Rafael Nadal 23 - Roger Federer 14

Gabbar Singh

Test Debutant
Runs
After Nadal's win vs Federer at the 2014 Australian Open it seemed like the rivalry was dead and buried once and for all with the head to head being 23-10. However, as form and fortunes have changed, Federer has found a new surge against Nadal, now having won his last 2 meetings against the Spaniard in the finals of Basel 2015 and today's victory in the Australian Open final at Melbourne Park.

The h2h is now :
That makes it 23-13 overall.
In all finals that is: 14-8.
Grand Slam Matches: 9-3.
Outside of clay, it's 10-10.

Federer is now 4 grand slams ahead of Nadal, 18 -14.

Can we now say that Federer is definitely the Greatest Of All Time (GOAT)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Federer's reputation as greatest of all time is debateable. Only fools would ignore the accomplishments of Rod Laver.

I'm not a fan of Nadal, but if he wins 17 slams wherever they are, he will be better than Fed in my opinion and most people's opinion.

I hope for the sake of the beautiful sport, a shotmaker like Fed stays ahead of grinders and moonballers.

One other thing, the rivalry between Nadal and Fed, well it's non-existent. Other than a couple of matches earlier in their careers you'd say that when push comes to shove Nadal owns Fed.

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe fed is a legend.. but Rafa is giant killers... my fav...

Nadal would have been a heavyweight in ANY era. Federer on the other hand has struggled right from a "teenage Nadal" era.

Nadal would have been a heavyweight in ANY era. Federer on the other hand has struggled right from a "teenage Nadal" era.

People like you, who know nothing about the sport and the history of it need to keep their opinions to themselves.

The courts are all homogenized, even Wimbledon is no longer a quick surface and most of the HC are not exactly quickly. They say IW and Miami were playing slower than clay surfaces last year.

It basically means Nadal bosses everywhere cause it's so slow. Anywhere slightly quicker like in Asia, Paris (Masters) or lower bouncing like Wimbledon and the 02 Arena he struggles big time.

So would Nadal be a great champion if he had to play on the truly quick surfaces and truly lower bouncing ones? I doubt it. Who has suffered the most because of these surfaces? The big hitters and the serve volley players.

Nadal is lucky the surfaces are mostly slow and high bouncing. Roger is unlucky and guys like Del Potro and Isner are the most unlucky.

In just 2 sets last year on the quick Shanghai surface, Del Potro ripped Nadal to pieces, it's a glimpse of how Nadal can get bossed around if the surfaces were not all designed for grinders like him.

People like you, who know nothing about the sport and the history of it need to keep their opinions to themselves.

The courts are all homogenized, even Wimbledon is no longer a quick surface and most of the HC are not exactly quickly. They say IW and Miami were playing slower than clay surfaces last year.

It basically means Nadal bosses everywhere cause it's so slow. Anywhere slightly quicker like in Asia, Paris (Masters) or lower bouncing like Wimbledon and the 02 Arena he struggles big time.

So would Nadal be a great champion if he had to play on the truly quick surfaces and truly lower bouncing ones? I doubt it. Who has suffered the most because of these surfaces? The big hitters and the serve volley players.

Nadal is lucky the surfaces are mostly slow and high bouncing. Roger is unlucky and guys like Del Potro and Isner are the most unlucky.

In just 2 sets last year on the quick Shanghai surface, Del Potro ripped Nadal to pieces, it's a glimpse of how Nadal can get bossed around if the surfaces were not all designed for grinders like him.

What you say is true to some extent. But what has Federer done against Nadal even on faster surfaces ? People talk about Wimbledon courts not being as fast as they were in 90s, but Frech Open courts too have become quicker over the years, and Nadal is still a beast there.

On a scale of 0-100, if 0 is the slowest court ever... and 100 is the fastest ever, then Nadal will be a favorite from 0-70 against Roger. Federer winning against a mediocre bunch in early 2000s seems to have given him this false aura of invincibility on Fast courts. If Nadal was there from early 2000s, Federer would have struggled to take his Grand Slam tally past 10.

Bjon Borg and Mc Enroe kept each other in check. Same with Sampras and Aggasi. Mr. Fedrer was lucky to be palying in an era where his next serious challenger took 5 years to surface. If Nadal's greatness is due to slower courts, then don't forget how much Federer benefitted from a extremely mediocre playing field.

Last edited:
both players are great, both can be called goats.

appreciate the two playing styles and STOP with the debate on who's better/ goat.

in most sports you cannot say best ever, so why do these threads continue to spread.

ENJOY THE GAME

Federer of 2005 is the peak of any Tennis player ever.

Overall IMO -

Bjorn Borg
Roger Federer
Rod Laver

Nadal wins another Slam, number 14 and the same number as Sampras.

Is Rafael Nadal The Greatest Of All Time? Spaniard's Ninth French Open Begs Question

As No. 1 Rafael Nadal fell to the soft clay and held back tears following his ninth French Open title Sunday, the 27-year-old Spaniard entered rarified air with his 14th career slam title.

