PCB needs to arrange a minimum of 12-15 ODIs and 8-10 Test matches annually against strong teams

Savak

Test Captain
Runs
Post of the Week
One of the biggest reasons for our shocking lack of preparation in this ODI WC in 2019 is the massive amounts of T-20 cricket our players have played for Pakistan and the various T-20 leagues the players have played around the world in the last 3-4 years.

In the last 3-4 years, India has played 54 ODI's mostly against strong teams. When India has played strong teams or B/C teams, minnows they have frequently rested their senior players and given chances to all of their fringe players from the IPL and on the bench.

In comparison Pakistan has played around 25 ODIs in comparison and 95% of the games have either been against minnows i.e. Zimbabwe, West Indies, Sri Lanka or against the C/D teams of England, Australia, New Zealand. The team has lost most of the games played against the A team of New Zealand, India.

It is shocking to see the likes of Nawaz, Shadab completely forgetting how to bowl 10 overs with discipline and control. The PCB is to blame for not making our players battle hardened, the selectors have got to start resting Babar, Rizwan, Shaheen against minnows and even the C, D teams of the Big 5.

Lessons for the PCB going forward after this ODI WC is over.

One of the biggest reasons for our shocking lack of preparation in this ODI WC in 2019 is the massive amounts of T-20 cricket our players have played for Pakistan and the various T-20 leagues the players have played around the world in the last 3-4 years.

In the last 3-4 years, India has played 54 ODI's mostly against strong teams. When India has played strong teams or B/C teams, minnows they have frequently rested their senior players and given chances to all of their fringe players from the IPL and on the bench.

In comparison Pakistan has played around 25 ODIs in comparison and 95% of the games have either been against minnows i.e. Zimbabwe, West Indies, Sri Lanka or against the C/D teams of England, Australia, New Zealand. The team has lost most of the games played against the A team of New Zealand, India.

It is shocking to see the likes of Nawaz, Shadab completely forgetting how to bowl 10 overs with discipline and control. The PCB is to blame for not making our players battle hardened, the selectors have got to start resting Babar, Rizwan, Shaheen against minnows and even the C, D teams of the Big 5.

PCB values rankings in LOI, both team and player rankings.

PCB has a Director Marketing, COO and blah blah do they have any target or plan,

I agree. Pakistan team should play more ODI and Test crciket rather then focusing on the t20 format. Pakistan team's schedule is lacking odi and test matches. India and other team are playing almost twice the matches then Pakistan. Pcb seriously needs to take notice of this stuff.

PCB will have to spend out of pocket to arrange this.

Honestly the stronger teams aren’t dying to play with Pakistan so the PCB for the last many years has been managing whatever they can get their hands on and it’s not wrong at all. What they’re not doing effectively is rotation. No point of playing Babar, Rizwan in all such matches only allowing them to boost their averages when it could be an opportunity for young players to get some exposure

Playing against minnows this Pakistan team has reached a point where they are struggling to compete against any quality bowlers.

If you look at the FTP till 2027, we have the same amount or more ODIs and t20s than Australia, England, South Africa, New Zealand

Thing is, PCB can arrange but then those teams choose to field B/C teams whenever Pakistan visits or they visit Pakistan

What is the PCB supposed to do in such a situation? Very easy for you to post here but very difficult to implement

Honestly the stronger teams aren’t dying to play with Pakistan so the PCB for the last many years has been managing whatever they can get their hands on and it’s not wrong at all. What they’re not doing effectively is rotation. No point of playing Babar, Rizwan in all such matches only allowing them to boost their averages when it could be an opportunity for young players to get some exposure

The PCB will have to pay the Top 4-5 boards money in exchange for sending their B, C teams to Pakistan for a 5 match ODI series. If they agree to play then the PCB should select our fringe, bench players for these games. Other than that the PCB has to invest massively in U-19, A team tours to places like England, Australia, South Africa, New Zealand or to invite their teams to Pakistan. Only way to build bench strength and to give a chance to our top domestic players.

If you look at the FTP till 2027, we have the same amount or more ODIs and t20s than Australia, England, South Africa, New Zealand

Thing is, PCB can arrange but then those teams choose to field B/C teams whenever Pakistan visits or they visit Pakistan

What is the PCB supposed to do in such a situation? Very easy for you to post here but very difficult to implement

If that is the case then the PCB needs to field our bench players for these games like India, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa do

The other step the PCB needs to take is to only agree to issue NOC's to players provided they participate in the 4 day domestic cricket tournaments in Pakistan every year.

If that is the case then the PCB needs to field our bench players for these games like India, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa do
Our broadcast who pays PCB good money for rights to televise HOME matches won't be happy with that

As far as away matches are concerned, for example we are playing away in England. The rights to televise that series in Pakistan would be baught at a lower cost by OUR broadcaster if we field bench strength. So broadcaster would push PCB to field strong team.

