistan players have thrived in the past who have taken the pride in donning the star and crest on their chests by delivering every time they have stepped on to the field.

“That’s the way I have played my cricket all through my career and this will not change in my new role.

“I am excited to once again have someone as experienced and knowledgeable as Waqar Younis in my corner as a bowling coach. We have exciting young fast bowlers in our ranks and there is no better person than Waqar to transform them into modern day stars.

“Both Waqar and I had a candid and frank discussion and we discussed and agreed on a number of things, including roles and responsibilities as well as how to take things forward.

“As I prepare to begin a new phase in my career, I want to thank my family, friends, former team-mates, the PCB and my club, departmental and franchise sides for supporting me in my journey.”

Press conference:

"I would like to thank the PCB for showing confidence and trust in me. I have been given two very important responsibilities, of the Chief Selector and Head Coach"

"All that I have achieved as a cricketer and this position that I've reached wouldn't have been possible without Pakistan's name. Whatever I am today, I gained respect in cricket etc. but if you remove Pakistan's name, there won't be anything left. So I would like to thank everyone. It's a big honour for me. When you have power and get such a big decision-making responsibility, it's a test for you and you need to deliver with trustworthiness and fairness which isn't easy to achieve"

"What I will say is that the way I played my cricket and gave everything for Pakistan, I will try to give whatever I have for Pakistan in these roles. I will put my full effort and energy in these roles for the betterment of Pakistan cricket, to improve our rankings and for the whole setup. The most important thing that we need to bring in is professionalism. From top to bottom and bottom to top. I will try to fulfil my responsibilities and I would like to thank everyone who supported me throughout my career and those who convinced and motivated me for this work. Hopefully with everyone's support, I will try to do my best in this role"

"I believe there has always been some confusion in these spheres regarding the words aggressive and defensive. I believe that your strategy is always based on your resources. You try to have resources via which you can easily defeat other teams and make them submit, that is the ideal scenario and as a coach, I will try to have a team that can play aggressive cricket and defeat other teams easily with attacking cricket. But at certain times, you have to assess your strength and other teams' strengths and amend your strategy accordingly"

"I will give the example of the World Cup. Before the World Cup, everyone said that England are playing the ultimate modern cricket and that no one can compete with their batsmen and bowling's dimensions. In the World Cup, till the semis, NZ were the other way around, playing with a conservative approach. Their batsmen weren't clicking and they made their strategy accordingly, depending on their resources. At the end, what was the result? Tie. Super over was also a tie and ultimately the decision was made in an unfortunate way"

"My priority will be to have an attacking team that can dominate other teams and that's the other way forward, but at certain times, you have to look at your strategy and amend it accordingly"

"I have handled criticism while playing cricket for 17 years. The best thing I can do is to listen to criticism and if someone is offering a better alternative. I believe that you should have the ability to improve yourself, and you should also have the confidence to deal with irrelevant comments"

"The practice has been that the final authority regarding playing XIs is with the captain. As a Head Coach and Chief Selector, one can give his view but the captain should get the choice of the final playing XI and I am clear on that. You can debate and sit down, or you can convince the captain about something but the ultimate decision is with the captain. But I will have responsibility as well"

"I have done lots of work with Waqar bhai, with the Pakistan team and also in PSL. We know each other and we have professionalism, he doesn't interfere in my domain and I don't interfere in his. He's clear already and we have talked. The Head Coach gives the direction but the bowlers' training is in the bowling coach's hands. The plans and what I want from them and how we move forward is obviously my decision. Everyone knows what a bowler he is and I don't think we could have gotten a better option than him, I have no doubt in this matter and I don't think there will be any issues. We know our limits and we are professional individuals"

"Since so many years, we have been crying about the structure not giving us that level of quality we need and there is a big gap between FC and Test cricket. We need to do some things for betterment. Positives and negatives also come in that, including negatives with lesser players. Some who would've been employed by departments will lose their jobs. But at the same time, competition levels will go up and automatically I think there will be quite a lot of improvement on that front. Let's see how this system works and if we can run it professionally then I think it will do a lot of good for Pakistan cricket"

"Sarfaraz has worked hard at the camp and has improved his fitness, we will keep all these things under consideration and I will meet the Chairman etc. over the next week or so and we will make the required decisions"

"I debuted in 2001 and from 2002, I have been leading some team or the other at lower levels and then later, Pakistan team, A teams, etc. The key factor of man management requires you to keep an equal relationship with everyone and that's the only thing that can make you successful and you get respect within the team. When you have a standard and you draw a line, players can be within the line or beyond, doesn't matter who it is. That's how we can move forward, you have control and everyone respects you as well"

"You can't make a prediction about anything. But for example we suffered in Test cricket since 2017 when myself and Younis Khan retired, the same happened with SL. That was the big factor and Pakistan had to rebuild. So Test cricket is the priority, if we improve in Test cricket then automatically you will improve in 50 overs. The more good players you have in Test cricket, the more they will be able to perform in shorter version and win matches. So you have to pay a lot of attention to these things. It's not easy, being a selector, being fair with everyone, observing attitudes, temperament, fitness, then you select players"

"I always said even when I was captain, that we're not consistent, and that's in terms of our routines, performance and training. One day fielding is outstanding, next day it isn't. Once we have discipline and professionalism in all aspects, your food and fitness and routine, then when you go inside with the same energy level every day then you will see results. I want to see the team at a high standard all the time and once you don't standardise roles and routines, it's difficult and that's what I will focus on, to try and make our team professional, as we see with England, Australia, India etc."

