Predict the outcome of the 3rd Test between Australia and Pakistan

Predict the outcome of the 3rd Test between Australia and Pakistan

• Total voters
Should Saim be thrown in against an attack boasting 1300+ wickets or Shan should move up not sure on status of Abrar

Shafiq
Shan
Saim
Babar
Saud
Rizwan
Agha
Jamal
SSA
Abrar
WazJr./Zaman

My X1 for sydney

1 Saim
2 Abdullah
3 Shan(C)
4 Babar Azam
5 Saud Shakeel
6 Rizwan (WK)
7 Salman Ali
7. Mohammad Nawaz
8 Aamir Jamal
9 Wasim Jr
10 Abrar if fit (Sajid)
11 Mir Hamza

shaheen Afrdi rested as he s got T20s to lead and the series in Aus is gone.

This attack gives good variey with Left arm swing, Right arm pacers who hit the deck, Leg spin, Left arm spin and off spin and some batting depth as we havent scored enough runs yet.

Saim has the potential to be our Warner.
Are you allowed 12?

More importantly when is the cake, lollipops, goodwill gesture for this match to the opposition? Hurry up guys don’t let your spoons go to waste

As per a media report, Abrar is suffering from a pinched nerve in his right leg and a weakness in his muscles, and he was given injections as part of his treatment.

Pakistan are now waiting to see how he reacts to today's training session, and if he suffers from significant pain or discomfort arises.

This will determine whether he will play in the 3rd Test or not.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and Ms Jodie Haydon host Australia and Pakistan teams at Kirribilli House ahead of NRMA Insurance Pink Test

Players and families of the Australian and Pakistan men’s cricket teams attended the annual New Year’s Day Reception co-hosted by Prime Minister, the Hon Anthony Albanese MP and Ms Jodie Haydon at Kirribilli House in Sydney last night.

The event was held ahead of the third NRMA Insurance Test Match at the Sydney Cricket Ground, starting on 3 January 2024, with Australia leading the series 2-0. While Australia have secured the Benaud-Qadir Trophy, both teams will be looking to advance their chances in the ICC World Test Championship in the final match of the series.

Also in attendance were former Australian captains Alex Blackwell and Lisa Sthalekar, together with former England player, Isa Guha and other current cricket commentators, along with representatives from the McGrath Foundation, the official charity partner of the NRMA Insurance Pink Test.

Since 2009, Cricket Australia, Venues NSW, the Sydney Cricket Ground and the McGrath Foundation have collaborated to make the Pink Test one of the biggest charitable sporting events in the world.

Thanks to the generosity of the cricket community, the Pink Test has helped raise more than $22 million to fund McGrath Breast Care Nurses throughout Australia.

Quotes attributable to the Prime Minister, Hon Anthony Albanese MP:

“It’s an honour to welcome Pat Cummins, Shan Masood, their two teams and families to Kirribilli House.

“Our Australian men’s players have spoken of the warm reception they received in their most recent tour of Pakistan in 2022, so Jodie and I are thrilled to play a part in reciprocating this hospitality.

“This year’s annual event is extra special, as we also acknowledge the success of our men’s and women’s cricketers, who have both won World Cup titles in the last 12 months as well as retained the Ashes.

“Captains Pat and Alyssa Healy and their teams continue to proudly represent Australians on the world stage.

“We now look forward to the ‘Pink Test’ at the SCG, which has become an iconic part of Australia’s summer of cricket. I’d like to thank Glenn and the whole team at the McGrath Foundation for their continued dedication to improving the lives of families affected by breast cancer.”

Quotes attributable to Cricket Australia Chair, Mike Baird AO:

"Cricket has a long tradition of welcoming touring teams from across the globe to our shores and we thank the Prime Minister and Ms Haydon for continuing the annual New Year's Day Reception at Kirribilli House.

“The Pink Test in Sydney demonstrates the best of the Australian spirit and we are incredibly proud to continue the affiliation with the McGrath Foundation for the 16th year. The public’s support for the Pink Test continues to go from strength to strength and it’s very special that this iconic Test Match makes a real difference to the lives of families experiencing breast cancer around Australia.

“Thank you to the Pakistan team for their support of the Pink Test and we look forward to what will be another terrific Test match at the SCG.”

Quotes attributable to McGrath Foundation Co-Founder and President, Glenn McGrath AM:

“It’s great to be at Kirribilli House ahead of the 16th Pink Test. We’re so grateful for the support that we’ve had from the public, our partners, the Australian Government and both the Australian and touring sides over the past 16 Pink Tests.

“We’re looking forward to another great Pink Test and thank both the Australian and Pakistan teams for uniting in pink as we work towards our goal of reaching 250 McGrath Breast Care Nurses this year.”

Source: Cricket Australia

Australia have backed in the same XI for a third consecutive NRMA Insurance Test with Pat Cummins confirming no changes have been made for the New Year's Test against Pakistan.

Cummins confirmed Australia's fast-bowling trio have all pulled up well after clinching the series in Melbourne. Having also won in Perth, the Aussies have no need to tinker with the balance of their side for David Warner's Test farewell.

