Pin-drop silence when the opposition does well - and we as fans are supposed to accept that as "that's how it is in India"?

My issue is not about the silence or cheering, that’s completely fine.

But there should be a sizeable crowd supporting the opposition team also. Of course home team has the vast majority, but in this WC it feels like 100% home crowd and that is not easy for the other team, but that’s how things stand.

But the for the neutral matches there has been support for both teams and crowd has applauded good cricket. Remember Fakhar’s innings against Kiwis, the noise after every Six was amazing.

But there should be a sizeable crowd supporting the opposition team also. Of course home team has the vast majority, but in this WC it feels like 100% home crowd and that is not easy for the other team, but that’s how things stand.

But the for the neutral matches there has been support for both teams and crowd has applauded good cricket. Remember Fakhar’s innings against Kiwis, the noise after every Six was amazing.

I was part of that crowd and we cheered everything even though it was mostly a pro NZ crowd.

But you won't get that in a match involving India.

In neutral matches , crowds have cheered everyone , including PAK

There is pin drop silence only when Pakistan does well on the soil of India. For Afghanistan and other teams, they cheer up. I will never understand this biasness from Gujarat's crowd.

Please note I'm only talking about Gujarat's crowd.

After all those history, cheering AFG and pin drop silence seems very basic and simple to understand.

Last edited by a moderator:
India is a vast country. Every state has its own culture, way of living etc. This habit of clapping on others success will be found in south and north east states. In North or mid North states, you won't find many clapping for opposition.
Even that is not true in all cases. You will find a low percentage there clapping for opposition for sure.

My take is that it's not a crime to be silent when opponent does well. If someone claps, well and good. If not, I won't hold it against him/her.

Thank God for a sensible question!

When I go and watch a match where Pakistan are playing, I cheer like mad for my team. But then Virat Kohli or Kane Williamson plays this stupendous shot and I will instinctively clap.

It will require a lot of self-control to hold my hands apart!
Good reply.
The main question on this thread is one that i always wonder about, being an indian fan. yes, i agree we should be more appreciative when an opposition scores a boundary or a 6 or takes an indian wicket.
But this whole thing is also supremely exagerrated. If you check highlights of the semifinals - Mitchell's 50 and 100, KW's 50 was applauded warmly.
I feell the fact that indian crowds do not clap every opposition boundary, 6 or an indian wicket is not so much dis respect of the opposition efforts or unsportsman like behaviours but more an indifference. Its almost like 'ohh, did they hit a boundary/6....oh nooo...ok - lets move on to the next ball and hope our guys get a better result' and this happens every ball across venues. yeah, its surprising to me as well as an indian fan
It may not have come through on this WC but on a lot of test matches or blietarals - a lot of opposition efforts were applauded much more than this...i mean guys like AD De v or Gayle were cheered almost likeone of our own....
There's a lot more abuse from aus or Eng crowds that you guys do not create threads about.
Eng soccer crowds -even the touring crowds in any event -the less said the better.
Why dont you comment on the rowdiness of Aussie Footy crowds, or even at times aussie cricket crowds?
And lastly, its not that your crowds are the gold standard in appreciation of an opponents efforts -the sole example being india's 2004 and 2005 tours which i agree those were exemplary but the outlier.
There are several examples of our guys getting lot less than sportsmanlike treatment when touring your neck of the woods, so frankly, get off the high horse.

There is pin drop silence only when Pakistan does well on the soil of India. For Afghanistan and other teams, they cheer up. I will never understand this biasness from Gujarat's crowd.

Please note I'm only talking about Gujarat's crowd.

When did Pakistan play against any team other than India in Gujarat.

Btw Gujarat crowd isn't local. Tickets for each game are sold to people all over India. Thousands travelled from different states.

lol, what a weird take man. In football do you expect the home crowd to applaud a goal from the opponent team?

I am happy as long as the crowd shows appreciation if there is a milestone or something but otherwise, if Warner is smashing Shami to bits, it'd be idiotic for an Indian fan to clap and cheer.