"You should look at players on the basis of how long they can win matches for the country and be top performers, if they are physically fit. These players can play at the top level and have the right to do so. When you have a 24 year old performing well with an upward graph and a 34 year old performing OK also but with a downward curve, then you can compare. If a player can serve Pakistan for 2-3 years, he has the right to play"

"All players can get injuries like muscle pulls etc., no matter how fit they are. But yes we do have a problem and there is no need to hide it. If we train only keeping fitness tests in mind then that is wrong. We have this type of mindset occasionally, the fitness test is coming up so some do training on an emergency basis and once it's cleared, forget about it. So my policy on this is clear, the standards should be maintained and every 2-3 days players need to be checked, to see where fat levels are and where the fitness levels are and where they are going. This will bring in discipline. I need to be fit all the time, a test can happen anytime, that should be the mentality"

"Fielding relates with fitness. If you have fitter players in the field, they will be quicker, they will take catches instead of 'good try' so there is a simple psyche behind this. Of course, we will try to improve this"

"There is a bit of misconception regarding PSL here, our top level cricket is PSL and you mostly get T20 players from that. If you have a performer in all formats then at PSL you check his temperament, how he deals with cameras and crowds so he can be selected for other formats, but purely on the basis of PSL you can't pick players for Tests or ODIs"

"Regarding retirements, we've had discussions about this and players should take the board into confidence before announcing retirements. Without asking, they shouldn't do so. Whether it's Azhar Ali or Mohammad Amir, it's there own decision and what they do is up to them now"

"Regarding the squads (for domestic cricket), believe me and Wasim Khan is the witness for this, we would start the meeting at 10am and finish at 10pm. It's very unfortunate that when we were looking at the list of top batsmen, when you reach #7 of 8, the average dropped below 30. So for that, we had to look at players' performances over the past few seasons. Someone might have had an average of 24, but we looked at it age-wise. If the player was on the way up season by season, even with one aberration in between, we tried to give them a chance. So these teams were made with lots of difficulty. Out of 390+ players, we had to pick 190 and there were no obvious choices with players with averages of 24-25. It was difficult and we tried our best and kept Pakistan in the picture and did the work with honesty, seeing what can help Pakistan in future"

"With regards to Azhar Ali and Asad Shafiq were previously performing then you can't just put them aside and start trying to groom other players. But players did get chances in between whenever there was an opening and they had to grab that. You try to keep these players around the team and prepare them mentally and technically so they can replace players in the team. The biggest reason for Pakistan's struggles was that when you lose two major players together then it's difficult. We've got some good players and they are performing in other formats. Haris Sohail and Babar Azam are performing but you can still see the gap. We will try our best and I will put a lot of focus on this, that we have proper replacements so that if any player misses out then we have backup available"

"We need to understand that for an all-rounder, he needs to be complete in one aspect. Either he should be a full bowler, or capable of batting in the top 6. When there's a pressure situation, a half bowler and half batsman becomes tough for a team. Unfortunately, such players are less in Pakistan. There's 2-3 players like Faheem Ashraf who couldn't deliver, but if he does more work, he can do well, then there's Aamer Yamin and Amad Butt. Our resources are limited. They haven't gotten too many chances so we will try our best to develop them"

Last edited by a moderator:
I am disappointed in Misbah's role leading up to finally landing the job.

Good luck to him, and Pakistan, though.

“I will like to help them train and prepare in such a way that they can play intelligently, smartly and fearlessly. I am aware this will require a change in the dressing room culture but if we have to compete consistently at the highest level, we have to embrace these modern day requirements.“

Which you failed to do in 7 years as captain.

Appointing Misbah based on his captaincy tenure and zero experience as coach at any level shows how unprofessional the PCB is.

While Misbah did well as Test captain in the UAE, he was poor outside Asia except in England. Even in the UAE, apart from the Australian whitewash in 2014, we were hardly dominant.

The rate at which Kohli has led India to Test wins and the culture that he has created shows how superior a leader he is, and why Misbah’s achievements as Test captain were nothing exceptional.

Furthermore, in light of our recent humiliation at the World Cup, appointing a coach who badly failed as Limited Overs captain is inexcusable.

It appears that the PCB have appointed him because the 2016 Mace have flashed in their eyes. A number one ranking that was achieved for three weeks because the vastly superior Indian team had their match abandoned due rain. Misbah has been rewarded for getting lucky with a technicality.

As far as the Test Championship is concerned, Misbah auditioned for it by losing Test matches to Sri Lanka, New Zealand, South Africa and West Indies in the UAE in successive years, in addition to opening the bowling with Yasir Shah in Sydney.

