Pakistan Cricket lacks visionaries and thinkers

UzmanBeast

First Class Star
Runs
Post of the Week
Across departments, regions, and different levels of infrastructure, Pakistan Cricket lacks visionaries and thinkers of the game. Events unfolding now are a culmination of the lack of development of a gritty, fighting mentality across all our levels of cricket.

Over our history, we have been blessed with some extremely raw talents. The most successful of these talents were revolutionary thinkers of the game. The intelligence in cricket, and the quality of knowledge possessed by some of these legends of the past were translated into great performances in tough situations. The 'street smarts' of back then have not only been lost in most cases, but unfortunately, they have failed to be developed by the future generations of cricketers. That pool of cricketing knowledge within the country has shrunk if anything, because despite batsmen and bowlers alike entering the circuit with heaps of talent, they leave little mark, if any, on the state of the country's cricket.

Simply ask yourselves, what 'era' of cricket has Pakistan enjoyed post the Imran Khan era? You can hardly think of any era, perhaps only Misbah-ul-Haq's era as test captain comes close, yet, perhaps the only 'revolutionary' aspect of that side was the rise and success of the leg-spinner Yasir Shah in an era which saw leg-spin diminish significantly in test cricket.

This knowledge deficit means that the team which we have selected now (again with a lack of vision and long-term planning in mind) is left stranded in unfamiliar waters, where lesser ranked teams are able to use their enhanced pool of knowledge to bring the advantage in their favor. This translates to simple decisions such as playing another left-arm spinner, bowling wider yorkers in the super over, and many other decisions.

The fact of the matter is that the Pakistan Cricket Team is not a very smart cricket team, by any means. And I do not mean academically or with regards to any stupid comments such as the inability to speak English, all of which is irrelevant. I mean with regards to the ability to understand, execute, and dominate cricketing matches and scenarios.

The problem lies in the whole cricketing turmoil that we know as Pakistan Cricket.

I'll only focus on T20s at the moment given that we are in the world cup at the moment.

From a batting perspective, this team is stuck in a phase of transitioning to a copied template of aggressive intent and powerful batting and a more cautious, cumulative manner in scoring runs. Once Rizwan lost his wicket, instead of playing a more reserved role, Usman Khan went after the opposition, and rightly so. After he fell, Fakhar Zaman tried his hand at the same 'shoot first, ask questions later' approach. Yet, neither could make an impact on the game.

The issue therein lies in the inability of the cricketers to take calculated, favorable risks on a regular basis. Usman Khan, as correctly pointed out by the commentators, was better off hitting straight than towards long-off, which is where the fielder was placed. Fakhar Zaman could have pulled that same delivery off the back foot knowing that the bounce on the pitch was not true at the time. Staying ahead of the game is the issue for this team, because most times, they react to situations too late. Once Usman Khan's wicket had been lost, with the team teetering at 24-2, there should have been sufficient evidence that a partnership between two of the better batsmen in the team was required. Yet, it took another wicket to fall from a poor shot for the batsmen to realize that all guns blazing was not the approach. In a ground which had favorable dimensions for a batting team with deeper pockets, the fact that singles and doubles being rejected where they were possible is alarming. The number of dot balls was incredibly high, nearly 50 or more if I'm not mistaken. that comes down to the captain of the team, who played 19 of those dot deliveries himself. Yes, it is a pressure situation, and he did make the right decision to take the game deep. But taking the game deep can also be done by being more positive in the running, and understanding that the flow of runs should not be choked. I believe Babar Azam was 5 runs from 18 deliveries at some stage post the powerplay, which is a horrendous sign for a batting team. On this pitch, I understand that it was indeed difficult to bat given the intelligent bowling by the USA team, yet, a minimum of a run-a-ball should be the expectation.

If one notices how the USA team approached the chase, they stood put when it mattered, punished poor deliveries when they arrived, and most importantly, they ran positively. Our fielders gave away doubles and singles where there should have been none, and part of the reason comes to the bowlers themselves.

Bowlers executing skills depends on bowlers taking the time to think about the impact of their deliveries on the game. It depends on the type of approach they have on that particular phase of the game. At times, it is sensible to bowl defensively, whereas other times, it is appropriate to bowl for wickets. The powerplay bowling was sub-par with the conditions available. Bowling on a good length was hardly seen, despite it being the most challenging length for Pakistan's batters to face even. This merely comes down to lack of attentiveness and proactiveness in the players - observing the success factors of other teams means sometimes having to put behind your egos and appreciating that the opposition has made better use of conditions. When it came to the death even, our bowlers who are known around the world for their death bowling failed to bowl to their respective fields. I'll go through a few shoddy decisions the bowling group made in the entire game, which ended up costing the match from a bowling perspective.

Case A - Shadab Khan bowling leg-breaks and googlies on a leg-stump line to Aaron Jones, who hit 10 sixes against Canada in the midwicket region, just to get deposited there for a six.

Case B - Shaheen Shah Afridi goes around the wicked to bowl wider out-swinging yorkers. Why is mid-off not pushed back to long-on? Seriously, what level of thinking is needed to understand that it is unlikely for a batsman to be able to turn the ball round the corner when it is swinging in the opposite direction and coming in at a yorker length? This cost the team a four.