Also I think CA and ECB need to get this sorted for their fans. They need to engage BCCI and ensure their fans get enough of an opportunity to represent their team in the stadium. I can understand the ticketing process here isn't the easiest for locals let alone for someone travelling from UK or Australia.

lol, what a weird take man. In football do you expect the home crowd to applaud a goal from the opponent team?

I am happy as long as the crowd shows appreciation if there is a milestone or something but otherwise, if Warner is smashing Shami to bits, it'd be idiotic for an Indian fan to clap and cheer.

Also I think CA and ECB need to get this sorted for their fans. They need to engage BCCI and ensure their fans get enough of an opportunity to represent their team in the stadium. I can understand the ticketing process here isn't the easiest for locals let alone for someone travelling from UK or Australia.
Cricket is a gentlemen's game.

Aren't some Indian venues even pro Pakistan as well? So it depends on venue , but I guess Gujrat to be very biased toward Indian team.

If there's one team that can handle the pressure against India in India against all odds, it's Australia. Australian players are at their best when they are hostile which hasn't been the case in some years (against India)

Sorry mate this is colonial mindset. Colonisers used to consider themselves as civilised and gentle and third world nations as savages.

Nothing wrong being passionate. What's wrong would be being disrespectful and rude to opposition. No way staying quite is on the same lines.

My own observation from watching, and the matchgoing Indian fans can correct me, is it depends on the city and the opposition players.

The southern cities seem less overtly partisan than up north. It's not that they're any less supportive of India but are more willing to vocalise their appreciation for the opposition. We saw the stark contrast between the reception that Pakistan got in Hyderabad and Ahmedabad at this World Cup.

During the 1996 World Cup QF in Bangalore, the height of the 90s cricket craze in the subcontinent, there's mostly pindrop silence during Saeed Anwar and Aamer Sohail's blazing opening partnership but notice the applause for Anwar at 12:20 and 13:00 even in such a tense clash.

If the fans have a soft spot for the player they will applaud. AB de Villiers and Chris Gayle had their names chanted even in matches vs India.

Every cricket crowd around the world has this dichotomy of gentlemen and idiots and India's no different.

My take on this- India is a country with the highest number of fans, in fact, easily more than fans of all other countries combined. We are a cricket crazy nation no doubt, but in my opinion, we are more specifically an “Indian cricket” crazy nation.
During earlier decades, there would be a few spectators who would clap on a good shot by an opposition batsman, or a milestone achievement by him. But over the years as those fans would have gotten older and stopped going to the stadiums to watch, lesser of those fans are around. Of course, some cities have a greater proportion of “cricket fans” to “Indian-cricket fans” so at some venues you’ll see some appreciation for good cricket by the opposition.

But the most important fact is that cricket is close to people’s hearts. They want their team to win. And when that seems to be slipping away they go quiet. I’m sure they’ll clap if Babar scores 100(135) chasing 450 because that’ll be no threat, but there’ll be a pin drop silence if Fakhar scores a 100(70).
Another factor that I think has contributed to the Indian fan partisanship is IPL. With all the marketing and messaging around these matches making them sound like a war, it is bound to affect people’s psyche. Like it or not, our behavior and perspective is influenced by what is fed to our senses day in and day out.

As far as the question of right and wrong is concerned, I personally do not think it is either when I talk about others. It’s everyone’s own perspective. How can I decide how people should feel about their team or any other! My own perspective is that I clap when I see good cricket regardless of who played it. I may not like it, but a good shot or a good ball remains just that. And yes, I love it when I see those people inside Lords stand up to clap for a good performance, but if they didn’t I wouldn’t bother. Let fans be fans.

Absolutely love Indian crowd. The passion with which they support the Indian cricket team around the globe is unreal. Their role is to be the 12th man and they do that perfectly. Other teams can only dream of such un-conditional die hard support, especially the drab "sophisticated" supporters you find in the SENA countries.

