PCB terms reports regarding denial of NOCs as baseless, factually inaccurate and speculative

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
PCB terms ESPNCricinfo story as baseless, factually inaccurate and speculative

Lahore, 3 August 2022:

The Pakistan Cricket Board has dismissed the ESPNCricinfo story under the headline PCB to deny NOC to Pakistani players for BBL; no clarity on ILT20 or CSA league, terming it baseless, factually inaccurate and speculative.

The PCB said ESPNCricinfo contacted it on Tuesday, 2 August, at 1120, requesting for responses latest by 1400 on the same day. ESPNCricinfo was informed at 1130 that the PCB will revert by the close of business on Wednesday, 3 August. It was, therefore, astonishing that ESPNCricinfo published the inaccurate story as is, without verifying the actual facts or incorporating PCB comments.

The PCB then contacted ESPNCricinfo and not only provided them the background but also supplied the actual facts. Sadly, ESPNCricinfo to date has neither removed nor updated its story, and continues to state at the end of their copy: The PCB has been approached for comment.

True state of affairs are as follows:

1. The PCB received first list of players for the BBL Draft on 16 July. Following exchanges and discussions, the final PCB response went to the Player Agent on 26 July in which it was clarified that player NOCs will be discussed and issued in due course after considering a number of factors, including player workload and domestic/international commitments

2. The PCB received a second list of players on 2 August. This is presently being reviewed and a response will be provided in due course

3. In July, the PCB had received requests for two centrally contracted players for the ILT20. On 26 July, the PCB had informed the Player Agent that the NOC approval was subject to the two players’ workload and participation in the international series against New Zealand and the West Indies, which overlap with ILT20

4. In the backdrop of the above three points, the PCB is yet to consider the matter of issuing NOCs to the players. At present, it is reviewing requests for releasing player names for BBL and ILT20 Drafts. Issuing NOCs is the second phase of the process

5. The PCB is yet to receive any request from the CSA for its league, which is also contrary to what ESPNCricinfo has incorrectly reported

6. The PCB NOC Guidelines allow players to apply for a maximum of three NOCs per year, excluding the PSL and NOT PSL plus one as incorrectly reported by ESPNCricinfo. The PCB has always been flexible in issuing additional NOCs as long as these did not coincide with its international series or domestic competitions

7. Contrary to the ESPNCricinfo claim, which says: “Players have asked the board for copies of the contracts in order to first run them past a set of legal eyes before they decide on signing”, the PCB confirms no player has made any such requests

8. The central contracts for the 2022-23 season were announced on 30 June, five days before the side’s departure for Sri Lanka. The side returned on 29 July and the players then dispersed. When the players will reassemble in Lahore on 5 August for a training camp, they will be provided copies of the central contacts, which is the usual process

9. ESPNCricinfo is also incorrect in reporting there was no discussion and consultation prior to finalising the terms of the central contract for the 2022-23 season. As always, a consultation and discussion process took place this year as well

10. Furthermore and contrary to ESPNCricinfo claims regarding contractual restrictions on individual commercial deals and that the PCB relented on the basis of legal representation made on behalf of the player, it is clarified that the contract specifically requires players to refrain from doing any act that endorses a competitor of a current sponsor / commercial partner of the PCB (and not just principal sponsors), especially since the revenue received from the central PCB sponsors contributes toward the players’ own income. No NOC for signing a deal, which is in direct competition with any of the PCB’s current commercial partners has been granted to date. The PCB has, however, received a request directly from a player for his proposed sponsorship to be reconsidered. This request is still under review.

The PCB is extremely disappointed that a credible, reputable and widely followed media outlet like ESPNCricinfo breached all professional and ethical norms and published the story using inappropriate adjectives, which has a potential to create a crack in the smooth, healthy and cordial relationship between the PCB and all its stakeholders.

The PCB expects ESPNCricinfo will retract its story and acknowledge its errors.

Good of PCB to react in this way.

