POTW: y33ny

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Something different? Think most of us a little mentally exhausted by the constant bickering over captaincy etc - so good to see this sort of post looking at a different angle - Congratulations to our new poster @y33ny - winner of POTW!

I have noticed a huge change in Babar Azam’s batting technique and am surprised to have not found anything written about this online.

For clarity, I will split my analysis time-wise into three parts.

1. 2017-2020
2. 2020- Mid 2023
3. Late 2023-2024

Period 1:
Babar Azam came into the cricketing scene as a technically correct, orthodox batsman with a fabulous cover drive. It was a picture of elegance and solidity, executed with a dominant top hand, as was many of his stokes. He always made a conscious effort to play the ball with a straight bat, even on shorter pitched balls where he played back foot punches.

Period 2:
The year 2020 marked a subtle yet significant shift in Babar Azam's batting approach. An emphasis on power hitting began to emerge. This was manifested in an increased willingness to utilize his bottom hand more. His signature cover drive, while retaining its core structure, adopted a more fluid aesthetic. Instead of staying solid, he would appear to reach for the ball more and flow through the shot. Interestingly, it looked like he would avoid playing with a solid straight bat.

Period 3:
The most recent phase of Babar’s batting has been marked by a werid change to an unorthodox style. There was an inclusion of unconventional strokes like the slog sweep shot and the audacious 360-degree shot into his repertoire. Notably, his cover drive, once a staple of his batting, seemed to be absent during the PSL 9.

It honestly makes me a bit sad, seeing this change. In PSL 9, on the balls Babar could have nailed a perfect cover drive, he chose to slog them to the leg side or scoop. What could be some reasons behind this change? Do you think he’s aware of it?

And, am I the only one noticing these things?

Congrats brother @y33ny. That post was pretty refreshing to read under the current situation of captaincy stuff and all. Well deserved.

Thank you guys so much for your praise and recognition. I joined PakPassion so that I could express myself in the form of my two obsessions; writing and cricket. I’m honestly happily surprised that I’ve already gotten a POTW. Thank you so much for the award! ❤️

Thank you guys so much for your praise and recognition. I joined PakPassion so that I could express myself in the form of my two obsessions; writing and cricket. I’m honestly happily surprised that I’ve already gotten a POTW. Thank you so much for the award! ❤️
Well deserved, your babar analysis on his shifting techinque post was one of the most refreshing and unique posts I have seen.

Good post so it is evident that anything which does not have a financial benefit is worthless, deep down maybe Babar realized that exquisite cover drives wont land him Hundred contracts and other lucrative leagues hence a shift to batting style.

Back