Rafael Benitez: Everton sack manager after less than seven months in charge [Post#49]

Nakhuda

Local Club Star
Runs
Its not a kneejerk reaction but i've thought about it in detail and have concluded that Rafa Benitez will not win the league for us so should be sacked or resign.Credit to him for winning the F.A cup and champions league in his first season but to win the league consistency is required and he'll never get that out of the players as he's forever tinkering with the squad.Further,he plays our best player Gerrard out of position and his summer signings have not delivered instead have been expensive flops reminding me when Houllier signed the likes of Diouf and Diao_Our current situation especially away isn't bad form but a team who just is unable to deliver when playing away yet i reckon he'll do well in Spain cos his style of play suits that league.I don't see us finishing even in the top five this season and thats really dissapointing considering how much he spent.Lets face it that we're streets behind the likes of Chelsea,Man Utd
and the Arsenal.What do other Liverpool FC or Footie fans think??

No,no Geordie mate but being a Newcastle fan i can understand you'd welcome a situation such as ours :)) .I listened to the phone-in after the L'pool match on radio five live and many fans agreed with me.Rafa is a good manager but not the one to bring the league title back to Anfield.

Benitez is the best thing to happen to Liverpool.. who better is available if you even are mad enough to contemplate getting another guy. you give the manager atleast 5 years if you want an organic growth like we have always done not like Chelsea which won the jackpot and invested over 300m in their squad.. By the way how much have we spent.. our record signing under Benitez has been Alonso for 10.6m which was a snip..

Rafa is the best.........he needs to just play Gerrard properly and sort out the defence and strikers...Kuyt has been good, but, we need a good partnership like Drogba and Sheva or Van Persie and Henry and defence has to be solid and compete with Arsenal, Man U and Chelsea Liverpool need defenders like Ferdinand, Terry, Gallas, Carvalho, Toure.

Liverpool are light years behind Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal when it comes to winning the Premiership.

LFC may add a few cups here and there, but winning the League is a long way off. Where the likes of CFC, MUFC and AFC sign the likes of Ballack, Shevchenko, Rooney, Carrick etc Liverpool end up with the likes of Pennant and Bellamy.

Liverpool need some big investment and they need it quick.

Rafa is the man.

No doubt about it.

Sadly, the Chelsea effect leaves fans of 'normal' clubs feeling inferior.

Liverpool need investment - unless its fortcoming (in vast quantities) then 3rd/4th is the only position we can aspire to.

Replace Rafa with ANYONE - it wont change a thing.

Saj said:
Liverpool are light years behind Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal when it comes to winning the Premiership.

LFC may add a few cups here and there, but winning the League is a long way off. Where the likes of CFC, MUFC and AFC sign the likes of Ballack, Shevchenko, Rooney, Carrick etc Liverpool end up with the likes of Pennant and Bellamy.

Liverpool need some big investment and they need it quick.

light years behind is a load of as my paddy mates would say auldballocks.. we were 9 points behind last year.. our squad this season has changed drastically... 50% of the players didnt know one another.. its about gelling.. I think the best of Liverpool would be seen march onwards..

As for winning the few cups.. thats few more than Man United won in the last 3 years.. Im not too worried about chelsea.. whatever they win doesnt matter because it wasnt a level playing..
To say that Carrick is some sort of a majestic midfielder is just laughable.. Man United are welcome to have the likes of him

madaboutlfc said:
light years behind is a load of as my paddy mates would say auldballocks.. we were 9 points behind last year.. our squad this season has changed drastically... 50% of the players didnt know one another.. its about gelling.. I think the best of Liverpool would be seen march onwards..

As for winning the few cups.. thats few more than Man United won in the last 3 years.. Im not too worried about chelsea.. whatever they win doesnt matter because it wasnt a level playing..
To say that Carrick is some sort of a majestic midfielder is just laughable.. Man United are welcome to have the likes of him

Liverpool are 16 points already behind Man Utd, 13 points behind Chelsea. When I refer to Carrick I mean spending £18M on a player which is way out of Liverpools budget.