Pretty sure Cummins would want the Aussie crowd to emulate Indian crowds ... it makes a difference.

That’s been one of the downsides to the Indian matches that pin drop silence. If for example the game is played in England where there is support for both teams it’s a much better atmosphere.
Watch England's football crowd. Cricket is not the main sports there, unlike India. We do appreciate opposition's fifty/hundreds with limited applause though. If India is playing, no need to give any inch to opposition.

I am asking as fan and citizen of the world to challenge status quo.
Its difficult to change it. We are a country of over a billion and the culture and mindset of people vary from state to state. We have the cricket crazy fans in Kolkata who almost burned down the Eden Gardens in 1996 WC while we also have the Chennai crowd that gave a standing ovation to Paksitan after the 1999 test. But the standard thing is you will not get opposition appreciation during match but if its a good game they may get after the match. Frankly speaking if I was in the stadium I would also be stunned to silence if the opposition went berserk like Kane and Mitchell did for a brief while. I would be too tensed to even think about appreciating the shots.

Imagine Aussies beating India tomorrow.

We can witness 100,000+ silent fans.
Not just the 132000 fans but over a billion fans will go into shock. 2003 was such a heartbreak but neither is this team the Indian team of 2003 nor is this Aussie team the mighty team led by Ponting. So hoping for a week of jubiliation all over India.

Imagine Aussies beating India tomorrow.

We can witness 100,000+ silent fans.

It would be pin drop silence for long long time.

Modern Indian fan can be passionately fickle and very demanding.
there are a few who do like to watch a great game whichever way it goes, but most people think they have issued a purchase order to Indian team and now Rohit and team better deliver the World Cup on a platter because that’s what they are paid to do 😂

Not just the 132000 fans but over a billion fans will go into shock. 2003 was such a heartbreak but neither is this team the Indian team of 2003 nor is this Aussie team the mighty team led by Ponting. So hoping for a week of jubiliation all over India.

Depends on how the game pans out. Deep down everyone knows there is a 30 to 40% chance India can lose this one. It's okay. India had a fantastic campaign. No complaints.

It would be pin drop silence for long long time.

Modern Indian fan can be passionately fickle and very demanding.
there are a few who do like to watch a great game whichever way it goes, but most people think they have issued a purchase order to Indian team and now Rohit and team better deliver the World Cup on a platter because that’s what they are paid to do 😂
Indian fans are not as united as you think. There are already fights going on about who is more valuable to India. Rohit or KOhli. Both fans are slinging mud at each other. In between mud at MSD. Kohli fans are frustrated that Kohli couldn't do this in 2019.

Reactions: OMB
Thank God for a sensible question!

When I go and watch a match where Pakistan are playing, I cheer like mad for my team. But then Virat Kohli or Kane Williamson plays this stupendous shot and I will instinctively clap.

It will require a lot of self-control to hold my hands apart!
Indian crowd is like soccer crowds in Europe and NBA/NFL crowds in US. Very partisan. Good thing is they aren't violent. They used to be but have now have evolved.

No one has stopped Aussie crowds to visit India and watch the final. They don't care as much

No one has stopped Aussie crowds to visit India and watch the final. They don't care as much
If Australia vs India final were to be at MCG i am sure Indians will outnumber Aussies there as well. India vs Zimbabwe match had an attendance of 87000.

The Aus team wont care one but. Seriously why do people make a issue of this?
Australia and India meet way too many times in one format or the other. People kinda know what to expect from each team. That is why most of the Indian fans are more relaxed. If it were Pakistan nervousness will skyrocket. More than winning, not losing will take the precedence due to bragging rights. With Australia there is no such thing. Australia beating any side in a final shouldn't shock anyone. Even the hot favorites.

