[PICTURES/VIDEOS] Was Saud Shakeel given out incorrectly?

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Mark Wood to Saud Shakeel:

They check for a clean catch and it looks like Saud Shakeel is gone. Soft signal is out. Short down leg, Saud Shakeel pulls and gloves it, Ollie Pope dives to his right to take the catch. Joel Wilson is the third umpire. Big moment in the game. As Pope took the catch, it seems the ball has touched the grass. Wilson wants another angle. They are zooming it in. "Looks like the fingers have remained under the ball" says Wilson and "one more time" and he gives it out.

==

This decision will probably cost Pakistan the match

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/yd4cig" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

FjwktrWakAA5vf-.jpgFjwktINaEAA6rm0.jpgFjwksk7agAA0LOr.jpg

Last edited:
100% not out.

What poor umpiring to kill a great test match.
If umpire isn't fired after this.

Looks 50 - 50. Soft signal doesn't matter on these calls. It is 100 % Third umpires call

That has to be the worst 3rd umpire decision I’ve ever seen. Unfortunately Pakistan doesn’t have the power and influence to get Joel Wilson fired.

Looks grassed initially and these pictures too grainy. First two pictures clearly grounded?!

Last edited:
Surely not out, the only way it was 'not enough evidence' is if the Umpire was blind. If the umpire was not blind, it was not out and was quite visible to the naked eye.

Definitely not out, even worse call considering soft signal is no longer really a thing.

Was out

Not enough evidence to overturn

Overturn what? Soft signals should not matter in these situations. You clearly saw ball touching the grass, even when he lifted his gloves you can see fingers could not be under the ball.

Anyways, umpire gave it out, that’s what matters in the end.

The first and second frames definitely show the ball touching the ground. How was that given out.

Secondly I don't understand a "soft signal" in scenarios where on field umpires really can't tell for sure if it is a clean catch. The "soft signal" for those uncertainties surely has to be not out.

What a moronic decision.

Seems to me the umpire was playing candy crush saga or something!

:facepalm:

Between 10 minutes left in 1st test draw and this pathetic decision, there will be an asterisk on England's series win.

Anyways, it has been an underwhelming series anyways, especially thanks to the selectors and Rameez Raja.

Looking forward to England's Bazball in Big Boys' backyard (Ind/Aus)!

Overturn what? Soft signals should not matter in these situations. You clearly saw ball touching the grass, even when he lifted his gloves you can see fingers could not be under the ball.

Anyways, umpire gave it out, that’s what matters in the end.

Exactly, when he lifted his gloved then also the fingers were not under the ball, so it was quite obvious that the fingers were not under the ball

As someone here said PCB doesn't have enough power, if this was done against India, BCCI were to ensure this was this lads last decision.

What's the point of DRS?

Wilson seemed to be in a hurry to get to a quick decision or simply didnt want to see the evidence.

drop .jpeg

This is a clearer picture. Poor poor umpiring.

"Not enough evidence to overturn" What a joke of a post.

Either way, umpires decision is final. Joel Wilson has had a few shockers this match and so has Aleem Dar. The complacency is ridiculous.

What a moronic decision.

Seems to me the umpire was playing candy crush saga or something!

:facepalm:

Between 10 minutes left in 1st test draw and this pathetic decision, there will be an asterisk on England's series win.

Anyways, it has been an underwhelming series anyways, especially thanks to the selectors and Rameez Raja.

Looking forward to England's Bazball in Big Boys' backyard (Ind/Aus)!

They will get trounced in India/ Australia or maybe even rsa

England's reticence in reviewing is telling because it was a clear nick. So what was the doubt?.

Umpires use selective images and that's what being fed but that's pretty conclusive to me

Last edited:
I used to think S. Ravi was the worst umpire in the world but I think Joel Wilson has comfortably overtaken him now.

An absolute shocker. Soft signal is meaningless here because the evidence to overturn it is right there infront of your eyes. The ball is touching the ground clear as day.

