Rafael Nadal - Discussion Thread

Rafael Nadal is out of the Paris Masters after a second-round defeat to American Thomas Paul in just the Spaniard's second match since the US Open and first since becoming a father.

World number 31 Paul came from a set down to beat Nadal 3-6 7-6 (7-4) 6-1.

Defeat for Nadal, who has battled an abdominal injury since the summer, saw his hopes of ending the year as world number one suffer a huge blow.

ATP Finals: Rafael Nadal beaten by Felix Auger-Aliassime in Turin

Rafael Nadal's hopes of a first ATP Finals title took a blow as he was beaten 6-3 6-4 by Felix Auger-Aliassime.

Defeat against the Canadian follows an opening loss to American Taylor Fritz in Turin.

The 36-year-old Spaniard must win the year-end title to finish 2022 as world number one.

Victory against Norway's Casper Ruud in his final Green Group match may not be enough to keep his hopes alive.

Ruud, who has already beaten Auger-Aliassime, needs to just win a set against Fritz later on Tuesday to eliminate Nadal.

An early exit for Nadal would mean his 19-year-old compatriot Carlos Alcaraz, who won the US Open in September, would end the year as world number one.

"I mean, I don't think I forget how to play tennis, how to be strong enough mentally," said Nadal.

"I just need to recover all these positive feelings and all this confidence and all this strong mentality that I need to be at the level that I want to be.

"I don't know if I am going to reach that level again. But what I don't have any doubt [about], is that I'm going to die for it."

Nadal has now lost four matches in a row, going back to the US Open.

BBC

Spain's Rafael Nadal is expected to be sidelined for six to eight weeks with a hip injury that hampered him during his exit from the Australian Open.

The 22-time Grand Slam champion struggled to move in a 6-4 6-4 7-5 defeat by American Mackenzie McDonald in the second round on Wednesday.

Nadal, 36, had an MRI scan on his left hip in Melbourne and it showed a tear in his left psoas muscle.

The world number two will return to Spain to begin physiotherapy treatment.

Top seed Nadal said he was "mentally destroyed" after his title defence in Melbourne came to an end.

"The scan showed a grade two injury in the psoas of the left leg," Nadal tweeted on Thursday.

"Now it is time to have rest and anti-inflammatory physiotherapy.

"The normal recovery time is six to eight weeks."

The timeframe means Nadal could be fit to play the first Masters tournament of the 2023 season at Indian Wells in March.

The European clay-court season starts the following month and culminates in early June at the French Open, where Nadal hopes to win a record-extending 15th title.

BBC

6-8 weeks injury should have Nadal back for clay court season. Hopefully he can get back into his rhythm on his familiar courts in time to go out with a bang at 2023 French Open. He should retire after that, sit back and enjoy family life before he ruins his body even more.

Djokovic will end up with most GS's anyway, he should just try get #23 in May then let it go.

3-time winner Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from the BNP Paribas Open due to a hip flexor injury

Barcelona Open: Rafael Nadal withdraws from clay-court tournament

Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from the Barcelona Open, saying he is "still not ready" to return to the men's ATP tour.

Nadal, 36, has been struggling with an ongoing hip injury that has also kept him out of this week's Monte Carlo Masters.

The 22-time Grand Slam winner remains a doubt for the French Open in May, where he is defending champion.

Nadal has not played since he was defeated by American Mackenzie McDonald at the Australian Open in January.

Writing on Twitter, the Spaniard said: "Barcelona is a special tournament for me, because it is my adopted club and because playing at home is always a unique feeling.

"I am still not ready and, therefore, I continue my preparation process for the return to competition."

The Barcelona Open, which Nadal has won 12 times, starts on Monday, and is one of the last big clay-court events before the French Open begins in Paris on 28 May.

Nadal, who is ranked 14th in the world, was diagnosed with a left hip injury after he was beaten in straight sets by McDonald in the second round in Melbourne.

The anticipated recovery time was six to eight weeks, but Nadal will not be back in action, at the earliest, until the Madrid Open, which starts on 25 April.

BBC

Rafael Nadal says he is in a "difficult" situation as he does not know when he will return from his injury lay-off.

He was initially ruled out for six to eight weeks with a hip injury but has now not played since 18 January.

Nadal confirmed he will miss the Madrid Open, which starts on 25 April, and there is doubt over his participation at the French Open in May.

"The injury still hasn't healed," the 36-year-old Spaniard said.

"I can't work out what I need to compete. I was training, but now a few days ago we decided to change course a bit, do another treatment and see if things improve to try to get to what comes next," he explained in a video posted on his social media channels.

"I can't give deadlines because if I knew I would tell you but I don't know. This is how things are now."

Nadal, who won his 14th French Open title last year, was diagnosed with a tear in his left psoas muscle after losing in the second round of the Australian Open in January.

The 22-time Grand Slam winner added: "I have no choice but to try to have the right attitude throughout this time, try to give myself the opportunity to compete in one of the tournaments that remains of the clay season and I have no choice but to work and be with the right mentality."

The French Open starts on 28 May.

Meanwhile, Olympic champion Belinda Bencic says she will miss both Madrid and Rome's clay tournaments because of "discomfort" in her hip.

The Swiss said she was struggling with the injury throughout the WTA Tour's United States swing, despite still making the Charleston Open final.

Bencic said she has taken the decision to help her be 100% fit for Roland Garros.

BBC

Nadal's uncle expects him to play at French Open

The uncle and former coach of Rafael Nadal says the 22-time Grand Slam winner plans to be back fit in time to play the French Open next month.

Toni Nadal told Spain's Radio Marca on Friday his nephew will soon be ready to return from a hip injury that has sidelined him since January.

Toni Nadal, who coached Rafael until the end of the 2017 season, said he expects him to try to come back at Rome in early May.

"He's going to play in Paris, although how he trains in the coming weeks and what he can do in Rome will be important to measure his aspirations there," Toni Nadal said.

Rafael Nadal out of 2023 French Open and plans retirement in 2024

Rafael Nadal will miss the French Open for the first time in 19 years after a hip injury ruled out the record 14-time men's singles champion.

The 36-year-old Spaniard, who has won 22 major titles, also said he plans to retire after the 2024 season.

"I didn't make the decision, my body made the decision. To play Roland Garros is impossible," he said.

