Report - 1st Test, Day 4 : New Zealand seal eight wicket win to take 1-0 series lead

Abdullah719

T20I Captain
Runs
Toss: New Zealand won the toss, Kane Williamson chose to bowl first.

Teams

New Zealand: TWM Latham, JA Raval, KS Williamson (c), LPRL Taylor, HM Nicholls, C de Grandhomme, BJ Watling (wk), TG Southee, TD Astle, N Wagner, TA Boult.

Pakistan: Sami Aslam, Azhar Ali, Babar Azam, Younis Khan, Misbah-ul-Haq (c), Asad Shafiq, Sarfraz Ahmed (wk), Mohammad Amir, Sohail Khan, Yasir Shah, Rahat Ali.

Sohail started off the day with a four and a three off the first couple of balls as Pakistan looked to extend the lead with the tailender showing a lot more intent that Pakistan's other batsmen. Shafiq seemed to edge a ball behind from Wagner with Snicko picking up a spike but New Zealand had no reviews left. Sohail continued aggressively, ultimately playing a shot too many as he pulled the ball straight to the man at backward square-leg after making Pakistan's top score of 40. Soon, Shafiq's scratchy innings came to an end as he went for a pull against Wagner with Raval taking an excellent catch. The innings finished with the hapless Rahat giving a simple catch at square leg as Pakistan were bowled out for 171, setting New Zealand a target of 105.

New Zealand were circumspect in the first few overs with no pressure chasing such a small target. Amir struck in the 9th over, however, as Latham fended a good short delivery to gully. Williamson came out with positive intent, rotating the strike well as Pakistan's plan of putting the batsmen under pressure failed to materialise. The batsmen made good progress as Yasir Shah also proved ineffective. There was an appeal and subsequent unsuccessful review for LBW against Raval as New Zealand went to Lunch at 58/1. The chase resumed in a similar manner after the break as Raval was strong in defence while Willliamson was positive as he reached a 56-ball fifty. He perished towards the end, top-edging a sweep as Raval hit the winning runs for New Zealand.

Summary: Quite a straightforward win for New Zealand, ultimately. Sohail showed good intent in the morning but the damage had already been done. Pakistan have a lot of work to do ahead of the second Test with the batting once again the primary source of concern. Another similar performance at Hamilton will see Pakistan heading into Australia having been whitewashed. Pakistan's recent unbeaten record in Test series will be at stake when they come out to play the second Test.

Fall of wickets:

8-158 (Sohail Khan, 72.6 ov)
9-166 (Asad Shafiq, 75.6 ov)
10-171 (Rahat Ali, 78.4 ov)

1-19 (Latham, 8.2 ov)
2-104 (Williamson, 30.6 ov)

Debutants batted and bowled well. Both teams bowled well. The batting was the difference. Fielding was good from both sides too. Plenty too learn from for both sides.

Pakistan fans dont be to hard on your team, nothing they could of done to win once they lost the toss, the batting failures came from being so far behind the game and the pressure from batting firts on that pitch. If we NZ had lost the toss we would of lost too and then people would be blaming Kane and asking for blood.
Hope the 2nd Test the toss isnt crucial.

Well done NZ! Pakistan bowlers did very well but were let down by their batsmen who had overinflated averages due to playing in the desert for too long. I hope they will adapt and provide better competition.

Familiar, pathetic batting

With such inept batting displays, Pakistan will surely lose 3-0 in Australia ... AGAIN. Misbah's stats will take a big hit. He should have retired on a high after the England series.

Our batsmen can cope with English conditions but somehow they can never do well as a unit on Australian pitches and this time they have been found wanting in NZ as well (where we have not lost a test series for a long time). However preparation was less than ideal with the only warm-up match washed out

Need to take a leaf out of South African book and learn how to bat well in Aussie conditions. They have just won their third successive test series in Australia, some achievement that.... and they achieved that without their regular captain and best batsman AB de Villiers. Faf du Plessis has done a great job as stand-in skipper.

Last edited:
Yes, Pakistani batting failed but only blind cannot see the difference in quality of pace battery between Pakistan and new Zealand.

I did not watch this game but that's one bizarre scorecard, what the heck happened?!

The NZ bowling wasn't even spectacular, the batting was just awful.

Yes, Pakistani batting failed but only blind cannot see the difference in quality of pace battery between Pakistan and new Zealand.

The bare fact is that ALL teams excel in home conditions. The same NZ pace attack was not that effective in India in the test series. Even so we should have batted better than this.

Looks like Misbah will miss the second Test, looks like 2-0 to me unless he can somehow get back to NZ on time.
People will say he shouldnt make that much difference, just look at NZ since McCullem retired....

Hollow win, I finally understand what it's like to ambush a visiting team on a toss dependent pitch.

Have no idea how Indian fans can take pride in such wins.

At least I didn't do an over by over analysis of Colin to convince PPers that he's legit :yk

Last edited by a moderator:
Hollow win, I finally understand what it's like to ambush a visiting team on a toss dependent toss.

Have no idea how Indian fans can take pride in such wins.

At least I didn't do an over by over analysis of Colin to convince PPers that he's legit :yk

You are comparing a guy with 228 test wickets to a debutante?

No preparation, alien conditions, washed out warm up game and outdoor practice session - In short, horrible horrible scheduling and planning on the part of PCB.

