Pick Your Cricket World Cup Greatest XI

owenhcricket

Tape Ball Regular
Runs
My first thread is a straight forward one...pick the XI you think is made up of the best performers in CWCs. This doesn't have to be the greatest ODI cricketers XI, although it will likely include many of those, but a team of players who have performed best on cricket's biggest stage.

Mine would be:

1. S. Tendulkar (Who else? Highest run getter in the tournaments history)
2. A. Gilchrist wk
3. R. Ponting
4. K. Sangakkara
5. AB De Villiers
6. B. Stokes (the only selection based on a single CWC)
7. A. Symonds
8. Imran Khan c
9. W. Akram
10. M. Muralidaran
11. G. McGrath

What a team that is!

1. Saeed Anwar
2. Jason Roy
3. Ricky Ponting (c)
4. Brian Lara
5. Yuvraj Singh
6. Ben Stokes
7. MS Dhoni
8. Wasim Akram
9. Shaun Pollack
10. Glen McGrath
11. Mutiah Muralitharan

1. Saeed Anwar
2. Jason Roy
3. Ricky Ponting (c)
4. Brian Lara
5. Yuvraj Singh
6. Ben Stokes
7. MS Dhoni
8. Wasim Akram
9. Shaun Pollack
10. Glen McGrath
11. Mutiah Muralitharan
ODI world cup XI without Tendulkar and Jayasiriya is blasphemy mate

1) Sachin Tendulkar
2) Ricky Pointing (c)
3) Virat Kholi
4) Kumar Sangakara (WK)
5) AB De Devillers
6) Ben Stokes
7) MS Dhoni
8) Wasim Akram
9) Glenn Mcgrath
10) Shane Warne
11) Murli

1) Tendulkar
2) Ponting (c)
3) Lara
4) Sangakarra (+)
5) AB de Villiers
6) Kallis
7) Shakib
8) Wasim Akram
9) Allen Donald
10) McGrath
11) Murli

Apart from the 1999 World Cup Klusener doesn't have many widely recognized cricketing achievements.

I'd prefer to choose Ben Stokes as the best all-rounder.
This is true. I have a 99 WC bias. I think Kallis is probably the best WC allrounder though.

1. Sachin Tendulkar
2. Adam Gilchrist (wk)
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Brian Lara
5. AB De Villiers
6. Ben Stokes
7. Imran Khan (c)
8. Wasim Akram
9. Mitchell Starc
10. Shane Warne
11. Glenn McGrath

1) Tendulkar
2) Gilly (wk)
3) Viv (c)
4) Ponting
5) Lara
6) ABD
7) Akram
8) Warne
9) Ambrose
10) Marshall
11) McGrath

1. Adam Ghilchrist (wk)
  2. Matthew Hayden
  3. Sachin Tendulkar
  4. Viv Richards (c)
  5. Kumar Sangakkara
  6. ABD
  7. Jacques Kallis
  8. Wasim Akram
  9. Shane Warne
  10. Glenn Mcgrath
  11. Latish Malinga

1. Sachin Tendulkar
2. Adam Gilchrist (wk)/Sanath Jayasuriya
3. Ricky Ponting(c)
4. Viv Richards
5. AB De Villiers
6. Ben Stokes/MS Dhoni(c/wkt)
7. Kapil Dev
8. Wasim Akram
9. Mitchell Starc
10. Shane Warne
11. Glenn McGrath

That's 13.

1. Sachin Tendulkar
2. Adam Gilchrist (wk)/Sanath Jayasuriya
3. Ricky Ponting(c)
4. Viv Richards
5. AB De Villiers
6. Ben Stokes/MS Dhoni(c/wkt)
7. Kapil Dev
8. Wasim Akram
9. Mitchell Starc
10. Shane Warne
11. Glenn McGrath

That's 13.
Gilchrist slightly > Jaysuria, Dhoni and Ben Stokes is tough tbh, but ig Ben Stokes due to the bowling he provides and gikchrsit already being the WK.

Gilchrist slightly > Jaysuria, Dhoni and Ben Stokes is tough tbh, but ig Ben Stokes due to the bowling he provides and gikchrsit already being the WK.
Also I'd replace stark for Joel Garner, I'm suprised no one mentions Joel Garner considering he's easily the best fast bowler of all time.