Warner had plans to retire from Tests mid-Ashes
If the hosts win the traditional New Year's fixture, it will mark the first time since they beat England 5-0 during the 2013-14 Ashes that they have whitewashed a Test series (of three or more matches) with the same XI.

Cummins, Mitchell Starc and Josh Hazlewood have all proved physically resilient over the past six months, playing six, five and four matches respectively during their six-Test tour of the UK.

The trio also played all but one match of the recent ODI World Cup together.

There is a 10-day break between the Sydney Test and the first of two Tests against West Indies in Adelaide, and then a further month in between the second Windies Test at the Gabba and the two-Test tour of New Zealand beginning in late February.

Cummins believes the star trio could play all of them, keeping the likes of Scott Boland, Lance Morris and Michael Neser on the sidelines.

"Potentially. It'd be rare," the skipper told reporters on Tuesday. "Normally each summer there's something that pops up. But all three of us are really fresh.

"Even the way this summer is spread out a bit more, there's two Tests on, then a bit of a gap, then two Tests, then a bit of a gap, then New Zealand. We'll give it a chance. It's all gone pretty smoothly so far."

The SCG has a reputation for taking turn but the hosts did not consider bringing a second spinner into the team to partner Nathan Lyon. The pitch appeared well-grassed on the eve of Pakistan's final match of their Australian tour.

The Bureau of Meteorology suggests there is a chance of rain for each day of the Test, but it the weather is not expected to be as disruptive as it was for last year's SCG Test against South Africa when the entire third day was washed out.

Cummins is not setting much store in the forecast either way.

"It always seems to be a talking point," he said. "Even on game day it says it's a 100 per cent chance of rain, then you get on for a whole day, and the next day it's supposed to be blues skies and it rains all day. You never really know but (the forecast) does look pretty good."

While the Test is a dead rubber in terms of the series result against Pakistan, Cummins insisted there was plenty at stake.

"Now that the World Test Championship is there, every Test match is important," said the captain, who led Australia to their maiden WTC final victory in July last year.

"We've got a couple of points to make up from some over rates in England (during the Ashes). Every game has context and it’s a home Test match, every Test match you play is big. Every one in Australia is even bigger."

Saim to make his debut as Pakistan name their playing XI for the final Test

Shaheen Shah Afridi is rested

id6LqTj.png

Last edited:
Very good decision to give Saim a debut.

Pakistan need positive batters at the top.

Saim Ayub and Abdullah Shafique will probably be our opening duo for the next cycle of Tests so this strikes me as a good decision. Excited to see Saim bat.

Rested Shaheen, Ayub to make his debut (could be risky though). I hope they don't discard him basis just 1 test.

Right decision to drop & to rest Shaheen.

Grossly unfair with Wasim Jnr not to play single test on this tour, he was similarly treated in recent WC, got to play few matches when the team was almost out of tournament.

Not sure what Saeed Ajmal is doing in Aus as both Abrar & Nouman are injured and Sajid is getting chance only in last test.

Sajid replaces Afridi , Hasan plays & 5th bowling option continues to be Agha ensures Pak taking 20 wickets is completely ruled out (y)

Also include his family and friends. I mean why not. If he was my uncle and I knew I can have the perk then I would ask for it too.

Its the system with no check and balance rather than the people.
Honestly, he's been the only PCB chairman who takes leisure trips on every Pak's oversees tour. MegaLeech of PCB's funds.

The state of that bowling attack ! Aamer Jamal as the 3rd seamer is a risk given his high economy rate. Sajid was terrible in his earlier Test appearances - he didn't trouble Australia on Pakistani pitches.

Shaheen has a well earned break but I wish it didn't have to be on a marquee tour of Australia.

Hoping for a rain-affected draw.

Don’t mind Shaheen resting but it should have been Waseem Jr coming in as we need to see wether he can cut it at test level like Khurram, Jamal and Hamza .

Sajid selection is by default it’s SCG you need to play a spinner and he’s the only fit one over there

Nice to see that Saim will make his debut.

He should get a good 8-10 match run to develop his game and see how he performs. Shaheen not playing is a major loss and not ideal for the WTC equation too.

The bowling attack seems undercooked for an SCG wicket considering Sajid is their main spin option.

Pakistan aim to end series on a high as they gear up for SCG Test

Pakistan are set to play the last match of the Benaud-Qadir Trophy at Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) from 3 to 7 January. The Shan Masood-led side will be looking to avoid a whitewash by Australia after the hosts took an unassailable lead by winning the Boxing Day Test at Melbourne.

After their 360-run defeat at Perth in the series opener, Pakistan put on a spirited display in Melbourne before Australia claimed victory on the fourth day of the match.

Ahead of the series finale, Shan is leading the run-scoring chart for Pakistan after producing twin half-centuries in the Boxing Day Test. Aamir Jamal, after making his debut in the series opener, is the second highest wicket-taker of the series so far. He has taken 12 wickets in two games, including a five-wicket haul.

Opening batter Saim Ayub will be making his Test debut, coming in place of Imam-ul-Haq. Saim had earned his maiden Test call-up following an impressive domestic season. Left-arm pacer Shaheen Shah Afridi has been rested with spinner Sajid Khan replacing him in the side.