Well, at least with the dissolution of Zimbabwe cricket, he won’t be able to lose a Test match to them like he did 6 years ago.

[MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION]
We hardly ever agree but I agree with you 100%. That fluke number 1 ranking playing on dead garbage pitches that ruin fast bowlers and limit batsmen's strokeplay is just that, a fluke.

Misbah's appointment is a betrayal of trust and defies all logic.
PCB truly is run by morons.

I am not in favour of Misbah occupying this dual position. But I wouldn’t have much confidence in Dean Jones either.

We were pretty dominant at home (UAE) under his tenure [selective stats by Mamoon above notwithstanding...] and fairly poor abroad, like almost every Pak team in history. But Misbah was notoriously poor in ODI cricket and was in charge when we started nosediving in our ODI cricket...

PCB should have been realistic about what he can really help us accomplish in ODI cricket... I don’t have high hopes here. Also I don’t want to see Rahat Ali back in the team...

Appointing Misbah based on his captaincy tenure and zero experience as coach at any level shows how unprofessional the PCB is.

While Misbah did well as Test captain in the UAE, he was poor outside Asia except in England. Even in the UAE, apart from the Australian whitewash in 2014, we were hardly dominant.

The rate at which Kohli has led India to Test wins and the culture that he has created shows how superior a leader he is, and why Misbah’s achievements as Test captain were nothing exceptional.

Furthermore, in light of our recent humiliation at the World Cup, appointing a coach who badly failed as Limited Overs captain is inexcusable.

It appears that the PCB have appointed him because the 2016 Mace have flashed in their eyes. A number one ranking that was achieved for three weeks because the vastly superior Indian team had their match abandoned due rain. Misbah has been rewarded for getting lucky with a technicality.

As far as the Test Championship is concerned, Misbah auditioned for it by losing Test matches to Sri Lanka, New Zealand, South Africa and West Indies in the UAE in successive years, in addition to opening the bowling with Yasir Shah in Sydney.

Well, at least with the dissolution of Zimbabwe cricket, he won’t be able to lose a Test match to them like he did 6 years ago.

Spot on. Completely agree.

During his breif stint as a TV cricket pundit, he has no clue what he was talking about, saying that Hasan and Wahab bowled better in the first match of WC, or still critisizing Shaheen after his performances against NZ and Afghanistan. Worrying times may be ahead.

Lets hope he turns out to be good, but looking at his style of leadership in the past, that is very unlikely.

I wouldn't be surprised if they made him Batting coach as well.

During his breif stint as a TV cricket pundit, he has no clue what he was talking about, saying that Hasan and Wahab bowled better in the first match of WC, or still critisizing Shaheen after his performances against NZ and Afghanistan. Worrying times may be ahead.

Lets hope he turns out to be good, but looking at his style of leadership in the past, that is very unlikely.

I wouldn't be surprised if they made him Batting coach as well.

did you watch the matches or just looked at the stats?

Wahab was reversing the ball and bowled really well.

Shaheen coudln't get his lne right in the first 4 matches, and it was after those early matches that he got his line right.

Misbah, make your words count!

We want results....

Its a result based business and now that he has got a dual role he will have no excuses if the team doesn't perform.

Fighting words but let's see if Misbah can back it up. Whilst I would've appointed a more experienced international coach, he deserves a fair chance.

his words go against his actions as a captain.

as much as i hope this statement is true. only time will tell

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">It's a big responsibility and a huge role that <a href="https://twitter.com/captainmisbahpk?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@captainmisbahpk</a> has to play. I wish him the very best, we should support him and give him a proper chance.</p>— Shahid Afridi (@SAfridiOfficial) <a href="https://twitter.com/SAfridiOfficial/status/1169205441890590720?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 4, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I would like to take this opportunity to wish <a href="https://twitter.com/captainmisbahpk?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@captainmisbahpk</a> & <a href="https://twitter.com/waqyounis99?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@waqyounis99</a> on their new roles with <a href="https://twitter.com/TheRealPCB?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@TheRealPCB</a> as Head Coach & Bowling Coach respectively. Having shared the dressing room with both, I can certainly vouch that they’ll give their 110% & take Pak &#55356;&#57295; to next level. <a href="https://t.co/bp9UwJiSII">pic.twitter.com/bp9UwJiSII</a></p>— Younus Khan (@YounusK75) <a href="https://twitter.com/YounusK75/status/1169222340154134528?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 4, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Shaheen coudln't get his lne right in the first 4 matches, and it was after those early matches that he got his line right.

I'm talking about after Shaheen's performances against NZ and Afghanistan.

Also I was talking about Wahab's first game, not the rest. Wahab Bowled rubbish in the first game and Misbah was praising Wahab just because he bowled a couple above 140 kph.

Not a good choice to assign a dual role to someone who doesn't have any experience in either. I would have loved to see him coaching U19 like Dravid. Not sure about his attacking approach but he is the person who can insist on fitness considering his eagerness to fitness level.