Case C - Haris Rauf bowling yorkers on middle-leg stump line to Aaron Jones when he should have observed that Aaron Jones' off-side game was heavily limited. Similarly, long-off was not back and Jones first hit a six to the leg-side (favored side) and four down to long-off (no fielder).

Vision, intelligence, and acumen are so fundamentally important in a team setting. A visionary leader will select a team that is capable of not only doing the simple things correctly, but a team that possesses the talent and thinking capacity to adapt to difficult conditions and circumstances and still come out winning. Players who are intelligent will know which of their skillsets to hone and develop to become more dominant in the world game, and will know how to weigh risks and rewards in pressure situations. And this intelligence paves the way for a team and its players to read the game, understand the requirements of the circumstances, and execute plans which have a higher chance of success than failure. Even if a team like this falls short, they will have the capacity to assess their faults and ensure that mistakes spanning two editions of a world cup are not repeated.

I ask you to look through this Pakistan Team and name any visionaries you find in the squad. Do not be met with surprise if you cannot find one, because quite simply, I cannot find one either.

Try crying about a lack of vision when you open the T20 innings with two accumulators

Everything after this is pointless and just going through the motions.

I don't think it's that deep. All points are valid, but doing just the basics, selecting players who deserve to be there , invest in their ability , have a basic level of fitness.

shadab lost his wicket today because he was tired. Took a break after running 2, 2s and then played a tired shot straight to the fielder. The team needs to want to win before anything seriously changes.

Someone needs to a do a deep review and study on what has happened to this team after the last T20 WC final.

Try crying about a lack of vision when you open the T20 innings with two accumulators

Everything after this is pointless and just going through the motions.
The vision of the management and captain was to take a safer approach, which makes sense from one perspective. Players have to execute their skills at the end of the day. If other options have not executed their skills, then a tried-and-tested combination is not a bad decision.

However, the larger issue is taking a collective, and crystal clear decision. Pick your openers before the tournament, well before the tournament.

If the decision is to open with Saim and Babar, then this should not change regardless of the results before the world cup.

Chopping and changing should be constructive.

I assure you, I will not have an issue with Saim + X opening if this is clear to the team, to the players, and to the fans. The management should have the guts to make decisions in advance.

I don't think it's that deep. All points are valid, but doing just the basics, selecting players who deserve to be there , invest in their ability , have a basic level of fitness.

shadab lost his wicket today because he was tired. Took a break after running 2, 2s and then played a tired shot straight to the fielder. The team needs to want to win before anything seriously changes.
Fitness is another area.

I think the Pakistan Team is a team of players, not athletes. They do not have the prime physical conditions to get as much of an advantage over other teams.

Fitness is another area.

I think the Pakistan Team is a team of players, not athletes. They do not have the prime physical conditions to get as much of an advantage over other teams.

Did you see how they were moving in the field? Lethargic and overweight. This will be a 5 year job atleast.

Are there any promising talent in u19?

I wrote something similar in another thread except a lot less detailed. The current Pakistan team and management is one of the most low IQ I have seen in a long time. Their bowlers bowl brainlessly, give them a new ball and they'll bowl 6 wides in the first two overs, the rest will be a mix of full tosses and maybe the odd one which will be wicket to wicket.
The batsmen will try to swipe everything to leg, so the bowlers will just pitch a yard outside offstump and wait for the mis-hit. Then if you still want to give them the benefit of the doubt just look at the DRS reviews they take. The ball could be going down the legside buy a foot and they'll still think it's worth a shout.

Just one of the dumbest cricket teams in the modern era. They made a team of hotch potch amateurs look like tactical geniuses.

Did you see how they were moving in the field? Lethargic and overweight. This will be a 5 year job atleast.

Are there any promising talent in u19?
Some decent fast bowlers but it's unlikely that any will fare the distance in the system if they do not have some exceptional drive to enhance their skills and improve.

I wrote something similar in another thread except a lot less detailed. The current Pakistan team and management is one of the most low IQ I have seen in a long time. Their bowlers bowl brainlessly, give them a new ball and they'll bowl 6 wides in the first two overs, the rest will be a mix of full tosses and maybe the odd one which will be wicket to wicket.
The batsmen will try to swipe everything to leg, so the bowlers will just pitch a yard outside offstump and wait for the mis-hit. Then if you still want to give them the benefit of the doubt just look at the DRS reviews they take. The ball could be going down the legside buy a foot and they'll still think it's worth a shout.

Just one of the dumbest cricket teams in the modern era. They made a team of hotch potch amateurs look like tactical geniuses.
Definitely the team does does not possess the cricketing knowledge to use conditions and skillsets to their advantage.

This pitch had some life in it. It doesn't help if you don't pitch the ball on the square itself and instead throw full tosses.

We need middle order batters too.
Certainly. This has to be the last world cup edition we play with makeshift middle order batsmen.

After this world cup, the management seriously needs to look at the batting stocks in the country and make decisions.

What is the template that the team is going to adopt for the T20 World Cup? Aggressive openers? Who are they going to be? Identify them now and proceed to develop them. Lots of batting all-rounders? Find them, and develop them. Who are the match-winners? Find them, give them a long rope.

