Report: PCB Asks For Compensation From ICC If India Refuse To Play Champions Trophy 2025

Each ICC tournament generates 600 million dollars
80% of it comes from India because India has a large population and is a ONE sport country

That is 480 million dollars
ICC would want the payment In dollars otherwise we can just print our currency and give it to them lol

Anyways, our reserves as a country are 7 billion USD
Cannot give 480 million to the ICC for a meaningless tournament like the Champions Trophy. It's too much

You have 2 years to do this. You don't need to arrange the resources immediately.

If Pakistan cannot do this. How are other boards supposed to take the financial hit they will face if CT is player without India?

If we're being fair, Pakistan came to India and the favor should be returned. It's a bad look for the BCCI to turn around and do this but it is what it is especially if everyone else is willing to turn up.

I think Pakistan should apply more pressure on the ICC and not give them an easy way out. Just say we are hosting the tournament with or without India.

If the other members don't want to lose money they can convince the BCCI.

If Pakistan can play in India in a ICC tournament then unless there is some safety concern, why can't India play in Pakistan? I can see not wanting to play bilateral but ICC events everyone should play in Pakistan unless there is some safety concern.

Why would we boycott a game organized by USA? At least make some logical sense. We should simply refuse to visit India if they refuse to visit Pakistan.

Sorry but we are way beyond logic and reason..

That is the issue PCB and us fans don’t realize..

Time to hit the ICC / BCCi in their pockets and not give millions of fans the satisfaction of making any more money off of us..

If we're being fair, Pakistan came to India and the favor should be returned. It's a bad look for the BCCI to turn around and do this but it is what it is especially if everyone else is willing to turn up.

I think Pakistan should apply more pressure on the ICC and not give them an easy way out. Just say we are hosting the tournament with or without India.

For other members it's easier to convince PCB with money than BCCI.

PCB has already given up the ground by saying they will take money in lieu of the India matches.

Sorry but we are way beyond logic and reason..

That is the issue PCB and us fans don’t realize..

Time to hit the ICC / BCCi in their pockets and not give millions of fans the satisfaction of making any more money off of us..

The ICC is yet to sign the hosting agreement with PCB. Why do you think they are doing that?

Many including me predicted another hybrid tournament fiasco, but even that might be off the table now since they've got into talking about compensation right off the bat. Sad that we could give up a chance to develop our cricket so easily.

If the entire tournament is moved I hope it's not the UAE, good memories of beating england and australia there in tests but the atmosphere is so lifeless.

Many including me predicted another hybrid tournament fiasco, but even that might be off the table now since they've got into talking about compensation right off the bat. Sad that we could give up a chance to develop our cricket so easily.

If the entire tournament is moved I hope it's not the UAE, good memories of beating england and australia there in tests but the atmosphere is so lifeless.
Pakistan and ICC has not signed the hosting agreement as of yet.

There's also a chance that the whole tournament may get moved from Pakistan if ICC deems it's not feasible.

Pakistan and ICC has not signed the hosting agreement as of yet.

There's also a chance that the whole tournament may get moved from Pakistan if ICC deems it's not feasible.
ICC has still marked us as the host. Should have moved towards getting the agreement signed, and then BCCI can work out what to do for their games.

Unfortunately we are all too eager to bend the knee and find the easy way out.

ICC has still marked us as the host. Should have moved towards getting the agreement signed, and then BCCI can work out what to do for their games.

Unfortunately we are all too eager to bend the knee and find the easy way out.
Marking isn't legally binding.

Agreements are.

The sooner PCB signs one, the better for PCB.

But right now, before even signing, if PCB talks about compensation, then it's very premature and tarnishes the relationships.

Marking isn't legally binding.

Agreements are.

The sooner PCB signs one, the better for PCB.

But right now, before even signing, if PCB talks about compensation, then it's very premature and tarnishes the relationships.
Agree, should have taken a stronger stance. A chance to host is such a privilege yet we are throwing it in the bin with shoddy negotiations. Even if a contract wasn't signed in those talks as of yet our intention should have been there.

For other members it's easier to convince PCB with money than BCCI.

PCB has already given up the ground by saying they will take money in lieu of the India matches.

Non-official sources about internal conversations don't hold much weight (if we assume this news to be true). These are preliminary discussions and simple fact-finding from the PCB to consider different scenarios.