Not the first time a benefit of the doubt decision has gone against Pakistan at a crucial time. I hope Ramiz has the cajones to take this up with the ICC

David Gower just defended Joel Wilson’s decision. Why do Pakistanis give David the red carpet treatment?

Not the first time a benefit of the doubt decision has gone against Pakistan at a crucial time. I hope Ramiz has the cajones to take this up with the ICC

That would be asking too much of a coward.

A proper noob team almost drew 1st one and have taken the 2nd one down to finishing lines when the coward RR isn't even backing them.

Nobody cares about a poor country’s complaints. Money is the world’s universal language.

I think it should have been given not out. What I'm saying is it was completely Wilson's decision.

Yes; dont know why people are blasting Aleem Dar here. I just read that soft-signals dont matter anymore in such cases and are only in play if the technology is down.

Wilson had to make a decision on his own without the consideration of Aleem Dar's soft signal. To me, it feels that Aleem's decision was on the back of his mind while he was speaking during replays and that bias meant that he failed to read the pictures objectively. I can't believe when the umpires make wrong decision after having the luxury of replays! Incompetence of the highest order.

Catches referred to third umpire often looks grounded. 2D and all. But if there was ever a clear not out decision, this is the one.

Looks 50 - 50. Soft signal doesn't matter on these calls. It is 100 % Third umpires call

I think it should have been given not out. What I'm saying is it was completely Wilson's decision.

Such a lost individual you are. First you postes with your Indian bias. Then when you saw that it was completely idiotic to post this, "it should be given not out".

Such a lost individual you are. First you postes with your Indian bias. Then when you saw that it was completely idiotic to post this, "it should be given not out".

What I meant was these decisions should be given out by the on field umpire and then referred and given out only if it's proven to be decisively out.

If on field umpire gives it out , it will colour the opinion of the 3rd umpire. And that's kind of what has happened.

Anyway, no need to cry about bias when you're one of the most biased posters in the history of PP . It's not my fault fault your favpurote all format batter/captain keeps losing Test matches at home and needs marginal decisions to even compete with opponents. :)

What I meant was these decisions should be given out by the on field umpire and then referred and given out only if it's proven to be decisively out.

If on field umpire gives it out , it will colour the opinion of the 3rd umpire. And that's kind of what has happened.

Anyway, no need to cry about bias when you're one of the most biased posters in the history of PP . It's not my fault fault your favpurote all format batter/captain keeps losing Test matches at home and needs marginal decisions to even compete with opponents. :)
Yeah it was 50-50.
Good luck 👍

There was enough doubt for it to be not out.

Even Popes’s Body language suggested he wasn’t sure himself.

They need to get rid of this soft signal nonsense - I think that played the biggest role in this decision.

Why did they wait to the end to review?. Wilson was forcing himself to give it out!. He's a terrible umpire

This is not out, but you have to be delusional to think that it influenced the outcome of the match.

Saud would have still found a way to get out. This delivery should not have been gloved to the keeper in the first place.

Don’t hide behind some dodgy decision, team is rotten to the core they think it’s acceptable going at 4 rpo in t20s that sums the whole set up of the team.

Saqlain giving Nawaz a hug when he got out to a nothing shot handed the test match over. Need imran/younis khan to beat this team into shape !!

Pakistan players always “nearly do it”. No one actually goes out & does it. Saud falls in the same category.

Then we make excuses. Got unlucky, umpire was biased, wouldn’t have happened against India, ball kept low etc.

Pakistan were 290/5 & still found a way to bottle it. A joke of a team.

It was not out but soft signal was the main problem , it was Aleem Dar's fault.

Umpires also get evaluated by the captains and Aleem Dar was mainly interested in getting good evaluation from English captain to improve his sagging performance and reputation.

The wicket keepers initial reaction gave it away he wasn't sure himself. It was poor from Dar to start which probably influenced Wilson to make the out decision. If Dar gave it not out, it probably wouldn't have been over turned. The soft signal needs to get rid off.

