What's new

Norway mosque shooting: 65-year-old Pakistani Mohammad Rafiq stopped attacker

TigerOfPakistan

Debutant
Joined
Sep 23, 2010
Runs
38
A man has been arrested after a shooting at a mosque in Norway, say police.

One person was injured during the attack at the Al-Noor Islamic centre in Baerum, around 20km from Oslo, on Saturday afternoon.

Police described the gunman as a “young, white-skinned man” but added that they had no further information about his identity.
 
As per usual it's a "shooting" incident not what it should be called: a terrorist attack.
 
One injured in gun attack on Norwegian mosque

Man, 75, shot at al-Noor Islamic Centre near Oslo before ‘young white’ gunman overpowered

One person has been injured in a shooting inside a mosque in Norway, Oslo police said on Saturday, adding that one man had been apprehended.

The suspected shooter at the al-Noor Islamic Centre near the country’s capital was described as “a young white man”, police added.

The victim was a 75-year-old member of the congregation, mosque director Irfan Mushtaq told TV2.

“The man carried two shotgun-like weapons and a pistol. He broke through a glass door and fired shots,” he said.

The shooter, who wore body armour and a helmet, was overpowered by members of the mosque before police arrived, Mushtaq added.

Earlier this year the Islamic centre implemented extra security measures following the massacre of more than 50 people at two New Zealand mosques by a suspected right-wing extremist.

In 2011, the anti-Muslim neo-Nazi Anders Behring Breivik massacred 77 people in Norway’s worst peacetime atrocity, the majority of them teenagers at a leftwing youth camp.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-shooting-at-norway-mosque-suspect-in-custody
 
A man has been arrested in Norway after a shooting inside a mosque left one person injured.

Police say a gunman opened fire on the Al-Noor Islamic Centre, near the capital Oslo, on Saturday.

The suspect has not been named, but police have described him as a "young white man".

The mosque's director told local media that the victim was a 75-year-old member of the congregation.

"One of our members has been shot by a white man with a helmet and uniform," Irfan Mushtaq told local newspaper Budstikka.

He later told local channel TV2 that the attacker had "carried two shotgun-like weapons and a pistol. He broke through a glass door and fired shots."

The gunman, who wore body armour, was overpowered by people at the mosque before police arrived at the scene, Mr Mushtaq added.

Oslo Police confirmed the attack on Twitter, saying: "One person is shot. The severity of that person's injuries is unknown. One suspect is arrested".

They said the suspect appears to have acted alone.

Police sources told public broadcaster NRK that several weapons were found inside the mosque, located in the town of Baerum, following the shooting.

The mosque had previously implemented extra security measures after a gunman killed 51 people at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, earlier this year, according to Reuters news agency.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49308016
 
For our posters in Norway, what's the situation like? Do you see a rise in anti-Muslim or anti-immigrant sentiment there?
 
Radicalism on display here... :facepalm: right-wing terrorism.

This pathetic fool should rot in jail for the rest of his life.
 
Oslo, Norway (CNN)A man suspected of opening fire at a mosque in a suburb of Oslo, Norway, on Saturday has been charged with the murder of a woman found dead in his home, a police official said.

The suspect, described as a Norwegian man in his 20s, also faces an attempted murder charge in the shooting, which occurred at Al-Noor Islamic Center and injured one person. The victim sustained minor injuries, Oslo Police Superintendent Rune Skjold said at a news conference.

The shooting occurred at the mosque as Muslims around the world celebrate Eid al-Adha this weekend, one of the most important holidays of the Islamic calendar. It marks the height of the annual Hajj pilgrimage to Mecca in Saudi Arabia.

Shortly after the attack, investigators found the body of a young woman at the suspect's home in Baerum, just west of Oslo. Police said the woman was related to the suspect, but did not specify how.

A member of the mosque told Norwegian state broadcaster NRK that the shooting could have been much worse, but the suspect was stopped by a 75-year-old man.