"Next year will probably be my last year. That is my idea. If I keep going now I won't be able to make it happen."

Nadal holds the joint record number of men's major triumphs alongside Serbia's Novak Djokovic. He has won 70 other ATP titles and spent 209 weeks at world number one - the sixth longest amount of time in ATP history.

Known as the 'King of Clay', Nadal has won 112 of his 115 matches at the French Open.

However, the Majorcan left-hander has not played since sustaining the hip problem at the Australian Open in January.

Nadal has been practising in recent weeks, but was not fit enough to play a tournament in the run-up to Roland Garros.

The French Open starts in Paris on 28 May and runs until 11 June.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/65597964

Really sad news for Nadal and his fans. He wants to take time off and come back for one farewell season in 2024. But at this point, I don't know if his body can cope with the demands of professional tennis, so there is a very likely chance that he has already played in his final match. But I hope that unlike Federer, Rafa can come back and go out on his own terms.

The golden era of big four is over. Federer already retired, Nadal retiring next year & Murray being not too far away from retirement either. The only one still standing strong is Djokovic, and even he has shown signs of his body breaking down recently.

Rafael Nadal underwent an arthroscopic intervention on Friday to assess the hip injury which has kept him out of competition since the Australian Open in January, with the result to be known on Saturday, the day of his 37th birthday.

Rafael Nadal expressed confidence on Wednesday that he will make a "competitive" return to professional tennis next month, marking the end of nearly a year-long hiatus due to injury.

The 22-time Grand Slam champion underwent two surgeries in 2023 to address a persistent hip injury, prompting speculation about his future in the sport. With retirement expected next year, Nadal confirmed his comeback at the Brisbane International, an Australian Open warm-up event scheduled from January 1–7.

In a social media video, Nadal conveyed his excitement about returning to the court, emphasising that while he doesn't know the exact level of play to expect, he is focused on enjoying the game. The 37-year-old acknowledged the challenges of the past year, including setbacks in his attempts to return for the clay-court season and Roland Garros.

Reflecting on his journey, Nadal mentioned moments of doubt and the seemingly impossible nature of his return. Despite slipping to 664th in the world rankings during his absence, he maintained a positive outlook, crediting perseverance, spirit, and hope.

As a two-time Australian Open champion (in 2009 and 2022), Nadal aims to regain his competitive edge in a tournament he is familiar with. He acknowledged the difficulties ahead but expressed readiness to compete without aspiring to anything beyond being competitive.

Nadal's return to the court follows a challenging year, but with renewed optimism, he looks forward to the opportunity to compete once again.

Source : Samaa News

Nadal is a true legend. Wish him good luck for his return. Would be great if he could win another grand slam at this age.

Australian Open: Rafael Nadal on entry list, Nick Kyrgios absent​

Two-time champion Rafael Nadal has been included on the entry list for the Australian Open after nearly a year out with injury, while Nick Kyrgios looks set to miss the tournament in January.

Nadal, 37, has been out of action since injuring his hip flexor at the last Australian Open.

The former world number one recently confirmed he would make his return at January's Brisbane International.
Australian Kyrgios has had an injury-blighted 2023, missing all four majors.

The 28-year-old, a Wimbledon finalist in 2022, has struggled with wrist, knee and foot injuries and said last month "the stars would need to align" for him to be fit for the first major of the year. In theory, he could still be awarded a wildcard.

Defending champion and world number one Novak Djokovic will return as he bids for a record-extending 11th men's Australian Open title and a 25th Grand Slam win overall.

Long-time rival Nadal, who has won 22 majors, said in May that 2024 would "probably" be his last year on tour.

Source : BBC

Last edited by a moderator:

Rafael Nadal to retire next year? Tennis star says ‘Good chance that…’​

Rafael Nadal, the 22-time major champion, acknowledged the possibility that 2024 might be his last season as an ATP professional, acknowledging that he might hang up his racquets at the end of next season.

The champion will make his return from a near year-long injury absence at the Australian Open warm-up event in Brisbane next month. Eleven months have passed since the Spaniard's defeat at Melbourne Park in the second round by American MacKenzie McDonald. Due to his hip ailment, he required surgery twice and, while out of action, dropped to 664th place in the world rankings.

Nadal has erred on the side of caution since naming the 2024 season as a possible venue for his comeback. With a full year out of the game due to an iliopsoas injury in his left leg, the Spaniard is now counting down the days until his return to professional tournament tennis at the ATP 250 in Brisbane, which begins on December 29.

Source : The Mint

So Desperate for Attention ‘ – Rafael Nadal’s ‘Marketing Push’ Heavily Criticized by Novak Djokovic Loyalists

After a very long break from professional tennis, Rafael Nadal is finally ready to get back in action. Soon after the Spaniard announced his comeback scheduled to commence in the upcoming season, fans are eagerly waiting to see the legend play again, along with tracking every update from the tennis star. However, an attempt to get more excitement has now brought in some criticism.

As the trail of negative comments continued, a fan, using language that went beyond the appropriate track, said, “he has been coming for everyone in Wimbledon ever since. But this clay sweeping janitor couldn’t do **** when Novak is there.” He has been coming for everyone in Wimbledon ever since. But this clay sweeping janitor couldn’t do **** when Novak is there.

With these and several other comments imposing hate on Nadal’s latest marketing move in the form of an engaging video, the overall response came out to be quite the opposite of what the Academy expected. However, besides the video, another update on Rafa’s anticipated comeback also made its way on social media.

Along with the video aimed at gathering the attention of fans, pictures of Nadal’s confirmed outfits for the Australian Open 2024 also paved the way on social media. Nadal’s attire for this year’s Melbourne Slam is all about cool blues. The social media update showed a light blue t-shirt paired with darker blue shorts and a sleek jacket.

Along with the bright colors, the Nike logo proudly sits on the left, along with the famous Raging Bull emblem on the other side. As the tennis star is all set to break into the game with a new outfit along with newer levels of enthusiasm, the fans are welcoming the tennis star with mixed responses.

Source : ESSENTIALLY SPORTS

By far my favorite tennis player.
Been following him since he started his grand slam career when he was approx 16 years old.
The day he retires will be a very sad day for me.