The PCB needs to test its position and maintain its hosting status. I don't think there's anything wrong in doing so as it has a legitimate right as the host.

The BCCI and other members have no leg to stand on here when trying to convince the PCB. All they can do is flex their financial muscle and Pakistan should refuse to budge. Pakistan just went to India for the World Cup under similar security/political concerns and that will only strengthen its position in upcoming discussions.

I refuse to believe the ICC will find it easy to remove the tournament from Pakistan where Pakistan is not cooperating. Their bluff has to be called here.

Another egg on face moments awaits PCB, specially with clowns at the helm expect no wonders

Non-official sources about internal conversations don't hold much weight (if we assume this news to be true). These are preliminary discussions and simple fact-finding from the PCB to consider different scenarios.

The PCB needs to test its position and maintain its hosting status. I don't think there's anything wrong in doing so as it has a legitimate right as the host.

The BCCI and other members have no leg to stand on here when trying to convince the PCB. All they can do is flex their financial muscle and Pakistan should refuse to budge. Pakistan just went to India for the World Cup under similar security/political concerns and that will only strengthen its position in upcoming discussions.

I refuse to believe the ICC will find it easy to remove the tournament from Pakistan where Pakistan is not cooperating. Their bluff has to be called here.

ICC has not signed the hosting agreement with PCB, so PCB has no legal document with it to pursue any cause.

If PCB threatens to boycott the CT 2025, SL is likely to take its place. PCB will end up losing the hosting rights plus the ICC revenue share and spoil relations with the ICC.

There are only three scenarios here

ICC agrees to host the tournament in Pakistan without India and all members agree to take a 500mn USD loss.

ICC moves the tournament out of Pakistan wholly or partially and compensates Pakistan with a few million dollars.

PCB agrees to make up the losses for ICC and the tournament goes ahead in Pakistan without India.

If the tournament isn't financially viable, ICC will have no option but to move the tournament.

Pakistan Likely To Lose Hosting Rights Of Champions Trophy 2025, Tournament Could Be Held In Hybrid Model, Say Reports

Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) is set to receive another blow from the International Cricket Council (ICC) as they might lose the complete hosting rights of the Champions Trophy 2025. As per reports, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is not interested in changing its stance in the next two years over not touring Pakistan to play cricket. Indian men's cricket team did not travel to Pakistan for the Asia Cup 2023 as well due to security concerns.

BCCI secretary Jay Shah had made it clear that until the government gives clearance, the Indian team will not travel across the border. That decision had irked the then PCB boss Ramiz Raja, who had said that if India were not going to come to Pakistan for the Champions Trophy, he would also not send the Men in Green to India for the World Cup. But nothing of this sort happened. The Asia Cup 2023 was held in a hybrid model, with four games played in Pakistan and 9 in Sri Lanka. And Pakistan traveled to India for the World Cup.

PCB is fearing that there could be a repeat of the same ahead of the Champions Trophy. A report in WION states that if India refuses to travel to Pakistan again, the tournament will be held in UAE. Or there could be a use of a hybrid model with some games hosted by Pakistan and others by UAE. In this scenario, India will not play any match in Pakistan.

According to news agency PTI, PCB boss Zaka Ashraf and COO Salman Naseer met the ICC executive board on their trip to Ahmedabad for the meeting and talked about the uncertainty of India touring Pakistan for CT 2025.

“Pakistani officials discussed the probability of the Indian board (BCCI) again refusing to send its team to Pakistan and made it clear that in any given situation, the ICC must avoid taking unilateral decisions on the tournament,” a source told PTI.

The source also said that PCB should be compensated properly if BCCI refuses to travel to Pakistan. PCB told the ICC board that many teams have toured the country in the last two years, including Australia, England and New Zealand. And there were no security concerns whatsoever during these tours. "They also made it clear that in case of India not sending its team and its matches being moved to another country, then the ICC must compensate Pakistan for this," the source added.

Champions Trophy is making a return to ICC roster after 8 years. Pakitan won the last ICC Men's Champions Trophy in 2017. The tournament includes the best 8 teams in the world. The best team 8 includes the hosts and the top 7 teams from the ODI World Cup 2023.