This team desperately needs a stable helm for the next 4 years.

Certainly. This has to be the last world cup edition we play with makeshift middle order batsmen.

After this world cup, the management seriously needs to look at the batting stocks in the country and make decisions.

What is the template that the team is going to adopt for the T20 World Cup? Aggressive openers? Who are they going to be? Identify them now and proceed to develop them. Lots of batting all-rounders? Find them, and develop them. Who are the match-winners? Find them, give them a long rope.

I’ll put you in charge. Let’s hear your thoughts.

Aggressive openers, who are they? Identity them now. Let’s hear your thoughts.

Someone needs to a do a deep review and study on what has happened to this team after the last T20 WC final.

I will tell you what happened. The PCB allowed the players to get away from mandatory fitness tests, Babar Azam got unparalleled powers to select who ever he wants and the same group of 15-18 kept getting picked again and again regardless of performance.

Results are in front of us. Players should have been sacked after the Asia Cup, ODI WC showing in 2023

I’ll put you in charge. Let’s hear your thoughts.

Aggressive openers, who are they? Identity them now. Let’s hear your thoughts.
Team selection depends entirely on the type of squad and templates you would like to keep.

It depends on the values you want to set as a side in all phases of the game.

Firstly with the batting lineup, if we stick with T20I cricket post 2024 WC, then I would probably suggest that it would play to Pakistan's strength to follow an England template, stacking themselves with all-rounders and flexible enough to ensure that a fluid batting order can be maintained.

Some players who have a very good potential to develop into fine all-rounders are Saim Ayub, Jahandad Khan, Mohammad Wasim Junior, Aamir Jamal, Saud Shakeel, Kamran Ghulam, Salman Agha and a very young option could be Qasim Akram perhaps.

Out of all these 'untried' options, some require genuine development of their batting or bowling skills, which needs to be enhanced by offering them long-term domestic exposure to bat in adjudged positions alongside extensive coaching at the High Performance Center.

For a Pakistan Team, given our general volatility, a deep batting order whilst possessing viable, wicket-taking bowling options is necessary.

As for some explosive batsmen, there are very few in the circuit who have not already been tried with little success. But youth is perhaps a factor that I would take into consideration, alongside looking for players that have better techniques. A good technique means that runs can come in various conditions. The likes of Saim Ayub, Mohammad Haris, Usman Khan are the only names that stand out at the moment with some degree of youth and better technical characteristics than the rest. If Irfan Niazi gets opportunities to bat higher up the order and succeeds, he is also a good option here.

Lastly, with the bowling, I would look for a genuine frontline spinner - a mystery spinner or a very good wrist spinner. I would consider the likes of Abrar Ahmed, Faisal Akram, or another choice could be Arif Yaqoob given that he spins the ball well. I wouldn't mind also playing a left arm spinner like Mehran Mumtaz or Arafat Minhas either.

So post 2024 World Cup, I would experiment in bilaterals with the following players in these positions:

Saim Ayub / Usman Khan (wk)
Mohammad Haris (wk) / Mohammad Rizwan (wk)
Babar Azam
Kamran Ghulam / Saud Shakeel
Salman Agha / Irfan Khan Niazi
Imad Wasim
Aamir Jamal / Jahandad Khan
Mohammad Wasim Jr.
Shaheen Shah Afridi
Naseem Shah / Abbas Afridi
Abrar Ahmed / Faisal Akram

Across departments, regions, and different levels of infrastructure, Pakistan Cricket lacks visionaries and thinkers of the game. Events unfolding now are a culmination of the lack of development of a gritty, fighting mentality across all our levels of cricket.

Over our history, we have been blessed with some extremely raw talents. The most successful of these talents were revolutionary thinkers of the game. The intelligence in cricket, and the quality of knowledge possessed by some of these legends of the past were translated into great performances in tough situations. The 'street smarts' of back then have not only been lost in most cases, but unfortunately, they have failed to be developed by the future generations of cricketers. That pool of cricketing knowledge within the country has shrunk if anything, because despite batsmen and bowlers alike entering the circuit with heaps of talent, they leave little mark, if any, on the state of the country's cricket.

Simply ask yourselves, what 'era' of cricket has Pakistan enjoyed post the Imran Khan era? You can hardly think of any era, perhaps only Misbah-ul-Haq's era as test captain comes close, yet, perhaps the only 'revolutionary' aspect of that side was the rise and success of the leg-spinner Yasir Shah in an era which saw leg-spin diminish significantly in test cricket.

This knowledge deficit means that the team which we have selected now (again with a lack of vision and long-term planning in mind) is left stranded in unfamiliar waters, where lesser ranked teams are able to use their enhanced pool of knowledge to bring the advantage in their favor. This translates to simple decisions such as playing another left-arm spinner, bowling wider yorkers in the super over, and many other decisions.

The fact of the matter is that the Pakistan Cricket Team is not a very smart cricket team, by any means. And I do not mean academically or with regards to any stupid comments such as the inability to speak English, all of which is irrelevant. I mean with regards to the ability to understand, execute, and dominate cricketing matches and scenarios.

The problem lies in the whole cricketing turmoil that we know as Pakistan Cricket.