Saj said:
Liverpool are 16 points already behind Man Utd, 13 points behind Chelsea. When I refer to Carrick I mean spending £18M on a player which is way out of Liverpools budget.
it was £14m which is besides the point.. being 16 points at this state does not matter.. we were 17 points behind the leaders at point last season and made it up to 9 points.. I think a lot of people seem to think Man United spending that much on a midfielder is some sort of an indicator.. Man United does not spend on the whole squad these days because the squad has been good but the days of spending 30m of ferdinand are gone.. I think you should read the financial figures of Man U to see the difference..

Watch that blood pressure madabout LFC!! :15: I am not saying Rafa is a bad manager cos he's proved himself at Valencia but strongly believe he'll not win us the league,thats what we crave for.A possible repacement could be the Villa manager Martin,i hate spelling his surname :))
He hasn't yet signed a long-term contract so if we dangle a carrott he should swallow it in one go if he's any sense!

i was all for rafa since he brought his valencia side and the way taught liverpool how football should be played but he is struggling we should have had martin o,niell

qadoos said:
i was all for rafa since he brought his valencia side and the way taught liverpool how football should be played but he is struggling we should have had martin o,niell
ah martin oniell the winner of the CL World Cup UEFA Cup Premierleague and the best looking manager contest.. obviously ive missed something there..

qadoos said:
look what is he doing at villa with limited resources
what is he doing.. have they won stuff.. MON is an overrated manager.. DOL started out well as well and with limited money

i have sported liverpool since early seventy's but i feel they are not gelling together chopping and changing every week does not help last couple of weeks have been very frustrating

Rafas newly assembled sqaud will need time to gel but i cant see them winning premiership in next few years.

Amjid Javed said:
Rafas newly assembled sqaud will need time to gel but i cant see them winning premiership in next few years.

Until the spending power is there, they cant compete with the likes of Chelsea.

Saj said:
Until the spending power is there, they cant compete with the likes of Chelsea.
id say thats a tad stupid viewpoint.. apart from Chelsea its a level playing field to an extent.. and if you know much about Liverpool we have never spent big and managed to win things

Benitez can blast past Fergie and Wenger

Dec 7 2006

By Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

RAFA BENITEZ can eclipse Sir Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger and even the great Bob Paisley if he claims his 50th Reds league win on Saturday.

Benitez has won 49 of 92 Premiership games since taking charge at Anfield.

It took Wenger 94 matches to reach the half century at Arsenal, and Ferguson needed 116 league games to get to 50 after joining United in 1986.

At Anfield, only Bill Shankly, who reached 50 wins in 90 games, and Kenny Dalglish, whose double winners needed just 85 between 1986-88, have achievedthe feat in 90 matches or less since 1959.

Even Shankly's were all achieved in the old second division.

Paisley won his 50th league game in his 95th top flight match in charge.

In more recent times, it took both Gerard Houllier and Roy Evans 102 Premiership games to reach 50 wins.

Should Liverpool beat Fulham on Saturday, it will be further evidence of how well Benitez has performed in two-and-a-half-years of re-construction, even though his side is still well below the standard he requires.
http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/...objectid=18225483&siteid=50061-name_page.html

Oh wow, fifty wins! Look at that beating Fergie at something once. Heck even if Rafa accomplished half of what Fergie has done....than Rafa would be a legend in his own right.

Amir said:
Oh wow, fifty wins! Look at that beating Fergie at something once. Heck even if Rafa accomplished half of what Fergie has done....than Rafa would be a legend in his own right.

man utd fans summed up perfectly with a statement like that coming from one of them!

Waqar's inswinging yorker said:
man utd fans summed up perfectly with a statement like that coming from one of them!

I wasn't speaking from a Manchester United fan perspective. I was speaking from a Sir Alex Fergunson fan perspective.

Amir said:
I wasn't speaking from a Manchester United fan perspective. I was speaking from a Sir Alex Fergunson fan perspective.
he doesnt need a man united manager as a role model to follow.. the club hes at did have the greatest manager in England

He is a very good coach he has done a lot for Liverpool. He is one of the best managers in the english football.

madaboutlfc said:
he doesnt need a man united manager as a role model to follow.. the club hes at did have the greatest manager in England

No one said anything about role model mate, so no need to read in between the lines. I was simply having my dig at the authors title.

