Need help with severe overthinking

Smudger

Tape Ball Captain
Runs
I am embarrassed to talk about it to anyone. I am suffering from this overthinking which I developed in probably mid July. Its so stupid that I am feeling ashamed to put it here even though pp provides good anonymity.
So here the story goes. It was after the covid hit in Pakistan. I gave my exams in March and started taking online classes in April. Everything was going fine till maybe July. I was studying hard and was enjoying myself at the same time. But then suddenly out of nowhere I started thinking that I should start playing a video game when free. I regularly played cricket captain for the past 3 years. It was fun and enjoyable. But then I started searching internet for a stress busting game. I visited childish things website and found out that cc2020 would be released in August. I started visiting that forum daily and started reading reviews of people on the game's previous versions. I found that majority of people played with highlights on and I always played on none highlights. I use to visualize real players stances and bowling actions while playing the game. I purchased cc2020 and would be confused about whether to play it on none highlights or with highlights on. Everyday I got up I started thinking about it and started having flashbacks of highlights throughout the day all the time. I went back to none highlights and started thinking of players stances and bowling actions all time. I am studying chartered accountancy and cannot get myself to study like I use to. Before this problem I use to cc and not think about it afterwards but now the situation has gotten really bad. I forgot to mention I installed and uninstalled it multiple times daily.
Sorry for such a long and stupid post. Can anyone tell me the cure of this overthinking. I am having a headache all the time. Any help will be greatly appreciated. [MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION] [MENTION=132916]Junaids[/MENTION]

I am embarrassed to talk about it to anyone. I am suffering from this overthinking which I developed in probably mid July. Its so stupid that I am feeling ashamed to put it here even though pp provides good anonymity.
So here the story goes. It was after the covid hit in Pakistan. I gave my exams in March and started taking online classes in April. Everything was going fine till maybe July. I was studying hard and was enjoying myself at the same time. But then suddenly out of nowhere I started thinking that I should start playing a video game when free. I regularly played cricket captain for the past 3 years. It was fun and enjoyable. But then I started searching internet for a stress busting game. I visited childish things website and found out that cc2020 would be released in August. I started visiting that forum daily and started reading reviews of people on the game's previous versions. I found that majority of people played with highlights on and I always played on none highlights. I use to visualize real players stances and bowling actions while playing the game. I purchased cc2020 and would be confused about whether to play it on none highlights or with highlights on. Everyday I got up I started thinking about it and started having flashbacks of highlights throughout the day all the time. I went back to none highlights and started thinking of players stances and bowling actions all time. I am studying chartered accountancy and cannot get myself to study like I use to. Before this problem I use to cc and not think about it afterwards but now the situation has gotten really bad. I forgot to mention I installed and uninstalled it multiple times daily.
Sorry for such a long and stupid post. Can anyone tell me the cure of this overthinking. I am having a headache all the time. Any help will be greatly appreciated. [MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION] [MENTION=132916]Junaids[/MENTION]

sounds like you need a break from games and chartered accountancy..go out for a walk and stay away from games..

CricketCartoons;111041u43 said:
Seek professional help.

Its not really possible for me. I am in Pakistan and there is a stigma regarding visiting a psychiatrist and I my parents are not financially stable atm

If you can’t seek professional help, I would say Meditation.. and breathing exercises if possible.

Imo cardio or HIIT helps as well.

You need to get CBT from a Psychiatrist. If you do not have time for that and if you can afford medication, a General Practitioner can give you OCD drugs. You can also try Yoga and meditation.

Very strange situation bro it seem more of a medical problem than psychological, on side note I guess your biggest cricket or gaming fan out there, in CA people forget their dearest things and you can't forget this game, it's serious condition and that's all i can say bro.

Play CC on very easy mode then highlights or no highlights you will always win .

In all seriousness you need a break from the game and put your mind on other things.

Very strange situation bro it seem more of a medical problem than psychological, on side note I guess your biggest cricket or gaming fan out there, in CA people forget their dearest things and you can't forget this game, it's serious condition and that's all i can say bro.