But a proper review of the NOC process needs to be done in light of the state of the game today

It probably was an ignorant and uneducated writer at ESPN looking for clout, good on the PCB

ESPNCricinfo responds to PCB's response to an article that the website published.

udMNdBv.png

Sssy6Oh.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like outright war here. :corleone

Last edited:
Looks like outright war here.

Some agent or player leaked it to Cricinfo. Else they wouldn't have got the email from PCB.

No NoCs for bbl and ilt20 may spoil PCBs relationship with CA and Emirates board. Hence pcb may try to firefight.

It probably was an ignorant and uneducated writer at ESPN looking for clout, good on the PCB

Actually, quite the contrary based on the response from ESPNCricinfo. Seems ESPNCricinfo knew exactly what they were publishing with sources and proof.

who cares whatever cric-indo thinks.

PCB is the ultimate authority on pakistani players, just like BCCI is on indian players.

Their decision should be respected. Afterall, PCB is the one that gave these players the platform to showcase their talent.

Players are more than welcome to seek T20 contracts outside of PCB, like many do. But its good that PCB will cut its ties with them. The minute a player is not playing international cricket, their value automatically goes downhill.

Very rare to CONSISTENTLY feature in leagues without playing for your country. The only exception to this is sandeep lamichanne, because nepal is not a competitive team but he's a good leg spinner, and essentially made his name independently and without much international exposure.

PCB is the ultimate authority on pakistani players, just like BCCI is on indian players.

Their decision should be respected. Afterall, PCB is the one that gave these players the platform to showcase their talent.

Players are more than welcome to seek T20 contracts outside of PCB, like many do. But its good that PCB will cut its ties with them. The minute a player is not playing international cricket, their value automatically goes downhill.

Very rare to CONSISTENTLY feature in leagues without playing for your country. The only exception to this is sandeep lamichanne, because nepal is not a competitive team but he's a good leg spinner, and essentially made his name independently and without much international exposure.

Where did India come in picture here?
It is a report by Pakistani writer living within Pakistan talking to Pakistani sources.

It’s the Pakistani players who feel missing on big bucks and they feel they need to be compensated as per his market value.
Shaheens overall earning potential is around 2 Million USD a year why shouldn’t he target that

Lmao this guy doesn’t even know that cricindo is an Indian website essentially

Their coverage of pakistan is below india domestic at times

Cricinfo is owned by Disney. It is the premier cricket news site and most credible too.

Because Indian domestics get more clicks perhaps?

Where has Cricinfo said that PCB is not the authority and that their decision should not be respected?

Cricinfo just reported thst pakistani players will not get NoC for BBL and ILT20..

Some people here have a wild imagination. Every news site is not looking for clout or working on some grand conspiracy engineered by the powers that be.

Highly likely that someone within the PCB or one of the player agents leaked the news to Cricinfo, after which they published it. Fact is, PCB's policy on this was not clear ever since PRaja took over.

But regardless, good of PCB to clarify their position. Ultimately what matters most is that the players don't get their financial opportunities taken away from them. That said, while 3 NOCs per year barring PSL is perfectly reasonable for contracted players, I don't see why there has to be a limit for non-contracted players.

If you had thought and ever analysed with a calm mind you would realise that content rendered is as per your location and which country you selected as well as your past preferences. May be you are clicking too much on Indian domestic matches hence website is serving you what you are looking for.

If you had thought and ever analysed with a calm mind you would realise that content rendered is as per your location and which country you selected as well as your past preferences. May be you are clicking too much on Indian domestic matches hence website is serving you what you are looking for.
You don’t know what you’re talking about.

Certainly not.

I live in the USA and I have no interest in Indian domestic or ipl. My viewing patterns have not changed neither have I all of a sudden started following any team outside of pakistsn as per usual.

Infact when I noticed this change 4-5 years ago I sent an email to them regarding bias in there Coverage, headlines and content.

Of course no response.

Majority of journalists on cricinfo are Indian. But it used to be an international website through espn - not anymore.

Otherwise you won’t see poor grammar and headlines like ‘omg I thought I forgot how to pick up line and length because I didn’t play much cricket during covid”. That’s KL Rahul for you btw.
And yes it was an article on front page.