I'll only focus on T20s at the moment given that we are in the world cup at the moment.

From a batting perspective, this team is stuck in a phase of transitioning to a copied template of aggressive intent and powerful batting and a more cautious, cumulative manner in scoring runs. Once Rizwan lost his wicket, instead of playing a more reserved role, Usman Khan went after the opposition, and rightly so. After he fell, Fakhar Zaman tried his hand at the same 'shoot first, ask questions later' approach. Yet, neither could make an impact on the game.

The issue therein lies in the inability of the cricketers to take calculated, favorable risks on a regular basis. Usman Khan, as correctly pointed out by the commentators, was better off hitting straight than towards long-off, which is where the fielder was placed. Fakhar Zaman could have pulled that same delivery off the back foot knowing that the bounce on the pitch was not true at the time. Staying ahead of the game is the issue for this team, because most times, they react to situations too late. Once Usman Khan's wicket had been lost, with the team teetering at 24-2, there should have been sufficient evidence that a partnership between two of the better batsmen in the team was required. Yet, it took another wicket to fall from a poor shot for the batsmen to realize that all guns blazing was not the approach. In a ground which had favorable dimensions for a batting team with deeper pockets, the fact that singles and doubles being rejected where they were possible is alarming. The number of dot balls was incredibly high, nearly 50 or more if I'm not mistaken. that comes down to the captain of the team, who played 19 of those dot deliveries himself. Yes, it is a pressure situation, and he did make the right decision to take the game deep. But taking the game deep can also be done by being more positive in the running, and understanding that the flow of runs should not be choked. I believe Babar Azam was 5 runs from 18 deliveries at some stage post the powerplay, which is a horrendous sign for a batting team. On this pitch, I understand that it was indeed difficult to bat given the intelligent bowling by the USA team, yet, a minimum of a run-a-ball should be the expectation.

If one notices how the USA team approached the chase, they stood put when it mattered, punished poor deliveries when they arrived, and most importantly, they ran positively. Our fielders gave away doubles and singles where there should have been none, and part of the reason comes to the bowlers themselves.

Bowlers executing skills depends on bowlers taking the time to think about the impact of their deliveries on the game. It depends on the type of approach they have on that particular phase of the game. At times, it is sensible to bowl defensively, whereas other times, it is appropriate to bowl for wickets. The powerplay bowling was sub-par with the conditions available. Bowling on a good length was hardly seen, despite it being the most challenging length for Pakistan's batters to face even. This merely comes down to lack of attentiveness and proactiveness in the players - observing the success factors of other teams means sometimes having to put behind your egos and appreciating that the opposition has made better use of conditions. When it came to the death even, our bowlers who are known around the world for their death bowling failed to bowl to their respective fields. I'll go through a few shoddy decisions the bowling group made in the entire game, which ended up costing the match from a bowling perspective.

Case A - Shadab Khan bowling leg-breaks and googlies on a leg-stump line to Aaron Jones, who hit 10 sixes against Canada in the midwicket region, just to get deposited there for a six.

Case B - Shaheen Shah Afridi goes around the wicked to bowl wider out-swinging yorkers. Why is mid-off not pushed back to long-on? Seriously, what level of thinking is needed to understand that it is unlikely for a batsman to be able to turn the ball round the corner when it is swinging in the opposite direction and coming in at a yorker length? This cost the team a four.

Case C - Haris Rauf bowling yorkers on middle-leg stump line to Aaron Jones when he should have observed that Aaron Jones' off-side game was heavily limited. Similarly, long-off was not back and Jones first hit a six to the leg-side (favored side) and four down to long-off (no fielder).

Vision, intelligence, and acumen are so fundamentally important in a team setting. A visionary leader will select a team that is capable of not only doing the simple things correctly, but a team that possesses the talent and thinking capacity to adapt to difficult conditions and circumstances and still come out winning. Players who are intelligent will know which of their skillsets to hone and develop to become more dominant in the world game, and will know how to weigh risks and rewards in pressure situations. And this intelligence paves the way for a team and its players to read the game, understand the requirements of the circumstances, and execute plans which have a higher chance of success than failure. Even if a team like this falls short, they will have the capacity to assess their faults and ensure that mistakes spanning two editions of a world cup are not repeated.

I ask you to look through this Pakistan Team and name any visionaries you find in the squad. Do not be met with surprise if you cannot find one, because quite simply, I cannot find one either.
If I can be blunt, PAKISTAN is currently lacking visionaries and thinkers let alone Pakistan cricket. So Pakistan cricket seems like one of the many after effects from the current status of Pakistan.

Iftikhar stopping boundary with his foot..not attempting a catch at slip
Azam running in circle
Double taking on throws.

This tells u about fitness levels of team

They also lack common sense.

Why select players like Azam Khan and Iftikhar when they're proven duds or unfit? Why expose the weak middle order by playing Babar and Rizwan as openers?

You know the batting order is weak, so strengthen it. Give the middle-order responsibility to your experienced guys in Babar and/or Rizwan not to newbies or guys in their 40s. They are the ones who should be able to adjust compared to younger guys who only open the innings for their domestic teams.