What is CA btw like in the US we just have a colledge degree than a CPA exam - (like a 50% pass rate so not that bad lots of dumba** also end up doing it with discipline)
Do you have to do a job while doing it?
Do you go to colledge while doing it

both ACCA and CA are confusing to understand to understand... [MENTION=145909]Smudger[/MENTION]

What is CA btw like in the US we just have a colledge degree than a CPA exam - (like a 50% pass rate so not that bad lots of dumba** also end up doing it with discipline)
Do you have to do a job while doing it?
Do you go to colledge while doing it

both ACCA and CA are confusing to understand to understand... [MENTION=145909]Smudger[/MENTION]
CA is Pakistan's sole chartered accountancy degree with right to audit. Pass percentages are genrally between 15 to 45 percent depending upon subjects(in caf level that is)
There are 4 levels
1.Afc
2.Caf
3.Cfap
4.Msa.
The passing perecentage drops further in level 3 and 4. After level 2 a mandatory 3.5 years internship starts with a firm in which you work under a qualified CA.
I am in Caf atm

My mom has advised me to start reciting astagfar whenever I am free and pray namaz 5 times regularly. I will follow her advice and I personally think quitting or deleting the game will not solve the problem so I am trying to get myself back into pre July state when I did everything and still lived normally. I have also stopped visiting Childish things forum and CC videos on youtube

CA is Pakistan's sole chartered accountancy degree with right to audit. Pass percentages are genrally between 15 to 45 percent depending upon subjects(in caf level that is)
There are 4 levels
1.Afc
2.Caf
3.Cfap
4.Msa.
The passing perecentage drops further in level 3 and 4. After level 2 a mandatory 3.5 years internship starts with a firm in which you work under a qualified CA.
I am in Caf atm

Yeah I think internship while doing these exams is what makes it harder
honestly people giving you too much flack these early levels of accounting aren't all that bad (if going by my college class experiences)

I study one full day of accounting that's more than enough in colleges than I focus other time on random business classes/networking/ clubs

so there's a ton of time to play video games/hangout with friends (I just took a week vacation in the middle of the semester and its not even a bongi uni it's actually pretty good) (PakPassion like you can see...) :ashwin

So I think you have time to do everything but
A- timetable, discipline
B- HANGOUT WITH FRIENDS - please this is way better for mental health than video games
C- limit yourself to an hour a day of video games

Its a time to enjoy yourself in professional life it gets harder to do also in a couple of months you'll be doing internships so all these things you are doing aren't necessarily bad just manage them better and focus on social interaction than video games it really fs up with your mind

My mom has advised me to start reciting astagfar whenever I am free and pray namaz 5 times regularly. I will follow her advice and I personally think quitting or deleting the game will not solve the problem so I am trying to get myself back into pre July state when I did everything and still lived normally. I have also stopped visiting Childish things forum and CC videos on youtube

DELETE games - if you are almost addicted that's the best solution
but namaz, tasbeeh is also good it brings discipline in one's life - which sometimes people like us (the college going age) desperately need

DELETE games - if you are almost addicted that's the best solution
but namaz, tasbeeh is also good it brings discipline in one's life - which sometimes people like us (the college going age) desperately need

I am actually not really addicted to the game as I dont play it more than a hour at best . Its just that those thoughts that I get all the time( mentioned in op ). Just cant really shut my mind

Study with someone who is studying the same thing. A study group or something. Being alone for too long might be an issue.

Drugs are bad due to withdrawal symptoms. Walk outside in the park where there are a lot of people for example visiting a shopping mall or something. Then get your sleeping and waking pattern fixed. Go to bed on the same schedule at night. Get into a daily exercise regime. Sugar is evil. Cut down on it.

And, yes, before going to bed, create a task list, small goals that you would like to achieve the next day.

In Germany, every person has a task list to achieve for the next day. Since in Pakistan people live their life as they go - without creating task lists. So they did not do anything worthwhile in a day. They live a purposeless life.

For example, last night I wrote I would spend 2 hours on learning the German language, would do laundry, then would do grocery shopping, would read a textbook related to my subject. My day is up before I realize it.

Once you start giving small easy goals to your mind to achieve, it will cut down on this infinite loop of being trapped in a single thought pattern.

Get married. Gal khatam.

He is talking about decreasing stress, not increasing it.

To OP,

As the rest suggested. You need to go out more. Meet with friends and do outdoor activities, hiking, sports, running etc. Sweat it out. That's where the stress accumulates.