Dropping No. 2 Djokovic for the sixth straight time at Roland Garros, while also retaining his ranking as the world’s best player, Nadal will now garner comparisons and force the choice between he, all-time slam winner Roger Federer and the legendary Pete Sampras for who is the GOAT: greatest of all time.

If the argument comes solely down to slams, Federer walks away with the cherished moniker, for now.

Federer holds the career mark with 17 slams, and Nadal is now tied with Sampras with 14 after claiming his ninth French major in the last 10 years, highlighted by his 65-1 record in Paris.

Based off their head-to-head record, and Nadal’s overall success on every surface, he might have Federer’s number in nearly every other category.

The head-to-head matchup isn’t even close. In 33 matches, Nadal has beaten the Swiss 23 times including nine of the last 11. To be fair, Nadal’s recent success has come on the backend of the 32-year-old Federer’s career.

The bulk of Federer’s claim as the greatest of all time, and his main argument against Nadal, comes on the hard court and grass. He owns five U.S. Opens and four Australian, and is tied with Sampras with seven career victories at Wimbledon.

By comparison, Nadal won the U.S. and Wimbledon twice, and Australian once.

Nevertheless, Federer’s lone slam victory at the French came in 2009, when Nadal was well out of contention. Nadal suffered his sole loss at the hands of relatively unknown Robin Soderling in the fourth round that year, but has won every French title since.

Federer also has the edge on Sampras and Nadal in career singles titles, but could lose his grip over time.

Federer’s professional career started in 1998, three years prior to Nadal’s, and he’s racked up 78 singles titles and more than 954 career victories.

A deep run at Wimbledon, and perhaps a win over Federer, will put Nadal past Sampras and weaken Federer’s case.

Nadal has equaled Sampras with 64 singles titles, and assuming his questionable knee holds up Nadal should continue to enjoy his prime while retirement becomes more of a reality to Federer. His recent loss in the French is a growing trend for Federer. He’s missed three of the last four quarterfinal rounds in slams.

A head-to-head comparison is impossible with Nadal and Sampras, but he does best the American at the French, and thus holds career grand- slam bragging rights.

Sampras and Nadal never met on the court, with the former officially retiring in 2003, but he also laid his claim to greatness at Wimbledon and the U.S., clinching five titles at Arthur Ashe.

Still, the furthest Sampras ever advanced in Paris was the semifinals in 1996, when he fell to eventual champion Yevgeny Kafelnikov.

At this juncture, if his health holds up and with Federer’s best days behind him, it may be only a matter of time before Nadal rises as the greatest.

http://www.ibtimes.com/rafael-nadal...iards-ninth-french-open-begs-question-1595956

GOAT. He didn't just survive legendary Federer from his teenage days, but he literally manhandled him throughout his career.

Youngsta Beauty ! :amir

He would Surpass those 17 titles and become a even bigger GOAT :srt:ponting

Nadal - Djokovic rivalry is considered the greatest ever and head to head record of both players is neck and neck. Nadal and Federer head to head gap is too big hence overrated rivalry.

Don't forget other great rivalries like Sampras - Agassi, Serena - Venus etc

GOAT. He didn't just survive legendary Federer from his teenage days, but he literally manhandled him throughout his career.

Youngsta Beauty ! :amir
Those 9 French titles will always count against him...

He needs to win more titles at the other GS's to be labelled GOAT, the thing with Fed is, he won most of his title when there wasn't really much competition. Nadal has had to compete with Fed, Novak and Murray for GS's, in any other era without the other 3 they would have probably topped world tennis and easily won most of the GS titles.

Last edited:
nadal is a legend and both him and fed have won so much its close, but the main difference between him and fed is aesthetic for mine. i watched fed when i was younger and wanted to play tennis because he made it look so easy. i know people who don't like tennis who watch when fed is playing because it just looks amazing.

this may be harsh but in his pomp fed bossed three grand slams, nadals records are pretty much just based on owning the french open. i never watched tennis before the early 00s so cant compare to players of old but federer is easily the goat from all the players ive seen.

having said that nadal will become the most prolific slam winner, can easily win another 2 or 3 french, and one or two other slams.

Didn't think we would see it again but these two legends are set to meet in another slam final on Sunday. :)

This could be the biggest match in Tennis history.

Federer gets this, he probably never gets surpassed, but if Nadal wins he push Federer's 17.

Either way, Novak fans must be envious of the popularity of the two and their ability to drum up interest in their matches.

nadal is a legend and both him and fed have won so much its close, but the main difference between him and fed is aesthetic for mine. i watched fed when i was younger and wanted to play tennis because he made it look so easy. i know people who don't like tennis who watch when fed is playing because it just looks amazing.

this may be harsh but in his pomp fed bossed three grand slams, nadals records are pretty much just based on owning the french open. i never watched tennis before the early 00s so cant compare to players of old but federer is easily the goat from all the players ive seen.

having said that nadal will become the most prolific slam winner, can easily win another 2 or 3 french, and one or two other slams.
I loved watching Nadal's hard hitting, never give him style.