1) Tendulkar
2) Gilchrist
3) Pointing
4) Viv Richards
5) AB De Devillers
6) Micheal Bevan
7) Kapil Dev
8) Wasim Akram
9) Joel Garner
10) Glenn Mcgrath
11) Shane Warne

It should be one between Gilly and Dhoni so the other option is a 6th bowling option. Can be either, ultimately down to personal preferences.

The Greatest ODI World Cup XI of all time :-

Tendulkar
Gilchrist
Richards
Ponting
Yuvraj
Stokes
Klusner
Dev
Warne
Lee
Shami

Reserves:-
Sharma, Starc, Crowe, McGrath

Let's do something a little more positive and cricket oriented.

Post your XI of the greatest ever world cup performers...key being that they have to be top world cup performers, not necessarily greatest ever cricketers. And just to make sure we're not having one hit wonders, someone who has performed in 2 or more tournaments.

My XI:
1. Tendulkar
2. Hayden
3. Ponting
4. Lara
5. AB DeVilliers
6. Gilchrist wk
7. Imran Khan c
8. Akram
9. Starc
10. Muralidaran
11. McGrath

Let's do something a little more positive and cricket oriented.

Post your XI of the greatest ever world cup performers...key being that they have to be top world cup performers, not necessarily greatest ever cricketers. And just to make sure we're not having one hit wonders, someone who has performed in 2 or more tournaments.

My XI:
1. Tendulkar
2. Hayden
3. Ponting
4. Lara
5. AB DeVilliers
6. Gilchrist wk
7. Imran Khan c
8. Akram
9. Starc
10. Muralidaran
11. McGrath
Viv Richards over abd

Greatest ODI World Cup XI of all time :-

Tendulkar
Gilchrist
Richards
Ponting
Stokes
Yuvraj
Klusner
Dev
Warne
Lee
Zaheer

Reserves :-
Dhoni, Wasim, Muralitharan, Sharma

Gilchrist
Tendulkar
Viv
Ponting
Lloyd c
Symonds
Klusener
Warne
Akram
Starc
McGrath

12th man Sanath

It’s a shame that Virat, Babar have no claim to being in this XI despite their numbers.

Sharma with 5 hundreds in the last World Cup has a somewhat outside chance to be considered if Gilchrist plays down the order which is not recommended. The guy has finished 3 world cup finals in a row inside first 10 overs with his dominant batting.

1. Saeed Anwar
2. Jason Roy
3. Ricky Ponting (c)
4. Brian Lara
5. Yuvraj Singh
6. Ben Stokes
7. MS Dhoni
8. Wasim Akram
9. Shaun Pollack
10. Glen McGrath
11. Mutiah Muralitharan
You can't have Roy! He only had one world cup and misses out on the criteria!!!!!

I'm not really angry haha I think Roy did great but he had just one world cup and likely his last.

Tendulkar
Gilchrist
Richards
Ponting
Yuvraj
Stokes
Klusner
Dev
Warne
Lee
Shami

I didn't want to but I have to call this XI out...Shami, Lee and Dev over Akram?? Then you don't even have him in reserves. Klusner somehow makes the XI also. This is the first XI I saw here that almost made me vomit!

It’s a shame that Virat, Babar have no claim to being in this XI despite their numbers.

Sharma with 5 hundreds in the last World Cup has a somewhat outside chance to be considered if Gilchrist plays down the order which is not recommended. The guy has finished 3 world cup finals in a row inside first 10 overs with his dominant batting.

Kohli has multiple good world cups but as you allude to, he can't find a place in a side with Ponting, AB and the likes in the middle order although I saw people including Ponting as opener just to include Kohli but that's not a true XI.

Babar has one very solid CWC under his belt but misses out on my criteria. A second very good world cup and who knows.

I didn't want to but I have to call this XI out...Shami, Lee and Dev over Akram?? Then you don't even have him in reserves. Klusner somehow makes the XI also. This is the first XI I saw here that almost made me vomit!

Do you even know of Shami and Brett Lee’s world cup record? He’s comfortably better than Wasim in world cups.
Dhoni was left out by the same logic otherwise he comes in ahead of Gilchrist.

Kapil Dev was obviously the first name in the sheet. He’s the greatest of all time.

Kohli has multiple good world cups but as you allude to, he can't find a place in a side with Ponting, AB and the likes in the middle order although I saw people including Ponting as opener just to include Kohli but that's not a true XI.