Imran Mushtaq, a board member at the Al-Noor mosque, said more than a dozen people were praying inside the mosque just ten minutes before the suspect arrived. But by the time the shooting began, only three older men were left inside, said Mushtaq, who was at his home nearby at the time.

The suspect entered by shooting through the mosque's locked glass door, Mushtaq said. The 75-year-old managed to overpower the suspect, placed him in a chokehold and sat on top of him until police arrived. He suffered only minor injuries.

Multiple weapons were found inside the mosque, police said. The weapons are believed to be connected to the suspect.

Skjold, the police superintendent, said police were also examining the suspect's online activity prior to the shooting at the mosque, but would not provide details.

Police are trying to determine whether there are wider threats to other mosques and security has been increased.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/08/10/europe/oslo-norway-mosque-shooting/index.html
 
Norway mosque shooting probed as terror act

A shooting at a mosque in Norway is being investigated as a possible act of terrorism, police say.

A gunman opened fire on the Al-Noor Islamic Centre, on the outskirts of the capital Oslo, on Saturday.

One person in the mosque managed to overpower the gunman, suffering "minor injuries" in the process.

Later, a woman was found dead at the house of the suspect. Police confirmed that the woman was related to the suspect.

Acting chief of the police operation Rune Skjold said that the suspect, described as a "Norwegian man", had been known to police before the incident but could not be described as someone with a "criminal background".

Mr Skjold said that the man appeared to hold "far-right" and "anti-immigrant" views and had expressed sympathy for Vidkun Quisling, the leader of Norway's collaborationist government during the Nazi occupation.

The suspect is appeared to have acted on his own.

The head of the mosque said only three people had been inside at the time of the attack.

The mosque's director told local media that the victim was a 75-year-old member of the congregation.

Irfan Mushtaq told local channel TV2 that the attacker had "carried two shotgun-like weapons and a pistol".

"He broke through a glass door and fired shots," he added.

The mosque had previously implemented extra security measures after a gunman killed 51 people at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand earlier this year.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49311482
 
As per usual it's a "shooting" incident not what it should be called: a terrorist attack.

The word terrorism has been thrown around so much it has lost meaning anyway. You get terror inflicted by states these days and that is often seen as justified.
 
Worshipper, 65, takes down heavily armed mosque gunman before he can kill anyone

A 65-year-old man who tackled a gunman who stormed a mosque in Norway is being hailed as a hero.

Witnesses said Mohamed Rafiq restrained the terror suspect and held him down with another worshipper before police arrived, despite being injured in the struggle.

Mr Rafiq was among three people at the al-Noor Islamic Centre in Baerum on Saturday, when a man burst in with “two shotgun-like weapons and a pistol”.

The attacker, who was reportedly wearing a uniform and body armour, broke through a glass door to reach the place of worship, where people were preparing to celebrate the Islamic festival of Eid al-Adha.

Speaking to press outside a nearby hotel on Sunday, Mr Rafiq said: “I’m thankful for all of the help and support I have received.”

He told how he held the gunman down while another worshipper, Mohamed Iqbal, hit him on the head.

Irfan Mushtaq, board member of the mosque, said that minutes before the shooting on Saturday afternoon around 15 people had been inside the building.

The suspect has been named as Philip Manshaus, a 21-year-old local man.

A post on the messaging board 4chan suggested he was a far-right extremist inspired by the Christchurch, Poway and El Paso shooters

Police are investigating the shooting as a potential terror attack, and have arrested a local white man in his 20s on suspicion of attempted murder.

The same man is also accused of killing his 17-year-old stepsister, whose body was found at her home.

“We’re investigating this as an attempt at carrying out an act of terrorism,” assistant chief of police Rune Skjold told a news conference on Sunday.

“We have uncovered extreme right-wing attitudes. The defendant has expressed opinions in which he praises [Norwegian fascist and Nazi collaborator] Quisling and is hostile towards immigration.”

Mr Skjold praised the “great courage” shown by Mr Rafiq and Mr Iqbal in restraining the gunman after several shots were fired, adding: “There is no doubt that their efforts prevented this from having entirely different consequences.”