See, us not playing India bilaterally is COSTING US HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS. other boards are not losing that money. It's a miracle that our board and team is doing so well generally

Our broadcast who pays PCB good money for rights to televise HOME matches won't be happy with that

As far as away matches are concerned, for example we are playing away in England. The rights to televise that series in Pakistan would be baught at a lower cost by OUR broadcaster if we field bench strength. So broadcaster would push PCB to field strong team.

See, us not playing India bilaterally is COSTING US HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS. other boards are not losing that money. It's a miracle that our board and team is doing so well generally

Najam Sethi did take the decision to rest Babar, Rizwan, Shaheen for the Afghanistan series. Pakistan in the past also played a C team against Australia in UAE in 2019. It's not like these things can't be done.

The PCB and the selectors will have to be brave enough to embrace the backlash from the fans, media if the results are not favorable but going forward the team needs to learn from India on how to build a solid eleven and then a solid, ready additional 7-8 players who can step in any time someone is injured or out of form.

Najam Sethi did take the decision to rest Babar, Rizwan, Shaheen for the Afghanistan series. Pakistan in the past also played a C team against Australia in UAE in 2019. It's not like these things can't be done.

The PCB and the selectors will have to be brave enough to embrace the backlash from the fans, media if the results are not favorable but going forward the team needs to learn from India on how to build a solid eleven and then a solid, ready additional 7-8 players who can step in any time someone is injured or out of form.
That's a meaningless exercise

Sanju Samson, Tilak Verma, Jaiswal, Washington Sundar, Arshdeep all did really well but what's the point if you are not going to play them come the WC

but I totally agree with you, us not playing top sides and Imam, Shadab, Nawaz not getting exposed is COSTING us big time now.
But they were doing well in bilaterals before the WC, so I dont know a REALISTIC solution on how this problem can be countered in the future

That's a meaningless exercise

Sanju Samson, Tilak Verma, Jaiswal, Washington Sundar, Arshdeep all did really well but what's the point if you are not going to play them come the WC

but I totally agree with you, us not playing top sides and Imam, Shadab, Nawaz not getting exposed is COSTING us big time now.
But they were doing well in bilaterals before the WC, so I dont know a REALISTIC solution on how this problem can be countered in the future

Atleast the likes of Sanju, Verma, Jaiswal, Sundar, Arshdeep will be ready to step in and fully confident in case they are needed if someone is injured.

Right now we have been carrying Mohd Wasim Jr for the last 2 years and the team management is not ready to play him.

There is no replacement for Fakhar Zaman who got a golden run because he was the only aggressive opener in the country.

The way the BCCI built their ODI team is the right way to go. They are building their future. It may not be a practical approach to rest all the senior players in the entire series but what the selectors can do is rest them for 3 games out of 5 games atleast.

Atleast the likes of Sanju, Verma, Jaiswal, Sundar, Arshdeep will be ready to step in and fully confident in case they are needed if someone is injured.

Right now we have been carrying Mohd Wasim Jr for the last 2 years and the team management is not ready to play him.

There is no replacement for Fakhar Zaman who got a golden run because he was the only aggressive opener in the country.

The way the BCCI built their ODI team is the right way to go. They are building their future. It may not be a practical approach to rest all the senior players in the entire series but what the selectors can do is rest them for 3 games out of 5 games atleast.
For that, the players have to be ASSURED that they will eventually play and not get dropped. If they are rested.

Take Abid Ali's example, was part of the test team, has an average of 49. Got a medical condition and so was rested.

Imam took his place, scored runs on highways, now Abid is back playing but is nowhere near the test team lol

Babar and Shaheen are the only certainties in the team. If Babar rests, the other captain does well, our toxic fans and media would then want Babar to be replaced as captain. So he doesn't rest and takes up a spot.

We need a long-term COACH for what you want to be implemented. Amir had clearly told Mickey that he would quit test cricket, mickey agreed.

Mickey was removed, Waqar and Misbah came in, we got whitewashed in Australia in the test series and both pathetic human beings put the blame on Amir for retiring from test cricket at 29 and leaving the team handicapped. And dropped Amir from white ball as well.

You need long term coaches so players can be assured of their place. Here a new chairman also brings with him a new coaching staff, idk bro, the country is in a mess and soon this will hit our cricket as well. Eventually we will go down the West Indies route, it's just a matter of when

It’s not going to happen due to finances.

After this tournament, ODIs will be dead, T20 series will he meaningless. Players will play T20 leagues to make tremendous amounts of money and then there will be the off Test series which he will played for honor. That’s it.