Locking oneself up in the room for long could relate to becoming an introvert.

This entire quarantine thing has been quite stressful on many, so what's happening to you is not out of the ordinary. You need to get up and fight back.

I think your Mum is giving you the best advice. In addition to praying 5 times, you can read some Quran to ease your mind. Apart from the religious stuff, you can plan your day out, structure it out in advance. Even if you don't stick to this routine fully, you know that what your are doing, your mind will be occupied, and then those thoughts can be repressed. You have to train your brain to forget these thoughts, and that can only be done by keeping yourself busy by studying and doing whatever you are interested in. IA things will get better for you.

Play a real game of 5-8 overs per innings tapeball cricket and you will completely stop thinking period!

You need to be given some solid responsibilities in your life.

Loneliness is a killer.

I had this issue for a long time. I still have it but it is better now.

Just keep yourself busy and don't pay attention to this urge. I know it can be difficult but try.

1. You have an addiction. It is a non-chemical addiction, but an addiction nonetheless because it is something you want to get rid off, but cannot. It is leading you to neglect work that is important for your career.

2. It is nothing to be embarrassed about, many many people have similar addictions.

3. If you have enough will power to stop doing something that is harming you, well and good. But the point of addictions is that the will power is not there. Again, that is not something to be embarrassed about, but you should recognize it.

4. "Cold turkey" is probably your best bet for beating an addiction. That is try to reduce to zero your indulgence. Trying to have little amounts usually doesn't work.

5. You can do some other things to beat your addiction and become productive. When you go to sleep at night, recapitulate the topics that you have studied during the day for your CA. Then go over what you will study the next day. When you wake up in the morning, try to study what you thought you had planned to earlier BEFORE you do anything else. That is the best time of the day when you can beat the addiction.

Good luck and wishing you success!

Last edited:
^
Focus on the cold turkey part
This is the only way to stop an addiction - which is normal literally every one has experienced some kind of addiction including people giving you advise - so you're not "weird" addiction is sign of a normal human being
But we have to get over it

^
Focus on the cold turkey part
This is the only way to stop an addiction - which is normal literally every one has experienced some kind of addiction including people giving you advise - so you're not "weird" addiction is sign of a normal human being
But we have to get over it

I think you are right about the cold turkey part. But I sort of get sad when I think about quitting. I become nostalgic and think of all the fun I had while playing it. Nevertheless I have promised myself not to play this game or read/watch anything related to it till I have completed my ca

I had this issue for a long time. I still have it but it is better now.

Just keep yourself busy and don't pay attention to this urge. I know it can be difficult but try.

Something similar to what I am having? Like thinking about players stances and a lot different things that I cant even tell anyone out embarrassment.
How did you overcame it? I have sort of lost in interest everything really. And I curse myself for getting into this situation and I long for the days before this happened.

Something similar to what I am having? Like thinking about players stances and a lot different things that I cant even tell anyone out embarrassment.
How did you overcame it? I have sort of lost in interest everything really. And I curse myself for getting into this situation and I long for the days before this happened.

Yes. It used to happen to me.

For example, I used to think over and over whether or not urine touched my pants (after urinating). It used to distract me a lot. Just one example.

Whenever it used to happen, I used to try to focus on something else.

Yes. It used to happen to me.

For example, I used to think over and over whether or not urine touched my pants (after urinating). It used to distract me a lot. Just one example.

Whenever it used to happen, I used to try to focus on something else.

yep, I know it's weird but hella relatable

I always had this issue that I am not "pak", I shoudnt be praying because I am not clean rn,
still kinda suffering from it tbh
just one of those things that's always in the back f your mind

You need to find something else to occupy your time.

I didn't have the same experience as you, but after my ex broke up with me, i spent months and months just spending time thinking of her. Thinking of what went wrong, what i should have done, etc. I did not have interest in anything else. Not healthy But eventually i just tried pre occupying myself in other things and was able to move on.

Go to gym, or read namaz, watch tv read a book, anything to get over this game.

Seems like anxiety or ADD, ask the resident doctors here [MENTION=141839]moghul[/MENTION] [MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION]

Just don't think about it bro.

