No more World Cups for ‘slinga’ Malinga

Statsman

T20I Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
COLOMBO: Sri Lanka fast bowler Lasith Malinga said on Sunday that his World Cup career is over.

“I hope to be of service to my team as long as I can, but I won’t be able to play in the next World Cup in 2015. I have been carrying injuries for the past few weeks and with little rest,” Malinga, 27, told state-run television.

The seamer with the distinctive slingshot style did not elaborate on his injuries, but a career-threatening right knee injury sidelined him in 2008 and in early 2009.

“I ask the youngsters to play well in the next World Cup,” he said after the team arrived from Mumbai on Sunday after losing the World Cup final to India by six wickets.

During Saturday’s final, Malinga’s trademark collection of yorkers and toe-crushers grabbed the wickets of Virender Sehwag, leg before for nought, and Sachin Tendulkar for 18, but he was unable to make further inroads into the powerful Indian batting line-up.

Malinga was the most successful Sri Lankan bowler on Saturday, ending the game with two wickets for 42 runs and 13 wickets for the tournament.

“I did what the team expected me to do,” said the seamer who has taken 127 wickets during his seven-year limited overs career spanning 84 games.

“I couldn’t bowl yorkers properly because the ball was too wet. It was difficult to swing the ball. I tried hard. I regret I couldn’t take more wickets.”

Malinga said he was happy to become the first bowler to claim two World Cup hat-tricks.

During the group match against Kenya, Malinga’s hat-trick victims were Tanmay Mishra, Peter Ongondo and Shem Ngoche. He next bowled Elijah Otieno to complete a four-wicket burst off six balls.

Against South Africa in the Caribbean four years ago, his hat-trick victims were Shaun Pollock, Andrew Hall and Jacques Kallis with Makhaya Ntini the fourth to fall.

Saturday’s loss was Sri Lanka’s second successive runners-up finish, having lost to Australia in 2007. They won their first and only World Cup in 1996.

http://www.dawn.com/2011/04/03/no-more-world-cups-for-slinga-malinga.html

Here we have 26-27 year old express bowlers retiring from ODI and Test Cricket and we have been on Shoaib's so called poor fitness everytime. :( Ungreatful nation.

Sri Lanka would struggle more without him. There fast bowling resources looks really thin. Outside subcontinent they would be easy prey.

Another possible good test & ODI career destroyed by IPL. Hats off to Akhtar for playing at tender age of 36 for his country even with unfit body. I hope Malinga suffers career finishing injury and cannot play 20/20s any more.

^^ Wow, hoping for an injury to happen to any player is just lame. He has had 2 major injuries...the next WC is 4 yrs away. If he thinks he won't make it then good on him to let the selectors know that before hand. This way they can start rebuilding with this in mind.

He gave it his all...opening spell was just brilliant.

wow this is sad too see malinga with the ball is a real treat to watch

Another possible good test & ODI career destroyed by IPL. Hats off to Akhtar for playing at tender age of 36 for his country even with unfit body. I hope Malinga suffers career finishing injury and cannot play 20/20s any more.

His action is responsible for Injury, Baseball pitchers put the same amount of stress on their shoulder, Imagine a wheel rotating with a fixed centre. Jeff Thomson was one of fastest pacer world has seen, he also had slingy action, he sustained career threatening injuries too, his left leg had been effected over the years . Malinga must be facing back, front leg, shoulder injuries too. His action is freakish.

He used to be a fearsome LOI bowler in the late 2000s to early 2010s, teams would play him out to prevent him from taking wickets such was his threat due to his ability to bowl lethal yorkers and imperceptible slower balls as well as his 140kph plus pace. However, he hasn't been the same for the best part of 5-6 years at the minimum, ever since Kohli took him apart in that 2012 tri series in Australia. He's still a serviceable bowler and seems like he's in decent form as of now, which is a testament to his bowling skills as he's had many injuries but he's no longer that feared, ATG LOI bowler he used to be IMO.

The 2 new ball rule finished his odi effectiveness

he still instils fear in the batsmen, obviously not as effective as before but gets the job done

Young Kohli ended his career. Showed the world how to play Malinga. Won’t forget his epic wrists flick sixes off Malinga’s yorkers.

Wow he said this back in 2011 and he didn't just play one more world cup, but most probably he would have played in two more world cups. He had faded away a couple years ago and looked like his career was panning out but he had a resurgence of 2018, had an excellent bowling average of 22.40!

Malinga will get a chance to go out in style...even though he is way past his prime and Sri Lanka will probably crash out of the WC badly. His appointment as captain itself seemed like a desperate choice on SLC's part who had no options remaining.

Malinga just does not look fit. His big belly is embarrassing to watch in this day and age.

Shows how hard he actually works on himself.

The fact that Malinga still looks like a much superior bowler to all the other Sri Lankan bowlers says a lot about the state of their team.

I reckon if Dilshan, Jayawardene, Sangakkara and Herath would unretire, they'd make a better team than the one we currently see, even at this age.

Dilshan
Dickwella
Jayawardene
Sangakkara
Mathews
K Perera
T Perera
Dananjaya
Malinga
Herath
Lakmal

Looks much better

The fact that Malinga still looks like a much superior bowler to all the other Sri Lankan bowlers says a lot about the state of their team.

I reckon if Dilshan, Jayawardene, Sangakkara and Herath would unretire, they'd make a better team than the one we currently see, even at this age.

Dilshan
Dickwella
Jayawardene
Sangakkara
Mathews
K Perera
T Perera
Dananjaya
Malinga
Herath
Lakmal

Looks much better

True. Sangakkara especially was a beast in the ODI WC which was his last series and carried on doing amazing in domestics after that, even in 2017 he scored century after century for Surrey, so he would walk in to the team right now. But it's fair enough they retired when they did as it gives them plenty of time to build for the future

He hasn't been that bad has Malinga even at this age. Hope he can roll back the years in the WC.

Back