Poor Umpiring affecting my confidence

King_Rizzy

PPCL Hall of Famer
Runs
So far in our cricket season we've had around 50% of our matches called off due to rain. Weather has also caused a reduction in our training net sessions.

Towards the beginning of the season, I hit a glorious hundred, but that seems a very very long time ago.

We've had 5 of our last 6 games called off (one of which we managed to bat but once we finished it started raining so it was a draw).

The last 3 times I've batted, I've had extremely poor umpiring decisions go against me. I've been out run out, when I was clearly in my crease and nobody even appealed. Then I was given out LBW when the ball hit me towards the top of my thigh, and whilst there was an appeal from only the bowler, it was not even half an appeal.

Two days ago, this 15 year old kid was bowling. I came in on a hat-trick ball, although the last guy shouldn't have been given out as he was caught on the boundary and the fielders foot was on the rope. Anyway, I came in, the ball was no where near the edge of my bat, but because it was a hat-trick ball, everyone except the bowler appealed and the umpire was pressured into giving it out and he did. When I asked the bowler was it out during the break, he said no.

All of this has really affected by confidence and has started playing on my mind. The lack of cricket due to the weather doesn't help things either.

Just thought I'd ask on here on how to handle this situation.

pray for your luck, that you get more cricket to play and the umpire doesn't give decisions against you.:razzaq

Seriously i don't feel there is anything you can do except patience.
Wait for your time and you will get your form back.

I prefer to think that umpiring errors tend to even themselves out. Soon enough, you'll get some luck and be given not out when you've edged or are plumb in front.

On another note, I was batting on Saturday, I open for my club, and we were chasing 113 in 45 overs (plus an additional 9 overs as we bowled the opposition out so quickly). The pitch was terrible due to the bad weather and some were popping up and hitting my helmet, others were keeping low etc.

Anyway, we batted very slowly to make sure we got the runs, our batting lineup isn't great and I didn't want to risk going for it, losing my wicket, and starting a collapse. So we ended up on 114 for 3 after almost 40 overs, and I finished unbeaten on 54.

During the innings the fielders were obviously getting very annoyed at our slow approach, so there were lots of comments from them, which never affect me anyway as I just ignore it. However, when I was at the non-strikers end, the umpire started having a go at me! He said "this is like watching paint dry" and told me that it wasn't really that tough to bat on, it was all just in our minds, and that we've completely wasted the extra overs we had etc etc.

This really annoyed me. I don't think an umpire has any business saying things like that, and I genuinely feel like making a complaint to the league about him. It got me VERY conscious about the ball hitting my pads etc because I just had a feeling he would give me out to get rid of me. Fortunately it didn't come to that, but I still want to make a complaint or something.

Last edited:
Not much you can do!!! not sure if you have league umpires or each team provides their own.

Remember league umpires still do not like giving LBW decisions on the front foot, so make sure you get as far forward as you can. Also umpires in England absolutely love giving LBW decisions based on the shot, so until you are confident, avoid playing the sweep.

Good luck, and hoping for this weather to become better soon.

We are 4th at the moment, and need to win this week to stay in touch with team in 2nd position. Team in 3rd position have a week off this week.

Shayan, i would avoid complaining as you are bound to come against the same umpire again, and he will be very trigger happy then. League's do sod all, having been on the league board previously.

Not league umpires, each team provides an umpire rather. Two of the three decisions I referred to above was from the opposing team's umpire, with the LBW decision given from our umpire, but not our regular one, a replacement rather.

unfortunately you have to live with!!!! trust me league umpires are not much better, esp if you like playing the sweep. Since last season, i don't even bother playing the sweep, as they give it out on the shot.

I prefer to think that umpiring errors tend to even themselves out. Soon enough, you'll get some luck and be given not out when you've edged or are plumb in front.

On another note, I was batting on Saturday, I open for my club, and we were chasing 113 in 45 overs (plus an additional 9 overs as we bowled the opposition out so quickly). The pitch was terrible due to the bad weather and some were popping up and hitting my helmet, others were keeping low etc.

Anyway, we batted very slowly to make sure we got the runs, our batting lineup isn't great and I didn't want to risk going for it, losing my wicket, and starting a collapse. So we ended up on 114 for 3 after almost 40 overs, and I finished unbeaten on 54.

During the innings the fielders were obviously getting very annoyed at our slow approach, so there were lots of comments from them, which never affect me anyway as I just ignore it. However, when I was at the non-strikers end, the umpire started having a go at me! He said "this is like watching paint dry" and told me that it wasn't really that tough to bat on, it was all just in our minds, and that we've completely wasted the extra overs we had etc etc.

This really annoyed me. I don't think an umpire has any business saying things like that, and I genuinely feel like making a complaint to the league about him. It got me VERY conscious about the ball hitting my pads etc because I just had a feeling he would give me out to get rid of me. Fortunately it didn't come to that, but I still want to make a complaint or something.

:))) :)))

BTW Rizzy, no DRS system in your games? :bcci :yk

Can't do much about it unfortunetly. But you have to leave that stuff behind next time you go out to bat. Focus only on what needs to be acheived not what cannot be changed.

Same situation in the league where I am playing. The umpires are just regular players from team's who don't have games that certain week. Basically here if anything hits your pads (or anywhere on your leg for that matter) you are at the mercy of the umpires.
Some give nonsense outs by coming under pressure against loud appeals.
Some try to over think all decisions and end up making stupid ones. One of our opening batsman has now been given out lbw twice in situations where he clearly edged the ball (heard and acknowledged by both teams and leg umpire) and once with the ball hitting his upper thigh.

Having umpired a couple of these games as well I know there can be some amount of pressure when giving decisions, obviously you want to make the right ones. But it does get frustrating during games when glaring obvious mistakes are made. You can't do anything about it, just keep your chin up and hope luck swings your way next time.

Back