On This Day 22nd October 1983: Match Abandoned v/s Australia Stones Thrown at Players

dhump

Senior T20I Player
Runs
On a Tour where nothing went right for visiting Australian side 22nd October came as shock for both visitors and home side, an unwanted incident took place when some Aussie players were hit by stones at National Stadium Karachi.

Everything got fueled during the Test series when some students threw stones at players and then some spectators tore down the fence and invaded the ground, match was delayed for around 45mins. Australian Captain marked in his remarks. "When a player cannot field on the boundary without being hit, then something serious has to be done to make spectators realize it is wrong," he said. "People don't deserve to see international cricket when they behave like this." These comments made some locals very upset and unfortunately for Australians last ODI of the series was to be held in Karachi on 22nd Oct 1982.

National Stadium Karachi was packed and Pakistan decided to bat first. Signs of trouble were evident just 15 minutes into first inning when Jeff Lawson who fielding on long leg was seen throwing stones back into the crowd. Umpire and Captains talked and then plea to the crowd was made to stay calm but it was all vain as minutes later Lawson was hit on the leg by a stone coming from stands Australian captain decided not to continue and took his players off and almost after an hour of discussion between captains, officials match match resumed as Pakistan was 39-1. Police was called crowd was pushed back from the fences but it was hardly of any use as Stones and Rotten fruits were thrown again and Greg Ritchie was hit, players left the field again with clear signals of not returning back.

Things didn’t just ended here after the announcement of abandoned game situation turned more ugly between the crowd and police, there were serious baton charge from police as mob attacked them with stones and the canvas roof was burned by the mob. Struggle between police and wild mob continued even on the streets around national stadium.

Australians returned to National Stadium Karachi six years later to play a test and in the last 2 decades Pakistan and Australia have played only 3 matches in National Stadium Karachi.

Match Scorecard
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/64196.html

Tour Fixtures and Results:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/series/61392.html?template=fixtures

Last edited by a moderator:
Have our crowds improved since that time?

Close to 4 decades on, the sub-continent hasn't changed a whole lot if you think about it. Stones have been replaced by bottles and such.

Lahore crowd has been polished always - can’t recall any serious incidents there even in 1970s, 80s. Rawalpindi & Faisalabad are also not that bad, but in past Faisalabad was a bit rough.

Karachi has been the notorious place & not sure what’s the situation now. Not only Aussies, Indians had to abandon a game at NSK in 1989 for animal (primate) instincts. In 1970s I think Brearley’s team had a day or two off at Karachi, 1969 English Test lost last two days or so and the 1998 Indian ODI was lost by PAK as the PAK innings had to be closed after 46 overs instead of 50, with PAK at 263-4 and rampant Inzi/Moin in middle .... then India chasing that same target on last ball & 8/9th pair in middle.... because Indians took 4.5 hours to finish 46 overs and Karachi police has to stop some (about 50% of the capacity) primates throwing projectiles ... the intelligence was exposed a bit actually because there were several announcements in loud speaker: “ ..... please stay calm and don’t throw objects to players, otherwise the game will be cancelled... PAK is in great position, please enjoy the game..”

Last I can recall was probably 1998, can’t recall the venue but for some reason, crowd suddenly felt that they need to throw at WIN players & game was stopped for few times. It can’t be that home team was taking a beating because PAK won all three Tests in that series by innings.

I have seen crowd disturbance even in UK/USA.... but when home team is losing. However, PAK, particularly Karachi crowd is a bit unique in that sense as they stopped games in series where home team was routing tourists & games where home teams are dominating - Aussies lost 3-0 in 1983, Indians would have been clean swept both in 1989 & 98; WIN was swept in 1998. I am sure, things have improved considerably from that state (of mind) & 10-12 years isolation can only help in that regard.

Lahore crowd has been polished always - can’t recall any serious incidents there even in 1970s, 80s. Rawalpindi & Faisalabad are also not that bad, but in past Faisalabad was a bit rough.

Karachi has been the notorious place & not sure what’s the situation now. Not only Aussies, Indians had to abandon a game at NSK in 1989 for animal (primate) instincts. In 1970s I think Brearley’s team had a day or two off at Karachi, 1969 English Test lost last two days or so and the 1998 Indian ODI was lost by PAK as the PAK innings had to be closed after 46 overs instead of 50, with PAK at 263-4 and rampant Inzi/Moin in middle .... then India chasing that same target on last ball & 8/9th pair in middle.... because Indians took 4.5 hours to finish 46 overs and Karachi police has to stop some (about 50% of the capacity) primates throwing projectiles ... the intelligence was exposed a bit actually because there were several announcements in loud speaker: “ ..... please stay calm and don’t throw objects to players, otherwise the game will be cancelled... PAK is in great position, please enjoy the game..”

Last I can recall was probably 1998, can’t recall the venue but for some reason, crowd suddenly felt that they need to throw at WIN players & game was stopped for few times. It can’t be that home team was taking a beating because PAK won all three Tests in that series by innings.

I have seen crowd disturbance even in UK/USA.... but when home team is losing. However, PAK, particularly Karachi crowd is a bit unique in that sense as they stopped games in series where home team was routing tourists & games where home teams are dominating - Aussies lost 3-0 in 1983, Indians would have been clean swept both in 1989 & 98; WIN was swept in 1998. I am sure, things have improved considerably from that state (of mind) & 10-12 years isolation can only help in that regard.

no one can even think of that right now. Our security forces are not shy to take action these days.no more levi and people as a whole think to watch the game rather than winnning.

Back