Pakistan to play 3 ODIs against Afghanistan in Sri Lanka

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Pakistan will tour Sri Lanka to play Afghanistan in three-match One-Day International series in August.

The two teams will play the first two matches in Hambantota on 22 and 24 before they travel to Colombo for the final ODI on 26.

These three matches will provide Babar Azam’s side an opportunity to fine-tune their combinations ahead of the 50-over ACC Men’s Asia Cup, which begins on 30 August with Pakistan playing Nepal at the picturesque Multan Cricket Stadium.

The national men’s side will assemble in Sri Lanka on 17 August and will train on 19, 20 and 21 August.

Pakistan and Afghanistan have played four ODIs and Pakistan have won all of them. The two sides last played each other in the format in the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2019.

Tour itinerary:

17 Aug – Pakistan assemble in Sri Lanka

19, 20, 21 Aug – Training sessions

22 Aug – First ODI, Hambantota

24 Aug – Second ODI, Hambantota

26 Aug – Third ODI, Colombo

27 Aug – Departure for Pakistan

Bad news for Pakistan?

==

ACB chief selector Asadullah Khan has confirmed that their star player Rashid Khan will be available for the contest.

"He [Rashid] skipped the Hundred for these games [against Pakistan] as he wanted some rest to be fully fit for the Pakistan game. Consistently he is playing cricket, so he took a rest from Hundred for the Pakistan series,"

"We had a preparation camp in Kabul, and the next camp will be in Hambantota from August 10, and he will join the camp in Hambantota,"

"We have lots of hopes from the fast bowling attack along with the spinners. And as a batting unit, we are hopeful that those players who are out of form will regain form in the Asia Cup and in the Pakistan series as well. The good thing is everybody is fully fit and very happy, and they are working very hard to perform well"

"That ODI series win against Bangladesh gives us lots of confidence as a batting and bowling unit. We won in Bangladesh, which means that our preparation was very good, and some of the mistakes that we made in Bangladesh, I am sure our coach Jonathon and his staff are working very hard on that."

This is great preparation for pakistan and Afghanistan before asia cup .I think it will be close contest and pak may win 2-1

Yeah really good series and good test before Asia Cup and World Cup. Hope Rashid Khan is fit as we need to test ourselves. No gain in hiding from the best and spanking the worst.

Pakistan should be well accustomed to Sri Lanka conditions by now so that will no excuse.

Afghanistan Cricket Board’s Selection Committee today named a 18-member National squad for the home three-match ODI series against Pakistan, which will be played from 22 to 26 August in Sri Lanka.

The Fast Bowling duo of Mohammad Saleem Safi and Wafadar Momand, who were part of Afghanistan’s recent ODI tour to Bangladesh, have retained their spots in the lineup. Left-arm spinner Zia Ur Rahman Akbar, who recently made his ODI debut against Bangladesh and the uncapped Leggie Izharulhaq Naveed have both been left of the squad for the Pakistan Series.

Left-arm wrist-spinner Noor Ahmad, who were left out of the team’s last ODI series has returned to the lineup whereas the left-handed middle order batter Shahidullah Kamal and the left-arm fast bowler Farid Ahmad Malik, are part of the traveling reserves for the tour.

ACB Chief Selector Mr. Asadullah Khan: “Our whole concentration is to prepare the team for the upcoming two big events of Asia Cup and the World Cup 2023. This three-match ODI series against Pakistan provides us with a wonderful opportunity to prepare the team for the forthcoming two events."”

“The preparations for the Pakistan series are progressing well; the players have recently performed well in the Kabul Camp, which has been supervised by ACB's HPC staff. The team will also undergo a week-long conditioning camp prior to the Pakistan Series.” He added.

Afghanistan Squad: Hashmatullah Shahidi (C), Rahmanullah Gurbaz (WK), Ikram Alikhil (WK), Ibrahim Zadran, Riaz Hassan, Rahmat Shah, Najibullah Zadran, Mohammad Nabi, Azmatullah Omarzai, Rashid Khan, Noor Ahmad, Mujeeb Ur Rehman, Fazal Haq Farooqi, Abdul Rahman, Mohammad Saleem Safi and Wafadar Momand.

Reserves include Farid Ahmad Malik and Shahidullah Kamal.

Series Schedule

22nd August – 1st ODI, Hambantota, Sri Lanka

24th August – 2nd ODI, Hambantota, Sri Lanka

26th August – 3rd ODI, Colombo, Sri Lanka

Bad news for Pakistan?

==

ACB chief selector Asadullah Khan has confirmed that their star player Rashid Khan will be available for the contest.

