Ray Liotta: Goodfellas actor dies aged 67 as he shoots new movie in Caribbean

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Goodfellas actor Ray Liotta has died aged 67, his representative has confirmed.

He passed away in his sleep in the Dominican Republic, Jennifer Allen said. No foul play is suspected.

He was shooting a movie called Dangerous Waters and was engaged to be married.

His fiancee, Jacy Nittolo, was with him as he worked on his latest project. He leaves a daughter, Karsen.

In Goodfellas, released in 1990, Liotta played real-life mobster Henry Hill in Martin Scorcese's critically acclaimed film.

Lorraine Bracco, who played Hill's wife, Karen, said she was "utterly shattered to hear this terrible news about my Ray".

She tweeted: "I can be anywhere in the world and people will come up and tell me their favourite movie is Goodfellas.

"Then they always ask what was the best part of making that movie. My response has always been the same…Ray Liotta."

Born in Newark, New Jersey in December 1954, Liotta's first break came with the role of Ray Sinclair in Something Wild in 1986, for which he received a Golden Globe nomination.

He also played Shoeless Joe Jackson in Field of Dreams and Tommy Vercetti in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. In 1998 TV movie The Rat Pack, he played Frank Sinatra.

After being abandoned at an orphanage as a baby, he was adopted at six months by township clerk Mary and auto-parts store owner Alfred Liotta.

His career was still very much active. Recent projects included The Many Saints of Newark, Marriage Story and No Sudden Move.

Speaking in 2016, Liotta said he had regrets about the course of his career - including turning down the chance to audition for Tim Burton's Batman movie.

"I wish I'd handled my career differently but, you know, hindsight..." he commented.

"When I did my first movie, Tim Burton was getting ready to do Batman and he was interested in me because he wanted it to be edgy and real.

"I thought, 'Batman? That's a stupid idea,' even though he had just done one of my favourite movies of all time, Beetlejuice. So, yes, I regret not auditioning for that."

SKY

RIP

Sad. Goodfellas is still imo the best Mob movie of all time. Liotta was epic, the star even with the likes of Joe Pesci and Robert De-Niro.

No Escape was another great movie of his.

Very sad! What a legend. RIP

Loved his roles in Goodfellas and Hannibal.

My first Liotta movie was Identity..... one of the best thrillers of the noughties

Great actor will be remembered for his role in Goodfellas

67 still relatively young compared to De Niro, Pacino & Co

Very sad to hear the news earlier today

Superb in Goodfellas, but his career vanished because he was reputedly difficult to the point of obnoxious to work with.

Martin Scorsese, Robert De Niro and Kevin Costner have paid tribute to the "uniquely gifted" Ray Liotta, who has died age 67.

The actor died in his sleep in the Dominican Republic where he was making a new film. No foul play is suspected.

Liotta is best known for playing real-life mobster Henry Hill in the classic gangster movie Goodfellas in 1990.

Its director, Martin Scorsese, said he was "absolutely shocked and devastated by the sudden, unexpected death".

"He was so uniquely gifted, so adventurous, so courageous as an actor," he said in a statement.

"Playing Henry Hill in Goodfellas was a tall order, because the character had so many different facets, so many complicated layers, and Ray was in almost every scene of a long, tough shoot.

"He absolutely amazed me, and I'll always be proud of the work we did together on that picture."

Star Wars' Obi-Wan Kenobi star Hayden Christensen talks teaming back up with Ewan McGregor and pulling the Vader suit on

Amber Heard makes emotional return to the stand as final witness in Johnny Depp libel trial

Robert De Niro starred alongside Liotta in the film and released a statement that said: "I was very saddened to learn of Ray's passing. He is way too way young to have left us."

Lorraine Bracco, who played his wife, said she was "utterly shattered to hear this terrible news about my Ray".

She tweeted: "I can be anywhere in the world and people will come up and tell me their favourite movie is Goodfellas.

"Then they always ask what was the best part of making that movie. My response has always been the same…Ray Liotta."

Kevin Costner and Seth Rogen were among others paying tribute to the New Jersey-born star.

Liotta appeared as a famous baseball player in Costner's Field Of Dreams and the actor tweeted a clip of the pair from the movie.

"Devastated to hear the news of Ray Liotta's passing," he said.

"While he leaves an incredible legacy, he'll always be 'Shoeless Joe Jackson' in my heart. What happened that moment in the film was real. God gave us that stunt. Now God has Ray."