The suspect remains in custody and is undergoing a psychiatric assessment, officials said.

The mosque earlier this year implemented extra security measures following the massacre of more than 50 people at two mosques in Christchurch.

In 2011, white supremacist Anders Behring Breivik massacred 77 people in Norway’s worst peacetime atrocity, the majority of them teenagers at a youth camp.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ipper-man-hero-far-right-terror-a9051986.html
 
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="nl" dir="ltr">For ein helt Mohamed Rafiq er. <a href="https://t.co/ELRwHLaft4">pic.twitter.com/ELRwHLaft4</a></p>— Morten Myksvoll (@MortenMyksvoll) <a href="https://twitter.com/MortenMyksvoll/status/1160502318565154816?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 11, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
 
The hero is an old Pakistani man, he took down a 21 year old. He deserves a thread of his own.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This 65-year-old Norwegian Pakistani, Mr Mohammad Rafique, is the hero of Norway. He physically, with his bare hands, neutralized the 21-year-old anti-Muslim terrorist, who was carrying guns <a href="https://twitter.com/IsmailRoyer?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@IsmailRoyer</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/dimashqee?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@dimashqee</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/MazMHussain?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@MazMHussain</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/DrShadeeElmasry?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@DrShadeeElmasry</a> <a href="https://t.co/1ANslKhuO7">pic.twitter.com/1ANslKhuO7</a></p>— Mohammad Usman Rana (@UsmRana) <a href="https://twitter.com/UsmRana/status/1160525852486057984?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 11, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
 
Mashallah, he saved many lives while this IQ obsessed loser will waste part of his life in jail.
 
Wow. What a hero, this man. I wanna be like him at 65!

He saw the terrorist; kept his cool with ice in his veins and restrained the terrorist!

Take a bow!
 
Needs to be awarded with Nishaan-e-Pakistan.

He is a superhero.
 
A 21-year-old Norwegian man has appeared in court in Oslo, accused of a terrorist act in connection with a gun attack on a mosque at the weekend.

His face and neck marked by bruises and scratches, Philip Manshaus was also charged with attempted murder, as well as the murder of his stepsister.

He was remanded in custody for another four weeks, as prosecutors requested.

He smiled at photographers but said nothing, before the judge opened the case behind closed doors.

Mr Manshaus is accused of opening fire at the Al-Noor Islamic Centre in Baerum, west of the capital Oslo, on Saturday.

Shortly after the attack, the body of his 17-year-old stepsister was found at a house in Baerum.

There were three people inside the centre at the time of the attack and the gunman was overpowered before police arrived.

The mosque's director said the attacker had gone into the building wearing a helmet and body armour, carrying several weapons. Several shots were fired but no-one was seriously hurt in the mosque.

A 65-year-old retired Pakistani air force officer, Mohammad Rafiq, has been praised for seizing the attacker, pinning him down and taking his weapons from him.

When the suspect appeared at Oslo district court on Monday, prosecutors were granted a four-week extension to his custody with a ban on prison visits and no access to media coverage.

His defence lawyer, Unni Fries, said earlier that he denied the criminal charges and was not speaking to investigators.

The head of Norway's PST police security service told reporters that it had been given a tip-off about the suspect a year ago but that there was nothing to suggest a plan for an attack was under way.

Police said the suspect appeared to have far-right and anti-immigrant views. Ahead of the attack, a message was posted on the EndChan forum purporting to be from Philip Manshaus.

EndChan said its moderators had deleted a thread and its "primary domain" was taken offline after the shooting.

The post made a reference to New Zealand mosque attack suspect Brenton Tarrant, who is accused of murdering 51 people in Christchurch last March.

Eight years ago a Norwegian neo-Nazi murdered 77 people, first in Oslo and then at a summer youth camp run by the centre-left on the island of Utoeya.