"He [Rashid] skipped the Hundred for these games [against Pakistan] as he wanted some rest to be fully fit for the Pakistan game. Consistently he is playing cricket, so he took a rest from Hundred for the Pakistan series,"

"We had a preparation camp in Kabul, and the next camp will be in Hambantota from August 10, and he will join the camp in Hambantota,"

"We have lots of hopes from the fast bowling attack along with the spinners. And as a batting unit, we are hopeful that those players who are out of form will regain form in the Asia Cup and in the Pakistan series as well. The good thing is everybody is fully fit and very happy, and they are working very hard to perform well"

"That ODI series win against Bangladesh gives us lots of confidence as a batting and bowling unit. We won in Bangladesh, which means that our preparation was very good, and some of the mistakes that we made in Bangladesh, I am sure our coach Jonathon and his staff are working very hard on that."
Bad news for Babar Azam

Should be a good series and we will see how good we are at playing spin. Going into the world cup

Go after Afg with the same mindset they went after Sri Lanka with. Even if you lose wickets keep up the scoring and pile on the pressure.

I am not a fan of this mindset that attack no matter what. This approach will cost us dearly at some point. Players should play according to situation.

The foreign coaching staff of the Pakistan cricket team is set to join ahead of the Afghanistan series this week. Grant Bradburn, the head coach, and batting coach Andrew Puttick are scheduled to arrive on Friday. Additionally, physio Cliff Deacon and trainer Drakes Simon are expected to reach by the end of this week. Meanwhile, bowling coach Morne Morkel is anticipated to link up with the team in Sri Lanka.

Can Saud score at close to run a ball or can he score quickly enough at the end?
I think he can he showed in sri lanka test matches he can go after spinners plus we need someone in the middle who can dominate rashid and mujeeb.

Pakistan team have arrived at the airport to depart for Sri Lanka. The players who are flying from Lahore are: Abdullah Shafique, Tayyab Tahir, Salman Ali Agha, Saud Shakeel, M Wasim Jnr, Faheem Ashraf, M Rizwan, Haris Rauf and Shaheen Afridi

Shadab Khan will fly to Sri Lanka from Karachi

Usama Mir will join the team from the UK

The players participating in the LPL will join the team in Hambantota today

@Saj do you know if Sky Sports have renewed the rights to host Pakistan home matches on Sky Sports? Or will The Asia Cup be on the desi-channels again as it was last time!

Pakistan are having a practice session at Hambantota. The players had fielding and nets sessions.

All players, except M Haris, have joined the team.
1692444546066.png
1692444600157.png

1692444877280.png
1692445097783.png
1692445210875.png

Attachments

• 1692444667249.png
    1692444667249.png
    824.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
This is a wonderful opportunity prior the Asia Cup to practice on Sri Lanka’s notorious spin-friendly pitches! If Pakistan select appropriately, I think they can demolish Afghanistan in all 3 games.1692450229649.png

This means that Sri Lankan cricket fans have no interest in Pakistan vs India ODI matches. If these matches were held in the UAE, a lot more cricket fans would come to watch the match.

Wouldnt be surprised that even with empty stadiums Pak and Afg supporter will fight!

If games are on turning pitches, Afghans have an advantage.

I expect 2-1 result (either way).

Commentary Panel

F394c-oXsAApfz8

Pakistan practice ahead of the 1st ODI

utWAY3b.png

Does anybody know which channel in the UK will broadcast this series? So far nothing is confirmed for what channel it is!

The final phase of Pakistan’s preparations for the mighty cricket season begins tomorrow as Babar Azam’s team plays Afghanistan at Mahinda Rajapaksa International Cricket Stadium in the first of the three One-Day Internationals. Pakistan enter the series at the back of some brilliant results – they swept Sri Lanka in the two-Test series just last month and defeated New Zealand 4-1 at home in One-Day Internationals in April-May.

With the Men’s ODI Asia Cup 2023 beginning just four days after the third and final match in Colombo and the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup immediately following up, these three matches against Afghanistan come with an opportunity for Pakistan to fine-tune their combinations.

“It is great to be together as one unit again as we enjoy each other’s company a lot,” Babar told PCB Digital on the eve of the first ODI against Afghanistan. “We have a few new faces in the side and I wish them good luck for the challenges ahead. Most of the boys have been playing cricket in different leagues, but when you don the Pakistan star, it is a different feeling altogether. We enter this series with good momentum following our Test series win here and we are eager to build on it. As a captain, I am very excited for the cricket ahead.”

Pakistan have recently enjoyed outstanding results in ODIs. Since the start of 2022, Pakistan’s win/loss ratio of 3.250 - with 13 wins in 17 matches – has been the best across all teams. In May, they, for the first time in history, topped the ICC rankings for ODI sides. They have another go at surmounting the table if they maintain an impeccable record against Afghanistan.

The dressing room is buzzing with confidence with each player raring to grab opportunity whenever it arrives. Though the end goal is to be the best side in the World Cup, the team, Babar said, is taking one challenge at a time.