WIY, you are not one to talk either. Talkign to you, is like talking to a brick. I never seen you compliment Manchester United, irrespective of how big or deserved a victory is.

Amir said:
No one said anything about role model mate, so no need to read in between the lines. I was simply having my dig at the authors title.

WIY, you are not one to talk either. Talkign to you, is like talking to a brick. I never seen you compliment Manchester United, irrespective of how big or deserved a victory is.

wait wait, im sure there was that one time a few weeks back when i said they were playing well, im sure i did, i will try to dig that post up for u.

Waqar's inswinging yorker said:
wait wait, im sure there was that one time a few weeks back when i said they were playing well, im sure i did, i will try to dig that post up for u.

Please do, I will stand corrected and I will admit I am wrong. You just happen to filter out so much tosh that sometimes your meaningful posts can be overlooked.

Rafa Benitez will leave Newcastle United when his contract expires on Sunday - and he is set to move on to pastures new in the coming weeks

Newcastle United have confirmed that Rafa Benitez will leave the club when his contract expires this weekend - and fans are desperate to know who will be the next Magpies manager.

Yet, equally as fascinating is where the 59-year-old himself will head next, considering he has been keen to stay at St James' Park and finally help Newcastle achieve their undoubted potential.

He has been linked with a number of clubs over the past few weeks - and there have been claims he has already made his mind up as to where his next destination will be...

Rafa Benitez's Newcastle successor faces most challenging of tasks - and not just in popularity stakes

China
Over the past two years, Benitez has received a series of approaches from Chinese clubs, and it is looking increasingly likely that he will finally move to East Asia.

Dalian Yifang - who are backed by Wang Jianlin, a man worth a reported £17billion - are understood to have offered Benitez a contract in excess of £12million a year, after tax, in order to take charge.

Benitez has repeatedly rebuffed offers to move to the Chinese Super League, despite the enormous riches he would have received, with the 59-year-old determined to remain at Newcastle to see out his three-year contract.

Seemingly the lucrative approach from Dalian has convinced him to manage outside of Europe for the first time, particularly considering Newcastle were reportedly only willing to offer him an increase on his £6m-a-year salary in performance-related bonuses.

This is appearing an increasingly likely destination for Benitez, with some sources even claiming that he made the decision to head to China as early as last week.

Chelsea
It very much appears as if Frank Lampard is going to be appointed at Stamford Bridge and he looks set for an emotional return to the Blues.

However, Benitez was linked in the Italian media with succeeding Maurizio Sarri at Chelsea once the latter joined Juventus. Ironically, Sarri followed Benitez at Napoli and eventually led the club to a second-placed finish in Serie A.

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich remains on positive terms with Benitez and would be open to being reunited with him, but Blues fans never took to the former Liverpool boss and would have been unlikely to accept him back in west London.

With Lampard primed to leave Derby County and head back to Chelsea, Stamford Bridge no longer appears to be a potential destination for Benitez.

The Continent - or Scotland
Roma, Marseille and Paris Saint-Germain all showed varying degrees of interest in Benitez this summer, but all have subsequently appointed alternative coaches or offered new contracts to their existing managers.

Celtic also contemplated making a move for Benitez but, although he spoke positively of the Scottish champions to a journalist, such a move was never realistic and Neil Lennon has since re-signed as permanent manager.

There remains interest across Europe in Benitez, but his £6m salary put off a lot of suitors who could not even afford to offer him half as much in wages.

It is not beyond the realms of possibility that Benitez will wait it out and see if another offer comes his way now clubs definitively know he will be available as a free agent come Monday morning.

'There will be a huge backlash from the supporters' - Lee Clark's verdict on Benitez's Newcastle exit

Wait it out for 'sacking season'
Ideally, Benitez wants to remain in England so that he can be close to his family, who live on The Wirral. As well as Newcastle's size and potential, that was one of the reasons why Benitez agreed to join the Tyneside club in the first place.

Last summer, West Ham United made serious overtures to Benitez before luring Manuel Pellegrini back from China - another ironic twist to this tale - but the Magpies manager was surprised when he was never seriously in the running for the Leicester City job in February, and Brendan Rodgers subsequently became Foxes boss.