Australia and India meet way too many times in one format or the other. People kinda know what to expect from each team. That is why most of the Indian fans are more relaxed. If it were Pakistan nervousness will skyrocket. More than winning, not losing will take the precedence due to bragging rights. With Australia there is no such thing. Australia beating any side in a final shouldn't shock anyone. Even the hot favorites.
As cool as we'd have liked to play it, if it were Pakistan tomorrow, would have been nerves of another level :dhoni

Oh my God the tension!
I think Indian fans would've been more concerned about losing and so the tenser of the two sets. Pakistani fans would've gotten obsessed with the ground, the name of the stadium and be like maniacs wanting to win rather than tense lol. Indians would've been sweaty hands types.

My own observation from watching, and the matchgoing Indian fans can correct me, is it depends on the city and the opposition players.

The southern cities seem less overtly partisan than up north. It's not that they're any less supportive of India but are more willing to vocalise their appreciation for the opposition. We saw the stark contrast between the reception that Pakistan got in Hyderabad and Ahmedabad at this World Cup.

During the 1996 World Cup QF in Bangalore, the height of the 90s cricket craze in the subcontinent, there's mostly pindrop silence during Saeed Anwar and Aamer Sohail's blazing opening partnership but notice the applause for Anwar at 12:20 and 13:00 even in such a tense clash.

If the fans have a soft spot for the player they will applaud. AB de Villiers and Chris Gayle had their names chanted even in matches vs India.

Every cricket crowd around the world has this dichotomy of gentlemen and idiots and India's no different.

Im from southern India. From Bangalore to be specific. We applauded Fakhars ton vs NZ and all his sixes maybe not as much as we appreciated Williamson and Rachin but there was plenty of appreciation for the cricket .

Won't be the case in an India match . If Fakhar had hit those sixes against India, it would be absolutely silent .

There a newspaper article mentioning hotel rooms are going for 2 lac rupees in Ahmedabad. Ticket for game probably in same range. That's approx. $3000 US. If opposition can afford it they can come to ground. Its not as if India public is sold tickets at discounted price.
In last T20 WC at Melbourne, it was still a sea of blue at MCG for India games. Indians dished out the big $$$$ for supporting their team and Melbourne business profited. Even then the room tariffs of hotels in Melbourne were hiked almost 500% and even then it was difficult to get a room.
Basically it boils down to $$$. Indian fans love their cricket and are ready to open up their purses to support their team. Other country fans do not do that . That's one of the reasons BCCI is richest board because TV rights are also sold based on this demand.

I think Indian fans would've been more concerned about losing and so the tenser of the two sets. Pakistani fans would've gotten obsessed with the ground, the name of the stadium and be like maniacs wanting to win rather than tense lol. Indians would've been sweaty hands types.

I would have been sitting with a BP monitor.

Let me say that I have not seen a single instance that any of the pakistani fans have cheered their opposition (forget India) when they play against oppositions.

Again - I don’t see the obsession with so-called sporting crowds. There is absolutely no reason why a home crowd should cheer for the opposition players.

Hostile crowds are a big part of sporting events as long as they don’t interfere with the play and are not violent.

Cricketers and cricket fans are too soft. Pat Cummins is right - there is nothing more satisfying than silencing a hostile crowd.

Mickey Arthur cried about lack of dil dil Pakistan in the stadium on October 15, but he should be crying about the missed opportunity of silencing 120,000 people.

If Pakistan had the talent and the skill they would have beaten India and there would have been pin drop silence in the stadium. As cricketers these are the moments you should be playing for provided that you have the mental strength and tenacity.

Imagine the visuals of Babar doing too Bumrah, Siraj and Kuldeep what Rohit did to Shaheen, Rauf and Shadab. Unfortunately he doesn’t have the ability to do so.

So don't accept. Who is bothered?
... and what other option does the naysayers got?

If Australia vs India final were to be at MCG i am sure Indians will outnumber Aussies there as well. India vs Zimbabwe match had an attendance of 87000.
That would have made Zim legs turn to jelly

Indian fans are not as united as you think. There are already fights going on about who is more valuable to India. Rohit or KOhli. Both fans are slinging mud at each other. In between mud at MSD. Kohli fans are frustrated that Kohli couldn't do this in 2019.
I never said anything about unity. Just fickle minded and very demanding

To be honest, I am rooting for India for purely cricketing reasons.

