[PICTURES/VIDEOS] “There is often Dosti Yaari (friendship) with umpires that helps us in domestic cricket”: Faheem Ashraf

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
View attachment 123456.mp4

Faheem Ashraf speaking during a press conference after the Stallions vs Dolphins game:

“In domestic cricket, the good umpires are right in front of you, and they have progressed to the next level. Umpiring in our domestic matches is similar, but there isn't much coverage, so people lack awareness. As a result, it has become evident to everyone how our umpiring is—whether it is good or bad. This is visible to everyone. I can’t say that the umpiring is being done poorly on purpose; those same umpires also make good decisions, and this is clear to all.”

"Now, those who have placed these umpires on the panel should consider their placements carefully because every decision made by the umpires is under public scrutiny. In domestic cricket, there is Dosti Yaari (friendship), so we sometimes escape the scrutiny of umpires, or the umpires do a favor for us. The plain truth is that now there is no friendship; everything is on the screen. You all can see what’s happening; the whole world is watching, and all of Pakistan is aware.”

“Secondly, if a team collapses, the younger players cannot handle the same pressure that our more experienced players can manage. I can say that there is a noticeable difference in how younger players and those with more experience handle pressure.”

Last edited by a moderator:
In domestic cricket, there is Dosti Yaari (friendship), so we sometimes escape the scrutiny of umpires, or the umpires do a favor for us.

And that in a nutshell, is probably we have batters failing at the top level

This is something that has also contributed to Pakistan cricket's downfall, as we no longer prioritize competitive cricket

This is something you are not suppose to tell.

So basically, what happens is that yes Umpires give favors. Favors in terms of not giving a batsman out or not calling a bowlers no ball or even gifting wickets to a bowler.

One of the biggest beneficiary of this was Wahab Riaz. Wahab came from a better family and often he would give lodging facilities to poor umpires and cricketers. So often umpires would not call out his no balls.

I think Shan Masood has also benefitted from such favors aswell.

How is this possible? This is a serious allegation from Faheem.
"or the umpires do a favor for us.".. isn't this a form of corruption? Or something lost in translation ?

So basically, what happens is that yes Umpires give favors. Favors in terms of not giving a batsman out or not calling a bowlers no ball or even gifting wickets to a bowler.

One of the biggest beneficiary of this was Wahab Riaz. Wahab came from a better family and often he would give lodging facilities to poor umpires and cricketers. So often umpires would not call out his no balls.

so basically corruption where umpires give favorable decision in exchange of favors?

so basically corruption where umpires give favorable decision in exchange of favors?
not corruption. Favoritism.

There isnt any monetary exchange taking place. Its just that oh xyz is a powerful person so lets try to keep him happy in hope to get favor in future from him.

Seems bad because this makes domestic performances meaningless.

not corruption. Favoritism.

There isnt any monetary exchange taking place. Its just that oh xyz is a powerful person so lets try to keep him happy in hope to get favor in future from him.
Hmm.. thats bad also. PCB must stamp this out.

Slowly I am starting to understand why Pakistan cricket is falling apart !

This is the most bizarre thing I have heard . I any normal country - the board wud have imposes severe punitive action on the players & umpires involved

Can imagine a flurry of frantic WhatsApp texts now that he has said this.

If truw with Wahab and Shan - there is no place for it in cricket. No matter what country - something like this should be stamped out. My guess is it happens in other SC nations incl Ind but atleast wth Ind AFAIK its more at the lower levels of cricket like clubs or zonals. Its a cancer that needs to be totally removed. Makes a mockery of sports.

If this is true both Wahab & Shan should be permanently banned from cricket. At least that's what wud have happened in Australia / England / India

If truw with Wahab and Shan - there is no place for it in cricket. No matter what country - something like this should be stamped out. My guess is it happens in other SC nations incl Ind but atleast wth Ind AFAIK its more at the lower levels of cricket like clubs or zonals. Its a cancer that needs to be totally removed. Makes a mockery of sports.
This used to happen in India in the 80s & 90s but now no more. BCCI cracked down on any such corruption / fixing / collusion tactics in Ranji trophy after the Hansie Cronje expose

Ajay Sharma who was a prolific scorer in Ranji trophy was apparently involved in such stuff. That's why he was not recalled back to NT even after his prolific run scoring in domestic cricket - bcoz selectors were aware of his shady behind-the-scenes activities. Later he got banned for life

This used to happen in India in the 80s & 90s but now no more. BCCI cracked down on any such corruption / fixing / collusion tactics in Ranji trophy after the Hansie Cronje expose

Ajay Sharma who was a prolific scorer in Ranji trophy was apparently involved in such stuff. That's why he was not recalled back to NT even after his prolific run scoring in domestic cricket - bcoz selectors were aware of his shady behind-the-scenes activities. Later he got banned for life
Oh man - that Ajay Sharma, Azhar , Mongia nexus !! Those were some truly dark days for Ind cricket at the national level until Ganguly took over the reins..

Oh man - that Ajay Sharma, Azhar , Mongia nexus !! Those were some truly dark days for Ind cricket at the national level until Ganguly took over the reins..
Not just Ajay Sharma. There were many such prolific scorers in Ranji in the 80s & 90s who were never selected for India. The unspoken reason was they scored heavily due to " favorable umpires & bowlers "

Another bizarre thing that used to happen was game fixing by 2 teams. Basically 2 teams will collude to produce a result which wud benefit both teams. This became so brazen in 1993-94 season that the BCCI was forced to crackdown

If this is true both Wahab & Shan should be permanently banned from cricket. At least that's what wud have happened in Australia / England / India
Naa you cant.

Because nor wahab or shan are giving them benefits.

Forget wahab or shan, even Misbah, Sarfraz Ahmed, Afridi and Younis Khan would get away with an lbw. Reason being they are senior cricketers, so the umpires will not give them out, out of respect.

Things are messed up in domestic cricket. The victims are the junior cricketers that have to bare all this.

Seniors are given favor in decisions

this statement of faheem shows the actual image of domestic cricket system failure in our country... first players were getting selected within the team on dosti yari culture now umpires are also giving favours.

Pakistan is full of this type of nonsense.

Faheem himself came back into international cricket through his dosti yaari .

When you have weak institutions all sorts of underhand things take place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why didn't Faheem Ashraf capitalize on his batting potential? I recall Sarfaraz Ahmed promoting him to opener in a T20I against New Zealand, but he failed to impress. It left me wondering if he lacked interest in developing his batting skills.

Now dosti yaari has reached to India

jpYvGqj.jpg

gyeXCce.jpg

Back