RAFAEL NADAL'S LONG-AWAITED RETURN

From Novak Djokovic's hopes to Rafael Nadal's return, the world No. 1 battle, and Ons Jabeur's Grand Slam quest, we pick out 24 questions for the 2024 tennis season. The new season is set to start with the United Cup before the Australian Open, which gets under way on January 14. Djokovic and Aryna Sabalenka will be the defending singles champions in Melbourne

Rafael Nadal will make his return in Australia, but the most intriguing part of what looks to be his final season on tour will surely be on clay. He will be desperate to be in the best shape possible for a tilt at another French Open title, and then medalling for Spain at the Olympics, which is also held at Roland-Garros.
There's also the question of whether this will be Nadal's final season on tour.

Source : EUROSPORT

Nadal 'feeling good' but plays down Australia expectations

Rafael Nadal said Friday he was "feeling good" but played down any chance of winning tournaments in the near future as he returns from a near year-long injury absence.

The 37-year-old has not played since a second-round loss at the Australian Open this year, undergoing two rounds of hip surgery on the long road back.

It raised fears his career could be over, but he will again grace the courts at the Brisbane International starting on Sunday ahead of the Australian Open in Melbourne.

"I am feeling good," the Spaniard, who has previously indicated it could be his farewell season, said at a promotional event in the city.

"I can't complain. I feel much better today than what I expected one month ago, but for me, it's impossible to think about winning tournaments today.

"What's possible is to enjoy the comeback to the court.

"I don't expect much, honestly," he added. "The only thing that I expect is to be able to go on court, to feel myself competitive and to give my best."

The 22-time Grand Slam champion spent time at his academy in Kuwait this month in search of temperatures and conditions similar to those he will encounter in Australia.

But his level of training has been limited and he admitted it would be "a tough process in the beginning".

"It's not like I've been practising with good intensity for the last six months. I just have been practising for the last month in a very good intensity," he said.

"Nothing is impossible. But for me, just being here is a victory, and I hope that I will have a chance to enjoy, and the crowd too."

A two-time Australian Open champion, in 2009 and 2022, Nadal has slipped behind old rival Novak Djokovic in the all-time list of Grand Slam singles titles, as the Serb won three this year in his absence to take his tally to a record 24.

Nadal said at this stage of his career "I cannot have super long-term goals because I don't see myself playing for a super long time".

"But in my mind, I'm going to try to give myself the opportunity to be more and more competitive as the season keeps going."

Source : AFP

Rafael Nadal has fired a rocketing forearm at long-time foe Novak Djokovic.

In the latest chapter of the tennis legends' simmering feud, Nadal has responded to comments made by Djokovic in December, when the Serbian champion recalled a time that he shared a Roland-Garros locker room with his Spanish rival. Djokovic told CBS' 60 Minutes that the intensity of Nadal's warm-up and blaring music were "pissing me off".

Nadal told Spanish publication El Pais this week that it was "never, never, never my intention" to intimidate Djokovic, before knocking Djokovic down amid the GOAT (Greatest of All Time) debate

Djokovic has won a record 24 singles grand slam titles, placing himself ahead of Nadal (22) and Federer (20) in the GOAT debate purely in terms of numbers.

Federer won his final grand slam title at the 2018 Australian Open and announced his retirement four years later, calling time in September 2022.

Nadal continues to fight on — he's Down Under for another Australian Open — but whether the 37-year-old's battered body will allow for another grand slam title is tough to predict.

Djokovic, in contrast, is still exceptionally fit at the age of 36 and highly likely to add more grand slam triumphs to his resume. He's the hot favourite to win a record-extending 11th Australian Open title in Melbourne this month.

But as Nadal noted in his interview with El Pais, "there are several factors" to weigh up in the GOAT argument — not just statistics.

"Some I won't tell you because it's difficult for me, it's not my place to comment on them, but in terms of tennis, it's clear," Nadal said.

Source : Wide World of Sports

Rafael Nadal impressed on his long-awaited return after almost a year out with injury as he beat Dominic Thiem at the Brisbane International.

Nadal, contesting his first singles match in 349 days, won 7-5 6-1.

Spain's 22-time Grand Slam champion has indicated this season will likely be the last of his illustrious career.

"Today is honestly an emotional and important day for me after probably one of the toughest years of my tennis career," 37-year-old Nadal said.

"I had the chance to come back after a year and play in front of an amazing crowd and play at a very positive level on the first day, [It] is something that makes us feel proud - my team and family who have been there every day in the last year."

Wildcard Nadal is using the tournament to prepare for the Australian Open, which starts on 14 January in Melbourne.

He will play Australian Jason Kubler, ranked 102, in the last 16 on Thursday.

BBC

Rafael Nadal through to Brisbane International quarter-finals

Rafael Nadal said "every day is an adventure" after he cruised into the Brisbane International quarter-finals on his return from a hip injury.

Playing just his second singles match after almost a year out, Nadal was in control throughout a 6-1 6-2 win over Australia's Jason Kubler.

The Spaniard broke at the first time of asking and proceeded to secure a quick win and a place in the quarter-finals.

"I take every day like an opportunity, and tomorrow is another one," he said.

Nadal will play another Australian, Jordan Thompson, in the last eight.

Wildcard Nadal is using the tournament to prepare for the Australian Open, which starts on 14 January in Melbourne.

The 37-year-old beat Dominic Thiem in the first round and from the moment he broke Kubler to love in the second game, it was hard to see past another Nadal victory.

He broke again in Kubler's second service game and although the Australian showed some fight to get on the board at 5-1 and then force three break points in the following game, Nadal calmly saved the lot and served out the set.

"I started the match playing very well, with very good determination," Nadal said. "I tried to be aggressive from the baseline and I think it worked very well.

"I think it was a very positive match for me. Two victories after a long time being outside the professional tour is something that makes me feel good."

The 22-time Grand Slam champion was given a time violation for taking too long to return from the toilet between sets but that was as close to adversity as Nadal came at the Pat Rafter Arena.

Kubler was broken to love in the first game of the second set and Nadal - whose power and athleticism appears undiminished after hip surgery - was untroubled as he went on to victory.

"The positive thing is that the first two matches haven't been super long," Nadal added.

"Of course, I had some feelings after the first match. I mean, I have been a year without playing with the tension of a real match, so I felt a little bit some muscles tired here and there.

"In general terms, I felt good."

