Pakistan U19s (182/7) defeat Ireland U19s (181) by 3 wickets to win their first game of Super 6 stage in the ICC U19 World Cup

Convincing in the bowling department but not so convincing in the batting department.

Good experience and exposure for the youngsters out there but they need to show persistence, composure and awareness to be dealing with run chase pressure.

India on the other hand look the strongest to win the WC, IMO.

Final Scores

Pakistan U19 182/7 (43.4 overs)
Ireland U19 181 All Out

Pak U19 defeat Ireland U19 by 3 wickets.

Really poor keeping from Saad today.
I noticed that he doesn't crouch down at all for fast bowlers. He should assume the Z-position, start low, and rise with the bounce.

He tends to just stand in the athletic position. He needs to work on this.

Pakistan defeated Ireland by three wickets in Potchefstroom

Toss: Pakistan won the toss and elected to field

Disciplined work from Pakistan bowlers meant that Ireland crept at a run rate of one for the first five overs. This pressure yielded a wicket, as Ubaid Shah had Jordan Neill caught off his bowling. The batter tried to pull but the ball reached him earlier than he had anticipated, and a top edge went straight to Ubaid.

Ireland's innings lost its balance in the first half of the second Powerplay. They lost five wickets for merely 50 runs. All of the batters fell while trying to seize the initiative away from Pakistan. Ali Raza, Ahmad Hassan and Amir Hassan picked a wicket apiece, while Ubaid had a second breakthrough in the 24th over.

Ireland had their first proper partnership of the game when John McNally and Harry Dyer came together for the seventh wicket. By the time Dyer perished to Haroon Arshad in the 37th over, the duo had put together 65 runs, which was two more than the effort of first six wickets combined. Ireland were still far away from a fighting total and needed a late push.

Despite McNally's fighting 53, Ireland couldn't up the ante in the last Powerplay. They were bowled out by the 49th over. Ubaid was once again Pakistan's star with 3/31.

Pakistan openers were off to a characteristic positive start going at about five an over before Reuben Wilson struck. The pacer had the big scalp of Shahzaib Khan, Pakistan's leading run-scorer in the tournament when the batter tried to cut the ball but edged one to slip. Ollie Riley got the other opener in the next over. Shamyl Hossain mistimed a pull and ended up lofting the ball in the air, straight back to the keeper.

Azan Awais and Saad Baig began a reconstruction job. The duo moved the chase ahead without taking too many risks. They hit merely five fours between them during their stay at the crease. Awais's vigilance was broken when he missed one from Dryer, and was trapped leg before.

Dryer struck again in the form of Saad Baig's wicket to leave Pakistan four down for 78. Ubaid Shah was promoted up the order and sent in to partner Ahmad Hassan. The experiment didn't work as Ubaid fell for eight. Ahmad Hassan and Haroon Arshad fought back with a solid sixth wicket stand. They added 63 runs from 75 balls to bring Pakistan on the brink of a win. Despite losing Arshad at 159, Pakistan managed to cross the line by the 44th over.

Source: ICC

On the plus side, it is very important to keep winning, and to keep discovering new heroes. 5 batters have scored fifties and we need to keep that up. It is common knowledge that the 2 best batters are the openers. We cannot keep relying on them to score the biggest chunk of runs. Wins like today are important so that the middle/lower order is tested.

Good to see lower order getting some runs.
Ireland shouldn't have got to the score they got.

Ahmed Hassan brilliant half century saved us today. Although we would have bottled it too.

I know everyone wants these U19 to dominate match after match but this is what happens when you have teenagers. Sometimes they're up & downs and I think its actually good to see the middle & lower order carry the team in a chase when the top order collapsed. it also gave guys in the middle & lower order a lot of balls to work with so they can continue to get familiar with the conditions and be more prepared in case a top order collapse occurs again.

You don't want to go into the knockout stages with the lower order having barely played. Only knock would be Minhas batting not performing quite up to the mark. Struggling a bit right now but I hope he figures it out for rest of the tournament.

I know everyone wants these U19 to dominate match after match but this is what happens when you have teenagers. Sometimes they're up & downs and I think its actually good to see the middle & lower order carry the team in a chase when the top order collapsed. it also gave guys in the middle & lower order a lot of balls to work with so they can continue to get familiar with the conditions and be more prepared in case a top order collapse occurs again.

You don't want to go into the knockout stages with the lower order having barely played. Only knock would be Minhas batting not performing quite up to the mark. Struggling a bit right now but I hope he figures it out for rest of the tournament.
Agreed. Musheer is in such red hot form that once he fails India will be in a pickle.

Ahmed Hasan batting is as good as all the other batsmen in our lineup and his bowling is good too for a defensive seamer.

Indian U19 team looks average at best.

Pakistan and Australia have the strongest teams in the tournament.
Well, calling it 'average' is a bit of a stretch.

Winning by 200+ runs is quite a feat. Doing it 3 times in a row is very impressive. I was just saying they have become overly dependent on 1-2 players and haven't had to struggle.

Pak has two bad performance against minnows , time for the team to hit peak and destroy the competition , Riazullah is a must in remaining games as provides some stability to the middle order and Minhas need to sort out his issues and starts scoring again.

Amir Hassan will get slaughtered by better teams if he opens the bowling and in death overs too , Ali Raza must play instead of him

Pak has two bad performance against minnows , time for the team to hit peak and destroy the competition , Riazullah is a must in remaining games as provides some stability to the middle order and Minhas need to sort out his issues and starts scoring again.
We have to many bowling options need to drop Ali asfand and get Riazullah in. I have no idea why he hasn't played a game after the Afghanistan game where he looked good.

I am impressed with Ahmad Hasan batting against spin. Looks quite assured need to see more of him against pace. If he's good against it then we have a solid player on our hands. He needs to realise he has potential to be a genuine all rounder and needs to concentrate on bowling too.

It was a pretty nervy chase again. First against Nepal and now against Ireland. A win is a win but still, there is always something to learn from these situations.

I am impressed with Ahmad Hasan batting against spin. Looks quite assured need to see more of him against pace. If he's good against it then we have a solid player on our hands. He needs to realise he has potential to be a genuine all rounder and needs to concentrate on bowling too.
He’s a good talent and is aware of his limitations and mentally he is very mature for his age , such players more often than not succeeds at big stage. Need to improve his bowling a lot though in next few years

He’s a good talent and is aware of his limitations and mentally he is very mature for his age , such players more often than not succeeds at big stage. Need to improve his bowling a lot though in next few years
It was a pretty nervy chase again. First against Nepal and now against Ireland. A win is a win but still, there is always something to learn from these situations.
A win is a win. Let’s reset and keep it going.

Back