Its not ADD because I have been a bright student before covid. After watching a cricket match I feel an urge to play cc and whenever I try to study I have these crazy flashbacks and feelings of nostalgia (of those times when I was alright)

Meditate. Observe your thoughts. Thoughts are not yours its of your mind. Everyone is overthinking about one thing or other. The good thing is you are aware of your situation. You became conscious. Create some distance between you and your thoughts. Take a break. Go to some other place. As I said create the distance between you and your thoughts.

You are being too hard on yourself and the guilt of not getting your studies done is compounding everything.

Just plan your day out and use pomodoros with sincerity to get things done. Rest of the day use it for exercise and games/sports/movies etc. Enjoy it as a hobby and you'll be fine.

What you're describing sounds like digital addiction. It's just like addiction to any drug or alcohol, the dopamine surge you get whenever you play the game will keep you returning to the game. It's also probably why you have installed and uninstalled the game multiple times. This is not something rare you're dealing with, lot of people undergo this issue in some form or the other.

Like someone said before, I would advise you to go cold turkey on the game as you cannot manage your time around something you're addicted with. You'll think you can play the game just for sometime and concentrate on your work afterwards with full focus but the game will pervade your thoughts and stop you from concentrating properly. I know it's easier said than done, so try to take small steps each day. If you can't stop the thoughts about the game, try to have some form of negative association with the game, like when you think of the game, think about the time you've wasted and how it's had a negative effect on your social life, hopefully that will stop the thoughts about the game flooding into your mind. At the end of the day, plenty of people can advise but only you can beat your addiction based on your strong will. Try to meditate and have a blank mind clearing your mind of all thoughts during the process. Also I know this is ironic, recommending it through the internet, but I would recommend watching "The social dilemma" on Netflix, it would be eye opening. Best wishes to you.

Play Call of Duty Warzone instead. This will make you think faster in more testing situations. Anyone who hasn't played the game is well and truly missing out on a masterpiece.

Studied for 3-4 hours today. Felt better. Although I still have thoughts but they are better now. I think this problem ariseed because I became obsessed with cc when 2020 was about to released and watched a lot youtubers play it. Before covid I just played CC because I liked playing it the way I did ( visualizing action in my head without thinking about it). Now I am slowly recovering.

I suffer from similar problems, although not nearly to the same extent. The solutions for everyone are different but generally you need to find something else to focus your mind on. It will not work for a few days, maybe even a week or two. But eventually it will start working. I don't know what that 'something else' is for you. It could be watching television shows, playing sports, working out, watching YouTube, going out and traveling, or a combination of things.

Grab the game, put it on floor (cement one). Grab a hammer. Hit the game hard with hammer and continue to hit it until it break into pieces. Then pray to Allah to save you from this addiction. Insha Allah you will get better.

dont beat yourself up about thinking about it, its like the white elephant problem, if i tell u not to think of one, the first thing u will think of is a white elephant.

a lot of your stress seems to come from an inability to control your thoughts, this is problematic because most people cant control their thoughts if they become obsessed or stressed.

someone above mentioned breathing techniques, definitely worth a go, also exercise too. but if you find your mind wondering there again let it dwell for a bit, dont get anxious.

what you need to do is take a step back and understand why you are being drawn to those thoughts, there is an underlying reason which you need to discover, it may be a means of escapism, longing for childhood, etc.

good luck with it

I suffer from similar problems, although not nearly to the same extent. The solutions for everyone are different but generally you need to find something else to focus your mind on. It will not work for a few days, maybe even a week or two. But eventually it will start working. I don't know what that 'something else' is for you. It could be watching television shows, playing sports, working out, watching YouTube, going out and traveling, or a combination of things.

So you too use to play cricket captain? And also visualize like I did?

I played ICC quite a bit too although obviously not to your level. Its a good game and sometimes gets quite addictive.

I would suggest reserving specific times to play it, not sure if that will help. Like Friday night you play ICC and dont touch it the rest of the time.

I played ICC quite a bit too although obviously not to your level. Its a good game and sometimes gets quite addictive.

I would suggest reserving specific times to play it, not sure if that will help. Like Friday night you play ICC and dont touch it the rest of the time.
Do you play it now?

Do you play it now?

Yeah I do occasionally....its a good way to unwind. I don't play it too much, just out of lack of time and it gets a bit repetitive sometimes.

Best of luck to you in your situation. Its a strange situation because your issue isn't with the game itself but a fixation on one specific aspect.