The quarter-final will be Nadal's first since Wimbledon in 2022.

Grigor Dimitrov is a possible semi-final opponent for Nadal after he recorded a 6-1 6-2 victory over world number 56 Daniel Altmaier of Germany, successfully following up a first-round win against Andy Murray.

Elsewhere, Great Britain's Liam Broady was beaten 6-4 7-6 (10-8) by top seed Andrey Rublev in the last-16 stage of the Hong Kong Open.

BBC

Rafael Nadal loses to Jordan Thompson in Brisbane International quarter-finals​

Rafael Nadal failed to convert three match points as he fell to a quarter-final defeat against Australian Jordan Thompson at the Brisbane International.

Nadal, 37, went close to sealing a straight-set victory but lost 5-7 7-6 (8-6) 6-3 to 29-year-old Thompson.

It was Nadal's third match since returning to action after almost a year out with a hip injury.

Thompson will face world number 14 Grigor Dimitrov in the semi-finals on Saturday.

After wins over Dominic Thiem and Jason Kubler earlier this week, Nadal faced by far his toughest test yet of his comeback against Thompson, ranked 55th in the world.

Making his return to the tour before the Australian Open, which he has won twice, Nadal dropped serve midway through the first set only to respond with a break of his own immediately afterwards, before accelerating away to take the opener.

Nadal, a 22-time Grand Slam winner, has fallen away to 672nd in the rankings during his period on the sidelines.

The former world number one may find plenty of positives from a tough workout, but he will know he should have chalked up another win. Chances to close out the match came his way in the tie-break, but Thompson clung on to force a deciding set.

Momentum was with the home player and he soon broke the Nadal serve in the third set, with the veteran Spaniard this time proving unable to recover.

Bulgarian Dimitrov, who eliminated Andy Murray in the first round, will face Thompson in the semi-finals following a 6-1 6-4 quarter-final victory over Australian Rinky Hijikata.

The other semi-final on Saturday will see world number eight Holger Rune face Russian Roman Safiullin, after their respective quarter-final wins against James Duckworth and Matteo Arnaldi.

Source : BBC

Rafael Nadal: Spaniard 'unsure' of hip injury concerns after Brisbane International exit

The Spaniard, 37, was playing his third match since returning from almost a year out with a hip problem.

Nadal needed a medical timeout when he was 1-4 down in the deciding set.

A winner of 22 Grand Slam titles, Nadal said the pain in his left hip is in a similar place to the injury that required an operation in June 2023, but he hopes this one is just muscular.

It comes just nine days before the start of the Australian Open in Melbourne, which he has won twice.

Nadal, who has dropped to 672nd in the rankings, said of his chances of playing in the tournament: "I don't know. I hope to have the chance to be practising next week and to play Melbourne.

"Honestly, I am not 100% sure of anything now. Then, the next couple of days, let's see how I feel. If I don't feel well, then we are going to do a test and we are going to check it.

"I feel the muscle tired. It is not the same like last year at all because when it happened last year, I felt something drastic immediately. Here I didn't feel anything.

"The only problem is, because the place is the same, you are a little bit more scared than usual. In an ideal world, it is just the muscle supercharged after a few days of effort and a very tough match.

"I have been taking a lot of precaution because I know, after a year, it is difficult for the body to be playing tournaments at the highest level. When things are becoming more difficult, you don't know how your body is going to react."

After wins over Dominic Thiem and Jason Kubler earlier this week, Nadal faced the toughest test of his comeback against Thompson, ranked 55th in the world. Friday's defeat was 33 minutes longer than his victories over Thiem and Kubler combined.

BBC

Rafael Nadal: Why Spanish great will be so missed at Australian Open

Two years ago, Rafael Nadal stood in the centre of Rod Laver Arena, hands over his mouth in disbelief.

In that moment, he stood alone.

He had just battled back from a two-set deficit against Daniil Medvedev, fighting for a little over five hours to lift the Australian Open title and secure a then-men's record 21st Grand Slam title.

It is a little different this year.

The 37-year-old had arrived in Australia on the first leg of his farewell tour, having said 2024 will likely be his last, but the tape that has long held up the body has unravelled a little further. A hip injury sustained at the Brisbane International has ruled him out of this year's tournament.

Nadal may still return to Melbourne - and if there is one thing his career has taught us, it is to never rule him out - but he may also have said goodbye to the city that was home to one of his "most emotional" moments.

Just as he worked this hard to get back for the Aus Open, he suffers another injury.

Should just call it a day at this point, his body can't take it any more sadly

His comeback is reminding me of Federer’s failed comeback in 2021. At this point, he needs to call it a day in order to have a better quality life post retirement.

Nadal's body is not helping him now. He should call time on is career now. He has achieved much and is already a legend of this game.

Rafael Nadal: Former world number one pulls out of Qatar Open

Rafael Nadal has put his return to competitive tennis on hold after pulling out of the Qatar Open.

Nadal, 37, made his long-awaited return after almost a year out with injury at January's Brisbane International.

However, the Spaniard sustained a hip injury at the tournament which ruled him out of the Australian Open.

"I would have loved to play in Doha," said Nadal, who was expected to be back for the ATP 250 tournament which starts on 19 February.

The 22-time Grand Slam winner added on X, formerly known as Twitter: "Unfortunately I am not ready to compete.

"I will focus on keep working to be ready for the exhibition in Las Vegas and the amazing Indian Wells tournament."

Nadal is scheduled to face compatriot Carlos Alcaraz in an exhibition match in Las Vegas on 3 March before making his ATP comeback at Indian Wells a few days later.

Speaking to Spanish broadcaster La Sexta, Nadal said he was unsure of how many tournaments he would be able to compete in this year.

In addition to the three remaining Grand Slams - the French Open, Wimbledon and US Open - the Olympic Games also take place this summer in Paris.

"I don't know which events I have left to play but between you and me, it's not going to be many," said Nadal, who won gold at the 2008 Games in Beijing.

"[Roland Garros] will be one of my goals. I'd like to play at the Olympics as well. It's not something I can confirm right now, but I hope I will... I think I will."

In May, after being forced to miss the French Open for the first time in 19 years, Nadal said 2024 would "probably" be the final year of his career.

BBC

Indian Wells: Rafael Nadal withdraws 24 hours before first-round match with Milos Raonic​

Rafael Nadal has pulled out of Indian Wells 24 hours before his first-round match with Milos Raonic on Friday.

