Predict the outcome of the 2nd Test between Australia and Pakistan

Predict the outcome of the 2nd Test match between Australia and Pakistan

• Total voters
If not Wasim Jnr., the attack should be

Nawaz
Shaheen
Hasan
Jamal

No point in playing 2 left arm pacers. Also, only exceptional off spinners like Lyon do well here .
Better off playing a left arm spinner

Boxing day test at MCG is the pinnacle of cricket for me. Ever since I started following cricket I'd wake up early the day after Christmas to tune in, never mattered which side was against the greatest cricket nation on the planet. Almost always Aussies crushed the opponents but so many visiting players have left a mark on the biggest cricket stage ever, 90-100k crowd so passionate about test cricket.

Like Yousuf (Yohanna back then) scoring a memorable 100 on day 1 (2004-05 tour) against McGrath, Gillespie, Warne. Even Salman Butt batted beautifully that day, missed out on a 100 but he proved his worth against the toughest team of all time.

Don't think Pakistan have any chance tomorrow, in fact things will probably get uglier than the first test. Hope to see Babar shed his conservative approach and counterattack for a change, a 100 at MCG will be a special moment. Even though India lost the 1999 boxing day test I still remember it fondly for Sachin's beautiful stroke filled 116, second top score was some 30 and no other batsman reached double digits.

I don't really care about other Pak batsmen, nor do I rate them that highly. Best of luck to Babar Azam, will definitely watch his innings.

I fail to understand why Wasim Jnr in not getting chances in test cricket despite being in setup for many years. Even in the recent WC he was tried only when Hasan Ali got injured.
I think they intend to go with 3 pacers and Wasim doesn’t bowl with the new ball and neither does Jamal.

They need one of Hamza or Hasan to partner Shaheen with the new ball.

I don’t love the idea of two left arm pacers but I’d still probably pick Hamza over Hasan.

Rizwan over Sarfraz makes sense here.

We already missing Khurrams new ball skills.

MCG track has been quite spicy the last 2-3 years. I expect something similar where even a 400 first innings score will be enough to push for a win.

Boland if picked will be deadly here.

Showers are expected for 1st 2 days of the Test.

PAK fans can finally get their Christmas miracle - a Test that does not end up as a loss in Australia?

Pak has won 4, lost 27 tests in Australia.

2 wins in SCG, 2 wins in MCG. Venues of final 2 tests of this tour, some silver lining perhaps?

Just came to know that the Gabba stadium is going to be demolished and rebuilt for 2032 summer Olympics, which is going to be held in Brisbane.

So 10 years without a single test at Gabba, sad. Perth will be a sure shot fixture for all big series now and venues like Hobart, Canberra, Cairns to get a look in?

Last FC match he played? December 2022 vs NZ in Pakistan.
Yep, he has barely played any FC recently or in his career so far. Also, can't risk him now that he is one of the main guys in our white ball bowling attack.

I think they intend to go with 3 pacers and Wasim doesn’t bowl with the new ball and neither does Jamal.

They need one of Hamza or Hasan to partner Shaheen with the new ball.

I don’t love the idea of two left arm pacers but I’d still probably pick Hamza over Hasan.

Rizwan over Sarfraz makes sense here.

We already missing Khurrams new ball skills.
Hasan was never a good new ball bowler; he is pretty experienced let's see how he will perform now if selected. Wasim who is in the side since last 3 years must have got more opportunities, there is no sense to keep him on the bench all the time

If he has not played first class match since long, then he should not be selected in the team. The players selected in the squad must be ready to play whenever needed without any pre-conditions.

Exchange of gifts and pleasantries between Pakistan and Australian players. But lads don't go easy on them in tomorrow's test. Just level it up for the pct fans.