I feel the WC squad is half the issue and the other is not selecting the right XI from those players. You can have a better team composition than what they just rolled out against the USA.

To be fair Pakistan bowlers landed 80% of the yorkers accurately which was quiet a surprising percentage. Missing one or two is not a crime. They were down and out with 6 overs to go. Credit to them for taking it to the final ball. The real problem was batting. Only reason USA didn't finish professionally was due to lack of experience. They had 7 wickets in hand. Could have gone a lot harder. Even against Canada towards the end Aaron jones started taking singles to make sure he doesn't mess up.

I will tell you what happened. The PCB allowed the players to get away from mandatory fitness tests, Babar Azam got unparalleled powers to select who ever he wants and the same group of 15-18 kept getting picked again and again regardless of performance.

Results are in front of us. Players should have been sacked after the Asia Cup, ODI WC showing in 2023

One thing that really surprises me about Babar, and which is speaks of his character/integrity other than his well known nepotism, is the absolute lack of self-respect. Any self-respecting captain would resign after losing to Afghanistan or the US in a major cup. But not Babar. Even after he was forced to give up the captaincy after the World Cup, he fought behind the scenes to regain the captaincy.

This guy is truly shameless.

You need intelligence for being a visionary.

Cricket is still considered a pastime or game in Pakistan, that's why you see many associate teams comprise of low-income labour Pakistanis.

Once you elevate the stakes from a game to a professional sport, that's where everything 'Pakistani' gets tossed out of the window.

You need intelligence for being a visionary.

Cricket is still considered a pastime or game in Pakistan, that's why you see many associate teams comprise of low-income labour Pakistanis.

Once you elevate the stakes from a game to a professional sport, that's where everything 'Pakistani' gets tossed out of the window.
The game awareness is WORSE than amateurs.

Look at the field set on that last ball. Babar deserves a public phainta for that thought process.

If Haris was going to go full at the stumps, why on earth would you have third man back and mid-off up? I just didn’t understand, did Haris throw the match willingly?

It’s school boy error. That ball was nowhere near the field. All any batsman had to do was clear his front leg and try to connect with the full delivery to scoop it over mid-off.

The game awareness is WORSE than amateurs.

Look at the field set on that last ball. Babar deserves a public phainta for that thought process.

If Haris was going to go full at the stumps, why on earth would you have third man back and mid-off up? I just didn’t understand, did Haris throw the match willingly?

It’s school boy error. That ball was nowhere near the field. All any batsman had to do was clear his front leg and try to connect with the full delivery to scoop it over mid-off.

You can give Babar 50 years in the job and he will still make the same mistakes again and again. In any merit based professional country he would have been shown the door with 6 months for incompetence.

Definitely the team does does not possess the cricketing knowledge to use conditions and skillsets to their advantage.

This pitch had some life in it. It doesn't help if you don't pitch the ball on the square itself and instead throw full tosses.

I don't watch a lot of domestic cricket but I watched the PSL this year and probably the outstanding pace bowler was Muhammad Ali. Pitched wicket to wicket and got a lot of movement with the new ball, and bowled relatively well at the death. His main weakness was on a flat pitch where he was less effective, but on these pitches he would have been lethal. Drop in pitches yet somehow the team management seem to have been taken completely by surprise at the conditions.

On the other hand, the same bowlers like Shaheen and Rauf were struggling to hit a consistent area, Shaheen has turned into Mohammad Irfan MkII where he can't bowl to one side of the wicket, and Rauf has never had control of his length. All this was on view in the PSL, were the selectors suddenly expecting something different once we hit the world cup?

I don't watch a lot of domestic cricket but I watched the PSL this year and probably the outstanding pace bowler was Muhammad Ali. Pitched wicket to wicket and got a lot of movement with the new ball, and bowled relatively well at the death. His main weakness was on a flat pitch where he was less effective, but on these pitches he would have been lethal. Drop in pitches yet somehow the team management seem to have been taken completely by surprise at the conditions.

On the other hand, the same bowlers like Shaheen and Rauf were struggling to hit a consistent area, Shaheen has turned into Mohammad Irfan MkII where he can't bowl to one side of the wicket, and Rauf has never had control of his length. All this was on view in the PSL, were the selectors suddenly expecting something different once we hit the world cup?
If you cannot execute basic cricketing plans when you have played international cricket for the best part of five years, you shouldn’t be here no matter how fast you are.

It’s shameful and no wonder these idiots go missing against big teams.

There is no concept of out cricket. Nothing. It’s just a bunch of players having a glorified net session.

Literally feels that way.

We say this after every debacle and the next World Cup we get the same thing.

PAKISTAN has a history of infighting which does not give the best. Imran / Javed, Wasim / Waqar. Now a grossly obese person is picked, non performers due to "friends" of a clique." Very sad indeed. I had a feeling Pakistan would exit after the first stage.The lose to USA proves me right.