Pakistan will be persisting with the three changes made ahead of MCG Test. Mir Hamza, who replaced an injured Khurram Shahzad in the playing XI, registered his career-best figures in Melbourne. He accounted for six wickets in the match, including a double-wicket maiden in Australia’s second innings. Hasan Ali and Mohammad Rizwan, who replaced Faheem Ashraf and Sarfaraz Ahmed at MCG respectively, have also kept their place in the side.

Pakistan captain Shan Masood, in the pre-match press conference, stated: “We have learned from the mistakes we made in the first two matches. Going forth, it is about not repeating them, especially when playing against quality sides. If we keep playing like this, I am sure there will be a lot of Test wins in the future.

“At Melbourne, we played good cricket all four days but there were several chances we could have seized the game. We will work on the lessons learned. We are positive about the direction our team is taking.”

Reflecting on Shaheen, the Pakistan captain said, “Personally and as a team, we have never had any doubts when it comes to Shaheen. If you look at his records, he has bowled the highest number of overs in a while in world cricket. It is up to us to make sure he is looked after, physically and mentally.”

He further added, “Fitness and workload impact performance. Our all-format players have been playing continuous cricket for a while now—they have played three World Cups in the past three years while also playing the laying the World Test Championship simultaneously. We have been trying to address this to balance match significance and workload.

“Players like Khurram Shahzad, Aamir Jamal and Mir Hamza have done well in tough conditions. This reflects the success of our domestic system, as it has broadened our bench strength. We want to give similar chances to our batters too, so we can widen our player pool in each department.”

Source : PCB

No issues with Shaheen resting as that is what i would do. I think he s bowled more overs than anyone on the circuit this year.

I would of gone for Wasim Jr over Hassan Ali as the Extra pace would of been useful.

Hasan preferred over Wasim ??? Ridiculous , hope Sydney test will be his last game for Pakistan , ever, enough of this club level phast bowler.

Hasan preferred over Wasim ??? Ridiculous , hope Sydney test will be his last game for Pakistan , ever, enough of this club level phast bowler.
Exactly, it absolutely unfair with Wasim Jnr not to play single test on this tour, he was similarly treated in recent WC, got to play few matches when the team was almost out of tournament. If you don't trust your player at this level, then better not to select him in the squad. It must be seriously demoralizing for Wasim.

A positive move to give Saim his debut. Whatever happens he will learn a lot by facing the world's best.
Also agree with giving SSA a much needed rest.
Sajid is a little suspect though, you are basically going with a 3rd choice spinner since Abrar is injured and Noman is unwell. May have been better to do a like for like replacement and go with Wasim jr.

A very depleted attack which was already on crutches shows our commitment to Test cricket also a big ? On PCB medical team most of our bowlers are injured, Naseem Ihsanullah Hasnain Abrar WTH is going on, some are half fit SSA Rau

Resting Shaheen has the most ridiculous thing I heard in recent days. Resting your premier fast bowler from a test match to keep him fresh for upcoming PSL . Look at Australia , they kept the same fast bowling unit even after winning the series already. You play your best available eleven for the test matches, no compromise.

Just looking at the pitch and how run scoring is getting difficult, I think Pakistan are in a better position at the moment. Australia are a better team of course so they might still end up winning but looks like a close game. I don't think Australia would be able to score much more than 350 in the first innings if Pakistan field well.

As of right now and if rain permits. Pakistan have a great chance to win this Test match.

Just looking at the pitch and how run scoring is getting difficult, I think Pakistan are in a better position at the moment. Australia are a better team of course so they might still end up winning but looks like a close game. I don't think Australia would be able to score much more than 350 in the first innings if Pakistan field well.
I think that is it really. If Pakistan can get Australia out for under 300 they will be in the driving seat. Chasing even 200 on 4th innings won't be easy.

Aus will win. But I hope they don't after running away yesterday due to bad light.

If Pakistan can keep Aus around 300 or below, Pakistan has a good chance. It's hard to bat in 4th inning. But Pakistan batsmen need to step up. Tail is not going to bail them out always.

Australia will do everything to turn this into a one innings Test for them. Conservatively a lead of 100. They will be disappointed not to take a lead against this bowling attack despite the poor form of Smith/Labu. This is a slow, low bounce pitch with a bit of turn. Unless you have some serious self doubts you should be able to do well here. If they acquire a lead of about 100 then Pakistan will start playing catch up game.

Australia will do everything to turn this into a one innings Test for them. Conservatively a lead of 100. They will be disappointed not to take a lead against this bowling attack despite the poor form of Smith/Labu. This is a slow, low bounce pitch with a bit of turn. Unless you have some serious self doubts you should be able to do well here. If they acquire a lead of about 100 then Pakistan will start playing catch up game.
Agreed. Pakistan bowling is not that good. Their bowling cannot stop Australia from scoring 400. This pitch deserves a quality spinner to exploit.

Said khan is mediocre and Agha is decent filler. Not enough to put doubts in opposition minds.

Back