Useless third class media.

A reputable website would never line by line respond to a cricketing board. They’re anti pakistan that’s why they’re doing it.

A reputable agency would clarify these things in a private manner esp since PCB did not name cricinfo specifically.

Certainly not.

I live in the USA and I have no interest in Indian domestic or ipl. My viewing patterns have not changed neither have I all of a sudden started following any team outside of pakistsn as per usual.

Infact when I noticed this change 4-5 years ago I sent an email to them regarding bias in there Coverage, headlines and content.

Of course no response.

Majority of journalists on cricinfo are Indian. But it used to be an international website through espn - not anymore.

Otherwise you won’t see poor grammar and headlines like ‘omg I thought I forgot how to pick up line and length because I didn’t play much cricket during covid”. That’s KL Rahul for you btw.

A reputable website would never line by line respond to a cricketing board. They’re anti pakistan that’s why they’re doing it.

A reputable agency would clarify these things in a private manner esp since PCB did not name cricinfo specifically.

Whether they consider your alleged bias as bias is their wish. No?

Cricinfo has very well known journalists from most test nations. It is still owned by ESPN.

PCB openly challenged the article of Cricinfo via a press release, Cricinfo replied via ots own press release. This is called transparency. Thats how a reputable credible media house owned by the biggest media company in the world works.

PCB didn't name Cricinfo?

See Post#1 for PCB media release.

How many times is cricinfo mentioned?

You need to change the edition to PK to get Pakistan related cricket on top.

I use the UK edition, so I get even County Div 2 scores above India matches :jimmy

Sometimes two well intentioned people can have a misunderstanding which can be sorted out civilly.

Sometimes two well intentioned people can have a misunderstanding which can be sorted out civilly.

Well looks like CI wanted to get another scoop like they have been getting for years but this time PCB were having none of it.

PCB's lack of professionalism never ceases to amaze me.

Certainly not.

Of course no response.

Cricbuzz is Indian not espncrinfo.. I live in states as well, it’s owned by Disney.

This is how you change your settings:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/choose-your-espncricinfo-homepage-622213

Last edited:
#7: "We stand by what we have reported, based on several conversations with those with knowledge of contracts."

Translation: Yes, we ran unverified news based on hearsay but we are too obstinate too accept our fault in public.

Cricinfo always post their news with authenticity. Often they might be late, but they dont spread fake news.

Second, go to cricket australia Facebook page and you can see players list for yourself. Pakistani list wasnt there. Heck there were about 15 players from afghanistan and even from nepal and namibia.

Pcb messed up, and trying to blame a news agency that has a reputation of being accurate.

As for the posters having a go at [MENTION=155430]arif_2021[/MENTION] , the guy is somewhat right. Although cricinfo is authentic in news reporting, but the indian bias exists. It increased after 2011, and at one point if i remember correctly during the pulwama attack event, they removed the psl team franchise names for time being just to appease indian fans.

So yes the biasness is there even though its owned by disney and runs under espn but its mainly indian with offices in Bangalore.

However, that does not mean that when it comes to news it posts fake.

As for the posters having a go at [MENTION=155430]arif_2021[/MENTION] , the guy is somewhat right. Although cricinfo is authentic in news reporting, but the indian bias exists. It increased after 2011, and at one point if i remember correctly during the pulwama attack event, they removed the psl team franchise names for time being just to appease indian fans.

So yes the biasness is there even though its owned by disney and runs under espn but its mainly indian with offices in Bangalore.

However, that does not mean that when it comes to news it posts fake.

Bro...removal of PSL team was done in cricbuzz and not cricinfo.

Cricbuzz is an Indian website but not cricinfo which is owned by Disney.

Having said that, there is definitely some India bias in cricinfo. But can you really blame them?

There are only handful of teams play cricket and most money come from India. So they have to pander to the majority to make profit. It is all business.

And its not only cricinfo but most cricket related channels cater to Indian fans.

Bro...removal of PSL team was done in cricbuzz and not cricinfo.

Cricbuzz is an Indian website but not cricinfo which is owned by Disney.