Glimpses of Pakistan team's training session ahead of the 2nd test match that commences on the boxing day. _20231225_144434.JPG_20231225_144457.JPG_20231225_144519.JPG_20231225_144539.JPG

Pakistan look to prove a point in Boxing Day Test

Pakistan are all set to play the second Test of the three-match series against Australia and their 11th Test match at the iconic Melbourne Cricket Ground. The Shan Masood-led outfit will be eager to prove a point with the series still up for grabs.

Pakistan played a two-day practice match against Victoria XI, from 22-23 December, to fine-tune their preparations. The two-day game played at Junction Oval, which ended as a draw, provided the Pakistan batters and bowlers much-needed match practice.

The series opener at Perth saw Pakistan face defeat by 360 runs, but the silver lining for the visitors was the performance of the two debutants, Aamir Jamal and Khurram Shahzad, who picked up seven and five wickets respectively in the match. Aamir will be looking to build up on his brilliant performance as he registered the sixth-best bowling figures for a Pakistan player on debut with his 6-111.

Meanwhile, Khurram has been ruled out of the Test series due to a stress fracture while Abrar Ahmed remains unavailable for selection for the MCG Test.

Off-spinner Sajid Khan, who flew in as the back-up spinner for Abrar, has been added to Pakistan’s 12-man squad for the MCG Test along with Hasan Ali and Mir Hamza. Wicketkeeper-batter Mohammad Rizwan will replace Sarfaraz Ahmed behind the stumps. The final XI will be unveiled on match day.

Pakistan captain Shan Masood, talking about the team composition for the second Test, said, “I believe in making less changes in the team after a loss to maintain stability but you have to make a few tactical decisions and then unfortunately we had injury concerns as well.

“Khurram not being available due to injury is such a loss. We’ve brought in Mir Hamza in his place, who has done equally well in the domestic circuit. We think he can emulate Khurram’s control and consistent lengths.”

What about Rizwan’s last FC red ball match?

You can’t have one rule for one and another rule for the rest of Pakistan

I want Aussies to bowl first and absolutely box Pakistan out in the first session of Boxing Day!

I want Aussies to bowl first and absolutely box Pakistan out in the first session of Boxing Day!
Rain forecast day 1 - so conditions could be trick for batting later on.

We really needed Khurram Shahzad.

Should have recalled Mo Aamir to cover for the injuries, his guile and fitness will be a big miss in these conditions.

Also, drop Sarfraz if you may, but please bring back Umar Akmal, he can keep to and he’s an amazing cutter/puller in Australian conditions as per his excellent record.

I don’t want to see Riswan, can’t stand his annoying smile full of deceit or his fake sajdas.

I want purer souls like Sharjeel, Aamir and the Akmals back; bring back the so called big bad Butt to, he could help the openers score some runs here, he was again another expert in Australian conditions.

I will be supporting Australia in this match. They are doing much more to raise awareness about Gaza.

Pakistan team have been silent. Khawaja and Cummins have embarrassed Pakistan.

I think Hasan Ali's pace will mostly be mid 120s to high 120s. Bit like Faheem but at least he should provide more control.

Khurram and Abrar have been huge miss in this test and the next. (Still hopefully Abrar can be fit for the final Test).

Seeing as wasim jr is not in the running the best 11 has to be the following.

1 Imam-ul-Haq
2 Abdullah Shafique
3 Shan Masood - (C)
4 Babar Azam
5 Saud Shakeel
6 M Rizwan - (WK)
7 Salman Ali Agha
8 Aamir Jamal
9 Hassan Ali
10 Shaheen Afridi - (VC)
11 Sajid Khan

Seeing as wasim jr is not in the running the best 11 has to be the following.

1 Imam-ul-Haq
2 Abdullah Shafique
3 Shan Masood - (C)
4 Babar Azam
5 Saud Shakeel
6 M Rizwan - (WK)
7 Salman Ali Agha
8 Aamir Jamal
9 Hassan Ali
10 Shaheen Afridi - (VC)
11 Sajid Khan

I would prefer Mir Hamza over Hassan Ali.

