Peace deal announced between Yemeni government, separatists [Update #115]

Zechariah

T20I Debutant
Runs
Fighter jets, artillery bombardments across the border in move aimed to help southern neighbour control an escalating rebellion

Full Article: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...e-against-yemen-shiite-rebels/article1352588/

Saudi Arabia sent fighter jets and artillery bombardments across the border into northern Yemen on Thursday in a military incursion apparently aimed at helping its troubled southern neighbour control an escalating Shiite rebellion.

The Saudis — owners of a sophisticated air force they rarely use — have been increasingly worried that extremism and instability in Yemen could spill over to their country, the world's largest oil exporter. The offensive came two days after the killing of a Saudi soldier, blamed on the rebels.

Yemen denied any military action by Saudi Arabia inside its borders. But Yemen's president is a key ally of the Saudis, making it highly unlikely the kingdom would have launched the offensive without tacit Yemeni agreement.

The offensive immediately raised concerns of another proxy war in the Middle East between Iran and Saudi Arabia, a key U.S. ally. Shiite Iran is believed to favour the rebels in Yemen while Saudi Arabia, which is Sunni, is Iran's fiercest regional rival.

The same dynamic has played out in various forms in Lebanon, where Iran supports the Shiite militant Hezbollah and Saudi Arabia favours a U.S.-backed faction, and in Iraq, where Saudi Arabia and Iran have thrown support to conflicting sides in the Sunni-Shiite struggle.

A top Saudi government adviser confirmed “a large scale” military operation under way on the Saudi-Yemeni border with further reinforcements sent to the rugged, mountainous area.

“It is a sustained operation which aims to finish this problem on our border,” he said, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue. He said Saudi troops were co-ordinating with Yemen's army, but Yemen's defence ministry denied the Saudis were inside the country.

The northern rebels, known as Hawthis, have been battling Yemeni government forces the past few months in the latest flare-up of a sporadic five-year conflict. They claim their needs are ignored by a Yemeni government that is increasingly allied with hard-line Sunni fundamentalists, who consider Shiites heretics.

The rebels said the Saudi air strikes hit five areas in their northern stronghold Thursday but it was not possible to independently verify the reports. They said there were dead and wounded, and that homes were destroyed.

“Saudi jets dropped bombs on a crowded areas including a local market in the northern province of Saada,” Hawthi spokesman Mohammed Abdel-Salam told The Associated Press. “They claim they are targeting al-Hawthis, but regrettably they are killing civilians like the government does.”

He said the attacks were followed by hundreds of shells from the border, but there was no reliable information about casualties.

The fighting is more than 600 miles from Saudi Arabia's oil fields on the kingdom's eastern Persian Gulf coast. But northern Yemen overlooks the Red Sea, the world's busiest route for oil tankers.

Two Arab diplomats, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Saudi Tornado and F-15 warplanes had been bombarding targets inside Yemen since Wednesday afternoon, inflicting significant casualties on rebels. The diplomats spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not allowed to talk to the media.

They said army units and special forces also had been sent to northern Yemen, and that several Saudi towns on the border had been evacuated as a precaution.

The weak central government of Yemen, which has little control outside the capital San'a, is fighting on multiple fronts including the northern rebels and a separatist movement in the south. But the most worrisome is a lingering threat from al-Qaida militants.

The U.S. also fears any Yemeni fighting could spill over into Saudi Arabia and is concerned that Yemen could become a haven for al-Qaeda militants hiding out in the nation, at the tip of the Arabian peninsula.

The Yemeni government openly accuses Iran of arming the Hawthis rebels, but there has been no public evidence to back those claims, said Joost Hiltermann, deputy program director of the Middle East program for the International Crisis Group think-tank in London.

“I think Iran is probably pleased with what is happening, but that is not the same as saying they are supporting the Hawthis,” Mr. Hiltermann said.

Simon Henderson, director of Gulf and energy policy at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy in Washington, agreed that there is no clear evidence that Iran funds the rebels. But he said there is a wide assumption that Iran favours the Hawthis and the Saudis are backing Yemen's Sunni president.

“So it is a Saudi-Iranian proxy war,” he said.

Saudi Arabia, rich in oil, has one of the world's most sophisticated air forces but rarely uses it.