Having said that, there is definitely some India bias in cricinfo. But can you really blame them?

There are only handful of teams play cricket and most money come from India. So they have to pander to the majority to make profit. It is all business.

And its not only cricinfo but most cricket related channels cater to Indian fans.

I never said they removed psl teams, they removed the franchise names. I know cricbuzz did it, but cricinfo also did it aswell

Again, plz stop repeating yourself when i have said cricinfo is owned by disney but it still has alot of indians working in it who have their biasness against pakistan.

Stop defending discrimination. Business and money are no reason for discriminating someone

LAHORE: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has advised, at least, two cricketers to play the domestic national T20 tournament instead of opting to play for the Caribbean Premier League (CPL) T20. According to reports, the PCB – while turning down NOC requests of Azam Khan and Qasim Akram to play in the Caribbean Premier League – have asked them to play National T20 Cup starting on August 30. The 2022 edition of CPL starts on September 1, 2022. Azam was signed by Barbados Royals while Qasim Akram was picked by St Kitts and Nevis Patriots for the CPL.

Two other players, Mohammad Amir – who has already announced his retirement – and Imad Wasim – who obtained NOC quite earlier – are allowed to participate in the tournament in West Indies. Players who are in PCB plans have been advised to play in the National T20 Cup, which is a qualification for selection in the national side. The PCB has made its mind that playing and performing in CPL or any other league will not be a criterion to earn selection in the Pakistan side, according to reports. Players under consideration for future plans are expected to play in the National T20 Cup to stake a claim in the national side. According to PCB’s policy, players are allowed to play three ICC-approved foreign leagues, excluding Pakistan Super League (PSL), only if they don’t coincide with the PCB-organised events or national duty and player workload and fitness regime are properly managed. The PCB is of the view that these players are Pakistan’s future assets and they shouldn’t be allowed to give preference to franchise cricket over their own domestic events as the PCB has invested in them.

https://dailytimes.com.pk/983886/pc...-two-cricketers-for-caribbean-premier-league/

LAHORE: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has advised, at least, two cricketers to play the domestic national T20 tournament instead of opting to play for the Caribbean Premier League (CPL) T20. According to reports, the PCB – while turning down NOC requests of Azam Khan and Qasim Akram to play in the Caribbean Premier League – have asked them to play National T20 Cup starting on August 30. The 2022 edition of CPL starts on September 1, 2022. Azam was signed by Barbados Royals while Qasim Akram was picked by St Kitts and Nevis Patriots for the CPL.

Two other players, Mohammad Amir – who has already announced his retirement – and Imad Wasim – who obtained NOC quite earlier – are allowed to participate in the tournament in West Indies. Players who are in PCB plans have been advised to play in the National T20 Cup, which is a qualification for selection in the national side. The PCB has made its mind that playing and performing in CPL or any other league will not be a criterion to earn selection in the Pakistan side, according to reports. Players under consideration for future plans are expected to play in the National T20 Cup to stake a claim in the national side. According to PCB’s policy, players are allowed to play three ICC-approved foreign leagues, excluding Pakistan Super League (PSL), only if they don’t coincide with the PCB-organised events or national duty and player workload and fitness regime are properly managed. The PCB is of the view that these players are Pakistan’s future assets and they shouldn’t be allowed to give preference to franchise cricket over their own domestic events as the PCB has invested in them.

https://dailytimes.com.pk/983886/pc...-two-cricketers-for-caribbean-premier-league/

the ambiguity around this statement is a recipe for disaster. either let them play three leagues, or stop them and risk the consequences.

Basically the report was true and PCB gave a big speech denying it as a sham.

Considering they gave NOC to Imad, I guess they have basically finished his career.

Gutted for Qasim Akram really. CPL identified a good talent and could have sensitized him to a bigger crowd and different conditions but no PCB has to act like buffoons.

A year from now, PCB will say other boards don't pick our players as a conspiracy.

PCB has to be careful here. Denying Nocs to Pakistani players will not only mean that these Franchises will not pick Pakistani players going forward but the boards could deny their players Noc for the PSL.