Well done guys :14:

P.S. [MENTION=132954]Aman[/MENTION] congratulations on 2-0 win here mate, clearly the better team in every aspect in the series.

No preparation, alien conditions, washed out warm up game and outdoor practice session - In short, horrible horrible scheduling and planning on the part of PCB.

P.S. [MENTION=132954]Aman[/MENTION] congratulations on 2-0 win here mate, clearly the better team in every aspect in the series.
You can easily turn it around in Hamilton.

Still. You don't fluke that many wickets regardless of the conditions. a better comparison would be Ashwin and Philander.
Philander has proven himself on flat wickets, they aren't remotely comparable.

You will win in Hamilton i think. There will be bounce but not much lateral movement. Perfect for Wahab.

He hasn't. If conditions/pitch aid swing/seam, he's brilliant but otherwise he's quite OK but nothing more.
The WACA didn't offer him much at all, he bowled excellent lines and used the very little that was there to pick up wickets.

You can easily turn it around in Hamilton.

Yes we can, but by the looks of it, Misbah won't be around to rally the troops :( and I have ZERO confidence in Azhar to inspire a win in alien conditions...........

You will win in Hamilton i think. There will be bounce but not much lateral movement. Perfect for Wahab.

Bowling is not the problem here, it's the batting that was basically at fault in this game. Plus given how we are loosing our beloved gezagvoerder next game I am skeptical of us even being competitive at Hamilton; Let alone winning a decider !!

Yes we can, but by the looks of it, Misbah won't be around to rally the troops :( and I have ZERO confidence in Azhar to inspire a win in alien conditions...........

Bowling is not the problem here, it's the batting that was basically at fault in this game. Plus given how we are loosing our beloved gezagvoerder next game I am skeptical of us even being competitive at Hamilton; Let alone winning a decider !!

The batting will do much better in Hamilton. Only Wagner will be a threat there. Both Boult and Southee will find it harder there. Pakistan can easily win unless we see a Williamson daddy hundred/double.

Not difficult at all if you win the toss and use the favorable conditions early on.

I can see us being knocked over for ~200 before Pakistan score 400+ in response, and then bounce us out in the third innings.

Last edited:
The batting will do much better in Hamilton. Only Wagner will be a threat there. Both Boult and Southee will find it harder there. Pakistan can easily win unless we see a Williamson daddy hundred/double.
No chance of that.

Kane has been giving his wicket away like a hack of late.

And yeah, Wagner will be the only threat from day 2 onwards.

Worrying signs, losing to Windies and being besten comprehensively here. Not a settled team as many keep saying.
Our batting has allways been rubbish. We have more often than not been saved by good pitches and good bowlers. Once one of these two go missing we know what will happen.

Worrying signs, losing to Windies and being besten comprehensively here. Not a settled team as many keep saying.
Our batting has allways been rubbish. We have more often than not been saved by good pitches and good bowlers. Once one of these two go missing we know what will happen.

Exactly !! A reality check for all us fans, including me, who went on the rhetoric of #1 test team in the world !! A few months back.

The batting is a far cry from being Ideal and solid.....From the looks of it, I don't see us as a force to reckon with once we come out of our comfort zone which is a worrying sign for a team that is about to play 3 test at one of the most toughest venues in world cricket aka Australia

If we have Wahab then they have Wagner...

Im suprised Wahab doesnt bowl like Wagner especially as he is 10kph faster.
I must say i am suprised that Wagner has been so effective the last year, he is barely 130kph and bowls a bouncer every ball, He has got 5fer against Australia and SA doing this approach so it seems its not just Asian teams that struggle with the short ball.

Wahab could be lethal if he bowl with aggression like Wagner plus he has the advantage of bowling a reverse swinging yorker at 145kph as a suprise ball with the bouncers

The only positive aspect for Pakistan was that they actually caught quite well. I couldn't recall any dropped catches.

Other than this, they were quite under-whelming. Hopefully, they learn from this experience, the importance of demonstrating 'intent' when batting. This does not necessarily mean hitting boundaries, but looking for singles. On helpful surfaces, if the bowlers are not challenged then it is only a matter of time.

At the same time, whilst Pakistan were quite flat against the West Indies and have lost here, we shouldn't overreact. This has always been a team that has flaws but what they have demonstrated in the past is an often surprising resilience. So I expect a much better performance in Hamilton.

Congrats to NZ.

As for Pak, the batsmen need to get their act together or some changes need to be made, once they come back.

I got the impression that once they'd turned up to the ground saw the wicket, the conditions and then lost the toss, this match was over.

Negative mindset going into the match. Very little preparation. Always a recipe for disaster.

NZ deserved it and were up for a scrap after their Indian tour. Pakistan batting was so unprepared it was hardly surprising to seem them fold like a deck of cards in both innings.

The dropping of Wahab was also a surprise, as was the inclusion of Babar at #3 on his debut away tour, on swinging an seaming conditions.

Final note, the openers have to realise playing the mannequin challenge doesn't work and they have to score runs after playing off the new ball. Some irresponsible batting throughout.

I got the impression that once they'd turned up to the ground saw the wicket, the conditions and then lost the toss, this match was over.

Negative mindset going into the match. Very little preparation. Always a recipe for disaster.

Yup. Once I saw that Pakistan lost the toss and the strike rate that Sami and Azhar were batting at, I pretty much knew that NZ would win.

Awful performance.

But people are happy to use the no preparation in the condition excuse so it doesn't matter.

Back