PCB appoint Aleem Dar, Aaqib Javed, Asad Shafiq, Azhar Ali and Hasan Cheema as voting members of Selection Committee

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
The Pakistan Cricket Board has confirmed recomposition of the men’s national selection committee. It now includes Aleem Dar, Aaqib Javed, Asad Shafiq, Azhar Ali and Hasan Cheema as voting members.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait isn't Aaqib Javed coaching Sri Lanka? Isn't that a conflict of interest ?

Also why do you need an umpire in the selection committee ?

Very poor decision making

Aqib said in his interview that the way he does his thing is by going and living in the setting he is expected to work for. He bought a house in Sri Lanka and then got in touch with all the bowlers in their domestic circuit, from schools to u16s, to domestic sides etc.

He was proud of encouraging Sri Lanka to go with 4 seamers instead of depending too much on spin (which he felt is their natural inclination).

I like Aqib, I think he’s a good man who works hard with the right intentions. Sometimes his decisions look farcical but hey, that’s cricket! Ricky Ponting went out of the norm and picked Asif Ali for the big bash, these are decisions that do not reflect well at times for the greatness of a cricketer or coach, but it’s part of the game.

That is why Aleem retired from Umpiring as he was eyeing a big role in PCB. Now he will select players and leave everything on qudrat ka nizam and no one can question him as he is a very holy outlook person.

I am willing to bank on Aleem as long as he's not favouring anyone. He comes across as a decent character.
Not sure about others in the mix.
The bigger problem is lack of quality modern-day international level players.

Committees

Men's National Selection Committee

Members

Aleem Dar
Aqib Javed
Asad Shafiq
Azhar Ali
Hassan Cheema
Captain
Head Coach

Ex-Officio Members (non-voting)

Azhar Mahmood (Assistant coach)
Bilal Afzal (Advisor to Chairman)
Nadeem Khan (Director – High Performance)
Usman Wahla (Director – International Cricket)

Women's National Selection Committee

Asad Shafiq (member)
Batool Fatima (member)
Captain (member)
Head Coach (member)

Umpires follows a bowler and batter closely,their technique. And Aleem Dar was a fantastic bowler. I saw a video of him bowling.

Members of the men's national selection committee met at the NCA on Friday afternoon. They will travel to Multan on Saturday to meet the head curator, captain and head coach, after which they will finalise the squad for the second Test.

CN6pm4c.png

Members of the men's national selection committee met at the NCA on Friday afternoon. They will travel to Multan on Saturday to meet the head curator, captain and head coach, after which they will finalise the squad for the second Test.

CN6pm4c.png
The guy in the yellow shirt is one from the Dosti Yaari nexus

More selectors who use to play test cricket with the current test squad is just what we want
There's no more wasim khan's out there so this is what we are stuck with

What a waste of bureaucracy

Aqib said in his interview that the way he does his thing is by going and living in the setting he is expected to work for. He bought a house in Sri Lanka and then got in touch with all the bowlers in their domestic circuit, from schools to u16s, to domestic sides etc.

He was proud of encouraging Sri Lanka to go with 4 seamers instead of depending too much on spin (which he felt is their natural inclination).

I like Aqib, I think he’s a good man who works hard with the right intentions. Sometimes his decisions look farcical but hey, that’s cricket! Ricky Ponting went out of the norm and picked Asif Ali for the big bash, these are decisions that do not reflect well at times for the greatness of a cricketer or coach, but it’s part of the game.
Aqib has done a fine job with Lahore Qalandars as well. Almost all the fastest bowlers in Pakistan in the last 5-7 years are because of Lahore Qalandars. Or at least they supported the players.

Now again with Sri Lanka. Their pacers are showing good glimpses. Won their team a Test match against England as well.

Of course some people may not bond well with him but that happens with everyone.

Committees

Members

Aleem Dar
Aqib Javed
Asad Shafiq
Azhar Ali
Hassan Cheema
Captain
Head Coach

Asad Shafiq (member)
Batool Fatima (member)
Captain (member)
Head Coach (member)
What a farce.

An umpire in selection committee.

Bilal Afzal a parchi first hired as data guy is now also advisor to Chairman!?

Nadeem Khan? Okay maybe because he was Cricketer and is experienced guy.

Usman Wahla? Why is he involved in this? Already Fakhar blasted and exposed him of his incompetence.

Committees

Members

Aleem Dar
Aqib Javed
Asad Shafiq
Azhar Ali
Hassan Cheema
Captain
Head Coach

Asad Shafiq (member)
Batool Fatima (member)
Captain (member)
Head Coach (member)

Can someone tell Naqvi that you don't need 11 people for selection. if you count members an non-voting its 11. never have i seen such a committee before. seems like a bigger biryaani party than ever.

So apparently now the coach and captain will not be allowed to force select players. They can only recommend.

I mean, what exactly was happening before?

So apparently now the coach and captain will not be allowed to force select players. They can only recommend.

I mean, what exactly was happening before?
Selector: Okay so this is the team we are selecting.

Babar: No

Selector: What's wrong with what we chose?