Nadal, 37, made his long-awaited return at January's Brisbane International, after almost a year out with injury.

However, the Spaniard sustained a hip injury at the tournament which ruled him out of the Australian Open.

Nadal played an exhibition match against Carlos Alcaraz on Sunday, but said he is not yet ready "to play at the highest level".

"It is with great sadness that I have to withdraw from this amazing tournament," the 22-time Grand Slam winner wrote on Instagram.

"Everyone knows how much I love this place and how much I love to play here at Indian Wells. That's also one of the reasons why I came very early to the desert to practice and try to get ready."

In May, after being forced to miss the French Open for the first time in 19 years, Nadal said 2024 would "probably" be the final year of his career.

Last month, the former world number one said he was unsure of how many tournaments he would be able to compete in before retiring, but added that it was "not going to be many".

"I have been working hard and practicing and you all know I took a test this weekend but I don't find myself ready to play at the highest level at such an important event," Nadal, a three-time winner at Indian Wells, said on Thursday.

"It is not an easy decision, it's a tough one as a matter of fact but I can't lie to myself and lie to the thousands of fans. I will miss you all and I am sure the tournament will be a great success."

Nadal's next tournament is likely to be on his favoured clay surface at next month's Monte Carlo Masters, where he is an 11-time champion.

Rafael Nadal expected back on the clay at Monte Carlo

Rafael Nadal is set to make his return to the ATP Tour on the clay courts of Monte Carlo next month, tournament organisers announced on Tuesday.

Nadal missed almost all of the 2023 season with abdominal and other injuries and has played only the Brisbane International this season, where he suffered a flare-up of a hip injury.

The 37-year-old Spaniard was set to make his comeback at the Indian Wells Masters but pulled out of the hard-court event last week without playing a point.

The bombshell decision came four days after he lost a Las Vegas exhibition to compatriot and world number two Carlos Alcaraz.

The Monte Carlo Masters begins on April 7 and marks the beginning of the clay-court season where Nadal may well play his last-ever French Open, a Grand Slam event he has won a record 14 times.

Rafael Nadal has pulled out of the Monte Carlo Masters, saying his body "simply won't allow" him to play in the tournament, which starts on Sunday.

Nadal, 37, made his long-awaited return at January's Brisbane International after almost a year out with injury.

But the Spaniard injured a hip, which ruled him out of the Australian Open and has kept him sidelined ever since.

"You have no idea how hard this is for me to not be able to play these events," Nadal posted on X., external

After pulling out of Indian Wells last month and the Qatar Open before that, it was hoped 22-time Grand Slam champion Nadal would return to the court in Monte Carlo on his favoured clay surface.

"These are very difficult moments for me, sporting wise," he said. "Unfortunately I have to tell you that I am not going to be playing in Monte Carlo. My body simply won't allow me.

"And even if I am working hard & making the maximum effort every day with all the will to play and compete again at tournaments that have been very important for me, the truth is that I can't play today.

"The only thing I can do is to accept the situation and try to look at the immediate future keeping the excitement and will to play in order to give me a chance for things to get better."

In May last year, after being forced to miss the French Open for the first time in 19 years, Nadal said 2024 would "probably" be the final year of his career.

Missing the start of the clay-court season is the latest setback to his hopes of pursuing a 15th French Open title with the major beginning on 20 May.

Source: BBC

Rafael Nadal: 12-time Barcelona Open champion set to return to action after long injury lay-off​

Rafael Nadal looks set to make his long-awaited return to action at the Barcelona Open, although the 12-time champion has three days to decide whether he is fit enough to face Flavio Cobolli.

However, the Spaniard has yet to make a decision about whether he is fit enough to play and he will continue practising on his favourite clay surface in the lead-up to the tournament, which begins on Monday.

The 37-year-old 12-time champion in Barcelona has been forced to delay his comeback after picking up a micro muscle tear in Brisbane.

He has already withdrawn from the Australian Open, Qatar Open, Indian Wells and Monte Carlo Masters, with the French Open starting on May 20, where he is a record 14-time winner.

Should Nadal defeat world No 63 Cobolli, he will face fourth seed Alex De Minaur in the second round.

The Australian is enjoying the best season of his career having broken into the world's top 10 for the first time.

Rafael Nadal: 12-time Barcelona Open champion set to return to action after long injury lay-off​

Rafael Nadal looks set to make his long-awaited return to action at the Barcelona Open, although the 12-time champion has three days to decide whether he is fit enough to face Flavio Cobolli.

However, the Spaniard has yet to make a decision about whether he is fit enough to play and he will continue practising on his favourite clay surface in the lead-up to the tournament, which begins on Monday.

The 37-year-old 12-time champion in Barcelona has been forced to delay his comeback after picking up a micro muscle tear in Brisbane.

He has already withdrawn from the Australian Open, Qatar Open, Indian Wells and Monte Carlo Masters, with the French Open starting on May 20, where he is a record 14-time winner.

Should Nadal defeat world No 63 Cobolli, he will face fourth seed Alex De Minaur in the second round.

The Australian is enjoying the best season of his career having broken into the world's top 10 for the first time.

RAFAEL NADAL CONFIRMS HE WILL PLAY IN BARCELONA AFTER 'LAST-MINUTE' DECISION TO RETURN FOLLOWING INJURY LAY-OFF​

Rafael Nadal has confirmed that he will make his long-awaited return to tennis by playing in the upcoming Barcelona Open.

Nadal hasn’t played since the Brisbane International in January due to injury and has subsequently had to withdraw from a host of big tournaments including the Australian Open, Indian Wells and the Monte-Carlo Masters.

Nadal had suffered a muscle tear on his troublesome hip that robbed him of his 2023 season and there has been real concern over his participation at his favourite Grand Slam, the French Open.

But speaking at a press conference on Monday, Nadal has confirmed that he will be able to take part in Barcelona, an event he has won a record 12 times.

"I came here a bit on a last minute decision, not knowing if I could play," Nadal said.

"But tomorrow I’ll be on the court.

He added: "For me it's a gift to be able to be here in Barcelona, I will treat it as my last year [here] and I want to enjoy every moment."

Nadal is due to face Italy’s Flavio Cobolli in the first round and should he win he will face the in-form Alex De Minaur.