The bulk of its air power, with more than 350 combat aircraft, derives from squadrons of F-15s and British-supplied Tornados, according to the military and intelligence analysis group GlobalSecurity.org. The kingdom also for decades has received U.S. military assistance in the form of training.

The Saudi incursion marks the first time since the 1991 Gulf War that the country has deployed military might beyond its borders.

In that war, Saudi forces assisted the U.S. Marine Corps, providing staging grounds for air strikes and in joint operations targeting Iraqi positions in Kuwait with artillery fire and ground offensives.

The incursion is not, however, Saudi Arabia's first involvement in internal Yemeni conflicts. During Yemen's 1962-70 civil war, sparked by a military coup that overthrew Yemen's royalist government, Saudi Arabia supported the royalists against the Egyptian-backed government.

When civil war erupted again in 1994, it was widely believed that the Saudis sided with southern secessionist rebels against the central government.

A security official told Saudi Arabia's state news agency that the soldier died when gunmen infiltrated from Yemen and attacked security guards patrolling the Mount Dokhan border area Tuesday. Rebels said that area was among the bombing targets Thursday.

The Gulf Cooperation Council, the region's main diplomatic forum, condemned what it called the “violation and infiltration” of Saudi Arabia's borders. “Saudi Arabia is capable of protecting its lands,” it warned in a statement.

Good move by the saudis, these yemenis are backed by the scumbag country called Iran, they should be taught a strong lesson.

its definatly a good move, they should also attack hezbollah and remove them from lebabon.

suhaib said:
its definatly a good move, they should also attack hezbollah and remove them from lebabon.

Very true that, another organisation that scumbag iran are supporting.

Ahhh so when its american invading muslims lands and killing muslims in afghanistan then its OK.

But organisations like hezbollah who are a thorn in Israels side and gave the israelis a bloodied nose in there last war must be destroyed.

You liberals are crazy

hussain_0216 said:
Ahhh so when its american invading muslims lands and killing muslims in afghanistan then its OK.

But organisations like hezbollah who are a thorn in Israels side and gave the israelis a bloodied nose in there last war must be destroyed.

You liberals are crazy

Its not often BUT i agree with this post

so they couldnt find another way out of this mess? not very sharp are they?

as for taking out the Hezballah...lol..the saudis vs the hezb? hahahhaha...they wouldnt last an hour!! theyd have to hire real soldiers to fight them...

hasanb said:
Very true that, another organisation that scumbag iran are supporting.
Just coz iran supports an organization, it doesnt mean they are scumbags.

well hezbollah is on the same page as TTP, they are there just to create conflicts with israel giving them excuses to attack middleeast, there was a picture once with one of hezbollahs soliders wearing a star of david locket on his neckless.

Wasent he also wearing a skull cap, doing yoga whilst singing the Vande Mataram

Oh yes, he had a I voted for Bush T-Shirt on

Hezbollah are the only organisation who have successfully given the israelis a smack in the chops and sent them home

They are infinitely better then the liberal cowards who think befriending and talking to Israel will get them anywhere As Mahmoud Abbas has found out

If Iran supports Hezbollah then good on them, they have made a very capable force

Well Saudi did have to make use of the billions they spent on fighter jets and arms that they bought from Britain.

I was always wondering when they were going to use it.

Enough with these stupid military operations, negotiate and develop. address the genuine concerns of people unless bombing the crap out of them

waqar_ahmad said:
Just coz iran supports an organization, it doesnt mean they are scumbags.

Iran are the biggest trouble making scumbags out there, they just cant get enough of meddling and that too where there is some sort of shia interest usually. That is irrelevant to me...I just really dislike that country tbh.

Actually not the country, but its govt and armed forces I should say.

hasanb said:
Iran are the biggest trouble making scumbags out there, they just cant get enough of meddling and that too where there is some sort of shia interest usually. That is irrelevant to me...I just really dislike that country tbh.

Actually not the country, but its govt and armed forces I should say.
Hezbollah operated against Israel, not against pakistan. THere is a difference

waqar_ahmad said:
Hezbollah operated against Israel, not against pakistan. THere is a difference

I certainly dont like hezbollah, however since they have nothing to do with Pakistan they are very low down on my list of priorities.