Some reports over the weekend claimed Benitez would merely allow his Newcastle contract to expire, and then wait for the so-called 'sacking season' in England and Europe before taking on an attractive position.

Again, this could still happen because certainly Benitez would be an ideal manager to get any team out of a poor start to the new campaign.

An unlikely return to Newcastle - if a takeover happens
It must be stressed that, currently, this is not an option - and, as things stands, Ashley looks set to remain owner for the foreseeable future.

But it is not beyond the realms of possibility that Benitez could depart and then be lured back to St James' Park should a new custodian arrive.

The Bin Zayed Group remain bullish that a takeover will happen, and at least two other groups are understood to have held talks with Ashley's lawyers about acquiring the club.

Seemingly, though, Benitez himself is not confident a takeover is about to happen, otherwise he may have stuck around.

Should a change of ownership occur, however, then it would be an excellent PR move to bring Benitez back to Newcastle - though the timeframe for doing so appears unachievable, given that he may get a new job before then.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/next-rafa-benitez-china-dalian-16478220

Pretty big loss for Newcastle. Now more than ever they need new ownership because if they won't have a decent manager going into next season at least they might have some money to invest.

From what I've heard, Newcastle pulled a fast one on Benitez by announcing that he failed to come to terms with them. He was apparently still committed to signing a contract extension.

Under Mike Ashley and an inferior manager, they could be doomed for relegation.

Rafael Benitez says he'd like to return to the Premier League at some point, but not at the moment.

Benitez, 59, is in charge of Chinese Super League club Dalian Yifang, but has been linked with a number of Premier League clubs, including West Ham and Arsenal.

Speaking on Monday Night Football, the former Liverpool, Newcastle, Chelsea and Real Madrid manager said: "Obviously in the future I would like to come back to Premier League, but at the moment I must be very clear, there is no chance I will come back now.

"I am happy, really pleased, they trust me, we have a lot of staff working on a big project.

"We want to leave a legacy, it's a challenge for me, and I'm learning a lot, it's a great experience, and I'm quite happy at the moment."

https://www.skysports.com/football/...itez-rules-out-imminent-premier-league-return

BREAKING: Rafa Benitez is close to taking over as Everton manager following positive talks with the Goodison Park board.

Sky Sports News learned that the Spaniard was No 1 choice last night and has now been offered the job.

How times have changed lol, now even Championship clubs spend 20m to sign a player.

Rafael Benitez: Everton hope to appoint ex-Liverpool manager within days

Everton are hopeful of confirming Rafael Benitez as Carlo Ancelotti's successor within days.

Former Liverpool manager Benitez, 61, has held several rounds of negotiations with Everton owner Farhad Moshiri and the club's decision makers over the last two weeks.

The Spaniard has impressed enough for them to ignore a mixed reaction from their fanbase to his proposed arrival.

Ancelotti resigned in early June to return to Real Madrid

Benitez's arrival would be a contentious and controversial one as many Everton fans remain opposed to him after he described them as a "small club" following a goalless Merseyside derby at Anfield in February 2007.

The Spaniard later admitted he had made a mistake, saying he was referring to the defensive approach of David Moyes' team in that particular game rather than Everton as a club.

Contract talks between Everton and Benitez are moving ahead and it now looks certain that, barring any late hitches, he will become only the second man to manage both Merseyside clubs having won the Champions League and the FA Cup in a six-year spell at Anfield before his departure in 2010.

William Edward Barclay, who was part of the original foundation of Everton in the 1890s and later the breakaway Liverpool club, is the only person to have crossed the city divide to manage both clubs.

The pursuit of Benitez has been a delicate matter for Everton owner Moshiri, drawing criticism from many supporters and seeing two banners placed outside Goodison Park.

However, the Iranian-British businessman is convinced that Benitez is driven, determined and single-minded enough to take the club back into Europe after finishing 10th under Ancelotti last season.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57607566

I don't know why rafa has done this as a former liverpool manager he shouldn't be going to the local Derby rivals .