“We are focused in our preparations as we have big events in the Asia Cup and the World Cup coming up,” said Babar, under whose captaincy Pakistan have won 17 out of 26 ODIs. “But, at the same time, we want to take one series at the time … It is always beneficial for a team to get such a series ahead of major events. That we are playing in Asian conditions will definitely provide us an edge and help us get in the rhythm. The Afghanistan team is on the rise and they have some good bowlers. The fans will get to see some exciting cricket.”

Pakistan included all-rounder Faheem Ashraf, uncapped batter Tayyab Tahir and middle-order batter Saud Shakeel in the squad for the Afghanistan series. The three players have been rewarded for their impressive performances recently and their presence further boosts an already solid squad.

“We have had some good additions in the squad,” the number one ranked ODI batter said. “Faheem has been in and out of the side but he has performed well recently. We have included him because of his all-round abilities and believe that his presence will strengthen the side.

“Tayyab Tahir had a good [Emerging Teams] Asia Cup and he performed well here in Sri Lanka and everyone saw how Saud Shakeel played Tests here. I am especially impressed by how Saud has transformed into a modern-day batter in such a quick time. This is a great sign for Pakistan cricket that he groomed himself according to the demands of the team, and whenever anyone does that, I get very happy.”

Though Pakistan have never been defeated by Afghanistan in the format, this series promises to test them as the latter enter this series with a 2-1 win over Bangladesh in Bangladesh. But the players, Babar revealed, are taking this challenge as an opportunity to deliver match-winning performances.

“Every player has a hunger [to perform] in this team. Every player wants to give match-winning performances. Recently we have had different player of the match award winners, which is a good sign for any team. When you perform in big tournaments, it boosts your morale as a team and as individuals and this team has performed well in the recent past.

“The presence of Salman Ali Agha and Iftikhar Ahmed has bolstered our middle-order. We already have a settled top-order. Our spin department has strengthened. Thankfully, we have one of the best pace-bowling attacks in Shaheen Afridi, Haris Rauf and Naseem Shah, and their performances underscore how good they are. Bowlers win you big tournaments and I have faith in them to win us big tournaments.”

So ahead of what promises to be one of the most exciting periods for this Pakistan side, what is Babar’s message to his players? “My message has always been to believe in yourself and make sure that you give your hundred percent in the field.”

The second and third ODIs will be played on 24 and 26 August in Hambantota and Colombo.

Chairman PCB Management Committee, Zaka Ashraf, had a meeting with the Pakistan men’s cricket team before their first One-Day International against Afghanistan in Hambantota. On this occasion, Chairman Management Committee PCB addressed the team, stating, "I have great hope that with your efforts and hard work, Pakistan will win the Asia Cup. After securing victory, I am sure you will carry this momentum and confidence in the World Cup, bringing the World Cup trophy back home."

“This team under our great captain [Babar Azam] is performing really well. He has a talented team, and they are all performing in their respective roles. We have world-class batters and bowlers on the side. We have a good combination and I don’t find any reason why we should not win this trophy.”

He also stated that former cricketers from Pakistan and around the world were backing Pakistan as favourites for the Asia Cup because of their current form. He further told the players, "All of you are capable enough to beat. We have won the World Cup before and secured the Asia Cup twice. There is no reason to believe we cannot do it again. Show your best performance on the field. Best wishes are with you."

Pakistan will play a three-match ODI series against Afghanistan with the first match set to be played on 22 August. The series will conclude on 26 August before the team travels back to Pakistan to take play the opening match of the Asia Cup against Nepal on August 30.

Minimum strike rate should be atleast 90 when batting after the top 4.

What channel will this be broadcasted?
AFG vs PAK Broadcast and live streaming details

India: Eurosport; Fancode
Sri Lanka, Maldives, Nepal, Bangladesh: Eurosport
Australia: Fox Sports
USA: Willow TV
Afghanistan: RTA Sport
Pakistan: Tapmad TV; A Sports, PTV Sports
Canada: Willow TV

Yes, i think so. Our coach, Grant Bradburn says he will demand aggression from our players. Considering that we batted at about 5 an over in the test series against Sri Lanka, I expect some serious fireworks this series from our batsmen

They should maintain a positive mindset even from Top. They shouldn't be afraid to take calculated risks, especially when batting in the powerplay overs because it gives you momentum which other players can carry forward.

Yes, i think so. Our coach, Grant Bradburn says he will demand aggression from our players. Considering that we batted at about 5 an over in the test series against Sri Lanka, I expect some serious fireworks this series from our batsmen
Hopefully we do see some fireworks.

Exactly.. Cant imagine this was once owned by tuk-tuk Master who took the team to 1950s backward...
With scores of 250-270 being winning totals

I recon you need guys who know how to bat, build a partnership instead of hit and miss blokes in the middle.

I wouldn’t advocate for this if the World Cup wasn’t being played in conditions suitable to spinners

Back