Warning: Beware of some posters with the labeled muslim names.

hasanb said:
I certainly dont like hezbollah, however since they have nothing to do with Pakistan they are very low down on my list of priorities.
reasons?

hasanb said:
Good move by the saudis, these yemenis are backed by the scumbag country called Iran, they should be taught a strong lesson.

Maybe you should look into the mirror before calling everyone who is not pro west a scumbag. Frankly you are turning out to be the biggest scumbag I have encountered.

Khalil said:
Maybe you should look into the mirror before calling everyone who is not pro west a scumbag. Frankly you are turning out to be the biggest scumbag I have encountered.

Right back at ya

So wait, Iran is bad 'cuz it's shia. But is good since it's the only goddamn muslim country to stand up against both A*merry*cnuts and P!ss*real; and has actually won a proxy war against P!ss*real unlike the naaray baaz arabs. Make your minds up where your priorities lie.

To be honest all significant sunni countries have sided and bowed down both forward and backward to both US/Israel. Why is that? Are we not brave enough?

I dont agree with everything Iran says or does; but kudos to where it's due.

hussain_0216 said:

You liberals are crazy

Easy there buddy. I am both liberal and moderate and I fully agree with your stance here.

Ladies Man said:
So wait, Iran is bad 'cuz it's shia. But is good since it's the only goddamn muslim country to stand up against both A*merry*cnuts and P!ss*real; and has actually won a proxy war against P!ss*real unlike the naaray baaz arabs. Make your minds up where your priorities lie.

To be honest all significant sunni countries have sided and bowed down both forward and backward to both US/Israel. Why is that? Are we not brave enough?

I dont agree with everything Iran says or does; but kudos to where it's due.

Mate I understand if you dont have an issue with Iran...I respect your opinion there. However could I just request that you do a little bit of research into Irans trouble-making activities in Baluchistan where they are actively helping and aiding the liberation movement there...they are also deeply involved in aiding the TTP in cahoots with the indians...if you just read into this a bit itll become apparent to you.

They are doing the same in Iraq and Yemen...Iran is nothing more than a meddling troublemaking country, theyre bad news. So I request you read up if you have time and if you still hold your opinion then no worries i'll back off and respect your opinion.

Again no offense yeah, because we do tend to agree on most things!

hb

You are making it sound like Pakistan has never created problems for Iran. We aint no angels bud. Truth be told we are a satellite state for merry*cnuts and saudi*shArabs. We are perpetually at their beck'n'call for both political and intellectual servitude.

You can't possibly expect garlands in return for firebombs. We reap what we sow. Period.

What is the other side of this story?

As I understand it, the Shias are a minority in the Yeman but a majority in the Northern areas. They have been campaigning for greater autonomy for years and want their own religious laws etc.

The Yemen government however decided to round up, and jail without charge these rebel voices as they feared the central government would be overthrown.

And then Iran and co get involved and the whole thing turns nasty.

But you can't blame a group of people who have had their basic human rights trampled upon to just sit around and take it. If the government don't allow them a democratic voice it's no wonder they turn to violence.

insaftak said:
Enough with these stupid military operations, negotiate and develop. address the genuine concerns of people unless bombing the crap out of them

do u think countries love to do operation in their own land ? :pissed:

suhaib said:

hahaha
I just noticed this little gem of yours. Did you actually mean to say saudies taking on hezbollahs?

Let me put this in simple words for you. ShArabs have never won against the jooces even when being 5 man-up back in '65 or '67 war (not sure which year). Contrast this to a significantly less count and comparatively poorly equipped hezb army that actually kicked living daylights out of p!ss-realies back in '06 making them retreat for the first time ever in the muslim history of warfare.

The weak-minded and phsyically-challenged arabs dont have the balls to take on the hezbs. They've already outsourced their war with the persians over to the US and Israel ages back. Hence the present worldly scenario.

People complain when Saudi Arabia does something like this BUT when Iran interfere and spread destruction in Yemen (which they've been doing for some time) no-one betters an eyelid?

hussain_0216 said:

You liberals are crazy

a thorn in israel's side or that of the palestinian's ?

is hezbollah really going to have a military victory over israel ?

or do some people just get kicks when a jew gets blown up no matter how severe the retaliation towards palestinians is going to be ?

hussain_0216 said:

You liberals are crazy

well said hussain :14:

not often i aggre with a crazy mullah :))

Hasanb..to be completely honest, Hezbollah is a far cry from the kind of organization you've made it out to be.