Babar has one very solid CWC under his belt but misses out on my criteria. A second very good world cup and who knows.

The middle order spot is right.
Yuvraj, Klusner, Stokes have sealed up places.

With Tendulkar, Gilchrist, Ponting, Richards out there in too 4 , it’s going to take an 800 runs / 5 centuries + MOTT level World Cup for either of Kohli or Babar to be considered.

1. Adam Gilchrist (wk)
2. Sachin Tendulkar
3. Ricky Ponting (c)
4. Kumar Sangakkara
5. Viv Richards
6. Yuvraj Singh
7. Ben Stokes
8. Wasim Akram
9. Malcolm Marshall
10. Shane Warne
11. Glenn McGrath

So my top 3 pick themselves. Gilchrist is arguably the biggest match winner in world cup big games. Tendulkar the WC run machine and Ponting greatest world cup captain statistically.

I picked Sanga over the likes of AB, Pietersen or Martyn is simply due to massive runs he has scored with back to back fifties. All of the mentioned were part of the losing team with exception of Martyn so it made sense to pick the highest run getter of the lot.

I picked Viv over Inzi. This was a tough decision as Inzi helped in winning '92 WC but after that Inzi struggled big time in world cups. Viv is the most brutal batsman of his era and he has had some very dominating performances in world cups so I chose him.

Yuvraj over Andrew Symonds simply because Yuvi is an incredible batsman and he was particularly lethal with his slow left arm. I would pick left arm bowler over right arm offspinner anyday and also Yuvi has helped India win big games whilst Symonds was more destructive in group games.

Ben Stokes over the likes of Kapil Dev, Imran Khan or Hadlee. To get to top from this list would mean that you are an incredible and once in a lifetime player. Well the world cup Stokes had (infact the year he had) was a strong reason for me to get his name up there.

Wasim Akram over Starc simply because Wasim bhai is class above any left arm pacer. The most gifted fast bowler ever.

Malcolm Marshall I picked over the likes of Donald, Akhtar and Bond. Precisely for chin music and his world cup record is way better than the said bowlers.

Warne over Murali because Warne is a world cup winner and a man of match in world cup final.

McGrath to world cup bowling is what Tendulkar is to world cup batting. He picks himself.

Do you even know of Shami and Brett Lee’s world cup record? He’s comfortably better than Wasim in world cups.

Kapil Dev was obviously the first name in the sheet. He’s the greatest of all time.

Shami is not even in conversation for any of these lists. He was dropped in the World Cup semi final 2019 for a 37 averaging mediocre 128 kmph trundler, Bhuvi Kumar. Shami barely played 4 matches in World Cup, he won't even compete to the 50 best Pakistani pacers of all-time in white ball cricket.

Tendulkar
Gilchrist
Richards
Ponting
Yuvraj
Stokes
Klusner
Dev
Warne
Lee
Shami

Dev over imran? Really?
Shami is great but wouldn't put him over someone like starc, McGrath man. They are a level above in the world cups

Shami is not even in conversation for any of these lists. He was dropped in the World Cup semi final 2019 for a 37 averaging mediocre 128 kmph trundler, Bhuvi Kumar. Shami barely played 4 matches in World Cup, he won't even compete to the 50 best Pakistani pacers of all-time in white ball cricket.
Shami is a phenomenal bowler but him over mcgrath/starc lol

1. Saeed Anwar
2. Sanath Jayasuriya
3. Ponting
4. Viv Richards
5. Javed Miandad
6. Imran Khan (c)
7. Adam Gilchrist
8. Wasim Akram
9. Joel Garner
10. Shoaib Akhtar ( pace is pace yaar)
11. Saqlain

Reserves:
Warne / Murali
Starc
Lara
Dhoni (if gilly is injured)
Lara
Kohli

Shami is a phenomenal bowler but him over mcgrath/starc lol

I am glad to have educated you on this topic.

Wickets (Matches) in ODI world cups :-
Wasim : 55 (38)
Starc : 49 (18)
Zaheer : 44 (23)
Lee : 35 (17)
Shami : 31 (11)

Wasim is literally #5 in that group in terms of wicket taking ability

I am glad to have educated you on this topic.

Wickets (Matches) in ODI world cups :-
Wasim : 55 (38)
Starc : 49 (18)
Zaheer : 44 (23)
Lee : 35 (17)
Shami : 31 (11)

Wasim is literally #5 in that group in terms of wicket taking ability
So even here starc, zaheer are better based on wickets.