Monte Carlo champion Stefanos Tsitsipas could then await in the semi-finals.

However one name who won’t be present in Barcelona is the defending champion Carlos Alcaraz.

Nadal’s compatriot has had to withdraw with an arm injury, the same one that saw him also miss Monte-Carlo.

The race is also on for Alcaraz and the French Open, with the world No. 3 hoping to be fit to play in Madrid which starts on April 24, with the final taking place on Alcaraz’s birthday.

Rafael Nadal confirms appearance at Barcelona Open but suggests 2024 will be his last on tour

Rafael Nadal says he is "just trying to enjoy every moment" as he returns to the tour for the first time since January at this week's Barcelona Open.

After almost a year out with injuries, Nadal returned in Brisbane but has not played since because of a hip issue.

The 37-year-old said it "means" a lot to play "one more time" in Barcelona, adding further to the suggestion this will be his last year on tour.

"I can't give you an injury update because the list is long," Nadal said.

"I can only tell you that today I feel myself, enough good to be on court tomorrow and that for me is so important."

Spaniard Nadal, a 22-time Grand Slam singles champion, has been plagued by injuries in recent years.

After pulling out of last year's French Open he said he planned to retire after the 2024 season but on his return in Brisbane suggested he may continue if fit.

His match against Italian 21-year-old Flavio Cobolli on Tuesday in Barcelona, where he has won the title a record 12 times, will be his first on clay since winning the final of the 2022 French Open.

His return this week does raise hope of him competing next month at Roland Garros, where he has won 14 of his major titles.

"It means a lot to me to be able to play one more time here in Barcelona, a place that I have amazing success and a lot of unforgettable memories," he said.

"So, I am just trying to enjoy every moment and I am excited about being on court in a professional tournament again, especially here at home.

"I was not able to spend a lot of days on tour over the last two years, so I just want to enjoy every day I am able to play with the guys on a professional level. That means a lot for me."

Elsewhere in the draw Britain's Dan Evans was beaten 7-6 (7-2) 6-2 by American 22-year-old Brandon Nakashima.

But British number two Jack Draper, ranked three places above Evans, beat Czech world number 119 Vit Kopriva in the first round of the Bavarian International in Munich.

BBC

Rafael Nadal wins in straight sets at Barcelona Open on injury return

Rafael Nadal enjoyed a winning start at the Barcelona Open as he returned from another long-term injury in what could be his final year before retirement.

The Spanish 22-time major champion, who turns 38 in June, won 6-2 6-3 against inexperienced Italian Flavio Cobolli in their first-round match on Tuesday.

Now ranked 644th, Nadal was playing for the first time since January because of a hip injury and abdominal issues.

Nadal has indicated 2024 is likely to be his last as a professional player.

After pulling out of last year's French Open with the hip problem, the former world number one said he planned to retire at the end of this season.

Nadal, who is considered as one of the best players in history and greatest clay-courter of all time, has only played one event since.

But, before making his latest comeback in Barcelona, Nadal said he was not "putting a deadline" on his retirement and would only keep playing as long as he felt it was "worth it".

This win was a positive step, if a somewhat straightforward assignment, as the record 14-time champion aims to return to Roland Garros next month.

"I'm just having fun and happy to start with a victory," said Nadal, who faces a tougher opponent next in Australian world number 11 Alex de Minaur.

"I'm going through some tough moments but at the same time when I'm able to be on tour and compete a little bit it means a lot."

BBC

‘Had to happen’: Demon beats Nadal in legend’s backyard as Spaniard clings to Open dream

Rafael Nadal suffered his first defeat on his return to tennis after injury as he fell 7-5 6-1 against Aussie Alex de Minaur on Wednesday in the Barcelona Open second round.

The 22-time grand slam winner, back on court this week after three months on the sidelines, battled well but eventually crumbled against the hardworking World No.11.

De Minaur became the first Australian to beat Nadal on clay. He is also just the seventh player to beat Nadal on clay and Novak Djokovic on hardcourt in the same season.

Nadal, 37, who missed virtually all of the 2023 season, is hoping to compete at the French Open in May where he is the record 14-time champion.

“On a personal level, for what is to come, the 6-1 in the second set is what had to happen today,” said Nadal, who explained he did not want to push himself too far.

“That’s the way I need to proceed today, to give me a chance to compete at Roland Garros,” he added.

“I’ll try to take a step further in Madrid, then in Rome, and if, in any tournament it’s worth going out there to give everything and die, it’s in Paris.”

The Spaniard, who has won the Barcelona clay-court title on 12 occasions, had eased past Flavio Cobolli on Tuesday in his first ATP Tour match since January, but said he was not favourite against De Minaur who has now won his last two clashes against the former World No. 1.

It proved a far tougher challenge and despite showing flashes of his supreme quality on the court named after him, Nadal came up short in what he said he believes is his final appearance at the tournament.

The Australian broke in the first game and tested Nadal with a series of brilliant drop shots which Nadal could not reach.

However Nadal hit back with a break of his own in the sixth game and consolidated with a fizzing backhand for a 4-3 lead.

De Minaur broke to love to take a 6-5 lead as Nadal went wide and sealed the first set when the Spaniard pushed a shot into the net, winning the final 10 points as Nadal started to struggle.

The 25-year-old Australian broke for a 2-1 lead in the second set when Nadal could not return a powerful passing shot, and secured another break for 4-1.

De Minaur wrapped up his emphatic second set performance with a third break when Nadal went long.

It marked what Nadal said was “realistically” his final appearance at a tournament he loves.

“I had the chance to say goodbye here on court and that means a lot for me,” he added.

“A week ago I felt I was not able to play any more at this event, that would be painful, but at least I played and now it’s the moment to keep going.”

Tennis writer Scott Barclay said on X: “Whatever Alex De Minaur does or doesn’t achieve in the rest of his career, he’ll always have that time that he beat Rafael Nadal on Court Rafael Nadal.”

FOX SPORTS

RAFAEL NADAL JOINS STAR-STUDDED LINE-UP FOR TEAM EUROPE AT 2024 LAVER CUP - 'AN INCREDIBLE EXPERIENCE'​

Rafael Nadal will make what is likely to be his final Laver Cup appearance for Team Europe in September.