As many have already mentioned here before:

Simply because Iran supports Hezbollah does not automatically make it a 'scumbag' organization. Syria also directly supports Hezbollah, does that make Syria a scumbag too? Not really.

Countries like Syria and Iran are using Hezbollah as a proxy against Israel. Whether they are majority Shia or not is besides the point because dare I make a division, Sunnis and Shia have a common enemy - the zionist state.

Furthermore, Hezbollah is not only a military organization. They have a wide politcal, social and economic expanse. They are etched into every facet of life in southern Lebanon and you might be surprised to know this but a good 30-40% of Lebanese Hezbollah supporters are Christians who..surprise surprise..support them for their efforts against the oppression committed by Israel.

Lebanese people are not alien to the criminal acts of Israel as a state. Even without religion, Israel has violated so many international laws in relation to Lebanon that it would be a miracle for any Lebanese to support Israel politically or socioeconomically.

Granted that Hezbollah have a military wing, but that is a big factor which stops Israel from rolling into Lebanese territory and expanding its borders. Hezbollah is a strong organization with supporters willing to die for it.

And to my knowledge, contrary to the U.S. State Department belief, Hezbollah has hardly ever committed "terror" acts against large civilian populations in the way that Israel has done.

At some point, no matter how much of a Gandhi follower one is, you HAVE to stand up and fight eye for an eye.

Mate I havent really studied hezbollah so others peoples knowlesge about them will be more than me on this issue. Therefore I wont say anything about them either way...since im simply not qualified to do so. Its not hard to gather that my ire is directed at Iran more than anyone else.

kashif77 said:

or do some people just get kicks when a jew gets blown up no matter how severe the retaliation towards palestinians is going to be ?

On the contrary did Israel actually beat Hezbollah? The so called powerful military couldn't handle such an organization? If Hezbollah could give some difficult times to likes of Israel then that speaks volumes as to what a Muslim unity can do.

Why is Israel so afraid from likes of Hamas, why do they want to disarm them? Israel wants to be the only military power, its quite simple.

Zechariah said:
On the contrary did Israel actually beat Hezbollah?

no but they are beating the palestinians.

they use the violence as an excuse to grab more land.

i

kashif77 said:
no but they are beating the palestinians.

they use the violence as an excuse to grab more land.

i

But that is besides the point, a small organization took Israel on the surprise!

Last edited:
kashif77 said:

What about them pigs killing the Palestinians, oh I am sorry they are not sucking on the Americans so they deserve to die. Some how you just cant understand that.

Let me tell you guys something

I want you to remember this

The greatest muslim military victories in the world have always been by observant muslims or muslims who you could describe as radical, fundamentalist or right wing

Whether it be battles in Europe, Africa, Central Asia, the Sub Continent or the mid east liberal secular crazy muslims have NEVER won us anything

Just like the hypocrites who betrayed the prophet and the sahaba, these guys dont do anything when it comes down to it and only have there self interests at heart.

Look how useless the secular arabs were against a tiny israel

Look how ruthless a Hezbollah who the west would describe as fundamentalist muslims were against israel.

Yemen denied any military action by Saudi Arabia inside its borders

So theres no cross border attacks like russia in georgia or america pretty much everywhere in the world.

I like the way the headline stresses the rebels were shiite, the saudi government would have dealt the same with any rebels even if they were talafis

As for hezbollah i didnt notice them helping out hamas again in the last 'war'

hussain_0216 said:
Let me tell you guys something

I want you to remember this

As if people actually listen to you :))

I tell you what if the cyber division of the security services do keep an eye on internet forums as they say they do, your days are severely numbered believe you me.

Dosent change the fact that the type of liberal B.S you spout dosent get us muslims anwhere, you need to be atleast a bit right wing in order to forge ahead in this world.

I agree with Hussain on Hezbollah. I don't identify with them idelogically but they have given Israel a right kick up their backside and deservedly so.
Israel remember launched an illegal war on Lebanon in 1982, and they killed a lot of people there, bombing cities everwhere and they did the same in 2006. No 1 else has stood up to Israel in the middle-east apart from Hezbollah. And may I add overall they target the Israeli military, they don't operate suicide bombings against Israeli civilians.