So I want Indian fans to be happy but just don't like this silent treatment business.
I don’t like it too. Times changing too fast for my liking in a lot of things

I've always been a believer that if you pay for your ticket, you can support or not support the team as you like within the norms of society.

You can cheer, boo, and even taunt players as long as you're not being racist, violent, or obscene. The same goes for those who start throwing items onto the ground or setting fires in the stands as seen in the past. That's simply unacceptable behavior and should get you tossed out (and maybe even arrested).

Everything else is fair game.

Of course, it's nice to see the way English crowds celebrate both sides but Indian cricket fans add their own flavor to how cricket is watched. I don't mind it too much.

As Cummins said, there's a real appeal to hearing a home crowd go quiet in big games.

I've always been a believer that if you pay for your ticket, you can support or not support the team as you like within the norms of society.

You can cheer, boo, and even taunt players as long as you're not being racist, violent, or obscene. The same goes for those who start throwing items onto the ground or setting fires in the stands as seen in the past. That's simply unacceptable behavior and should get you tossed out (and maybe even arrested).

Everything else is fair game.

Of course, it's nice to see the way English crowds celebrate both sides but Indian cricket fans add their own flavor to how cricket is watched. I don't mind it too much.

As Cummins said, there's a real appeal to hearing a home crowd go quiet in big games.
Yes Cummins has right attitude.
Best noise to earn is that pin drop silence. don’t think equivalent of dil dil Australia will be played much.

You watch any other sport Football, Rugby etc there’s always pin drop silence when the opposition scores / tries. Heck, the majority Irish crowd were singing over the All Blacks haka at the recent RWC in France.

Cricket is the only sissy sport where there’s this expectation for the crowd to clap for every run/wicket regardless of whether it’s the home team or not. It adds to the atmosphere IMO when an opposition silences a home crowd.

It's a sport and fans cheer for their own players & teams. They are not obliged to cheer for the opposition beating up on their team & players. Sports throughout the world is like this and players live for big moments where they can dominate and silence the crowd.

Can people quit saying this nonsense. It's a sport and fans cheer for their own players & teams. They are not obliged to cheer for the opposition beating up on their team & players. Sports throughout the world is like this and players live for big moments where they can dominate and silence the crowd.

I think the expectation here is not to cheer opposition over your own team, just that after the initial silence (which is natural) at least applaud their major milestone performances. Needn’t cheer every shot.

And for people who quote football and rugby, please, they are not gold standard to be emulated as far as fan behavior is concerned. What they do doesn’t justifies what we do.
Hooliganism has resulted in deaths of fans on, clubs have been deprived from participation in Champions league.

I know for a fact how Gill was abused badly in social media for outdoing Kohli's 100 and eliminating RCB in the IPL. Gill is celebrated only when he plays for India in Bengaluru. When he plays against RCB at Bengaluru he won't be cheered on. Infact Rohit was called "vada pav "vada pav" by a large group of RCB fans. Players are professional enough to take it with a grain of salt.

I live in Sydney. Aussies even youngsters are more interested in Test Matches. They will flock for a test match and will be in equal numbers when there is a india match too.For white ball format,they will be easily outnumbered by sub continental fans

I think the expectation here is not to cheer opposition over your own team, just that after the initial silence (which is natural) at least applaud their major milestone performances. Needn’t cheer every shot.

And for people who quote football and rugby, please, they are not gold standard to be emulated as far as fan behavior is concerned. What they do doesn’t justifies what we do.
Hooliganism has resulted in deaths of fans on, clubs have been deprived from participation in Champions league.
The crowd gave a standing ovation to Mitchell when he scored his hundred in the semi final.