Misbah, arrange all the matches at UAE and get couple of chuckers like you had in Saeed Ajmal and Hafeez and play "attacking cricket" with them. Once the chuckers are banned , brings some new chuckers and keep winning, ICC will not going to delete chuckers records and wins in near future.

Yes attacking cricket..... under Misbah, there were ODI matches when Pak opened the bowling with Umar Gul as our sole pacer and the rest of the bowlers were spinners, half of whom were chucking. Talk about attacking cricket.

Test championship is a priority, and our t20 team is pretty settled, so this is a good decision. Misbah has captained Islamabad united to trophies as well.

Dont agree with this appointment but the team comes above all.

Lets back Misbah and hope Pakistan can do well in the coming games.

Spot on.

I am not in favour of Misbah occupying this dual position. But I wouldn’t have much confidence in Dean Jones either.

We were pretty dominant at home (UAE) under his tenure [selective stats by Mamoon above notwithstanding...] and fairly poor abroad, like almost every Pak team in history. But Misbah was notoriously poor in ODI cricket and was in charge when we started nosediving in our ODI cricket...

PCB should have been realistic about what he can really help us accomplish in ODI cricket... I don’t have high hopes here. Also I don’t want to see Rahat Ali back in the team...

So coach is appointed for UAE only based on his past glory...

The mantra is play atleast 2 genuine spinners u have in rank turners, isnt that simple

he is talking about the 1st match against WI where Hasan and Wahab offered short pitch pies and got hammered...:steyn

You know what's great about Misbah's appointment?

Besides he's going to be GREAT for Pak cricket, there's one more thing that's thoroughly enjoyable.

That is, the BURN his haters have been receiving since the rumors started. Today, it's at its peak! Wasim Khan made the right decision. :najam

Being a thorough professional, he chose another professional man with integrity, great leadership & cricketing skills, and someone who can take us out of the dark Mickey Arthur era.

Here's to success and professionalism under Misbah!

Besides he's going to be GREAT for Pak cricket, there's one more thing that's thoroughly enjoyable.

That is, the BURN his haters have been receiving since the rumors started. Today, it's at its peak! Wasim Khan made the right decision. :najam

Being a thorough professional, he chose another professional man with integrity, great leadership & cricketing skills, and someone who can take us out of the dark Mickey Arthur era.

No real burn to be honest. If you are just enjoying the so called burn rather than what is best for Pakistan Cricket then i really pity you.

Otherwise i hope there is a serious indepth investigation as to how Misbah has been receiving so many excessive favors from the PCB since 2007. It is very unusual, unprecedented where these favors were not granted to much bigger players than him. He clearly has a powerful backer.

I actually agree with you here

Ahh haters out in full force even before he has started.
Full support to Misbah and inshallah he will be able to bring the team to the next level.

In Misbah we trust!

Humiliation at the WC, WHAT?

which you failed to do in 7 years as captain.

Appointing misbah based on his captaincy tenure and zero experience as coach at any level shows how unprofessional the pcb is.

While misbah did well as test captain in the uae, he was poor outside asia except in england. Even in the uae, apart from the australian whitewash in 2014, we were hardly dominant.

The rate at which kohli has led india to test wins and the culture that he has created shows how superior a leader he is, and why misbah’s achievements as test captain were nothing exceptional.

Furthermore, in light of our recent humiliation at the world cup, appointing a coach who badly failed as limited overs captain is inexcusable.

It appears that the pcb have appointed him because the 2016 mace have flashed in their eyes. A number one ranking that was achieved for three weeks because the vastly superior indian team had their match abandoned due rain. Misbah has been rewarded for getting lucky with a technicality.

As far as the test championship is concerned, misbah auditioned for it by losing test matches to sri lanka, new zealand, south africa and west indies in the uae in successive years, in addition to opening the bowling with yasir shah in sydney.

Well, at least with the dissolution of zimbabwe cricket, he won’t be able to lose a test match to them like he did 6 years ago.

potw

[MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION] at his sublime best. Excellent post with subtle nuances to make blood pressure of some people shoot up.

So coach is appointed for UAE only based on his past glory...

The mantra is play atleast 2 genuine spinners u have in rank turners, isnt that simple

That is not what I said at all, if you read the first line of my post... but actually your mantra shows you didn’t watch the games carefully... they weren’t rank turners apart from in one series against England. Otherwise, they turned on the fourth and fifth day and were not ‘rank turners’ as you’ve had in Sri Lanka and India in the recent past, though India has now stopped doing this.

Last edited:
Misbae is a great thinker and reader of the test game no doubt . His LOI's approach is trash and has to place in modern cricket .Also , he has a habit of picking tried and tested failures and doesn't give many chances to younger guys. I am ok in teh short term since he can help us build a tea, for teh world test championship but in teh longer run he will destroy our ODI team .

I don't think he will attacking, he's a defensive minded captain, just like how he was as a player. Being defensive isn't a bad thing, nor is being ultra aggressive necessarily a good thing. If anything defensive captains I find are better, much harder to score runs off as they aren't given freely.

"Dark" Mickey Arthur era

Won Pakistan the 2017 CT held in England.