Take some of the advice of other people and pick up low stress activities, walking, meditation etc.

hope you feel better soon bro.

I don't think any of us are qualified to help you, I think even the doctors you have tagged would refrain from giving much advice over the internet as you would need a consultation. Please don't try and self-diagnose, and I know the people on this thread are trying to help, but they can't diagnose either. I am sorry to hear that professional help may not be possible, perhaps keep talking to us on this thread and see if talking about it helps alleviate the stress/anxiety/or however is best to explain it?

I suppose as others said, do try and exercise and keep fit, maybe spending time outdoors will help.

Do keep us updated.

I will update daily here. Its actually helping me a bit to speak about the issue which would not have been possible for me to do to someone in person

Yeah I do occasionally....its a good way to unwind. I don't play it too much, just out of lack of time and it gets a bit repetitive sometimes.

Best of luck to you in your situation. Its a strange situation because your issue isn't with the game itself but a fixation on one specific aspect.

Take some of the advice of other people and pick up low stress activities, walking, meditation etc.

hope you feel better soon bro.

How do you play it Venom. Do you visualize also like I do? The problem for me is that I think about batting stances and sometimes forget that I am a student

It is normal to have images of a game running through your head long after you're done with it. Especially if you play it with intensity. Try and avoid playing it a couple hours before you sleep. But basically you have an addiction. You need to temporarily replace it with another addiction - something you enjoy doing already, but which you believe might be less disruptive to your daily life.

So its been 4 days since I started this thread. Would like to share an update.
I am personally feeling better mentally and have found out what the main reason behind this problem was.
So basically I was just not enjoying live cricket and started thinking that the game is real life. I know it sounds weird. I had thoughts that I would not enjoy watching cricket if I dont play the game.
I dont really enjoy playing the game much as I use to when I was younger. So I think its just a time to move on really. I got bored of the game and had thoughts that I would never want to stop playing the game. It was one of those nostalgic things I did'nt want to remove from my life but I guess I am no longer 16 so its time to move on.

Though I have to say, it's kinda weird to have an addiction for a cricket video game as cricket is notorious for having the shittiest video games out of all sports in the world.

Can understand if you were addicted to pes or fifa, but cricket:91:

very common problem in todays world and best way to avoid it to go low tech for atleast a month or so , to break the thought cycle.

with all these online forum and social media , there is complex cirlce of thoughts going in our minds

stop going to online forums and reading comments of every tdh...

try to keep your phone in cupboard shutdown for atleast 2 hours and try to focus on some healthy habit like reading or meditation or exercise

try to socialize with humans on personal level rather than online or digitally.

I haven’t read all the replies in this thread as I read your opening post couple days back and took some time to think before I say anything because I had very very similar symptoms as you and it nosedived even further.

Swallowed my pride and went to therapist as I was very stubborn in the past. Best decision ever. Turns out I had severe anxiety (like actually got diagnosed I’m not self diagnosing) but I had no idea that’s what it was before my therapist and doctor told me. Got put on Setraline (serotonin BUT NEEDS PRESCRIPTION) and slowly got off the meds and incorporated habits in life to manage and live with it.

So go to a licensed therapist. Don’t take any medicine until you are prescribed by a doctor. Some good advice in this thread about meditation and breathing but if this is impacting your life to the point it’s seriously affecting you SEEK HELP ASAP. TAKE IT FROM ME, DO NOT DELAY THIS.

If you can’t find a therapist irl, I have heard of therapists who practice online, look into that. DONT JUST TOUGH IT OUT IF YOU CAN’T. Unless you have insane levels of willpower like a top class test batsman, just get help man instead of just pushing through if that hasn’t worked.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your condition. It’s alway best to seek help from a prodessioal or a reliable scholar.

If you are a muslim I would advice you to start praying 5 times a day, do a lot of Dhikr. The more you remember Allah the more satisfied your heart will get. Whenever the thoughts come just read ‘ta’awwuz’, meaning Auzubillah... as these could be whisperings from satan trying to stop you from doing your daily work.

Start exercising daily and get yourself busy most of the time and moreover seek more knowledge about the things you are suffering from. There are many boks about addictions and other mental problems.

May Allah help you and give you a successful life, ameen.

Back