It's easy to take cheap wickets which Is mostly what shami does. Great bowler but not in the class of McGrath starc. If he does well in this world cup perhaps he can get there.

So even here starc, zaheer are better based on wickets.

It's easy to take cheap wickets which Is mostly what shami does. Great bowler but not in the class of McGrath starc. If he does well in this world cup perhaps he can get there.

Cheap wickets, how really?
Shami has been a top bowler in two back to back world cups against the best teams.

PS, if Shami takes 20 wickets in this World Cup with an average 15-18 and Starc has an average World Cup, then Shami will retire as the greatest pacers in the history of ODI world cups. He won’t just be competing for a place in the ATG XI

Cheap wickets, how really?
Shami has been a top bowler in two back to back world cups against the best teams.

PS, if Shami takes 20 wickets in this World Cup with an average 15-18 and Starc has an average World Cup, then Shami will retire as the greatest pacers in the history of ODI world cups. He won’t just be competing for a place in the ATG XI
Also need to perform in kos. Any reason why shami despite being so good was dropped for bhuvaneswar? In 2019

Also need to perform in kos. Any reason why shami despite being so good was dropped for bhuvaneswar? In 2019

Because the entire 2019
World Cup campaign was mismanaged from the starting till the end. Whatever wrong they could do they did.

I laughed, great joke!

1- Sachin Tendulkar
2- Adam Gilchrist (wk)
3- Ricky Ponting (captain)
4- Viv Richards
5- Martin Crowe
6- Yuvraj Singh
7- Lance Klusner
8- Imran Khan
9- Shane Warne
10- Mitchell Starc
11- Glenn McGrath

12th man: Sanath Jayasuriya

1.Sachin tendulkar. 2)Adam Gilchrist. (WK) 3)Rickey pointing (c) 4) Virat kohli. 5) viv richards 6) Yuvraj Singh. 7) Ben stokes. 8) Wasim akram. 9) shane Warne 10) muthaiyya Muralitharan. 11) Glen Macgrath. Bottom 4 will complete 10 overs. Yuvi and stokes will complete 5 th bowler option and they are allrounder.

Sachin
Gilchrist
Sangakara
Ponting
Inzimam
Viv Richards
Ben Stokes
Wasim Akram
Shane Warne
Shoaib Akhtar
Mcgrath

1. Kumar Sangakarra (wk)
2. Adam Gilchrist
3. Sachin Tendulkar
4. Viv Richards
5. Inzamam ul Haq
6. MS Dhoni
7. Yuvraj Singh
8. Imran Khan (c)
9. Waqar Younis
10. Wasim Akram
11. Muralitharan

Some very good sides, some atrocious ones but great stuff! Let's see if the upcoming world cup changes anything for anyone...a world cup winning performance for Kohli? Another great world cup for Babar? Maybe an icing on the cake for Starc?

Tendulkar
Gilchrist (wkt)
Kohli
Viv
ABD
Klusenar
Kapil(c)
S Pollock
Wasim
Warne
Bumrah

All varieties covered.

Sachin Tendulkar
Adam Gilchrist (WK)
Ricky Ponting (C)
Vivian Richards
Kumar Sangakkara
Jacques Kallis
Imran Khan
Wasim Akram
Shane Warne
Glenn McGrath
Muttiah Muralitharan

Imran Nazir
Mohammad Hafeez
Kumar Sangakara
Mahela Jayawardena(c)
Brain Lara
Jacque Kallis
Shakib Al Hasan
Wasim Akram
Saeed Ajmal
Muhammad Asif
Shoaib Akhtar

Kumar Sangakkara and Simon Doull pick their best all time XI for ODIs:

Kumar Sangakkara:

"I think his [Wasim Akram] ability to change pace, bowl with the new ball and swing it and seam it and then coming back to through the middle and at the end we saw in the 92 World Cup. The deliveries that he bowled when England were just flying and about to close down a World Cup, when he came in and changed the game. It was incredible,"

"At number 7, you need a consistent performer over a series of World Cups. It's difficult to look beyond Imran Khan. Throughout his career, being a spearhead and the innings he played to change games including that 92 World Cup, so we will have to go with Khan,"

Simon Doull

"The greatest ever left-armer Wasim Akram,"