Nasser Hussain and David Lloyd summed it up a week back, Pakistan cricket is left behind we are Still stuck in mid 2000s, trying to defend low totals cricket has evolved add to it the product we have in PSL is garbage name how many A listers have played PSL ,

Starc Cummins Hendricks Warner Buttler adil Rashid nobody and the surprising thing is PCB has not made any effort to lure in the top brass

Doing same thing over and over is stupidity who does military training for cricket World Cups no wonder Justice Cooke said "Clowns work in PCB"

All those things are secondary . You need talent and intelligence in your system first and foremost. Pakistan may have a wee bit of the former but none of the latter.

junk players are happy with psl money .. junk players will get selected from psl

If you cannot execute basic cricketing plans when you have played international cricket for the best part of five years, you shouldn’t be here no matter how fast you are.

It’s shameful and no wonder these idiots go missing against big teams.

There is no concept of out cricket. Nothing. It’s just a bunch of players having a glorified net session.

Literally feels that way.
There is no plan to create partnerships with the bat and attack specific bowlers when the time presents itself.

In the bowling, despite possessing various excellent physical traits such as pace, bounce, and skills to swing/seam the ball, our bowlers do not do their talents any justice by bowling shoddy deliveries that get dispatched.

For Haris's pace, and Shaheen's height, someone needs to explain to me why neither is able to land a good bouncer.

Instead of bowling a hard length and staying on the top of the stumps, Shaheen goes so full beyond any reasonable explanation, and is so predictable that the batters plant their front foots before the delivery is bowled.

The only impressive bowler throughout his four over spell today was Naseem Shah. Exclude the one over in the death Amir bowled, his spell too was wayward and did not make use of the conditions.

My nomination for POTW. Brilliantly put.

Losing hurts but it stings more when your side hasn't even done the basics.

Assess the conditions and determine your batting approach. Have plans for each batter. Bowl to your field. Show urgency and concentration while fielding. Is this asking too much for an international team ?

Even with our flawed domestic system and administrative chaos, we should still be beating teams like USA. It reflects horribly on Babar who's enjoyed an almost uninterrupted captaincy spell of 4.5 years. That's long enough to oversee the building of a cohesive team with clearly defined roles. However we currently look a rabble that even a decent Ranji or Shield team would beat.

pakistan as a country values group think and conformity over individualism and adventure, the cricket team reflects that. theres a multitude of reasons why this is, but its pointless going into them cos it'll just be a tangential digression which will offend someone or the other.

2003 wc to now, its the same story, and twenty years is long enough to realise nothing is going to change.

Pakistan is the most intellectually bankrupt cricket nation in the world.

99% of the stakeholders including the current players, former players, tv analysts, commentators, coaches, administrators, selectors and even the fans exhibit such poor understanding of cricket.

You can look around this forum and there are only a handful of posters who know what they are talking about.

All of Pakistan’s problems from day one stem from the fact that we just don’t understand the game well enough and this is why we have failed to develop a high performance culture that can breed success.

When we lose, we don’t know why we lost. We think we do but we don’t. Similarly, when we win, we don’t know why we won.

We are an inept cricket nation and we always will be an inept cricket nation. We just haven’t got what it takes. Never have and never will, and that is fine.

Not every sporting team is meant for success. It doesn’t mean you shouldn’t support them or enjoy the good moments.

Some of the most passionately supported sports teams in the world are not good enough to win the prizes that they are competing for but their fans still take pride in their support and enjoy the good moments.

Pakistani fans should do the same. It shouldn’t be so hard. Please overcome your feeling of entitlement.

99% of the stakeholders including the current players, former players, tv analysts, commentators, coaches, administrators, selectors and even the fans exhibit such poor understanding of cricket.

You can look around this forum and there are only a handful of posters who know what they are talking about.

All of Pakistan’s problems from day one stem from the fact that we just don’t understand the game well enough and this is why we have failed to develop a high performance culture that can breed success.

When we lose, we don’t know why we lost. We think we do but we don’t. Similarly, when we win, we don’t know why we won.

We are an inept cricket nation and we always will be an inept cricket nation. We just haven’t got what it takes. Never have and never will, and that is fine.

Not every sporting team is meant for success. It doesn’t mean you shouldn’t support them or enjoy the good moments.

Some of the most passionately supported sports teams in the world are not good enough to win the prizes that they are competing for but their fans still take pride in their support and enjoy the good moments.

Pakistani fans should do the same. It shouldn’t be so hard. Please overcome your feeling of entitlement.
Fun fact: Pakistan is the most bankrupt cricket nation

Nepotism and Corruption in Pakistan Cricket: A Mirror of Broader Societal Challenges:

The chaos in Pakistan's civil society, characterized by pervasive corruption and a lack of rule of law, is mirrored in the realm of Pakistan cricket, where nepotism and corruption significantly impact the sport. Just as in broader society, where influential individuals manipulate systems for personal gain, cricket governance in Pakistan often sees favoritism and nepotistic practices that undermine meritocracy and fairness. Talented players frequently find themselves sidelined in favor of those with connections to powerful figures within the cricketing establishment. This environment of corruption and favoritism not only hampers the development of cricket but also reflects the broader socio-political issues plaguing the country. The same lack of accountability that allows corruption to flourish in civil society enables similar practices in cricket, leading to inconsistent team performance, public disillusionment, and missed opportunities for nurturing genuine talent. Consequently, the struggles of Pakistan cricket serve as a microcosm of the challenges faced by the nation as a whole.