It was awesome to see such a young talent take it to Federer like Nadal did.

Well and truly one of the greatest rivalries in sporting history, without it, Tennis would be nowhere as popular as it is today.

When you think Tennis - you think Nadal-Federer.

No way Federer beats Nadal. I've already prepared myself for the result so I'm not disappointed with the outcome. I probably won't even bother watching.

No way Federer beats Nadal. I've already prepared myself for the result so I'm not disappointed with the outcome. I probably won't even bother watching.

It's ridiculous that these guys are not fully declined given their age. I cannot believe that a 25 yr old Dimitrov couldn't outlast a 30+ Nadal. It's also ridiculous how Stan capitulated in that final set as well.

But I have no doubt both Nadal and Federer (and Murray before he was knocked out) were the most happy at Djokovic's upset because other than him no one on tour seems to believe they are the better player when going into a match against them.

The H2H between Nadal and Fed is lopsided and sure clay plays a part but for me it shows 1 area what Nadal just hammers Federer. The Federer "great" BH according to his fans is pummelled out of site.

I remember watching Nadal's first Wimbledon victory against Fedex in 2008 (or 2009) .. What a match it was!

Went on for almost 5 hours I think.. You really had to admire Nadal for his persistence. It was really a sort of Tendulkar Vs Dravid matchup .. Federer was infinitely more pleasing to watch asthetically. . But Rafa just grinded it out and counterattacked like hell . He NEVER GAVE UP . Everyone till then, doubted whether Nadal could adapt his clay court style to play on grass . But he proved them all wrong .. Been a fan ever since .. !

Will root for him this time too..

Last edited:
I remember watching Nadal's first Wimbledon victory against Fedex in 2008 (or 2009) .. What a match it was!

Went on for almost 5 hours I think.. You really had to admire Nadal for his persistence. It was really a sort of Tendulkar Vs Dravid matchup .. Federer was infinitely more pleasing to watch asthetically. . But Rafa just grinded it out and counterattacked like hell . He NEVER GAVE UP . Everyone till then, doubted whether Nadal could adapt his clay court style to play on grass . But he proved them all wrong .. Been a fan ever since .. !

Will root for him this time too..
The Dravid analogy is poor IMO.

A better one would be Kohli - determined, naturally talented and passionate.

I don't agree with Federer being infinitely more aesthetically pleasing to watch, I actually prefer Nadal's hard hitting style.

Last edited:
Federer at his peak was poetry in motion. Sheer joy to watch him. Hopefully he can beat Rafa here and finish his career on a high.

I think Rafa here deserves this GS. His 15th will rekindle the GOAT debate, and many would rate Rafa's 15 higher than Roger's 17. On the other hand, if Roger wins this, the debate will end. He will be the undisputed GOAT for almost all Tennis fans.

I think Rafa here deserves this GS. His 15th will rekindle the GOAT debate, and many would rate Rafa's 15 higher than Roger's 17. On the other hand, if Roger wins this, the debate will end. He will be the undisputed GOAT for almost all Tennis fans.
Has to be the biggest match in history because of this.

The Dravid analogy is poor IMO.

A better one would be Kohli - determined, naturally talented and passionate.

I don't agree with Federer being infinitely more aesthetically pleasing to watch, I actually prefer Nadal's hard hitting style.

Yeah. .Its more Tendulkar vs Kohli . I just wanted to say asthetically more pleasing .. Most of Dravid's attacking/lofted shots felt more hard-hitting , something sachin made look more pleasing ..

Today's match is pure poetry for me.. So hyped, I wouldn't mind federer winning !:14:

This matchup will be dominated by Federer going forward. Nadal has lost his physical edge and without it, he can't beat Federer unless Federer is massively off his game.

This matchup will be dominated by Federer going forward. Nadal has lost his physical edge and without it, he can't beat Federer unless Federer is massively off his game.

There is still some distance to catch up for Federer though.

So gutted, I thought Nadal had it after he broke early in the 5th :(

Don't think they'll meet again.. Djockovic or Murray will eliminate one of them before the final. This AO was lucky for both since both the guys got knocked out early .. Don't see that happening regularly ..

They are to face off yet again, this time in the Miami Open final. Federer in great form this year and should be the favourite to win.

Another easy win for Federer - not sure if there will be many more encounters between these two, but Federer seems to have Nadal's number for the time being.

5 years on from the original post there's only one winner now, the GOAT Roger. What he's done over the last 5 years, given his age, has been nothing short of super human imo.

5 years on from the original post there's only one winner now, the GOAT Roger. What he's done over the last 5 years, given his age, has been nothing short of super human imo.

Agreed. Unless Nadal can do the same in nex 4-5 years

Nadal will overtake Federer. All he needs to do is continue his dominance on clay, but no matter what he achieves Roger Federer is the GOAT.

Back