I know the liverpool Everton rivalry isn't as sinister as other cities but even still he should have kept his integrity and not gone to Everton since rafa has a cult status with liverpool fans

Quite a few Everton fans not happy about this as Rafa made some comments about Everton when he was the Liverpool manager, which the Everton fans still remember and didn't like.

Merseyside Police are investigating after a threatening banner apparently aimed at prospective Everton boss Rafa Benitez was hung near his family home.

understand the politics of football, and i personally dislike rafa, but no man deserves to be threatened like he has, threats to his wife and kids, if was him i would get out of the area asap,

Rafael Benitez has arrived at Everton's Finch Farm training ground ahead of his unveiling as the club's new manager.

Former Liverpool boss Benitez, 61, has agreed a three-year contract to become Carlo Ancelotti's successor at Goodison Park after the Italian resigned from his post to return to Real Madrid on June 1.

The Spaniard, who will become the Toffees' fifth permanent manager in as many years, has received a mixed reaction from the Everton fanbase following news he is to be the club's next boss.

Benitez should never have left Napoli in 2015, his career's been on a steady downward spiral since then. Everton fans are entitled to be horrified by this appointment.

Everton have appointed former Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez as their new manager.

The 61-year-old Spaniard has signed a three-year deal and succeeds Carlo Ancelotti, who resigned in early June to return to Real Madrid.

"I am delighted to be joining Everton," said Benitez.

"I believe this is a club that is going places. I'm determined to play a big part in helping this great club achieve its ambitions."

Benitez last managed in the Premier League at Newcastle United before leaving in June 2019.

He moved to China to coach Dalian Professional FC and left them in January after 18 months in charge.

"Rafa impressed us greatly with his knowledge and experience but, above all, the passion and hunger he showed to join our club," said Everton majority shareholder Farhad Moshiri.

"We are appointing Rafa because we believe he will bring success to our club and to Evertonians. To put it simply - we need to be competing at the top end of the league and to be winning trophies.

"Rafa is a proven winner with huge exper

Interesting move.

Good manager, but some of the EFC fans are already against this decision to appoint him.

Needs to make a good start or he'll be in for a rough ride.

Rafael Benitez says he will 'fight for Everton' and vows to win over fans

New Everton boss Rafael Benitez says success will win over fans who criticised his appointment.

The former Liverpool manager, 61, previously called the Toffees a "small club" after a draw in the Merseyside derby in 2007.

The rivalry between the two clubs led to a threatening banner being left near his Merseyside home.

"It was a long time ago," Benitez replied to a question about his "small club" comment.

"If you are the manager, you have to defend your club in any context.

"In this case, I will fight for Everton, I will try to do my best every single game, and I will try to compete against anyone.

"I know how the team finished last year, and we will try to be sure that we can do better.

"We can talk the talk, but I prefer to walk the walk and hopefully everyone will be happy, starting with me. If I am happy, the fans will be very happy too."

Benitez, who replaced Carlo Ancelotti after the Italian returned to Real Madrid last month, is the first manager since the 1800s to cross the Merseyside football divide.

He managed Liverpool from 2004-2010.

He was also criticised by some Chelsea fans after being appointed in 2012 before going on to win a Europa League title with the club.

Benitez said that the banner had done nothing to put him off taking the Everton job.

"The Evertonians around my place, they are quite happy and they were very supportive," he added.

"Even the Liverpool fans were accepting that there is a chance for me to come back to the Premier League to compete for something, so it was quite good.

"Talking about the banner we can talk about one, two people, you never know. So then I think it's better to think about positives, how a lot of people were encouraging me to do well, I'm happy with that.

"Even when I decided to start talking [to Everton], I was convinced that this is a great opportunity. And for me, it's this challenge, so it's not something that I am scared of, the opposite.

"I want to do well. And what that means is to win."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57835276

Rafael Benitez has been sacked as Everton manager after less than seven months in charge.

The Toffees appointed the former Liverpool manager, 61, as Carlo Ancelotti's successor in June.

Everton, who lost 2-1 to Norwich City on Saturday, have won only one of their last 13 Premier League games and sit 16th in the table, six points above the relegation places.

The club say an update on a permanent replacement will be made in due course.

Former Everton striker Wayne Rooney, now manager at Derby County, has already been linked with the job.