90MPH said:
I agree with Hussain on Hezbollah. I don't identify with them idelogically but they have given Israel a right kick up their backside and deservedly so.
Israel remember launched an illegal war on Lebanon in 1982, and they killed a lot of people there, bombing cities everwhere and they did the same in 2006. No 1 else has stood up to Israel in the middle-east apart from Hezbollah. And may I add overall they target the Israeli military, they don't operate suicide bombings against Israeli civilians.
Hizb'Allah Zindabad!

hussain_0216 said:
Dosent change the fact that the type of liberal B.S you spout dosent get us muslims anwhere, you need to be atleast a bit right wing in order to forge ahead in this world.

Dude, when will you learn to respect differing opinions without foaming at the mouth?

It doesn't take right-wing nuttiness to defend one self; but rather common sense and self dignity. I am liberal but I swear to Allah anyone infringe upon my freedom I will go ape shiet on that person. And that includes your kind.

Moreover, don't confuse Hezbullah with islamic fundos. Hezbs promote both education and right to dress for females -- enough said! They've won hearts and minds due to their unparalleled ferocity; and setting up an efficient civilian welfare infrastructure. They neither whip people brazenly on the street; nor promote sectarian hate. They don't even sport ugly long beards for God's sake.

kashif77 said:

k77

you definitely must be one of 'em nicey goody goody merry*c%$ts

let me put this in simple words for you: if there was no hezbullah we would've had one more palestine called lebanon

i dare you to kick someone in the face who you know can punch you right back in the groin -- get it?

It took some time but the Houthi rebels have had the last laugh - they have now taken power in Yemen.

Yemen's Shia Houthi rebel movement has announced it is taking over the government and dissolving parliament.

In a televised statement, the group said a five-member council would act as the president for an interim period.

The group took control of the capital Sanaa in September, forcing the resignation of President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi in January.

The announcement comes after the failure of UN-brokered peace talks.

The Houthis set a Wednesday deadline for political parties to reach an agreement on ending the country's political turmoil, threatening to act unilaterally otherwise.

The rebels move would mark "a new era that will take Yemen to safe shores'', the statement said, according to Associated Press.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-31169773

Saudi vulnerable like never before!!

The biggest insecurity that al sauds have now is that with each passing day americans are more self reliant for their oil needs. They are trying to kill the fracking revolution by creating over supply and killing oil profits but they might already be late.

So how long before america turn their backs to saudi arabia and their cronies.

al sauds have started the shia sunni divide in the middle east and are sitting right in centre of this mess. If Shia's gain political power in whats left of Iraq, Syria, Iran, Yemen, Lebanon etc...etc....then the saudi support diminishes. The face of ME will change in two decades time.

This is exciting and I hope Shias take over other majority Shia countries too. Would be a good step towards limiting the saudi influence.

Because of Saudi Arabia-Iran, the Muslim world has been affected big time, and that includes Pakistan. Despite of Iran's meddling affair in Balochistan, Pakistan has show great patient of being diplomatic and that includes the influence of Saudi Arabia as well. But for how long? They are messed up. Former PM of Pakistan, Zia-ul-Haq who tried his best to unite them both and work towards the common goal, but as usual being arrogant they are, enter the longest period of Sunni-Shia war served Muslim world naught.

Once upon a time, they were greatest empires; both of them. Now, they are nothing but huge burden on the Muslim world to carry on. Because of them, the whole Middle East is in chaos now. :facepalm:

This is exciting and I hope Shias take over other majority Shia countries too. Would be a good step towards limiting the saudi influence.

It doesn't matter. Whether Iran gains influence or Saudi Arabia does, both nations fund extremist groups to spread anarchy. I am surprised people don't point that out about Iran while eager to judge Saudi Arabia. Both nations, Iran and Saudi Arabia, can not be trusted. Pakistan has always been diplomatic towards them, and that might be best tactics for now, but never trust them both.

Saudi, Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan all fund terrorists. Sad state of the muslim world.

It doesn't matter. Whether Iran gains influence or Saudi Arabia does, both nations fund extremist groups to spread anarchy. I am surprised people don't point that out about Iran while eager to judge Saudi Arabia. Both nations, Iran and Saudi Arabia, can not be trusted. Pakistan has always been diplomatic towards them, and that might be best tactics for now, but never trust them both.