In the WC, Pakistan beat 4 of the top 8 ranked sides (out of 6), including two semi-finalists, who both went on to reach the final. Overall, Pakistan marginally missed out on the Semis on NRR.

Misbah's era

In the 2013 CT (also held in England), Misbah's side crashed out of the group stage losing every game.

But I guess you'll still find a way to defend him for selecting Imran Farhat to open the batting throughout the tournament, right?

In the 2015 WC, under Misbah Pakistan could only muster one win against a top eight ranked ODI side. The other three wins in the tournament came against Ireland, Zimbabwe and UAE, who are all minnows!

The difference between the 80% that voted against his appointment and the likes of you are, is the fact that we don't have to resort to desperate attempts to paint a false picture of Misbah, when he gets exposed time and time again...

Yes attacking cricket..... under Misbah, there were ODI matches when Pak opened the bowling with Umar Gul as our sole pacer and the rest of the bowlers were spinners, half of whom were chucking. Talk about attacking cricket.

Not to mention, he and his buddies bottled it on so many occasions whilst batting, especially chasing where they were beyond mediocre.

This is just trolling of highest order!

You'll develop youngster in a way that they play fearlessly? :)))

You, yourself, were the most meek batsman in our team!!!!

That is not what I said at all, if you read the first line of my post... but actually your mantra shows you didn’t watch the games carefully... they weren’t rank turners apart from in one series against England. Otherwise, they turned on the fourth and fifth day and were not ‘rank turners’ as you’ve had in Sri Lanka and India in the recent past, though India has now stopped doing this.

Almost every series pak win with the help of spinners especially against SENA teams and also against SRILANKA...

"My priority will be to have an attacking team that can dominate other teams..."

Coming from the most defensive cricketer (as player and Coach) to have ever played for Pakistan :))

No real burn to be honest. If you are just enjoying the so called burn rather than what is best for Pakistan Cricket then i really pity you.

Otherwise i hope there is a serious indepth investigation as to how Misbah has been receiving so many excessive favors from the PCB since 2007. It is very unusual, unprecedented where these favors were not granted to much bigger players than him. He clearly has a powerful backer.

I also pity him because the fact of the matter is he supports Misbah more than the Pakistan team.

In my opinion this decision is going to backfire. Coaches who remain in the background and do their job silently are the best ones. Examples : Gary Kirsten, Tom Moody, John Wright. I can see Misbah giving statements after statements and captain of Pakistan team sitting in the background. :inti

2-2 in England under Mickey was supposedly because of Waqar Younis . Will the same Ppers give Mickey credit if Pakistan do well right now :inti

In my opinion this decision is going to backfire. Coaches who remain in the background and do their job silently are the best ones. Examples : Gary Kirsten, Tom Moody, John Wright. I can see Misbah giving statements after statements and captain of Pakistan team sitting in the background. :inti

you forgot Ravi lol

Criticism is justified. People are rightly frustrated.

That said, good luck to Misbah and Waqar. It will be a tough challenge.

Mickey was not a bad coach. But I guess it's time to move on. Pakistani team must try to become competitive again and improve rankings.

[MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION]
We hardly ever agree but I agree with you 100%. That fluke number 1 ranking playing on dead garbage pitches that ruin fast bowlers and limit batsmen's strokeplay is just that, a fluke.

Misbah's appointment is a betrayal of trust and defies all logic.
PCB truly is run by morons.

Misbah's team stayed at no.1 for hardly a month

They were pushed to no.5 or no.6 within 6 months

This is seriously funny I never thought I'll ever see Misbah saying this attacking etc etc as a coach..!!

"My priority will be to have an attacking team that can dominate other teams..."

Coming from the most defensive cricketer (as player and Coach) to have ever played for Pakistan :))
this is the reason why i have stopped taking the views of critics seriously.

WE are yet to see Misbahs team play under his coaching and this poster is already giving a conclusion that he is defensive as coach.

Most people have come up with their conclusions even before anything has happened, this shows how bias the views will be on Misbah

Only now people will know the worth of Mickey. By our standards he was a good coach.

People want elite people like Langer and Pont to work for PCB lmao

this is the reason why i have stopped taking the views of critics seriously.

WE are yet to see Misbahs team play under his coaching and this poster is already giving a conclusion that he is defensive as coach.

Most people have come up with their conclusions even before anything has happened, this shows how bias the views will be on Misbah

I've seen all his tactical blunders, most notably during the Aussie tour, where he was exposed by Ian Chappell and the rest of the Channel 9 commentary team. I'll never forget how he bowled Yasir Shah with the new ball and all those leg-side ultra-defensive fields. He is by far the worst captain I've ever seen in tests held in Australia. If you can defend this level of incompetency, then this actually shows how biased you are in favour of Misbah.

His team selection, phobia for youngsters (for Pakistan), field placings and other tactical blunders sum up his lack of cricketing intelligence, which has been very much apparent since the 2007 WT20 final, when he decided to play the scoop against one of the worst bowlers I've ever seen from an international team.

