On This Day: September 14, 1966 - Aamir Sohail was born

Gotham Cronie

Test Debutant
Runs
Former Pakistan opener, Aamir Sohail, turns 46 today.

Aamir Sohail played over 200 international matches for Pakistan. A courageous and attacking left-hand opening batsman, he has also captained Pakistan in both Tests and ODIs, as well as serve as Chief Selector for the Pakistan Cricket Board. He also served as Director of National Cricket Academy (NCA) and Game Development where he is noted for his work with a number of Pakistani cricketers.

Now a highly respected cricket commentator and pundit, his honest and forthright views on Pakistan and indeed world cricket are highly regarded and appreciated.

He frequently contributes to PakPassion.net with his blog, 'Sohail Speaks'

http://pakpassion.net/sohail-speaks

Amir_Sohail.jpeg

I admire his honesty and forthrightness on various cricketing issues like the ball tampering culture of Pakistani bowlers in the 80s and 90s and how it has lead to their decline in the present.

On this day in 1966 the man who told Botham to send out his mother-in-law was born

One and only Aamer Sohail....

I like him blunt and patriotic. I wish he comes back as a commentator again.

I'm tired of listening to Rameesh Raja.

For those who dont know the story:

Ian Botham was never shy of openly expressing his views and, naturally, controversies always dogged him both on and off the cricket field. In 1983, after being forced to fly back home from Pakistan during the Test Series between Pakistan and England, Botham’s views once again sparked controversy.

“….the kind of place to send your mother-in-law for a month, all expenses paid”

This is how he described Pakistan, for which he eventually had to apologise. Less than a decade later Botham ate his words when a certain Wasim Akram got rid of him for a duck in the World Cup 92 final and Amir Sohail asked him:

“Who’s coming in next? Your mother-in-law?”

He also told Prasad to "go fetch the ball" from the boundary......... and the rest is history.

A good player on his day but no way near world class. Never happy with the PCB or any of the players. Still remember his comment of accusing Sarfaraz of match fixing some months back when Pak won the Champions Trophy. Like all ex Pak cricketers he is always bitter.

Back