PCB has to be careful here. Denying Nocs to Pakistani players will not only mean that these Franchises will not pick Pakistani players going forward but the boards could deny their players Noc for the PSL.

Surely the NOC decision should be taken before the player offers himself.

This avoids embarrassment and bad blood between PCB and various Boards (ultimately WICB are running CPL)

Surely the NOC decision should be taken before the player offers himself.

This avoids embarrassment and bad blood between PCB and various Boards (ultimately WICB are running CPL)

Exactly.

I don't mind PCB's thinking of grooming their young ones which they think are the future in their domestic cricket before they start playing or be on the bench of other leagues as there would be plenty of opportunities in their career in future. However, this decision could have been taken before they gave their names in the draft.

there is nothing wrong with this logic and we should appreciate PCB for taking this stance.

National T20 cup last year before the ICC T20 was a good prep and gave a fair shot to everyone looking for national selection. Azam Khan did poorly and thats why he was rightfully kicked out of the squad before they went to UAE last year

there is nothing wrong with this logic and we should appreciate PCB for taking this stance.

National T20 cup last year before the ICC T20 was a good prep and gave a fair shot to everyone looking for national selection. Azam Khan did poorly and thats why he was rightfully kicked out of the squad before they went to UAE last year

I agree. Though PCB should be more proactive and should inform such players before they put their names in the draft for leagues as this can cause issues with regards to the repute of the players.

Indian Players also aren’t allowed to play outside of India.

However we aren’t India or IPL.

Take Shadab someone who doesn’t play Test for example he would want to play

Emriates T20
Abu Dhabi T10
PSL
Hundred + County
CPL
BBL

Then there is international LO.

The pride to play and win a major trophy for your country still takes importance for most that’s why you see them continue with their careers unlike Amir.

I agree. Though PCB should be more proactive and should inform such players before they put their names in the draft for leagues as this can cause issues with regards to the repute of the players.

It's the players who are dumb, why would you apply for a job in a different country when you don't have a VISA. They should talk to PCB as opposed to making unilateral decisions.

So its been announced that ITL20 has a first Pakistani recruit, Azam Khan, will PCB also refuse this NOC?

So Azam Khan not in CPL and also removed from ILT20 -

Azam Khan got his NOC after all. Played there tonight and finished with 9 runs not out.

A decision on whether to allow Pakistani players to participate in new cashed-up T20 leagues in the UAE and South Africa is expected imminently, according to Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) boss Ramiz Raja who believes a tipping point is nearing for the sport’s power brokers to decide if “it's country over club or club over country”.

The newly-minted leagues, both set to launch in January and run concurrently alongside other established T20 competitions, are offering huge pay packets after backing from wealthy Indian businessmen in what is becoming an expanded Indian Premier League footprint.

They have caused headaches for cricket boards around the world, including the PCB who have had to contend, according to ESPNcricinfo, with frustrated players naturally allured by what’s on offer elsewhere.

With a busy schedule ahead after the T20 World Cup in Australia, including home Test series against England and New Zealand, before the Pakistan Super League starts in February, there is little wriggle room in the calendar but the PCB might be stuck in a corner.

“We are having thoughts on sending our players there,” Raja told me about the upcoming T20 leagues in UAE and South Africa. “We want to have them fresh for our FTP - that's why we have a reserve pool to pay our superstars to make sure that they aren't overused and overworked.

“We haven't made a call whether we want to release the players or not. We need to work out what is our criteria on releasing players and whether we want to release them at all.

“Or whether we should look after our A-Category players and then let the other lot play in these leagues. We are still deliberating.”

It has been reported in the Indian press that the Glazer family, who own football giant Manchester United, were the only owners of the six franchises in the UAE looking to offer contracts to Pakistani cricketers. It has stoked some concern that Pakistani players might be essentially barred from these growing ‘IPL satellite’ leagues just like they are from the money spinner of the IPL.

But Raja hosed down any fears, saying there was widespread “interest” in his cricketers.