So wait what are fans supposed to do? If a match was in Pakistan and I was in attendance I would cheer like hell for Pakistan. But if the opposition is doing well especially in a game as big as a final I would be dead quiet not because I hate the other team rather because the instant natural response would be so since my fav team is losing.. the only difference about India which I agree with is that the crowd is 99% indian as opposed to other countries like England, Australia , Carribean etc.

However we can’t react negatively to indian crowd just because they are fans of their team. If they start to insult the other team then that’s a different story

Gill was removed by Starc and here it comes. A pin-drop silence. Much expected. as India is playing and home crowd will be quiet as it is a big final.

I like it, it’s more fun this way. Silence on a cricket ground is a sight to behold

@MenInG Do you clap and appreciate when bowlers dismiss batsman whom you're supporting?

@MenInG Do you clap and appreciate when bowlers dismiss batsman whom you're supporting?

I will be honest, with bowling, u can only show one emotion - and that is usually reserved for your team

So answer is no

But when batting and they play some super shot, I will applaud - may not go mad but I will certainly not be silent.

Last edited:
The crowd reaction probably just hurts the Indian cricket team. Imagine playing a very important game and you have the backing of the ground, but as soon as things go wrong, the crowd disappears and no longer shows support for you.

When the team is down, that’s when you need the crowd support the most.

So grant visas to Australian supporters and let them cheer for their team.

I hardly see any Aussie supporter

Maybe not complete silence...

TDIDtMZ.png

Think the pin-drop thing not helping the home-side.

Usually pin drop silence when India lose games at home, im surprised they have started burning stadium down like 96 semi final loss.

I want the crowd to start going home now. It will be epic for the Aussies to receive the world cup trophy in an empty stadium.

Babar and his band of mental midgets should take cue from these aussies: best way to silence this Indian crowd is to sink their team and absolutely trash them.

This is what the aussies are doing.

The name of the team that I support is no secret, but one thing that I always enjoy about watching cricket in England is acknowledging and applauding a good effort by the opposition, particularly a milestone score from an individual batsman. There will be standing ovations for many players who do not play for England. This is a special and unique sport, and quality should always be recognised.

The name of the team that I support is no secret, but one thing that I always enjoy about watching cricket in England is acknowledging and applauding a good effort by the opposition, particularly a milestone score from an individual batsman. There will be standing ovations for many players who do not play for England. This is a special and unique sport, and quality should always be recognised.

English crowds have always been sporting, but I feel becoming more multicultural would help subcontinent grow up much more as sporting venues. This tournament hasn't really felt like a world cup, you know if it was held in Australia or England there would have been much better atmosphere.

English crowds have always been sporting, but I feel becoming more multicultural would help subcontinent grow up much more as sporting venues. This tournament hasn't really felt like a world cup, you know if it was held in Australia or England there would have been much better atmosphere.

In a World Cup in England you are guaranteed big crowds and a good atmosphere in most of the games as well as a national buzz. I know the weather can be a bit dodgy but it’s still one of the best venues for cricket.

Gujrat is filled with ultra-nationalists and the Hindutva so it was amazing seeing the saffron shirts choke in front of 100,000 fanboys and fangirls.

After their behavior towards a man with the class of Rizwan, these losers deserved to empty their bank accounts just to see Australia celebrate in front of them.

Poor Siraj was crying because you can just imagine the amount of hate, the two Muhammads of the Indian team will face. Despite them being at no fault.

A very poor crowd. Such a muted World Cup celebrations. Travis walks back, no standing ovation.

This is not a place you would want to see an ICC final at.

Maybe I'm looking at it through rose tinted glasses but I'm sure at some point in history the crowds in India used to be a lot happier and sporting. The crowds in Gujarat especially seem to emanate a sullen vibe which makes this feel less like a sport and more like a political event.

What i find funny is that there are making Indian map drone images in the modi stadium with Pakistani land also on that map as part of India.

Bhai, do such dramaybazi when you actually win something. Looks pathetic when you on the losing side.
Don't worry, I'm sure Pakistan will repay the pettiness during the 2025 CT.

Back