"I tend to agree with you on that. I just think to pick World Cup without Imran Khan in it. What happened in '92 ands winning of that World Cup, I think the way he led that side and what he offers across a wide range. I think it's not a bad third seamer to have,"

Sangakkara and Doull World Cup XI:

Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Sachin Tendulkar
Ricky Ponting
Viv Richards
Aravinda de Silva
Clive Lloyd
Imran Khan
Wasim Akram
Shane Warne
Muttiah Muralitharan
Glenn McGrath

My fav eleven

Akash chopda
Imam ul haq
Babar Azam
Mohmmad Kaif( pinch hitter)
Mushfiqur Rahim
Shanaka (Captain)
Magala
Ashok Dinda
Munaf Patel ( Asian McGrath)
Nawaz ( match winner)
Pathirana

1. Shahid Afridi
2. Jason Roy
3. Kumar Sangakara (c)
4. Virat Kohli
5. Jacque Kallis
6. Shakib Al Hasan
7. Jos Buttler (wk)
8. Wasim Akram
9. Shoaib Akhtar
10. Wahab Riaz
11. Mutiah Muralitharan

48 years of world tournament witness many great individual performances. These 13 editions of world cup saw many high quality knocks and spells by some of the finest cricketers of all time.

Let's make a team of best performing world cup XI of all time ;

1. Sachin Tendulkar
1992-201145444227815256.95256088.98615224127
No cricket XI is complete without great Sachin Tendulkar. This great batsman from India is the highest run scorer of the world cups, with most number of 50 plus scores. He is the only batsman to top score two separate world cups.

2. Rohit Sharma
2015-202327272152814061.121462104.5176216251
It was tough to select between Warner and Sharma, but i went with Sharma due to his slightly better record. He has most hundreds in world cup history.

3. Ricky Ponting
1996-2011464241743140*45.86218079.9556114531
Second most prolific run scorer in world cups, Ponting won two cups with his captaincy. He is also captain of this XI. His knock in 2003 final is probably the best ever in the history of the event.

4. Viv Richards
23215101318163.31119185.0535-84+22+
Richards was ahead of his time. Look at his average and strike rate, Just unbelievable ! His world cup final century against England in 1979 was stuff of legends. He was also the first player to score 1000 world cup runs.

5. Shakib Al Hasan
363641332124*41.62161982.27211112812
36361808301.231551435/2936.065.1442.0411
Now, this can create some controversy. Shakib is 7th highest highest run scorer along with 11th highest wicket taker in world cups. This should enough to include him in the team as batting allrounder. His stats are too good to ignore.

6. A.B. de Villiers
232231207162*63.521029117.2946412137
He is the wicketkeeper of this side. He was unlucky not to win the trophy, but his legendary world cup performances deserves wide acclaim. Strike rate of 117 in middle and lower order is dream for any captain.

7. Lance Klusener
1411837257124.00307121.17-3-3116
14100.57605487225/2122.134.8227.5011-
Klusener played only two world cups, but he made his mark on the tournament. His performance in 1999 world cup was one of the best individual performance in history of tournament.

8. Mitchell Starc
26261339223.191165596/2819.745.2222.6933
Though he is struggling in the current tournament, no one can ignore his heroics in previous tournaments. He was top wicket taker in consecutive world cup events. But still it was tough to select him over great Wasim Akram.

9. Mohammad Shami
1717828138.012697547/5712.905.0515.3344
Best bowling average, best strike rate, most fifers and four wicket hauls. Best ever figure in knock out match. Fastest to 50 world cup wickets. Stats made him the greatest ever world cup bowler.

10. M Murlitharan
40392061343.3151335684/1919.633.8830.304-
Like Tendulkar, there are very few world XIs where Murali doesn't feature. He took most wickets by any spinner in the world cup history. He played three world cup finals.

11. Glenn McGrath
39391955325.5421292717/1518.193.9627.53-2
Probably the best ever bowler in the history of tournament. Player of tournament in the 2007 world cup, he performed equally well in all three world cups he played in. A true legend!

So, this is the team ;

1. Sachin Tendulkar
  2. Rohit Sharma
  3. Ricky Ponting (Capt)
  4. Viv Richards
  5. Shakib Al Hasan
  6. AB de Villiers (WK)
  7. Lance Klusener
  8. Mitchell Starc
  9. Mohammad Shami
  10. Glenn Mcgrath
  11. M Murlitharan