Saying that it was a poor shot was Shakeel. Should have seen out the spell from Wood.

aleem dar gave the soft signal, no way was wilson overturning that on that evidence. was a terrible shot to play given how nawaz had just gotten out. pak players continue to display weak mentalities and bad decision making.

It was out lol.

Clutching at straws, the reason you lost this test is due to rubbish fast bowling.

Ah, a batsman on 94 being given out incorrectly with c60 runs to get didn’t influence the outcome of the match. Right 🤣

Aleem Dar to start with has been pathetic throughout the test and to top that the Third Umpire is either blind or Cant differentiate between green and Red thing in Keepers gloves ... i mean how much evidence did he need there ?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Shocking decision…<a href="https://twitter.com/saudshak?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@saudshak</a> wasn’t out in my opinion &#55358;&#56596; <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PakvsEng2022?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#PakvsEng2022</a></p>— Kamran Akmal (@KamiAkmal23) <a href="https://twitter.com/KamiAkmal23/status/1602196157811269632?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 12, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Pakistan legend Waqar Younis said in commentary, "Saud Shakeel was clearly not out", while England great Michael Atherton agreed, saying "a bit of the ball was touching the grass".

Looked not out for me.

Big call which may have cost Pakistan the match.

It was a very iffy call. hard to say whether the fingers were underneath the ball as they were not visible on the camera angle. I guess the third ump went with the soft signal because there was no conclusive evidence to overturn it

It was not out but it didn't influence the outcome as England would have won anyway. We were in a reasonable position at 290-5 but still found a way to collapse (just like in the first innings)

Wilson overruled Alam Dar decision in the first innings when bat and pad were close and Alam Dar could not believe it.

Yes; dont know why people are blasting Aleem Dar here. I just read that soft-signals dont matter anymore in such cases and are only in play if the technology is down.

Wilson had to make a decision on his own without the consideration of Aleem Dar's soft signal. To me, it feels that Aleem's decision was on the back of his mind while he was speaking during replays and that bias meant that he failed to read the pictures objectively. I can't believe when the umpires make wrong decision after having the luxury of replays! Incompetence of the highest order.

There's been no changes to the ICC playing conditions regarding soft signals, the third umpire still needs conclusive evidence to overrule a soft signal.

Didn't look out to me. Joel Wilson & Dharmasena are well known to give many decision in England's favor and i have seen alot in 2019 worldcup, 2019 ashes.

I think Pakistan got unlucky with this one.
For me it was not out.

Admittedly “live” it did look out to me at first, but there was surely enough subsequent evidence on the video replay to overturn the soft signal and give that appeal not out.

I’m not sure if Saud staying in longer would have affected the match result, because England had settled on the leg side short pitched plan with Mark Wood taking the new ball and they had already got Nawaz out with it, so Saud who looked vulnerable to it as well could have fallen at a different time.

But it should have been given not out.
England got lucky here.
It didn’t “cause” England to win, but it certainly helped them along the way.

It's a terrible decision!!

Yes, it had a massive impact on the game.

Agha didn't look bad at the crease and if he had Saud for support, Pak would have won.

I don't know how you can get it so wrong.

It was clearly not out, Pope is collecting the ball from the ground

Pathetic shot to fell for the trap not once , twice. Poor umpiring in this test at many places..

Surely not out, the only way it was 'not enough evidence' is if the Umpire was blind. If the umpire was not blind, it was not out and was quite visible to the naked eye.

This!

Before scooping the ball up, it was clearly on the grass for couple of seconds, this is why technology was brought in to eliminate such decisions. They turned the match on it's head and Pakistan can very rightly feel they were pretty much cheated out by an incompetent decision (or upmire). All those Indians saying 50-50, just one question: Are you blind?

See this in slo mo

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.000%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/wccm3j" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Firstly it wasn’t out, even a blind man could see this, and to suggest we’d of lost regardless is completely nonsense!

Doesn't matter in your heart of hearts all Pakistan supporters know still would have choked it.

Back