Maybe because Iranian meddling doesn't cause things like Daesh to happen? If anything, Iran should be praised for their current role in Syria and Iraq.

Maybe because Iranian meddling doesn't cause things like Daesh to happen? If anything, Iran should be praised for their current role in Syria and Iraq.

Daesh happened partly because the Shiite government was a sectarian one which eventually led to the Sunni uprising. That is why Obama refused to act unless Maliki resigned. As for Iran, we'll have to wait and see if their current role turns out to be a positive one for the region or just further entrenches the sectarian divide.

You cannot ignore the Wahabbi roots in the entire situation, its their core ideology. If it was mainly a Sunni uprising, why are they talking about global conquests and what not?

You cannot ignore the Wahabbi roots in the entire situation, its their core ideology. If it was mainly a Sunni uprising, why are they talking about global conquests and what not?

If global conquests means overrunning a few raggedy towns in Iraq then I guess we should take them seriously. Other than that both wahabis and shiites are sectarian scumbags.

If global conquests means overrunning a few raggedy towns in Iraq then I guess we should take them seriously. Other than that both wahabis and shiites are sectarian scumbags.

No I mean their AIMS of wanting a global caliphate stems from Wahhabi indoctrination directly from Saudi Arabia. Do you mean Shia groups like Hezbollah or Shias as a whole ?

Mosul and Raqqa are raggedy towns?

Because of Saudi Arabia-Iran, the Muslim world has been affected big time, and that includes Pakistan. Despite of Iran's meddling affair in Balochistan, Pakistan has show great patient of being diplomatic and that includes the influence of Saudi Arabia as well. But for how long? They are messed up. Former PM of Pakistan, Zia-ul-Haq who tried his best to unite them both and work towards the common goal, but as usual being arrogant they are, enter the longest period of Sunni-Shia war served Muslim world naught.

Once upon a time, they were greatest empires; both of them. Now, they are nothing but huge burden on the Muslim world to carry on. Because of them, the whole Middle East is in chaos now. :facepalm:

Not sure how it's any different to the Russia U.S cold War which destroyed South East Asia as well as Afghanistan and now Syria is a victim of both cold and Middle eastern politics

Yes Saudi dogma does automatically assume hegemony in the Muslim world but so does American culture worldwide

As for Yemen, Tawakkul Karman has provided as much opposition as the haithis

Yemen war: Government and separatists agree deal to end infighting [Post #40]

At least 29 children have been killed and 30 wounded in a Saudi-led coalition air strike in Yemen, the International Committee of the Red Cross says.

The children were travelling on a bus that was hit at a market in Dahyan, in the northern province of Saada.

The health ministry run by the rebel Houthi movement said put the death toll at 43, and said 61 people were wounded.

The coalition, which is backing Yemen's government in a war with the Houthis, said its actions were "legitimate".

It insists it never deliberately targets civilians, but human rights groups have accused it of bombing markets, schools, hospitals and residential areas.

What happened in Saada?

Yemeni tribal elders told the Associated Press that the bus was hit as it passed through Dahyan market and that it was transporting local civilians, including many school children.

The charity Save the Children said it had been told by its staff that the children were on their way back to school from a picnic when the driver of their bus stopped to get a drink.

The vehicle was stationary when the attack happened, it added.

The ICRC said a hospital it supported in Saada had received the bodies of 29 children, all of them under the age of 15, and 48 injured people, among them 30 children.

It sent additional supplies to the hospital to cope with the influx of patients.

Houthi-run Al-Masirah TV reported that 47 people were killed and 77 wounded, and broadcast graphic pictures showing the bodies of several young children, some of them wearing school uniform.

What has been the reaction?

Houthi spokesman Mohammed Abdul-Salam accused the coalition of showing "clear disregard for civilian life" by targeting a crowded public place.

The ICRC stressed that "under international humanitarian law, civilians must be protected during conflict", while the secretary-general of the Norwegian Refugee Council Jan Egeland called it a "grotesque, shameful" attack that showed "blatant disregard for rules of war".

Save the Children described the incident as "horrific", and called for a full, immediate and independent investigation into recent attacks on civilians and civilian infrastructure.

It was not immediately clear whether the bus was the target of the air strike, but coalition spokesman Col Turki al-Malki said the attack was "a legitimate military action, conducted in conformity with international humanitarian law".