Pakistan's Loss to USA: Not Canary but BLARING ALARM in the Coal Mine!

Pakistan's loss to the USA in cricket serves as an ALARM in the coal mine, signaling deeper issues within Pakistan's cricketing infrastructure and hinting at broader challenges faced by established cricketing nations. Despite Pakistan's rich cricketing heritage, this unexpected defeat highlights the dangers of complacency, the impact of internal mismanagement, and the importance of continuous improvement. It reflects a need for introspection and reform within Pakistan's cricket governance, where issues like corruption and nepotism may be undermining the development of genuine talent. This loss also underscores the rising competitiveness of emerging cricket nations, reminding established teams that the global cricketing landscape is evolving and that they must adapt to maintain their dominance.

Should Pakistan have won?

It would have been some comfort to the fans, it would have given some respite, it would have given some happiness to the Pakistan citizens bombarded with bad to worst news one after another but it would have been nothing but a "false alarm".

The term "false alarm" aptly describes the recurrent cycles of hope and disappointment that characterize Pakistan cricket. Over the years, moments of brilliance, such as unexpected victories and the emergence of promising talents, often raise expectations of a new golden era for Pakistani cricket. However, these high hopes frequently dissolve into disillusionment due to underlying issues like inconsistent performance, internal team conflicts, and administrative mismanagement. Instances of corruption and nepotism further exacerbate these problems, creating a volatile environment where potential is rarely fully realized. This pattern of false dawns highlights the need for systemic reforms to achieve sustained success and stability, turning fleeting moments of glory into a consistent legacy of excellence in Pakistan cricket.

What is the reality?

I wish I could you comfort.

I wish I could give you hope.

I wish I could give you a plan.

But I cannot...​
  1. Our Board is run like a personal fiefdom by whoever is the latest "political" appointee​
  2. Our domestic playing Infrastructure is in tatters​
  3. Our domestic tournaments look like picnic organized & run by and attended by Senior citizens!​
  4. Our selection committee is forever playing "Kick the Can"​
  5. Our Sports Journalists & Ex-Cricketers are like "12 year old" mean tattletales and some like "nasty ex-girlfriends" forever threatening to expose or actively gossiping or "revealing secrets"​
  6. Our Pundits and experts are forever playing musical chairs "drop X and bring Y"​
Its time to accept reality! There are nobody in the Domestic circuit who could make significant difference to this team in Test Cricket, ODI or T20.

What is the way forward?

Pakistan cricket is at its lowest ebb, plagued by inconsistent performances and internal disarray. The team's struggles highlight the urgent need for comprehensive reforms and a renewed focus on stability and cohesion.

No! Don't give me past examples, we are AT THE LOWEST! Its time to rip the BAND-AID and let it BLEED!

1. Audit the PCB and make the report Public!
  2. The PCB needs to be un-politicized and run by a competent Administrator. Everything about it needs to be transparent and public and answerable to the public. Ideally, it should be privatized but considering the state of the economy it won't run but the trajectory needs to be set that it needs to be privatized.
  3. Cut 60% of the Staff of PCB.
  4. Remove all the freebies and stipends to non-players! Let the ex-cricketers and Journalists ***** and moan!
  5. The data of ALL domestic players (including medically determined age) needs to be made public. That's the price to pay for every young man or young woman aspiring to play for their country. No more age fudging controversies. All the Data from the day someone enters the system should be public.
    1. FITNESS CRITERIA should be explicitly defined and scores publicly available.
  6. In addition to National NCA, have major Gyms provide sponsorship to budding cricketers and let them use their facilities (free) or subsidized by PCB across major cities and population areas of Pakistan.
  7. Make Bite size YouTube videos in Urdu on diet, fitness, basic batting, bowling, wickekeeping and fielding techniques. A kid in GB should be able to go to PCB YouTube channel and learn how to hold a bat or ball to measuring his runup etc!
  8. Make Bitesize Youtube videos in Urdu on how to organsie drills for local coaches.
  9. Restore School cricket across major cities of Pakistan and give substantial prize money to talented kids and make it worth their while!
    1. Restore + Create major school, college and university NATIONAL tournaments and give substantial prize money and ensure that it does not conflict with existing Academic activities. Give free entry to Semi-finals and finals and broadcast on TV.
  10. Restore Cricket Scholasrhips for over 16s across major educational Institutions where the yongsters will come from the school feeder system
  11. Come up with a competent first-class system and leave it in place for 4 years, NOTHING WILL CHANGE FOR 4 YEARS!
    1. Department Cricket: There is no money in the country from anywhere else so we have no choice but to have departments finance the game and players! 4
    2. 4 Day Cricket: Each Team will play 4 days of unrestricted cricket (meaning no over limit) spread to all corners of the country with a longer season.
      1. Ground from Gwadar (Baluchistan) to high altitude Pissan valley (GB) will be curated according to local conditions and used with Teams distributed and players subjected to as many conditions as possible.
    3. ODI Cricket: The ODI Domestic Teams will be selected from 4-Day Cricket, games played across 4-5 large metropolis cities and entrance free for anyone under the age of 18 with live broadcast on TV. Nobody is attending anyways so might as well get youngsters in and let them watch. The timings would be such that it does not clash with schools/colleges/universities etc . The pitches need to be flat as pancakes!
    4. T20 Cricket: Same as ODI
    5. A-Tours:
      1. PCB to organise Tours on every level (School, university, Department etc) on a regular and frequent basis with friendly boards and countries.
      2. Lean on large Ex-Pat Pakistani community overseas to provide finances and support where necessary
  12. PSL: Truly privatize the organisation which runs PSL and ensure that it is answerable to shareholders. It is recognised thattheir primary focus is to make money! The Franchises should have be free to select and pay whatever and whoever they want, but:
    1. They should have a local Academy system with reports submitted to PCB
    2. Theys should support local Cricketers and provide stipends and sponsorships (as far as possible) with the recognition that their primary purpose is to make money
    3. COMMISIONED SCOUTS: These guys would be paid (as a commission) for talents which they unearth across the country and report to PSL Franchises
  13. SELECTION COMMITTEE: Should be instituted at District level and detailed report should be submitted at least quarterly to the higher level all the way to National Level. All reports should be PUBLIC. There should be a quarterly meeting between a committee and its immediate higher Tier culminating in National committee meeting the provincial committee.
    1. COMMISIONED SCOUTS: These guys would be paid (as a commission) for talents which they unearth across the country and report to PCB
  14. MEDICAL COMMITTEE: 1-2 Specialists at PCB but initiate contracts with well known and established Hospitals across the country (Shaukat Khanam, Aga Khan etc) and overseas. The PCB speciliasts provide counsultancy but the major care is provided by Hospitals themwelves. Reports to be made Public
  15. EXCEPTIONS: Every system has exceptional talent which is too young, too raw to meet the standards. Exceptions should be clearly identified and decisions to fast-track them should be public with the rationale on how and why they are being fast-tracked!
Let the system for 4 years. Then once its in place, run a transparent Audit and make changes as necessary.