Anders Breivik was jailed for 21 years for the Utoeya massacre and later campaigned against the conditions in which he was being held.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49318001
 
Pakistani man hailed as a hero for tackling Norway mosque shooter

A Pakistani man is being hailed as a hero after foiling Sunday’s attack on a mosque in Norway.

Muhammad Rafiq, a 65-year-old retired Pakistani Air Force officer, was one of three people in al-Noor Islamic Centre near the Norwegian capital, Oslo, at the time of the attack.

Rafiq was the person who tackled the suspect, 21-year-old Philip Manshaus, and managed to hold him and take away his weapons.

“I suddenly heard shooting from outside,” Rafiq told Reuters via an interpreter, adding that a man then entered the building with guns and pistols.

“He started to fire towards the two other men,” Rafiq said, adding that he had then grabbed the attacker, holding him down and wrestling the weapons off the attacker.

His eye red and one hand swollen, Rafiq, who has lived in Norway for the past two and a half years, said he was still recovering from the attack.

“He put his finger inside my eye, up to here; full finger inside my eye,” Rafiq added.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/203332...ed-hero-tackling-norway-mosque-shooter/?amp=1
 
Norway presents medals to Rafiq, Iqbal on one-year anniversary of Al-Noor mosque terror attack

The Government of Norway honored Pakistan Air Force veteran Muhammad Rafiq and Mohammad Iqbal with medals for their noble deed in foiling a gun attack on the Al-Noor Islamic Centre last year.

They were given the medals on the one-year anniversary of the attack. Minister of Trade and Industry Iselin Nybø presented the honors during a ceremony in Bærum town hall on Monday afternoon.

Last year in August, a gunman, Philip Manshaus opened fire on the Al-Noor mosque, on the outskirts of the capital Oslo. However, Rafiq and Iqbal apprehended the attacker, until police arrived.

They both wrestled Manshaus, who came with the intent to ‘kill as many Muslims as possible’ down to the ground. Manshaus was sentenced to 21 years in prison for murder and terrorism.

Both Rafiq and Iqbal were awarded for overpowering the Norwegian man. Rafiq was awarded the gold medal of honor for ‘distinguishing himself with an extraordinary effort in overpowering the perpetrator’.

Meanwhile, Iqbal was awarded the Medal for Noble Deed in Silver. “Iqbal’s efforts were crucial in overpowering the perpetrator,” the Norwegian government said in a statement.

https://www.brecorder.com/news/4001...r-anniversary-of-al-noor-mosque-terror-attack

5f3251a58bfb7.jpg


5f3251d22c869.jpg
 
Norway presents medals to Rafiq, Iqbal on one-year anniversary of Al-Noor mosque terror attack

The Government of Norway honored Pakistan Air Force veteran Muhammad Rafiq and Mohammad Iqbal with medals for their noble deed in foiling a gun attack on the Al-Noor Islamic Centre last year.

They were given the medals on the one-year anniversary of the attack. Minister of Trade and Industry Iselin Nybø presented the honors during a ceremony in Bærum town hall on Monday afternoon.

Last year in August, a gunman, Philip Manshaus opened fire on the Al-Noor mosque, on the outskirts of the capital Oslo. However, Rafiq and Iqbal apprehended the attacker, until police arrived.

They both wrestled Manshaus, who came with the intent to ‘kill as many Muslims as possible’ down to the ground. Manshaus was sentenced to 21 years in prison for murder and terrorism.

Both Rafiq and Iqbal were awarded for overpowering the Norwegian man. Rafiq was awarded the gold medal of honor for ‘distinguishing himself with an extraordinary effort in overpowering the perpetrator’.

Meanwhile, Iqbal was awarded the Medal for Noble Deed in Silver. “Iqbal’s efforts were crucial in overpowering the perpetrator,” the Norwegian government said in a statement.

https://www.brecorder.com/news/4001...r-anniversary-of-al-noor-mosque-terror-attack

5f3251a58bfb7.jpg


5f3251d22c869.jpg

Well done, Norway.
 
Back
Top