Raja, who has been on the International Cricket Council’s board for the last 12 months, was front and centre on fierce discussions at the ICC’s annual conference in July over the sprouting of T20 franchise leagues as they mushroom the international calendar.

An ICC working group could be formed, according to sources, in a bid to provide some type of clarity on what lies ahead for a sport that appears in the midst of being upended.

Raja, a former Pakistan captain, was outspoken during the meetings in Birmingham over the UAE’s International League T20, where teams might potentially field nine overseas players compared to the commonly accepted four foreigners per side rule in established T20 franchise leagues.

The ILT20, which is privately owned but sanctioned by the Emirates Cricket Board, was given the all clear by the ICC but Raja was left frustrated not being part of the consultation.

“I had no clue of the decision made by the ICC,” Raja said. “There was fierce debate on the ICC board whether to allow a league to have nine overseas players per XI. The floor is still open for debate.

“I’m not sure if that formula will work. If the local talent is struggling no one wants to watch these leagues.”

Emirates Cricket boss Mubashshir Usmani dismissed concern over teams potentially boasting just two locals, believing the number of overseas players in a side is “arbitrary” in an interview with me last month.

The issue is again set to be at the forefront of discussions at the next board meeting in Melbourne in November amid the spectre of the chair election in what could be the dawn of a new era for a sport uncertain about itself.

“"I think it is great for the players that there are these new leagues because they earn more,” Raja said. “But it shrinks the FTP program. We have to decide whether it's country over club, or club over country. That's a concept we as a board have to be absolutely clear on.

“Clearly we (PCB) have to pump money into our system. Boards will have to put more money into their players.

“It’s been a good lesson for all boards who might have hit the snooze button.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trista...in-new-cashed-up-t20-leagues/?sh=6e2547d53263

It's basically a global league with minimum requirements being met to play the local players. It's ICC fault for setting such standards but this was bound to happen eventually.

I would think non-Test players will be allowed to go meaning guys like Azam Khan etc. They do have ODI's to play vs NZ too so it's possible none of those guys are let go either.

The only non-Indian-owned team in the six-member league, Desert Vipers, signed him at the league. Azam Khan would have been the only Pakistani figure to have competed in the tournament, but as per reports, The 24-year-old wicketkeeper-batter has not received the NOC to compete in the league which begins early next year.

"We have received correspondence from the PCB that NOCs are not being granted to the Pakistan players. It was up to the owners whether to take Pakistan players or not, and at least one owner, Lancer Capital, were interested," an ILT20 source was quoted as saying by CricBuzz.

An official from the PCB verified the news, saying that the Dubai league's organizers had been informed that Pakistani players won't be given NOCs. It was earlier said that the PCB had prohibited their players from participating in either the ILT20 or South Africa’s inaugural SA20 League, which is also set to commence in January next year.

"No player has formally applied for an NOC. When a request is made, it will be reviewed by the concerned authorities," said a PCB official.

It was logical given that 11 of the 12 owners in the two tournaments are Indians, and the owners in India apparently do not favor players from Pakistan due to the diplomatic animosity between the two nations. Numerous Pakistani players' agents, situated in Pakistan, the United Arab Emirates, and England, put in extra effort and vowed to provide the teams with the finest of their country's potential.

The direct signing of Azam, the son of renowned Pakistani wicketkeeper Moin Khan, to the Desert Vipers franchise, which is coached by Tom Moody, gave rise to the perception that other Pakistani players will be drawn to the Lancer Capital-owned team. In fact, it was thought that the Vipers could play a team with as many Pakistani players as possible. But as per recent developments, that scenario will not be on cards.

Some sense prevails...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">PCB has confirmed that they have given permission to its players to sign up for the inaugural South African T20 league. Those players picked will be given an NOC by the Board <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SAT20?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#SAT20</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@SajSadiqCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/SajSadiqCricket/status/1588817110356348929?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 5, 2022</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Don’t mind the batsmen playing in this league but bowlers like SSA, Rauf & Nadeem play enough franchise cricket anyway so risk any injuries as PSL
will start a few weeks after.

Back