Rogen, who worked with Liotta on 2009's Observe and Report, called him a "talented and hilarious person" and said "working with him was one of the great joys of my career".

Born in Newark, New Jersey in December 1954, Liotta's first break came with the role of Ray Sinclair in Something Wild in 1986, for which he received a Golden Globe nomination.

After being abandoned at an orphanage as a baby, he was adopted at six months by township clerk Mary and auto-parts store owner Alfred Liotta.

He also played Tommy Vercetti in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, and in a 1998 TV film, The Rat Pack, he portrayed the legendary Frank Sinatra.

His Broadway debut came in 2004 in dramatic comedy Match, while he also appeared in Muppets From Space and Muppets Most Wanted.

His career was still very much active. Recent projects included The Many Saints of Newark, Marriage Story and No Sudden Move.

Speaking in 2016, Liotta said he had regrets about the course of his career - including turning down the chance to audition for Tim Burton's Batman film.

"I wish I'd handled my career differently but, you know, hindsight…" he commented.

"When I did my first movie, Tim Burton was getting ready to do Batman, and he was interested in me because he wanted it to be edgy and real.

"I thought, 'Batman? That's a stupid idea,' even though he had just done one of my favourite movies of all time, Beetlejuice. So, yes, I regret not auditioning for that."

Goodfellas remained the film for which he was best known - something he was comfortable with.

"People ask if I'm bothered by that, but no, Goodfellas will be a top 10 movie for years and years, it seems," he said.

"I have kids coming up to me like the movie's just come out that week… That and Field Of Dreams. I get a lot of Field Of Dreams lovers too."

SKY

Brilliant acting from Ray in the final act of Goodfellas — when Henry is gaining weight, rushing in and out of his house, is high on cocaine and ravaged by paranoia — he’s convinced that the FBI has him constantly under surveillance and that agents are following his car in helicopters. You can see Henry Hill on a slide and crumbling before our eyes, it’s perfectly captured by Liotta.

Superb in Goodfellas, but his career vanished because he was reputedly difficult to the point of obnoxious to work with.

Shame because the guy was dripping with charisma. Strange that he died at 67, I watched The many Saints of Newark just a few weeks back, and I was thinking how good he still looked at that age. The film is a prequel to The Sopranos for those that don't know, and it was pretty bad.

RIP. A great and versatile actor (Theatre background).

He was also the voice in GTA Vice City.

Will be missed.

I digit that he played Shoeless Joe in Field of Dreams.

He was chilling as Henry Hill. Those dead eyes when he laughed. Nobody in….

Jacy Nittolo will always treasure her time with the 'Goodfellas' star - who died in May aged 67 - but admitted the months since he passed away have been incredibly painful.

She wrote on Instagram: “I’ve been without Ray for almost 6 months now. Most days are unbearable.

“I find it hard to breathe without him.

“Today and every day I am so thankful for the memories he gave me. They were the best years of my life."

Jacy - who has Dax, Chazz, Joey and Jade with ex-husband Joey Nittolo - went on to express her gratitude to her loved ones, including both her family and Ray and his ex-wife Michelle Grace's daughter Karsen, 23.

She added in her post for Thanksgiving on Thursday (24.11.22): "I’m thankful for my family and children who have been there for me every step of the way. You keep me going.

“I’m thankful for Karsen who laughs and cries with me daily. We are connected for life.

“I’m so grateful for my friends old and new, I don’t know what I would do without your continuous support. Even with such enduring pain, I feel blessed and I’m truly thankful.”

The 47-year-old businesswoman - who got engaged to Ray in December 2020 - got a tattoo in honour of the 'Black Bird' star in August.

Alongside a slideshow of photos of herself in the tattoo parlour, she wrote on Instagram at the time: "Yesterday marked 3 months. . It only seemed appropriate to do something meaningful that will forever be with me.

What an honor to have Mark Mahoneys gift do the work. [MENTION=132401]markm[/MENTION]ahoney_ssc Thank you @babspatrick for a beautiful day and @chazznittolo for capturing it."(sic)

Back in June, Jacy could hardly believe that it had been a month since she lost her husband-to-be and claimed there were "no words" to truly describe the pain she was feeling.

She wrote: "It’s hard to believe a month has gone by. There are no words to properly describe what one goes through with this type of unexpected loss. I miss him every second of every day.(sic)"

Back