Babar: It's missing rizwan 🫠

Why can't we get foreign administrators to run the PCB?

Surely they cannot do worse.

The Misbah Director of cricket was the way forward- just the wrong man. One guy to select the team, one guy to take responsibility for all of it. These roles are a waste of time

Hassan Cheema?
Yep,

Him, the guy at IU and Haider Azhar need to be avoided at all costs if you want Pakistan cricket to progress. They have an extremely poor understanding of white ball cricket for sure.

They are good 2 to 3 selectors short. Bit unfair that Naqvi sanctioned only 11 selectors to select a cricket squad of 14-15 players. Tough days ahead for these selectors.
:inti

The Pakistan Cricket Board has confirmed recomposition of the men’s national selection committee. It now includes Aleem Dar, Aqib Javed, Asad Shafiq, Azhar Ali and Hasan Cheema as voting members.
Asad Shafiq. Mediocrity will bring in more mediocrity. Surprised Faisal Shah didn't make it to the selection committee, I mean he tried to so hard, gushing over Shan Masood.

The Misbah Director of cricket was the way forward- just the wrong man. One guy to select the team, one guy to take responsibility for all of it. These roles are a waste of time
Misbah destroyed Pakistan cricket so his son can come into the international side

Hassan Cheema is the only bonafide data analyst in pakistan. You are mistaking him for Bilala Afzal, who was a dosti yaari nexus guy.
Bro trust me I know my instincts with these guys. Hassan Cheema was sitting with Zainab or someone hosting the PSL9 draft. This was after he had parted ways with IU and was working with PCB at the time (I can’t remember in what capacity). I was listening to his views and the kind of players he was expecting to be picked during the draft…I knew for sure at the time that this guy is made of the same cloth as the ‘educated dramey’ you will find such as Haider Azhar. I know for sure I kept telling my guy @topspin about how this guy Haider will totally take KK 10 back into 2005 with his mindset and analytical approach.

These are the type of people who will see Haseebullah as a potential Travis Head….or Abdul Samad as Tim David. You will see it.

Why should the Data analyst hold a voting right on selection?

You’ve already seen how data used for vested interests can destroy your cricket…

What if a selector wants Fakhar Zaman as an opener, but then the Data analyst has some Misbahfied data that suggests Fakhar is a better number 4 and Rizwan is a better opener? How can such a person hold a voting right?

What the hell is aleem dar becoming a selector. I mean never seen any umpire to hold that type of positions. Maybe he has good connections in PCB

Pakistan cricket has declined to such a level that Westindies and Bangladesh appear way better than them
Worse is to happen as they may demoted associate level
Going Hockey way

Bro trust me I know my instincts with these guys. Hassan Cheema was sitting with Zainab or someone hosting the PSL9 draft. This was after he had parted ways with IU and was working with PCB at the time (I can’t remember in what capacity). I was listening to his views and the kind of players he was expecting to be picked during the draft…I knew for sure at the time that this guy is made of the same cloth as the ‘educated dramey’ you will find such as Haider Azhar. I know for sure I kept telling my guy @topspin about how this guy Haider will totally take KK 10 back into 2005 with his mindset and analytical approach.

These are the type of people who will see Haseebullah as a potential Travis Head….or Abdul Samad as Tim David. You will see it.

Yes I remember looking at Haider Azhar tweets. You can smell the Misbah-ism from a mile away.

Yep,

Him, the guy at IU and Haider Azhar need to be avoided at all costs if you want Pakistan cricket to progress. They have an extremely poor understanding of white ball cricket for sure.
Why? Because he led IU to three title wins? Yeah I guess that makes him a failure for sure.

Are you saying this with your IK/PTI hat on? - since we all know IK got MA replaced by Misbah after the 2019 WC.

Or

Are you saying this because you genuinely think Misbah would make a good director of cricket?

Either way, no one has done more damage to Pakistan cricket than he has over the last 15 years.

Is Aqib Javed going to do a complete 360 like Yousuf too and suddenly stop being toxic now that he is involved in the system?

Yousuf used to talk alot of trash about Misbah back in the day. Then he had to swallow his pride and work under Misbah for the almighty rupee.

PAK ex-cricketers are a truly shameless bunch. They'll do anything to get attention, make money and stay relevant.

Let's see how good is Aqib now, also we shall get to know whether it was Sanath or Aqib who brought the SLC out of infamy.

Why? Because he led IU to three title wins? Yeah I guess that makes him a failure for sure.
Firstly, it’s not 3 wins…he wasn’t part of IU in their last campaign, that was Rehan ul Haq (another nerd), also I don’t think he was part of their first win campaign…I can’t be sure though.

Secondly, since when does being a data analyst for PSL and being ok at it mean anything for Pakistan? Which Pakistan cricketers were developed as good for international cricket through his data analytics? He can be useful in picking up overseas players with his expertise but what good is that for Pakistan…that’s who he has to deal with now?

How do you know all of this? Haider azhar did wonders with multan sultans. These are real data anlysts, you want excel and power points experts like Babloo Niaz's friend in the role of data analyst?