The 22-time Grand Slam champion, who indicated last year that this would be his final season on the circuit, joins a star-studded line up for the three-day event against Team World in Berlin.

Nadal recently made his latest comeback from injury at the Barcelona Open last week and will take on Darwin Blanch in the first round of the Madrid Open next as he continues his build-up to Roland Garros.

Although the former world No. 1 has hinted he could play on past this year, it is expected that the 37-year-old will retire at the end of the campaign.

Nadal last played at the Laver Cup in 2022, Roger Federer’s farewell tournament, when he partnered his long-time rival in the doubles. Both men were famously in tears afterwards.

“I have some really special memories from my Laver Cup experiences, including all the emotions from London two years ago playing alongside Roger for the last time,” said Nadal in a statement, who has played the event three times.

“At this stage in my career I really want to go out there and make the most of every opportunity I am given. Teaming up is always an incredible experience and I have always enjoyed it, the competition is different and exciting.

“I’m looking forward to going to Berlin and helping Team Europe win back the Laver Cup.”

Nadal joins a Team Europe squad which includes Carlos Alcaraz, Daniil Medvedev and Alexander Zverev, with more to be announced.

“Rafa is an absolute legend in our sport, a true champion in every sense of the word,” said Team Europe captain Bjorn Borg.

“It’s my last year as Captain. Having him on Team Europe this year was a goal of mine and I’m thrilled he has accepted my invitation and will be with us in Berlin. ”

Team World thumped Team Europe 13-2 during last year’s edition in Vancouver, though Borg was only able to count on two top-10 players: Andrey Rublev and Casper Ruud.

John McEnroe named the first three players for his Team World squad earlier this month, naming Alex de Minaur, Taylor Fritz and Tommy Paul as his first picks.

Nadal will only play at French Open if he feels 'capable to compete'

Rafael Nadal says he will only play at the French Open next month if he feels "capable enough to compete".

Spaniard Nadal, a 14-time champion at Roland Garros, missed the French Open for the first time in 19 years through injury in 2023.

The 37-year-old has indicated he plans to retire after the 2024 season.

He is set to make a farewell appearance at the Madrid Open this week and faces American 16-year-old Darwin Blanch in the first round on Thursday.

BBC

Nadal begins Madrid Open with straight-set win

Rafael Nadal began his Madrid Open farewell with a comfortable straight-set win over American teenager Darwin Blanch.

Spain's five-time champion, who has indicated he plans to retire after the 2024 season, took just 63 minutes to complete a 6-1 6-0 victory.

The 37-year-old said this week he will only play at the French Open next month if he feels "capable enough to compete".

Nadal will play Australian Alex de Minaur, who beat him in the second round of the Barcelona Open last week, in the next round.

The 22-time major winner was making his return following a three-month absence at the Barcelona Open, having feared he may not be able to play again on the professional tour.

The French Open, where Nadal is a record 14-time champion, starts on 26 May.

BBC

Rafael Nadal makes Carlos Alcaraz an Olympic Games offer he can’t refuse

There has been plenty of speculation surrounding a possible link-up between Rafael Nadal and Carlos Alcaraz at this summer’s Olympic Games in Paris and it seems as if this dream team may be about to become a reality.

Nadal has voiced concerns over whether he will be fit to play at the French Open next month, with the best-of-five-set format threatening to be a step too far for an ageing legend who is struggling with injuries.

Yet the Spanish icon who has suggested this may be his final year in tennis has two chances to play on the Roland Garros courts that have helped to establish his enduring legacy as the ultimate ‘King of Clay’ in men’s tennis.

The home of the French Open will also be the stage for the Olympic tennis tournament this summer, with shorter best-of-three-set matches in that event giving Nadal a more realistic chance to compete with the game’s biggest names.

He also looks set to enter the doubles competition with Alcaraz, after the young Spaniard admitted he was wary of asking his idol to play with him at the Olympics.

“It’s a decision that we have to make,” said Alcaraz of a possible Olympics partnership with Nadal.

“We spoke a little bit, but he was in a rush to get to his training. We are going to speak about the Olympic Games and if everything is going well, we are going to do it.

When asked whether Alcaraz has asked him to play with him in Paris 2024, Nadal offered up this answer.

“No, he doesn’t have to ask me anything. It’s also hugely exciting for me,” said Nadal.

“If I’m not mistaken, it is for him, too. It would be amazing to play a tournament together before the Olympics. To prepare ourselves and get some rapport on court.

“I think if we’re both fit enough, why not? We could have the chance to form a great team and aspire to great things. It’d be good for both of us. I think it’d also be good for the Spanish team.

“We’ll see how things progress. I hope to be good enough to be a good partner for him, I’m sure he will be for me. We’ll see where that takes us. I also hope to be able to work together a bit.

“We could have the chance to form a great team, and aspire to great things.”

Like so many tennis fans around the world, the final days of Nadal’s career are laced with sadness and joy, with Alcaraz sharing those emotions.

“Every time he’s going to step on the court, he’s going to compete in the tournaments, I’m going to enjoy it,” said the reigning Wimbledon campion in an interview with the Tennis Channel.

“I’m going to watch it and I’m going to enjoy it as much as I can. I remember watching his matches when I was growing up, and it’s fantastic to share the locker room, to share the tournaments with him a little bit.

“I hope it’s not going to be his last time here, I’m hoping that. From what he has said, it will probably be his last time.”

Nadal’s farewell to the Spanish fans may be an emotional experience at the Madrid Open, but that will be nothing compared to the joy he will feel if he wins an Olympic golf medal for Spain with Alcaraz this summer.

SOURCE: https://www.tennis365.com/tennis-news/rafael-nadal-makes-carlos-alcaraz-olympic-games-offer

In front of an adoring home support, Nadal beat Argentina's Cachin 6-1 6-7 6-3, recovering from a surprise second-set tiebreak defeat to win the crucial third set.

Source: SKY

Rafael Nadal is into the last 16 of the Madrid Open after a hard-fought victory over Argentina's Pedro Cachin.

The Spaniard, 37, came through 6-1 6-7 (5-7) 6-3 after three hours and six minutes on court.

Five-time champion Nadal is playing on the Madrid clay for the final time, in what he expects to be the last season of his career.

Nadal will play 30th seed Jiri Lehecka of the Czech Republic on Tuesday for a place in the quarter-finals.

