On This Day: September 29, 1995 - Century for Saleem Elahi on his ODI debut against Sri Lanka

Kianig89

Senior Test Player
Runs
A remarkable performance from Saleem Elahi led Pakistan to a nine-wicket victory over Sri Lanka in the first one-day international in Gujranwala. Not yet 19, Elahi stroked an unbeaten 102 on his ODI debut at a time when he had not even played a first-class match. And he reached three figures in the grand manner, with a straight six off Pramodya Wickramasinghe.

Source- cricinfo Elahi's ODI record

Matches Runs 100s HS Avg. SR

48 1579 4 135 36.72 72.31

tbh these are top stats as a Pakistan opener specially keeping in mind the TTTF's like :hafeez :farhat etc then why didn't he lasted longer :wasti was he victim of any conspiracies :facepalm: any senior PPer can elaborate :13:

Mods please correct the title its Sep 29

Last edited:
He was just the fourth player to hit an ODI century on debut at the time.

The last thing I remember about him was his century vs SAF in 2002.

When he had that big partnership with Razzaq.

Ya took me by surprise maybe his career was halted because of :afridi tullay baazi

He was just unlucky given that he played in the wrong era.

These are good stats but hard to displace Saeed Anwar/Aamer Sohail in their prime.

Once Sohail retired - Afridi and Imran Nazir were given opportunities due to their attacking style of play and 80+ SR.

Not that I agree with what happened but in hindsight this was probably the reasoning the selectors had in their minds.

He should have played more ODIs, was definitely better than a lot of TTFs who played for Pakistan in the last 10 years.

Back