Another potential candidate is Belgium coach Roberto Martinez. He was the first Everton manager sacked by owner Farhad Moshiri in 2016 but BBC Sport understands he still has admirers among the club's hierarchy.

Everton held an emergency board meeting on Saturday to discuss Benitez's future following the defeat at Carrow Road, which was a ninth loss in the club's past 12 league games.

Everton's travelling contingent demanded Benitez "get out of our club", while a supporter invaded the pitch in an attempt to confront the Spaniard.

Benitez, whose previous job in the Premier League was at Newcastle United, leaves Everton with an overall win percentage of 31.8% - his lowest record in charge of an English club.

Everton have 19 points after 19 games and only twice previously have the Toffees had fewer points at this stage of a Premier League campaign (17 in 1997-98 and 2005-06).

'Rooney will get a mention'

Everton are now searching for their seventh permanent manager since the departure of David Moyes in 2013.

Former England captain Alan Shearer said on Match of the Day the night before Benitez was sacked: "He has been in the game long enough to know you have to get results, and if you don't you will probably lose your job.

"Yes the results have been dreadful but the problems lie deeper than the manager. If you look at the amount of managers they have been through and money that has been spent of players... absolute madness."

Former Premier League defender Stephen Warnock believes former Toffees striker Rooney could be considered - but Brighton's Graham Potter should be top of Everton's list.

"Wayne Rooney will get a mention and it is up to Wayne where he feels he is at if he was offered the job," Warnock told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"It would be very difficult to turn down, from a club and fans point of view. Is he experienced enough? He would get the respect of the fans and the players.

"The choice I look at, and Brighton fans won't want me to say this, is Graham Potter. Everton fans want open and expansive football, and you would get that with him.

"This appointment has to be the right one. I don't think [assistant manager] Duncan Ferguson is the right choice - they need to look elsewhere."

Everton won four of their first six league games under Benitez, taking 13 points from a possible 18, but their form has collapsed since October.

They finished 10th with 59 points last season with current Real Madrid boss Ancelotti as manager.

Director of football Marcel Brands departed in December as owner Farhad Moshiri attempted to tackle the crisis surrounding the club.

Former Premier League striker Clinton Morrison added: "There has not been a plan at Everton for years. They have not spent well and that is why the director of football had to go.

"I knew it would be a big struggle for Rafa going there. He started ever so well but once you have been a legend at Liverpool, it's always going to be difficult when you start losing games. It wasn't good enough against Norwich. Top six? No chance. They could be in a relegation battle."

Left-back Lucas Digne also left the club, for Aston Villa in a £25m deal earlier this week after falling out of favour and said he did not expect his time at Everton "to end this way".

"Benitez was always climbing a mountain," Danny Murphy told BBC Radio 5 Live. "It looked like they were backing him, they let him sell Lucas Digne and sign players so to disregard that, well, it is an absolute shambles and there is no real candidate for someone to come in and guarantee success.

"They are a massive club but with obvious massive problems."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59532271

Quite the fall from grace for Benitez. Just seems to cause more problems than he solves these days, a decline similar to Mourinho's.

Rafa was always an incredibly overrated manager. He has been living off that fluke Liverpool's Champions League win he achieved with Gerrard Houllier's team for years now. Sacked by Liverpool, Real Madrid, Chelsea and now even Everton shows he is not a top class manager.

He also appears very cold towards his players hardly showing them any emotion no matter what the result is. A poor man manager he prefers the players speak to him through the assistant manager then approach him directly. At Liverpool the players spoke of how they couldn't understand his instructions then he was also seeking replacements for current players leading to the likes of Xabi Alonso leaving the club.

He was equally as responsible as George Gilllette and Tom Hicks for messing up Liverpool FC. Now that his graph is going so down his future clubs will most likely be average ones. Duncan Ferguson will be the ideal Everton FC manager.

Although Rafa had some great players at Liverpool he struggled to keep most off them happy. He is a defensive manager, his teams mostly have a boring style off play. At Chelsea the job was too big for him where as at Everton he was never entirely accepted due to being a former Liverpool boss. Picking fights with one Sir Alex Ferguson made him look even more stupid.

Back