He said it had hit "militants responsible for planning and targeting civilians" in the southern Saudi city of Jizan on Wednesday night, where one Yemeni resident was killed and 11 others were injured by fragments from an intercepted ballistic missile that was launched by the Houthis from neighbouring Amran province.

He accused the rebels of using children as "tools and covers for their terrorist acts".

Later, air strikes were reported in the rebel-held Yemeni capital, Sanaa.

A week ago, at least 55 civilians were killed and 170 others wounded in a series of attacks on the rebel-held Red Sea port city of Hudaydah. The coalition denied that it had carried out air strikes in the area, and blamed the deaths on rebel mortar fire.

Why is there a war in Yemen?

Yemen has been devastated by a conflict that escalated in early 2015, when the Houthis seized control of much of the west of the country and forced President Abdrabbuh Mansour Hadi to flee abroad.

Alarmed by the rise of a group they saw as an Iranian proxy, the UAE, Saudi Arabia and seven other Arab states intervened in an attempt to restore the government.

Almost 10,000 people - two-thirds of them civilians - have been killed and 55,000 others injured in the fighting, according to the United Nations.

The fighting and a partial blockade by the coalition has also left 22 million people in need of humanitarian aid, created the world's largest food security emergency, and led to a cholera outbreak that is thought to have affected a million people.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-45128367

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">MORE: Total of 50 dead & 77 injured in <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Yemen?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Yemen</a> attack, most of them children <a href="https://t.co/b0PSssZFYD">https://t.co/b0PSssZFYD</a> <a href="https://t.co/ovZbFGHtZy">pic.twitter.com/ovZbFGHtZy</a></p>— RT (@RT_com) <a href="https://twitter.com/RT_com/status/1027616271108595713?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 9, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

As if we needed any more reasons to hate Saudi Arabia

Last edited by a moderator:
Why target school bus? Was it a case of failed intelligence?

Sickening, absolutely sickening. RIP to all the dead :(

Knowing arabs it wouldn't surprise me if it was a failure of intelligence or not in this situation.

Another feather in the cap for the so called "great reformer" Mohammad bin Salman. This is his war.

To get 1-2 militants (maybe) you blow up 30+ kids?

They've lost their minds.

Knowing arabs it wouldn't surprise me if it was a failure of intelligence or not in this situation.

Arabia is a massive region comprising various nationalities.
Sure you don't mean every Arab?

Have you had any bad experiences with Arabs? Most Arabs I've met have been very hospitable and friendly especially Gulf Arabs (surprisingly). The govts actions shouldn't let you hate the people.

Why Muslims world is so silent about Yehmen? - So much hue and Cry about Muslims been killed when non-muslims does it, but when it's done by Saudis, its all Kosher :facepalm:

When Saudis and Chinese treat other muslims like dirt or massacre them, Pakistanis tend to look the other way, is this also part of National Security policy? :13:

Why Muslims world is so silent about Yehmen? - So much hue and Cry about Muslims been killed when non-muslims does it, but when it's done by Saudis, its all Kosher :facepalm:

When Saudis and Chinese treat other muslims like dirt or massacre them, Pakistanis tend to look the other way, is this also part of National Security policy? :13:

How many people on this thread are supporting killing by Saudi? Or how many people have good words to say about Al-saud.

Last edited by a moderator:
How many people on this thread are supporting killing by Saudi? Or how many people have good words to say about Al-saud.

Not in this thread, but i personally know Desis who support Saudis in everything, including bombing schoolkids

Their excuse is "do you know what words "they" use against Hadhrat Abu Bakr"

Gulf Arabs supporting this is because of nationalistic reasons

And south asians and others do it because they think its a religious duty....

Not in this thread, but i personally know Desis who support Saudis in everything, including bombing schoolkids

Their excuse is "do you know what words "they" use against Hadhrat Abu Bakr"

Gulf Arabs supporting this is because of nationalistic reasons

And south asians and others do it because they think its a religious duty....

Basically, ignorance.

Arabia is a massive region comprising various nationalities.
Sure you don't mean every Arab?

The arab phobia on here is crazy. Do people realize the children that died here were ALSO arabs?

As for this news, unfortunately it does not even come as a surprise knowing Saudi Arabia. The one place that truly needs an American invasion is living free bombing innocents and promoting violence.

Back