There is no hope for Pakistan under Misbah and I very much doubt he will be able to last until the 2023 WC. I am certain he will be fired by then.

I predict he will be fired by 2022 in reflection of Pakistan's demise. I just hope it's not sooner rather than later, so my team has enough time to rebuild going into the 2023 WC. I emphasis "my team" because I have no doubt in my mind you support Misbah more than Pakistan, which was pretty obvious with all your bundle of emotions following his retirement when you said, "I don't feel like watching Pakistan cricket anymore" and more recently "woooo I will watch Pakistan cricket again", when the news broke out that he was in line to replace Mickey. With all due respect this by far the worst mindset I've ever come across from a cricket fan.

The fact that he put himself forward for this role (having very recently served the PCB as a committee member) not only reeks of conflict of interest but truly shows how selfish he is, as he's not qualified and nor does he have any relevant coaching experience to be shoehorned as a Head Coach of the national side. This shows he has no regard for due process and meritocracy. But I guess that's expected from a man who continued to cling on in the PSL, well beyond his sell-by-date.

I just hope one day you can realise there much is more to Pakistan cricket than just Misbah. If some of the older members of this forum can move on from Pakistan's all-time greatest cricketer (IK), then so can you.

Last edited:
Misbah's team stayed at no.1 for hardly a month

They were pushed to no.5 or no.6 within 6 months

That # 1 position was a fake one, thanks to two chuckers on UAE wickets were making mockery of cricket, till ICC banned both of them.

That # 1 position was a fake one, thanks to two chuckers on UAE wickets were making mockery of cricket, till ICC banned both of them.

We became #1 in Tests two years after Saeed Ajmal played his last Test match.

Only now people will know the worth of Mickey. By our standards he was a good coach.

People want elite people like Langer and Pont to work for PCB lmao

I guess everyone will agree only if we keep on loosing almost every home series along with away series for couple of years and we are ranked worse than 7th in Test and 6th in ODIs (Standards set by Mickey in that regard are pretty high and not easy to attain) but before that happening I think its too early to judge and say Arther was better.

I guess everyone will agree only if we keep on loosing almost every home series along with away series for couple of years and we are ranked worse than 7th in Test and 6th in ODIs (Standards set by Mickey in that regard are pretty high and not easy to attain) but before that happening I think its too early to judge and say Arther was better.

Rankings don't matter if you're a no show in the big tournaments.

South Africa has always had a very respectable ranking but we all know how well they play tournament cricket.

Teams are judged by their trophy cabinet not their rankings.

Atleast Mickey didn't have excuses for defeats like others before him did. You could almost feel the genuine passion inside him for the team whenever we saw his animated reactions during the matches. He never hid his displeasure with any specific player's performance and was very loud and clear on his selection criteria.

I'll remember Mickey as the one coach who brought a fitness culture in our team environment and also gave huge importance to improvements in fielding and nurturing youngsters.

He'll be remembered in history as the coach who brought PAK ODI cricket from 90s era back to modern times.

Rankings don't matter if you're a no show in the big tournaments.

South Africa has always had a very respectable ranking but we all know how well they play tournament cricket.

Teams are judged by their trophy cabinet not their rankings.

Atleast Mickey didn't have excuses for defeats like others before him did. You could almost feel the genuine passion inside him for the team whenever we saw his animated reactions during the matches. He never hid his displeasure with any specific player's performance and was very loud and clear on his selection criteria.

I'll remember Mickey as the one coach who brought a fitness culture in our team environment and also gave huge importance to improvements in fielding and nurturing youngsters.

He'll be remembered in history as the coach who brought PAK ODI cricket from 90s era back to modern times.

To be honest other than CT17 we were pretty average in tournaments we have played under him as well. Also you wont see teams loosing everything outside of tournaments but winning the tournaments regularly. Consistency is a process which needs handwork, strategy, planning etc.

Yes he used to express his emotions and passion throughout the game as well but that is not the best trait of a coach/manager in cricket. Expressing displeasure towards a player in media, being animated are good traits? I dont think so and have rarely seen many successful coaches in cricket with such traits.

Travis Bayliss (Eng Coach) he rarely laughs, throws his hat, grinds his teeth but gets the job done and Eng won the WC. Same was the case with Gary Kirsten, Daren Lehamn etc Coaches who actually got the WCs and their teams did decently throughout and not just in tournaments.

Fitness culture I have heard this word being positively attributed to mickey number of times. However, while it was good in words but we didnt see that practically when we were playing in the tournament "CW 19"for which all these preparations supposedly were. There were players with their bellies out and we dropped countless number of catches even in the matches we won i.e SA match.

He must have brought in number of good regimes but if those cant produce actual, visible results at international level than thats not acceptable.

Last edited:
To be honest other than CT17 we were pretty average in tournaments we have played under him as well. Also you wont see teams loosing everything outside of tournaments but winning the tournaments regularly. Consistency is a process which needs handwork, strategy, planning etc.

Yes he used to express his emotions and passion throughout the game as well but that is not the best trait of a coach/manager in cricket. Expressing displeasure towards a player in media, being animated are good traits? I dont think so and have rarely seen many successful coaches in cricket with such traits.

