Player(s) who could light up the ICC World Cup 2023

happydavy

Local Club Captain
Runs
Every world cup there are players who show amazing form through the world cup and win their teams important games consistently. Ever since ICC started handing out player of the tournament reward, it has often been won by players whom most won't have picked up as a lead candidate at the start of the world cup. Whether Jayasurya in 1996, Klusener in 1999 or Yuvi in 2011 or even Starc in 2015, they managed to surprise everyone with their consistent match winning performances through our the tournament. So who would be the top candidates this time around?

My pick - Ben Stokes, Gill and Steve Smith. I am counting on these guys to score 700+ runs.

David Warner to sign off from ODIs with another banger 500+ run tournament

Bas de Leede Dutch cricketer I think he do well in this world cup and hardik pandya to

Gill _ Early MOTT contender
Stokes _ playing to earn GOAT status
Shaheen _ MOTT contender

David Warner to sign off from ODIs with another banger 500+ run tournament
Actually 500ish isn't good enough to stand out this time around with minimum 9 matches and max 11 matches. I think there will be atleast 3 players with 650+ runs - Devon Conway could also be there

For me, those players will include Kohli, Gill, Klassen, Kuldeep, Shaheen and Babar. Relling looking forward to that Indo-Pak Clash. It will be a banger.

Fast bowlers are not going to create any significant impact there but yeah its going to be a memorable worldcup for batsmen because of the flat surfaces.

I think Babar or Shubman any one them could become a star player in this worldcup.

I think Gill, Virat, Shaheen, and Babar are the ones I will be looking for to make a huge impact. This World Cup is gonna be a huge one, Much bigger then the 2011 one.

My top 3 picks are Shubhman Gill, Babar Azam and Kuldeep Yadav.

I think these players may have a great time:

Adil Rashid
Kuldeep Yadav
David Miller
Ben Stokes
Jos Butler
Mitchell Marsh.

Salman Ali Agha will be the top scorer for Pakistan and the break through player at this World Cup. He will out perform, Imam, Babar and Rizwan

Record Alert Fastest Hundreds in ODI World Cup (by balls)

Aiden Markram smashed fastest ever century in ICC ODI World Cup History

He played wonderful innings of 106 off 54 , 3 sixes and 14 fours
1696681749666.png

1697012052941.png
2 matches in 1 day at ICC World Cup 2023, we have 5 centurions. Some sensational innings we have seen.

Imo these are the players who have lightened up the world cup so far. (NO I'm not including baseless centuries, I'm including match winning performances)

1) Muhammad rizwan (cemented himself as the best innings a pakistani WK batsmen has played in a world cup)

2) Devon conway and Rachin Ravindra (Match winning hammering to England and took revenge for last world cup final)

3) aiden Markram (Properly hammered and outbatted Sri Lankan opposition)

4) Matt henry: He's been the bowler of the tournament so far easily, maybe not in wickets but the line and length has been 🔥

5) Kusal mendis: He hasn't won anything for his team unfortunately but has been playing 🔥 knocks.

No good bowling performances so far atm lol besides matt Henry.

Honorable mentions

1) Abdullah Shafiq: Solid 100, but he isn't here because he got out at a time where required rr was still 7 and had rizzu departed we would have lost. Good innings but needs to learn to take teams home.

2) Malan: Again excellent 140, but nothing out of the ordinary, I kinda expected he'd bash Bangladesh, still an honorable mention though.

3) Quinton and van der dussan: Good 100's but they got overshadowed by markram thay day.

This is a Kockworldcup and we are living in a Kockworld.

He’s just hammering everyone one by one

He is underrated, but the 21-year old Gurbaz has been on fire this World Cup. Nice to see him make this list

1697361815612.png

1697527357200.png
Who do think will be on top after the league stage ends? One of these 5 or somebody else?

Don't follow NZ cricket all that much - but Ravindra is a total surprise package for me.
Was he always a number 3 batsmen ?

We all knew Sharma would bat great on flat wickets so no surprise there, the same goes for QDK but seeing Conways growth as an attacking batsman over the last couple years carry into the CWC has been phenomenal, as has been seeing every Santner can do and also seeing his growth from a T20 pro into an ODI all round package.

Rizwan has been spectacular also, and I'm one of those who thought he needed to be dropped for a while.

The bowling has had its fair share of stars too, already mentioned Santner but no one has produced THAT kind of spell or performance. Some consistency from Henry, Rabada, Bumrah and Ali though.

This is based on a minimum of 100 balls bowled. Who would have though Nabi would be on this list

JQtlVx4.png

I don't think anyone has mentioned Gurbaz in this thread yet but he is having a really good tournament as well and he has made a really important contribution in both Afghanistan wins.

QDK is having a great time in this World Cup. Already scored more than 400 runs in 5 matches with 3 centuries.

Quinton De Kock is in Red hot form. I am anxiously waiting for India vs RSA clash. It is going to be inconic match.

So far, these 3 players have done the best:

1) Quinton De Kock.
2) Kohli.
3) Santner.

Now Maxwell has record of fastest century in history of ICC ODI World Cup

IMG-20231025-WA0031.jpg

Spinners lighting up the World Cup at the moment. Zampa is on the top.

1698300907595.png

Quinton de Kock is leading the batting charts and he can further increase his gap at the top tomorrow when South Africa play against Pakistan.

YD4zY8q.png

Batters who have light up the World Cup this year :-

Rohit Sharma
Virat Kohli
Quinton de kock
Heinrich Klaasen
Aiden Markram
KL Rahul
Mohammad Rizwan

Many were not taking the name of Travis Head but as soon as he is back from injury, he played a belter of an innings today and joined the list of fastest centuries in this World Cup in his first match.

1698486772245.png

Rachin Ravindra seems to be getting better with every game as he climbs up to number 3 spot in terms of top runs scorers in this World Cup after his brilliant innings of 116 against Australia today.

gkdD57A.png

1 more Klassen Firework due in this group games.

Most probably against India i guess!

Shami - 14 wickets (Avg 6 SR 9)

Simply a cracking performance in 3 ODIs he has played.

Back