BBC

Nadal falls to Lehecka in final Madrid Open match

Rafael Nadal says it has been a "very emotional" week after he made his last-ever appearance at the Madrid Open.

The former world number one, a five time champion in the Spanish capital, waved an emotional farewell to the tournament after losing in straight sets to Jiri Lehecka.

The 37-year-old has indicated he plans to retire after the 2024 season.

"I'm happy," Nadal said after the 7-5 6-4 defeat.

"It was a very special week for me, very positive and very emotional. I had the opportunity to play one more time here on this court.

"All I can say is thank you to everyone that has helped me in my career. It hasn't finished yet."

Despite losing, Nadal's previous success at the tournament was celebrated with a video tribute and he was awarded a commemorative trophy.

"This was a joke, because I'll be back next year," said Nadal, with his family watching on from the stands.

He added: "It has been a gift what you've given me here.

"The emotion that I get from this experience in Madrid, from the Spanish public... I was lucky as a kid to do the job that I love. I feel super fortunate to have lived the life that I've lived. I couldn't ask for anything more."

Nadal held firm in the opening stages, but Lehecka delivered the first blow at 5-5 and backed the break up with a hold to love to claim the opening set.

The Czech 30th seed continued to outpower the 22-time Grand Slam champion, who dropped serve early in the second set.

A raucous crowd in Manolo Santana Stadium roared on their home hope, but the sole break of serve proved enough for Lehecka to wrap up the after victory with his first match point after two hours three minutes.

He will face Russian third seed Daniil Medvedev, who defeated Kazakhstan's Alexander Bublik 7-6 (7-3) 6-4.

Meanwhile, Nadal, who made his return from a three-month injury absence at the Barcelona Open earlier this month, will take confidence from his three victories in Madrid that he can compete at the French Open for a final time.

A 14-time champion at Roland Garros, he missed the tournament for the first time in 19 years through injury in 2023.

BBC

RAFAEL NADAL 'EXCITED' AND SAYS HE IS 'INCREASING' HIS LEVEL AHEAD OF ITALIAN OPEN - 'THINGS ARE HAPPENING'​

Rafael Nadal says he is “excited about the way” he is now able to play and his level is improving as he continues his comeback at the Italian Open.

The 22-time Grand Slam champion made his return from injury a month ago in Barcelona.

There he won just one match, but in his following tournament in Madrid he looked sharper as he reached the last 16.

He will be looking to take further steps forward in Rome, where he is a 10-time champion.

“It’s a good moment, even if the results are not what (they) used to be,” said Nadal, who faces world No. 108 Zizou Bergs in the first round on Thursday.

“But I am increasing my feeling, my level… I want to keep going.

“The line is going up, without a doubt. Happy to be today where I am because one month ago for me was almost impossible to think that I will be able to play in Barcelona, then in Madrid, and now being here in Rome…Things are happening.

“All the matches are tough for me today and difficult and more unpredictable than what the matches used to be for me, especially on clay. I accept that role. I accept that challenge. I am excited about the way that I can be able to play if I keep working the proper way and my body allows me.”

Nadal's progress appears positive ahead of his likely final appearance at the French Open this summer.

The 37-year-old looks set to be playing his final season on tour, having returned at the start of 2024 in Brisbane following nearly a year out.

“It's day by day. This will be my third week almost in a row on the tour, third tournament almost in a row,” added Nadal.
"That hasn't happened for a super long time - that's good news.

"I need to keep going. I need to keep exploring how I will be able to manage to play every day. But I'm happy the way that I feel today."

Nadal will be one of the headline names in Rome alongside world No. 1 Novak Djokovic.

Missing from the event will be Jannik Sinner and Carlos Alcaraz as both are recovering from injury issues.

"When you push your body to the limit, you get injured," said Nadal.

"When the game is faster and faster and faster, you get injured.

"When you play most of the year on hard courts and the surfaces are tougher for the body, you get injured. That's the simple answer.

"It is also about the tournaments, about the business, about the sport. At the end the players want to make money.

The tournaments want to make money. The cycles come together.

"We accept that role. Things happen. You cannot complain about that. You accept what's going on. You keep going. You get injured, you have to recover well.

"They are young (Alcaraz and Sinner), they are going to have plenty of time to play in Rome and have a lot of success here. No drama."

Nadal fights back to reach second round in Rome

Rafael Nadal continued his French Open preparation by fighting back from a set down to beat Belgian qualifier Zizou Bergs in the opening round of the Italian Open in Rome.

The former world number one, a 10-time champion in the Italian capital, won 4-6 6-3 6-4.

Nadal, 37, has indicated he plans to retire after the 2024 season.

Although not at his best, the Spaniard said he "found a way to win" on his favoured clay surface as he builds up to what is expected to be his final appearance at the French Open later this month.

BBC

Rafael Nadal has been knocked out of the Italian Open by world number nine Hubert Hurkacz.

In what is likely to be the Spaniard's final appearance in Rome, Nadal, 37, was comfortably beaten 6-1 6-3 by the big-serving Pole in just 93 minutes.

Nadal, a 10-time winner in the Italian capital, has indicated that 2024 is likely to be his final season before retirement.

The 14-time French Open champion says he is yet to decide whether to play at Roland Garros this year. The tournament starts on 26 May.

"The decision, as you can imagine, is not clear in my mind today," Nadal said.

"But if I have to say what's my feeling and if my mind is closer one way or the other way, I'm going to say 'be in Roland Garros and try my best'.

"Physically, I have some issues, but not probably yet enough to say not playing in the most important event of my tennis career."

Elsewhere, Great Britain's Jack Draper was beaten 7-5 6-4 by defending champion Daniil Medvedev, who will face qualifier Hamad Medjedovic in the last 32.

Polish world number one Iga Swiatek booked her place in the women's last 16 with a 6-3 6-4 win over Yulia Putintseva.

Swiatek came from 4-1 down in the second set to extend her winning streak to eight matches, and plays Angelique Kerber next after her straight-set win over Aliaksandra Sasnovich.

Naomi Osaka has still not dropped a set in the tournament so far after beating Daria Kasatkina 6-3 6-3.

The Japanese former world number three plays the winner of Linda Noskova and Qinwen Zheng in the last 16.

Source: BBC

Back