Boxing day test at MCG is the pinnacle of cricket for me.

Amazing. Then you must be glad you lived through the greatest era of Indian cricket where they won back to back tests at the ''Pinnacle of Cricket''. And back to back series too. You must think BCCI is the best sporting organization around?

What about Rizwan’s last FC red ball match?

You can’t have one rule for one and another rule for the rest of Pakistan
Rizwan never truly lost his place in tests. Was just more of a temporary break and rest, they knew they’d eventually have to bring him back given Sarfraz’s age. Even if they stuck with Sarfraz, bet Rizwan would have been back as a batsman sooner or later. It was one bad year of form in tests. Rizwan averaged over 40 three years in a row beforehand and well. Add to the volume of runs he’s getting in the other two formats (which does influence test selection whether right or wrong); realistically he was never going to be kept out for long.

Biggest thing going against Sarfraz isn’t his current test performance. It’s the fact he underperformed for four years in a row with the bat and gloves before getting dropped. That’s a long stretch. They are always going to be nervous giving him a long chance now. Last time Sarfraz was consistently good with the bat was 2014-2016. Long time ago.

Having said that I actually would have stuck with Sarfraz. His batting form was good as his keeping was good last test. When someone is picked he should be given a fair go. He deserved this tour and another tour after in subcontinent conditions.

Rizwan never truly lost his place in tests. Was just more of a temporary break and rest, they knew they’d eventually have to bring him back given Sarfraz’s age. Even if they stuck with Sarfraz, bet Rizwan would have been back as a batsman sooner or later. It was one bad year of form in tests. Rizwan averaged over 40 three years in a row beforehand and well. Add to the volume of runs he’s getting in the other two formats (which does influence test selection whether right or wrong); realistically he was never going to be kept out for long.

Biggest thing going against Sarfraz isn’t his current test performance. It’s the fact he underperformed for four years in a row with the bat and gloves before getting dropped. That’s a long stretch. They are always going to be nervous giving him a long chance now. Last time Sarfraz was consistently good with the bat was 2014-2016. Long time ago.

Having said that I actually would have stuck with Sarfraz. His batting form was good as his keeping was good last test. When someone is picked he should be given a fair go. He deserved this tour and another tour after in subcontinent conditions.
Sarfraz batting was poor in sri lanka test series , in thefirst test match this series and even in the practise games. He was average batsman even in his peak and now that he has lost his peak there's no justification to give him more opportunities as his current score returns are showing.

Chal Jaani save it for the Test now.

You’ve got what you wanted. The Sangakara of Pakistan in SENA has PRd his way into the XI. Now let’s see what happens for the rest of his career whilst I am alive!

I would prefer Mir Hamza over Hassan Ali.
Mir Hamza is more of a swing bowler for english conditions.
He lacks pace and reverse which Hassan Ali has.

Hassan is the kind of bowler if he s in good rhythm he s capable of knocking over 2 - 3 quick ones and a capable lower order striker.

Mir Hamza is more of a swing bowler for english conditions.
He lacks pace and reverse which Hassan Ali has.

Hassan is the kind of bowler if he s in good rhythm he s capable of knocking over 2 - 3 quick ones and a capable lower order striker.
There is not a great difference between the pace of both bowlers. Mir Hamza bowled many balls over 130kph on the first day and Hassan Ali pace was also mostly in the 130s.

I feel that Pakistan will give Australia a tough time in Melbourne Test, all they need to do is somehow get to a score of 300 in the first innings.

Pakistan's batting collapsed just sour the things for us. We were at 124/2 at one time but this easy let off may haunt us later in the Test if Rizwan gets out early tomorrow.

Aus to win by about 250 runs

Pakistan 220 all out tomorrow
Australia 280-5 Dec

Pakistan 120-130 all out

Pakistan had a good chance when they were at 124/1.

But, game has tilted toward the Aussies again.

Day 3 morning can be decisive.

Back