Travis Bayliss (Eng Coach) he rarely laughs, throws his hat, grinds his teeth but gets the job done and Eng won the WC. Same was the case with Gary Kirsten, Daren Lehamn etc Coaches who actually got the WCs and their teams did decently throughout and not just in tournaments.

Fitness culture I have heard this word being positively attributed to mickey number of times. However, while it was good in words but we didnt see that practically when we were playing in the tournament "CW 19"for which all these preparations supposedly were. There were players with their bellies out and we dropped countless number of catches even in the matches we won i.e SA match.

He must have brought in number of good regimes but if those cant produce actual, visible results at international level than thats not acceptable.

People don't know the facts but Mickey Arthur's relationship with the squad had really declined towards the end. He would be constantly shouting and using unparliamentary language against the team in team meetings towards the end. One of the fights with the squad took place after his wife sent him a divorce notice.

There is a reason the PCB sent Inzi to England during the WC to play peacemaker between the players and coach.

Towards the end of his tenure Mickey Arthur looked like a man out of ideas and he was no longer implementing his ruthless fitness culture anymore.

The PCB still gave him every opportunity to make his case for an extension and he failed to make his case

People don't know the facts but Mickey Arthur's relationship with the squad had really declined towards the end. He would be constantly shouting and using unparliamentary language against the team in team meetings towards the end. One of the fights with the squad took place after his wife sent him a divorce notice.

There is a reason the PCB sent Inzi to England during the WC to play peacemaker between the players and coach.

Towards the end of his tenure Mickey Arthur looked like a man out of ideas and he was no longer implementing his ruthless fitness culture anymore.

The PCB still gave him every opportunity to make his case for an extension and he failed to make his case

I would advise you to not take these masala stories too seriously.

I would advise you to not take these masala stories too seriously.

The problem is the actual interview that Misbah gave here, which shows just how appalling his judgment actually is.

Consider his comments on Azhar Ali and Faheem Ashraf.

Azhar averages 28 since the grown-ups left the team two years ago. In both Test and English First Class cricket it is obvious that his age-related decline is irreversible and terminal. Yet Misbah says
"With regards to Azhar Ali and Asad Shafiq were previously performing then you can't just put them aside and start trying to groom other players".

The Faheem Ashraf case is even worse.

In Tests outside Asia, this is Faheem's superb record:

Batting:

1-69
1-59
3-60
6-99

How do you drop a Number 8 outside Asia who in his last test outside Asia - in South Africa - took 6 wickets for 99?

Yet Misbah has now stated "There's 2-3 players like Faheem Ashraf who couldn't deliver, but if he does more work, he can do well, then there's Aamer Yamin and Amad Butt."

So Azhar Ali fails outside Asia but has 9 lives.

Faheem Ashraf succeeds outside Asia and is thrown out.

It's disgusting. Absolutely despicable.

The problem is the actual interview that Misbah gave here, which shows just how appalling his judgment actually is.

Consider his comments on Azhar Ali and Faheem Ashraf.

Azhar averages 28 since the grown-ups left the team two years ago. In both Test and English First Class cricket it is obvious that his age-related decline is irreversible and terminal. Yet Misbah says
"With regards to Azhar Ali and Asad Shafiq were previously performing then you can't just put them aside and start trying to groom other players".

The Faheem Ashraf case is even worse.

In Tests outside Asia, this is Faheem's superb record:

Batting:

1-69
1-59
3-60
6-99

How do you drop a Number 8 outside Asia who in his last test outside Asia - in South Africa - took 6 wickets for 99?

Yet Misbah has now stated "There's 2-3 players like Faheem Ashraf who couldn't deliver, but if he does more work, he can do well, then there's Aamer Yamin and Amad Butt."

So Azhar Ali fails outside Asia but has 9 lives.

Faheem Ashraf succeeds outside Asia and is thrown out.

It's disgusting. Absolutely despicable.

The quotes are somewhat out of context, I suppose that is the danger when I don't transcribe the questions...

Misbah was asked about Azhar/Asad failing to deliver after Misbah/Younis left, so he said that they couldn't have discarded them at the time as they were performing well. That they failed to carry over the mantle is another matter and it remains to be seen how Misbah handles the situation when they inevitably fail to step up to the mark.

With regards to Faheem Ashraf, that quote was in the context of developing power-hitters which is what the question was initially about, so I'm quite sure that Misbah was referring to his limited-overs exploits, where his highest score is 28.

Why is everyone ignoring the fact that Misbah's Islamabad United has been the most attacking and dominating team throughout PSL's history?

I've seen all his tactical blunders, most notably during the Aussie tour, where he was exposed by Ian Chappell and the rest of the Channel 9 commentary team. I'll never forget how he bowled Yasir Shah with the new ball and all those leg-side ultra-defensive fields. He is by far the worst captain I've ever seen in tests held in Australia. If you can defend this level of incompetency, then this actually shows how biased you are in favour of Misbah.