SOURCE: ZEE NEWS​

Looks like Pakistan will not be hosting any ICC event anytime soon. This ICC-BCCI monopoly is getting worse now.

I dont know why this tournament still exists. Best if tournament is cancelled. The last one in 2017 had a perfect ending anyway for Pakistan.

Looks like Pakistan will not be hosting any ICC event anytime soon. This ICC-BCCI monopoly is getting worse now.

I will tell you a story.

BCCI approached the ICC after the 1979 WC and proposed to hold the 1983 WC in India.

ICC led by England and Australia shot down the proposal saying 120 overs a day cannot be completed in the subcontinent.

1983 WC came. India reached the finals. BCCI President NKP Salve was in London. He was given 2 passes.

At the same time Cricket Association of Bengal President, Former CM of Bengal, Former Education minister of India and governor of Punjab Siddharth Shankar Ray was also in London and requested for a pass or atleast a ticket.

NKP Salve himself requested the ICC and MCC for a pass or ticket for Mr.Ray. It was rudely denied.

Coming back to India, Salve and the BCCI were incensed with the poor treatment they got. It was decided to get the world cup to India by any means.

BCCI treasurer Jagmohan Dalmiya was given the responsibility to formulate a plan.

Prudential had sponsored the 1983 WC and paid £300000.

Dalmiya went to various corporate houses in India and managed to convince Reliance to pay $5mn as sponsorship.

Armed with this offer, BCCI proposed the to hold the next WC in the subcontinent.

The money was too much to ignore. ICC awarded the hosting rights to Asia. A small change was done to cricket rules, it was now 50 overs.

The much maligned BCCI has worked very hard to get where it is today.

Pakistan is at a similar juncture today. They need to raise funds. Through government, through corporates, through non resident pakistanis.

Offer to make up the losses for ICC, they will come to Pakistan.

I don't think hybrid model will happen either and the tournament will be completely moved out of Pakistan. The only reason there was a hybrid model during Asia cup bcoz Najam Sethi was very strong individual and threatened to boycott the world cup. Zaka Ashraf looks like someome who would easily bolt under pressure, specially since he is already talking about compensation. Also, it is easy to convince teams like SL or BD to travel to and fro between Pak and another country to play the same tournament. Try doing that with teams like Eng, Aus, SA, NZ etc. and they will never agree. They will not want to travel so much bcoz of Sub continent politics. So I am sure CT 2025 will take place in one single country and not hybrid structure.

It's not our problem that you can't keep your words.

When we threaten to boycott, it means we "WILL" boycott.
But that is what I am asking you. WHY will you boycott? I have not heard one compelling reason why india will not tour other than "we don't want to", which is logic that toddlers use to get their way

India has not signed the members participation agreement so India isn't obligated to participate.

If ICC thinks India has breached any legal agreement they are free to take BCCI to court.

As things stand today, the Indian team isn't going to go to Pakistan.

But why bro, why?? Why will the Indian team not go to Pakistan? Let's hear some reasons. Help me understand the why.

If Pakistan can play in India in a ICC tournament then unless there is some safety concern, why can't India play in Pakistan? I can see not wanting to play bilateral but ICC events everyone should play in Pakistan unless there is some safety concern.
Exactly. New Zealand, Australia and England all of them have toured Pakistan recently so there is no reason to tour Pakistan as far as security is concerned. :inti

Exactly. New Zealand, Australia and England all of them have toured Pakistan recently so there is no reason to tour Pakistan as far as security is concerned. :inti
That right india should travel to Pakistani to play CT trophy .
Now one question for you " why was Australia not tour Pakistan post 1999 untill recently? All other teams were played cricket including India (2004,2006):kp

Best thing PCB can get is a hybrid model. ICC Tournament is not happening without India in it.

ICC has not signed the hosting agreement with PCB, so PCB has no legal document with it to pursue any cause.

If PCB threatens to boycott the CT 2025, SL is likely to take its place. PCB will end up losing the hosting rights plus the ICC revenue share and spoil relations with the ICC.

There are only three scenarios here

ICC agrees to host the tournament in Pakistan without India and all members agree to take a 500mn USD loss.

ICC moves the tournament out of Pakistan wholly or partially and compensates Pakistan with a few million dollars.

PCB agrees to make up the losses for ICC and the tournament goes ahead in Pakistan without India.

