On This Day April 23rd, 1986: Zulqarnain Haider was born

Paradox

ODI Debutant
Runs
Happy Birthday Zulqarnain Haider!

May he have a good one - and good luck to him on all future endeavors, seeing that he isn't coming back to the national team.. or is he? :D

Happy b'day to him :kami , another lesser great born in april :)

Last edited:
A tall and lanky wicketkeeper who hails from Lahore, Zulqarnain Haider made his international debut against South Africa in a Twenty20 match. His debut was not as successful as a player would like it to be. He was later dropped from the national side. However, Haider worked hard on his weaknesses and on his game in domestic leagues. His hard work at the domestic level was good enough to get him selected for Pakistan's 2010 England Tour as Kamran Akmal was not having a great time with gloves.

5014.jpg

Haider made his test debut against England in the 2nd Test where he got a first ball duck in first innings. In the second innings, he was given out on first ball as well but he reviewed the umpires decision which gave him another chance and Haider scored a gutsy 88 which took Pakistan out of danger of having to follow on.

He was later ruled out of the series after injuring his finger as he was preventing the ball thrown by Stuart Broad. Since Kamran was unavailable for national selection, Haider was selected for Pakistan's tour of the UAE where he scored match winning runs in the fourth one day international. Just before the fifth ODI of the series, Haider was reported to be missing from his hotel room. He was later found in London where he claimed he had been threated for not co-operating with a bookmaker. This move made Haider retire from international cricket.

However, he was subsequently fined 500,000 Rupees and he eventually decided to make his return to domestic cricket in October 2011, almost a year from the date he fled the national side.

Few Pak cricketers have let me down more than Zulqernain. Really thought he was gonna be there for a long time, as a batsman he had a sensible head on the shoulder. As a person though, he seemed to be rather afraid of the environment. Good guidance could have helped him i guess?

Happy Birthday Zulqarnain.
U19 World Cup winner 2004.
88 on Test debut in 2010 at Edgbaston.
Can never take that away from him.

Debuted in such a weird period in Pakistan cricketing history, even in their terms. And then sadly contributed to it. Does anyone know what he is up to these days.

Zoni, I miss you.

He was a god send child to Pakistan cricket but he was not prepared to deal with the da.gerous wolves that surrounded him.

Few Pak cricketers have let me down more than Zulqernain. Really thought he was gonna be there for a long time, as a batsman he had a sensible head on the shoulder. As a person though, he seemed to be rather afraid of the environment. Good guidance could have helped him i guess?

I still feel genuinely sad when i think of Zoni.

In such a weirdly shirt career he played some.memorable little knocks and showed trmendous courage which is now a weird word to associate with him given everything thag happened in the end.

I was in Dubai that day when he didnt show up for the ODI game against South Africa.

I recall watching SA players giggling over Pakistan's misfortune but what a strange that was.

Really dont know what happened to him.

Zulqarnain probably didn't have much chance with the arrival of Sarfaraz Ahmed. Sarfaraz was a better option than him.

Back