Some say ODIS will be dead after the World Cup. I think it is already on its way. What a boring and pointless format. I will be more than happy if Pakistan never play an ODI ever again. I said the same thing many times here on the forums only to see people still hype up the ever dwindling importance.

It is not about playing strong teams. For example India always sends B teams to SL, WI, BD etc while the main players only play against Australia, SA, ENG and NZ. Even against these teams they might experiment if it is at home. Same goes for other big teams as well.

Test cricket is not profitable except for ind aus eng. Pak and other countries should focus more on T20s. Little bit odis but focus on t20s as it's the future whether we like it or not. That way they can focus on only 1 format and also be profitable.

I wouldn't even bother with these lot
Best to focus on under 19's and organise tours for them and prepare them for the future

The minute the WC is done the PCB will be organising 5 match t20 series against anyone who will play us.

B teams, C teams and Zimbabwe all welcome.

The other step the PCB needs to take is to only agree to issue NOC's to players provided they participate in the 4 day domestic cricket tournaments in Pakistan every year.
This I agree with wholeheartedly.

Saim Ayub and Mohammad Haris should be grafting in domestics.

Not playing CPL, LPL, BPL or any other low budget league. That’s partly how we ruined Haider and why Azam Khan is choosing to stay obese.

Yes, it will be good to play against the quality opposition but not everything is in PCB hands. ICC makes Future Tours Programme that suggest the number of tours and events ICC members will be playing in the next few years.

I agree with you on tests. I would prefer if we never play the outdated and boring 50 over version ever again.

PCB needs to arrange tests and T20s against top teams and play c or d level players if they have to play odis.

Enough with these odis.

Nobody has time to play boring ODIs against Pakistan. The team offers no real challenge to them.

If I were a top flight SENA+ INDIA cricketer, I would rather play cricket in my own domestic cricket match rather than play Pakistan

Pakistan has to start regularly playing the best sides in their home conditions, whatever it costs.

We've wasted so much trying to host series in Pak. Entire cities shut down because we're scared of suicide bombers and opposition never sends their 1st XI either.

Nobody really wants to play Pakistan. They definitely don’t want to visit. It’s just not a marketable team. If Pakistan could just improve their whole domestic set up and lift the standard perhaps with a few decent players it might be worthwhile but at the moment the whole cricketing structure is flawed. Stop looking for easy fixes. The whole set up is broke.

Nobody really wants to play Pakistan. They definitely don’t want to visit. It’s just not a marketable team. If Pakistan could just improve their whole domestic set up and lift the standard perhaps with a few decent players it might be worthwhile but at the moment the whole cricketing structure is flawed. Stop looking for easy fixes. The whole set up is broke.
No body is going to want to play any ODIs after the World Cup. Just look at the team schedules, the format is dead and if anything this tournament confirms it’s death. No close games and dead crowds in the country where cricket is most popular. The next 10 years are gonna be T20s with the occasional important test series.

No body is going to want to play any ODIs after the World Cup. Just look at the team schedules, the format is dead and if anything this tournament confirms it’s death. No close games and dead crowds in the country where cricket is most popular. The next 10 years are gonna be T20s with the occasional important test series.
I’m not sure this is true. Of course there was a sparse crowd for Pakistan games and even Afghanistan didn’t have much support but the format is alive and kicking in England and Australia.

It is definitely true that there are a few meaningless bilaterals. However the decision of Bcci to control the icc and hence the money is certainly spoiling the format for everybody. Sure people are now sick of India-Australia-England matches. If we get to a meaningful and more egalitarian approach to cricket it will easily have some appeal. The fact is Pakistan themselves have stopped pushing for their own odi format to improve.

I’m not sure this is true. Of course there was a sparse crowd for Pakistan games and even Afghanistan didn’t have much support but the format is alive and kicking in England and Australia.

It is definitely true that there are a few meaningless bilaterals. However the decision of Bcci to control the icc and hence the money is certainly spoiling the format for everybody. Sure people are now sick of India-Australia-England matches. If we get to a meaningful and more egalitarian approach to cricket it will easily have some appeal. The fact is Pakistan themselves have stopped pushing for their own odi format to improve.
Completely agree, it’s partially because the big 3 mostly play important series against each other that the format has stalled a bit. Look at how seriously they treat the format though - Ben Stokes literally retired from ODIs just to come back like a month before for the tournament. Quinton de Kock is having an amazing tournament and he’s retiring at the end of it to of play T20 league cricket. People are giving up on the format and it’s mainly the financial incentives that brought us here. I mean, AB De Villiers said we should switch to a 9 month IPL season 😂

T20 series are just way cheaper and easier to organize and get more viewers. And if I’m being honest, I hate it, I don’t care for the T20 format at all.

What good will it do to schedule matches with bigger teams when you don't give opportunities to talent and prioritize friendships instead?

Roti Gang will get selected again!

Back