I am not saying that these recommendations are perfect or solution but I am saying that GENUINE REFORM is necessary and if nothing concrete is put in place then RIP PAKISTAN CRICKET

Fans should not settle for anything less than an uprooting of PCB current regime, nepotism, favoritism, corruption, political interference etc.

Swapping Player X for Player Y is not the answer, if we want to save Pakistan Cricket

Pakistan Cricket with it's rich tradition and history is dying before our eyes

Your fans are annoying too they are fighting as to who performed the worst and are posting opinions and stats to support that.

Even in social media they are doing the same

Plenty of truth in the first half of your analysis, but I don't agree with the second. It wouldn't take that much to coach some professionalism into the side, although it won't come through domestic cricket as that seems to be run worse than local league sides in England.

Bangladesh and Sri Lanka improved dramatically in a short space of time, and Afghanistan are getting better year on year with an even worse infrastructure. Isolate the top talent and spend some PCB resources on hiring high quality coaches and team management to look after those.

Pak openers accumulate runs by single and doubles and occasional boundary. Take zero risk in powerplays and always leave too much for middle order to save their asses. To Pak's bad luck, one of them is their captain and the other is his best friend. Ifthikar is now being blamed, last match Azam was blamed, Shadab before that but no one is blaming Rizwan for his zero intent innings yesterday. If he had scored 40(41), Pak would have won anyway.

Plenty of truth in the first half of your analysis, but I don't agree with the second. It wouldn't take that much to coach some professionalism into the side, although it won't come through domestic cricket as that seems to be run worse than local league sides in England.

Bangladesh and Sri Lanka improved dramatically in a short space of time, and Afghanistan are getting better year on year with an even worse infrastructure. Isolate the top talent and spend some PCB resources on hiring high quality coaches and team management to look after those.
Not just professionalism, they lack mental toughness. They had almost won yesterday- all they needed to do yesterday was not panic & go into a shell when a couple of wickets fell, but it was very predictable that they would do exactly that. The same thing happened against USA too - it’s not a secret anymore that Pakistanis just give up so quickly & not fight back & that is probably on the captain.

The title of the thread is “Pakistan Cricket lacks visionaries and thinkers”

To be fair, you could drop the word “cricket” from that sentence and it would be the truth.
The PCB, and other institutions, are merely a microcosm of the failings of the state — which has been the case since 1947.
Nothing will change

In my opinion from the short time which I have spent on this Forum, you seem to be troll and take delight in projecting and spreading negativity and pessimism and take wrong conclusions from data and take delight in it.

In England, on Radio 5 live when you listen to "fans" after a game 90% of the callers are ranting and frustrated and very few callers have detailed strategic and tactical insight. The same is true for most fans around the world and nothing specific to Pakistan or Pakistani fans.

It is because most fans are not professional coaches but follow a team due to Patriotism or some sort of belonging.

The added complication in the case of Pakistan is Political Interference & Elite Capture. Overwhelming majority of Pakistanees did not vote for this Government but they were robbed of their will and their vote and thieves and robbers were inflicted upon them from the barrel of a Gun.

Mohsin Naqvi and the cabal running the game is not a choice but oppression inflicted upon the people.

Administrators: This is not a political post but depiction of reality that the current setup is not the choice of the people. Deleting this post would be a political choice.

Back