His team selection, phobia for youngsters (for Pakistan), field placings and other tactical blunders sum up his lack of cricketing intelligence, which has been very much apparent since the 2007 WT20 final, when he decided to play the scoop against one of the worst bowlers I've ever seen from an international team.

There is no hope for Pakistan under Misbah and I very much doubt he will be able to last until the 2023 WC. I am certain he will be fired by then.

I predict he will be fired by 2022 in reflection of Pakistan's demise. I just hope it's not sooner rather than later, so my team has enough time to rebuild going into the 2023 WC. I emphasis "my team" because I have no doubt in my mind you support Misbah more than Pakistan, which was pretty obvious with all your bundle of emotions following his retirement when you said, "I don't feel like watching Pakistan cricket anymore" and more recently "woooo I will watch Pakistan cricket again", when the news broke out that he was in line to replace Mickey. With all due respect this by far the worst mindset I've ever come across from a cricket fan.

The fact that he put himself forward for this role (having very recently served the PCB as a committee member) not only reeks of conflict of interest but truly shows how selfish he is, as he's not qualified and nor does he have any relevant coaching experience to be shoehorned as a Head Coach of the national side. This shows he has no regard for due process and meritocracy. But I guess that's expected from a man who continued to cling on in the PSL, well beyond his sell-by-date.

I just hope one day you can realise there much is more to Pakistan cricket than just Misbah. If some of the older members of this forum can move on from Pakistan's all-time greatest cricketer (IK), then so can you.

we got our own ravi shastri lol

This, coming from one of the most mediocre cricketer and captain Pakistan ever produced, is simply laughable. It's not like he played his cricket in the 80's. The man was leading our limited overs team into rock bottom depths just four years ago.

One of the worst decisions in the history of Pakistan cricket.

Lol Misbah was just trolling Pakistani Cricket followers

Hope his team will be more attack minded the he was as a batsman. His innings against India in the 2015 WC semi still angers me.

Hope his team will be more attack minded the he was as a batsman. His innings against India in the 2015 WC semi still angers me.

I was going to write the 2011 semi but I think that's what you mean although the 2015 campaign was poor under him as well. Not sure what he was trying to do in that semi with only 260 odd to chase. Absolutely dreadful, shameful and shambolic. :facepalm:

I was going to write the 2011 semi but I think that's what you mean although the 2015 campaign was poor under him as well. Not sure what he was trying to do in that semi with only 260 odd to chase. Absolutely dreadful, shameful and shambolic. :facepalm:

so wait, 2011 was his fault even though he was not captain. and 2015 is his fault where he was captain.

When you have made a career at being defensive. You ain't going to be attacking as coach.
He is just saying the right words. Action will not live up to the words.

Yeah the match where Zaheer caught him at the boundary to finish the match. Just hope his team don't play that brand of Cricket wasting overs then chasing a hundred runs in three overs. There is something incredible negative about Misbah that gives me the creeps!

Yeah the match where Zaheer caught him at the boundary to finish the match. Just hope his team don't play that brand of Cricket wasting overs then chasing a hundred runs in three overs. There is something incredible negative about Misbah that gives me the creeps!

You may get 30+ year old cricketers who will play slow as well. Good luck team Misbah.

Why is everyone ignoring the fact that Misbah's Islamabad United has been the most attacking and dominating team throughout PSL's history?

Not to mention Islamabad gave most chances to youngsters such as Shadab, Asif, Faheem. But these things don't fit the haters agenda. These people will find any excuse to blame Misbah

Pakistan - Only country in the world with no selectors or scouts!

I know Misbah is supposed to be the chief selector / head coach with the six coaches of the provincial sides being his ‘eyes and ears’ on the ground in domestic cricket. However, for me, this could amount to essentially having no independent selectors or scouts in the circuit and although I like a lot of the changes brought about by the new PCB team, this one is a big mistake imo.

Here is a scenario:

A series comes around in 2020

Misbah has been head coach of the national side for the whole year so has not been playing or watching domestic cricket, apart from the PSL for a whole year.

He relies on the coaches of the provincial sides. Now the coaches for the provincial sides will most probably recommend their own players for the squad. Misbah, being the chief selector, has to make the final call. But he has not been watching any domestic cricket since he is also the head coach! I am sure Wasim Khan’s answer will be twofold:

1. The plan is for the provincial coaches to review the opposition team’s performance after each domestic game

2. The stats will reveal what we need to know anyway, since the domestic standard will be better, we will get a clearer picture through statistical performance

OK, with regards to no. 1 - the provincial coaches reviewing opposition teams in domestic games is OK, but what will happen when it comes to squad selection? Will they be banned from putting forward players from their own team? With regards to no. 2 - this philosophy amounts to basically having no selectors, since anyone can read statistics. So I think this is a big mistake and there is a very, very important role for INDEPENDENT chief selectors and scouts for the reasons highlighted above.

Also if the head coach is the chief selector, then they will have a big conflict themselves since as head coach their job is to back the players in their squad, whereas the chief selector’s job is to make rational, non-emotional evaluations of players.

Last edited:
Back