Report: PCB Asks For Compensation From ICC If India Refuse To Play Champions Trophy 2025

Rather than playing in UAE, India's matches could be shifted to Mohali. Just easier to travel?

PCB can't do anything to force India to come. However all other teams should have no issues or problems in playing in Pakistan. India is free to play all their games in the UAE but all other games not involving India will have to be held in Pakistan. A Pakistan UAE hybrid model in the month of February March 2025 is perfectly possible and weather will not be a factor. India has to reasonably agree to it.
Play full tournaments either in Pakistan ( With or without india ) or UAE .I don't think all team accept hybrid model as they have to travel another country to Play with india then comeback for Pakistan again there is huge difference between Asia cup and CT

There is nothing called turn. That system was terminated long back.

The ICC executive board extended the deadline, it had all the members.

Due process will cause more problems for PCB as in future also other boards will want such voting and PCB is likely to come out as losers.

PCB can either take compensation and let the CT be shifted partially or fully.

Or

It can arrange the funds.

PCB isn't in a position to take on the rest of the cricketing world.

There was an active rotational policy up to that point but regardless we are veering off course with this discussion.

Due process is more to exercise their rights as a member. I think it's got to the point where the PCB is already not getting its way within the organization during votes, so it has nothing to lose.

If we look at it realistically, the PCB will likely take compensation knowing how it conducts business. The hybrid model is interesting depending on the logistics.

It wasn’t a favor and BCCI and ICC are not fools that they would perceive it as one.

PCB were looking after their own interests because boycotting an ICC tournament would have major implications and repercussions.

It would have been a favor if not going to India for the World Cup wouldn’t have harmed PCB in any way but that is clearly not the case.

Firstly, congrats on crossing 100,000 runs. :don

I don't think you need to be 100% safe or losing money for something to be a favor. Pakistan came to India during political turmoil where the Indian government has repeatedly accused the country of serious offenses.

Yes, they benefitted from it but so will the BCCI if they come to Pakistan.

Next years elections in India should determine if India will visit Pakistan or not. Maybe wait till then before doing anything.
Looking at results of few state elections today in India, I don't think Congress is coming into power next year.
Even by some miracle Congress forms government, it won't send Ind team to Pakistan. Ind tour of Pak will give oppositions a chance to question Congress.
Timeline is also not in favour. It'll too early for a new govt to take decision like that.

I don’t buy this “financial consequences repercussions” nonsense..

Plenty of countries have boycotted international tournaments before.. just take a look at 1938 FIFA WC and the 1980 Olympics in Russia

Even last year FIFA / UEFA kicked out Russia from the EURO 2024 Qualifying and 2022 FIFA WC. I guess it goes both ways right? Russia could have pulled out anyway if they wanted to..

My position is clear.. Only accept the hybrid model if India agrees to play SF or Final in Pakistan..

If they drag their feet or say no - pull out of 2024 WorldT20 and watch everything magically fix itself by 2025..

As things stand today India will not play in Pakistan.

Pakistan can try pulling out of 2024WT20, India still won't travel to Pakistan.

ICC can do absolutely nothing to force the indian government to comply. This is beyond ICC, so pakistan boycott will make no affect.

Infact it will only strengthen the BCCI's resolve to move the CT out of pakistan.

ICC members get their money on the basis of the members participation agreement they sign with the ICC. If pakistan isn't signing the MPA it won't get money from the ICC. Same goes for BCCI or any other board.

As things stand today India will not play in Pakistan.

Pakistan can try pulling out of 2024WT20, India still won't travel to Pakistan.

ICC can do absolutely nothing to force the indian government to comply. This is beyond ICC, so pakistan boycott will make no affect.

Infact it will only strengthen the BCCI's resolve to move the CT out of pakistan.

ICC members get their money on the basis of the members participation agreement they sign with the ICC. If pakistan isn't signing the MPA it won't get money from the ICC. Same goes for BCCI or any other board.

Well it works the other way too right?

ICC cannot force Pakistan to play in the 2024 WorldT20 - especially if our government steps in. Yes we signed the MPA but there is also a Force Majeure clause that we can use..

I believe it was used by SAF, England and Australia when they refused to participate in the 2009 CT that was supposed to be in Pakistan..

ICC cannot force Pakistan to play in the 2024 WorldT20 - especially if our government steps in. Yes we signed the MPA but there is also a Force Majeure clause that we can use..

I believe it was used by SAF, England and Australia when they refused to participate in the 2009 CT that was supposed to be in Pakistan..
Isn't the 2024 WC in WI/USA. What will be force-majeure trigger? Don't have to tell what it was in 2009

Pakistan has a poor track record on keeping its promises and prevailing in litigation. eg. is the ICC revenue model in 2023

What makes you confident it will be different this time?

Everyone refused to tour Pakistan not just three teams.

If Pakistan doesn't play 2024WT20, Pakistan doesn't get paid. If PCB is ready to lose $34 mn every year from the ICC its their call.

People missing the most important point.

ICC hasn't signed the hosting agreement with PCB. So Pakistan doesn't have any legal document to host yet.

FYI BCCI hasn't signed the members participation agreement with ICC yet. They want clarity on hosts it seems.

So ICC will have to decide on CT hosting soon.
Icc have signed hosting right with pcb for champion trophy 2025

Back