Are you saying this with your IK/PTI hat on? - since we all know IK got MA replaced by Misbah after the 2019 WC.

Or

Are you saying this because you genuinely think Misbah would make a good director of cricket?

Either way, no one has done more damage to Pakistan cricket than he has over the last 15 years.
You misunderstood but that is unsurprising. Read and comprehend. I said we need a Director of Cricket as puts one man in charge and take responsibility but Misbah was the wrong man.

Firstly, it’s not 3 wins…he wasn’t part of IU in their last campaign, that was Rehan ul Haq (another nerd), also I don’t think he was part of their first win campaign…I can’t be sure though.

Secondly, since when does being a data analyst for PSL and being ok at it mean anything for Pakistan? Which Pakistan cricketers were developed as good for international cricket through his data analytics? He can be useful in picking up overseas players with his expertise but what good is that for Pakistan…that’s who he has to deal with now?
Yes, matches are ultimately won on confidence, instincts, skill and mental toughness. But that doesn't mean that data doesn't enhance your understanding of it or give you a deeper understanding of your opponents and their strengths and weaknesses. And if you have the right players in your side, you naturally have a higher probability of succeeding. Data is already playing an outsized role in cricket so for anyone to deny its importance is frankly, quite dumb. As for Hassan Cheema, I have been reading him for years and he seems to understand cricket much better than many of our greedy, attention-seeking ex-players who have been gate-keeping these job roles for years.

Players and their techniques is better visible from 22 yards as most other selectors sit 70-80 meters away in the stands, so Aleem Dar as a selector is a good choice.

Players and their techniques is better visible from 22 yards as most other selectors sit 70-80 meters away in the stands, so Aleem Dar as a selector is a good choice.
Why not have players themselves be selectors then? They also watch the other batter from non striker end. In fact they also see opposition players like Joe Root's technique of hitting a 250.

Yes, matches are ultimately won on confidence, instincts, skill and mental toughness. But that doesn't mean that data doesn't enhance your understanding of it or give you a deeper understanding of your opponents and their strengths and weaknesses. And if you have the right players in your side, you naturally have a higher probability of succeeding. Data is already playing an outsized role in cricket so for anyone to deny its importance is frankly, quite dumb. As for Hassan Cheema, I have been reading him for years and he seems to understand cricket much better than many of our greedy, attention-seeking ex-players who have been gate-keeping these job roles for years.
It was data was it not that lead to Rizwan opening and Fakhar at 4?

How has that worked out for Pakistan?? Where did I say data doesn’t matter at all.

Besides, you made the claim Hassan was part of 3 title wins for IU. That’s Absolutely incorrect! He was released last year, and before that IU were falling short on 3rd/4th position.

I ask you again, what development has Hassan Cheema done with IU for Pakistan cricket?

Shadab khan at 4??
Faheem Ashraf at 6??
Asif Ali the finisher (who you all love to remind me about to take digs at me)??
Azam Khan at 5???

What is Hassan Cheema’s significant contribution and how will that replicate in Pakistan cricket?

You misunderstood but that is unsurprising. Read and comprehend. I said we need a Director of Cricket as puts one man in charge and take responsibility but Misbah was the wrong man.
Okay, Please can you kindly explain what this means because you're not making any sense.

The Misbah Director of cricket was the way forward- just the wrong man

The statement is contradictory.

The reasoning given to justify Aleem Dars appointment is that we need someone on the selection committee who has seen all the domestic players inside out

The reasoning given to justify Aleem Dars appointment is that we need someone on the selection committee who has seen all the domestic players inside out
I guess that just proves there is no one scouting domestic cricket. Also, umpires aren’t scouting players when they’re umpiring.. the role requires extreme concentration and keeping your eyes on specific points of view so you can make the correct call. But I digress, trying to find logic in the PCB’s justification is a fool’s errand.

I guess that just proves there is no one scouting domestic cricket. Also, umpires aren’t scouting players when they’re umpiring.. the role requires extreme concentration and keeping your eyes on specific points of view so you can make the correct call. But I digress, trying to find logic in the PCB’s justification is a fool’s errand.

YEa. it is weird how umpires can become selectors.

Biggest joke in cricket after WW2 . An umpire with very limited experience of FC cricket , as a player will select test players. Yasir Arafat was right , PCB is being run by some jokers.

oh man this is just sad. Appointments and changes after changes.

I know aleem dar will have to earn his salary after retirement, but by taking on the selectors role, that can destroy his legacy.

My issue isnt with him being a selector, its just that how ones legacy gets affected by holding important roles in PCB

Oh man, so a series with Sri lanka, what would Aqib do in that case? Select players that will stregthen the Pakistani team, or go for bad players.

The facebook media pages are gonna have fun when we have a series with the Lankans

Rather in selection committee these guys should be in ground, Asad and Azhar in middle order and Dar as umpire to make things happen

Okay, Please can you kindly explain what this means because you're not making any sense.

The statement is contradictory.
The role of Director of cricket was and is the right way forward but unfortunately, Misbah wasn't the right man. He is more suited to the admin role like Director of operations not Director of cricket

Back