New Zealand coach Mike Hesson backs proposal to do away with toss in Test cricket

Abdullah719

T20I Captain
Runs
New Zealand coach Mike Hesson has joined the growing calls for test cricket to do away with the toss.

The numbers on how infrequently teams win test matches away from home are a compelling argument to trial a plan whereby the visiting team is given the choice of batting or bowling first.

The idea is to prevent the more extreme examples of pitches being tailored to suit the home side, whether that be on the subcontinent or in Western countries.

Since the start of 2014, in series between India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka on one hand, and South Africa, England, Australia and New Zealand on the other, the results are stark.

Only twice - Sri Lanka in England, and South Africa in Sri Lanka - has the visiting team won the series. Both were 1-0 victories, and both were in 2014.

On individual tests, the home sides have won 29 and lost just seven.

Hesson insists New Zealand's recent 3-0 drubbing in India has nothing to do with his belief it's time to try and redress the balance. That would be kneejerk thinking.

"If you look at those stats over a period of time, they've probably got out of whack a bit. You want to watch an even contest, and it's certainly not because we got outplayed in India," he said.

"There's no doubt batting first and third in India is a significant advantage over batting second and fourth. But just because you win the toss doesn't guarantee you're going to be able to make the most of it.

"I do think it's a good idea and certainly an idea worth investigating further," said Hesson, New Zealand coach since 2012.

"You still want touring, and winning, away from home to be incredibly difficult. Therefore, if you're able to achieve something away from home it's pretty special.

"[This move] would even the game up a bit and certainly stop home sides potentially making surfaces that are incredibly difficult," said the Black Caps' mentor.

Hesson remembered New Zealand's 2-1 series win in the West Indies, or beating Pakistan in Sharjah, both in 2014, as outstanding achievements.

"It certainly doesn't guarantee success, it's just that potentially there will be more touring sides winning around the world, which I think is not a bad thing."

There is precedent, albeit not in test cricket.

For the second consecutive season, next year English county cricket matches will start without a toss, the option going to the visiting captain. This year it was a success.

Among the ideas behind it were to promote spin bowling and improve batsmen's ability against spin.

This year 85 per cent of matches went into a fourth day, up 11 per cent from last year; and 843 championship wickets were taken by spin this year, up from 752.

"In may ways the statistics merely reinforced the feeling we had been picking up around the game throughout the summer, that the experiment was working in beginning to rebalance the game," said England Cricket Board cricket committee chairman Peter Wright.

Don't expect the International Cricket Council to endorse the plan any time soon.

"It was discussed but it didn't have much momentum at all," said New Zealand Cricket chief executive David White, also a member of the ICC's cricket committee.

"It will be interesting to see how it goes in England again this year."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11746649

If there is a trial for this then all nations in a particular ranking period should do that.

I agree here. Prepare whatever pitch you want, but allow visiting teams to have the first crack. It will even the contest to some extent.

How about the team that bats first also has to bat 4th unless they win by an innings, Or at least give the team batting 2nd the chance to bat 3rd.

How about the team that bats first also has to bat 4th unless they win by an innings, Or at least give the team batting 2nd the chance to bat 3rd.

Decent idea, the only issue is if you look at England vs India right now for rinstance where Murali Vijay by himself played 50 overs and the team combined is bound to play 150 overs atleast, with your suggestion the already tired English bowlers now will get no rest and will have to start all over again, which ofcourse is a disadvantage

That will destroy bowlers. Better option could be Make team play max of 90 overs at a stretch unless its final inning.For example - Eng bats first - makes 300/8 in 90 overs. Then Ind bats 90 overs makes 280/9. On Day 3 England resumes from 300/8.

There is no harm trying it, they should give it a trial basis and see what happens.

I think it sort of takes away from cricket but it is a good idea. Teams would make fairer wickets, don't want to ris making a green top or rank turner and having to bat on it only to be bundled out for 150.

Although I may not like it, I would be willing to have it t make the game more entertaining.

I've got a better idea, why don't players become more skillful and work harder on foreign conditions?

The quality of cricket will rise substantially and better viewing for the fans.

Prepare pitches at home that aid bounce, seam movement, spin etc and make the batsmen adapt to all these conditions, rather than constantly moaning about the toss.

That will destroy bowlers. Better option could be Make team play max of 90 overs at a stretch unless its final inning.For example - Eng bats first - makes 300/8 in 90 overs. Then Ind bats 90 overs makes 280/9. On Day 3 England resumes from 300/8.
Teams will have to make choices as to whether to bat first and flog their bowlers in the middle innings or bat 2nd and 3rd.

Stop tinkering with the game, toss at the start is fine. After all it is a 50-50 chance, not like the toss favours the home team.

What are the match stats regarding visiting teams winning the toss as supposed to losing it anyway?

Instead of tinkering with the toss, why can't we have a full time ruling of having 3rd umpires check no balls instead of the on field umpire missing them and only checking them on the fall of wickets.

Instead of tinkering with the toss, why can't we have a full time ruling of having 3rd umpires check no balls instead of the on field umpire missing them and only checking them on the fall of wickets.

The two are not mutually exclusive.

We definitely need the 3rd umpire to check for no-balls though. Specially when Paul Reiffel is the umpire.

The two are not mutually exclusive.

We definitely need the 3rd umpire to check for no-balls though. Specially when Paul Reiffel is the umpire.

Ahaha very true. Coin toss has been in cricket for years no need to change it.

In principle it may sound a good idea, but there is a flip side to it, the lower ranked teams will prepare phattas in that case because in current ranking criteria even a draw will benefit them more than higher ranked opponent, and to not let teams do that the rankings should deduct more points from home team ranking than from opponents, so the home teams will have to prepare supporting and result oriented pitches, than i'm all for it, it will really give a level playing field to away teams.

Sport becames great when there is a fair challenge for both sides.

Winning the toss can be a very big advantage.

I wouldn't scrap the toss but only have a toss if the series is level (at any stage). The team behind should get the choice whether to bat or field. This will make test cricket more competitive.

Sport becames great when there is a fair challenge for both sides.

Winning the toss can be a very big advantage.

I wouldn't scrap the toss but only have a toss if the series is level (at any stage). The team behind should get the choice whether to bat or field. This will make test cricket more competitive.

It was trialled during the county championship this year, for the first time there was no mandatory coin toss. It made a significant difference with 85% of games going into a 4th day compared to 74% last year. From an England point of view it was genius because county teams will be less inclined to prepare green mambas but instead wickets which are fair and favour a bit of spin which will encourage the development of spinners in the system and the skill of batsman vs spin.

It's a good idea.

Too many pitches are being created where the game is over at the toss.

it's come to the stage where they come up with a new gimmick every month to try to keep the format relevant.

This will just encourage home teams to prepare flat decks and we'll go back to seeing dull high scoring draws.

Back