If the tournament isn't financially viable, ICC will have no option but to move the tournament.

I would employ a firmer and harsher strategy this time around citing Pakistan's participation in India recently. Your suggested solution is valid but acquiring funds is unrealistic.

Before anything happens, I would wait to see what the ICC does about the hosting agreement. It is due in the next month or so, which should be allowed to play out and I would not negotiate during that period with anyone. Continue to say we wish to host the tournament and that's it. No need to give the ICC outs.

We have to remember the ICC also has a separate agreement for its members and this contract will come with a due process for removing a host after the bidding/selection has been completed.

I would exercise this right as PCB.

The ICC must produce a justifiable reason for removing the tournament from Pakistan (i.e. security, team suspension like SL recently). The members will eventually have a vote on this matter with a written reason for why this decision is being made. We all know the reason will be India's non-participation and damage to profits.

The PCB can obviously attempt to garner votes but it's unlikely to get enough members on its side.

Once this removal goes through, the PCB should refuse to play India in all upcoming ICC tournaments minus knockout rounds. No need to boycott an entire tournament. This ensures the PCB receives payment for its participation and does not need to recognize India's presence at the Champions Trophy. If the ICC attempts to schedule a group game against India, the PCB should forfeit it. There are no set consequences for forfeiting matches in ICC rules minus the loss of tournament points.

This will make an appropriate and strong point against the BCCI and ICC's actions.

The PCB has to be honest with itself and note it's getting tossed around by the BCCI and its puppet. Once it gets to that, you should be brave and take it head-on every step of the way.

It will take a courageous PCB to do this but they need to stick to their guns. They need to stand up for themselves because their reasoning is airtight this time around.

It's unfortunate the BCCI/India is doing things like this and mish-mashing politics with sport. The courteous nature of Indian fans towards the Pakistan team showed the BCCI is not a good representation of its fans. They disrespect their fans (World Cup ticket issues), they disrespect ICC members (IPL scheduling, Asia Cup reserve day), they disrespect the ICC, and of course they disrespect Pakistan.

That right india should travel to Pakistani to play CT trophy .
Now one question for you " why was Australia not tour Pakistan post 1999 untill recently? All other teams were played cricket including India (2004,2006):kp
So the same Australia who wasn't touring Pakistan for 2 decades also toured Pakistan recently. If they alongwith New Zealand and England can tour Pakistan then what's the issue for India exactly?

Here is one question for you: Australia also refused to play their match in Sri Lanka in World Cup 1996. Did that stop India from organising future tours in Sri Lanka? :inti

So the same Australia who wasn't touring Pakistan for 2 decades also toured Pakistan recently. If they alongwith New Zealand and England can tour Pakistan then what's the issue for India exactly?

Here is one question for you: Australia also refused to play their match in Sri Lanka in World Cup 1996. Did that stop India from organising future tours in Sri Lanka? :inti
My point is india not touring Pakistan is nothing to do with Australia or any other team .same like Australia were not tour Pakistan.
Every country has own policy that is what matters ,it Wrong or right is different things :kp

If Pakistan has any spine, as they claim they do, they should insist on hosting the CT. They should also be willing to absorb any loss of revenue if India decides not to participate. I think the tournament will still be quite exciting without India's participation.
It's funny to see how proud Pakistanis are on cyberspace, but fizzle out in real life when confronted with something like this. Here they are meekly asking for compensation LOL.
Pak should stand up and take a firm stance. Even an India supporter like me will appreciate them for that.

I thought BCCI is a private body who takes his own decisions? :kp :inti
The Indian Cricket team represents the country. It does not represent the BCCI. The government can very well decide whether the Indian team can participate as a national team with the country's name on its shirts.

PCB should grow a backbone.

Play the tournament without India to show a stance.

Will this happen in reality a big NO

I would employ a firmer and harsher strategy this time around citing Pakistan's participation in India recently. Your suggested solution is valid but acquiring funds is unrealistic.

Before anything happens, I would wait to see what the ICC does about the hosting agreement. It is due in the next month or so, which should be allowed to play out and I would not negotiate during that period with anyone. Continue to say we wish to host the tournament and that's it. No need to give the ICC outs.

We have to remember the ICC also has a separate agreement for its members and this contract will come with a due process for removing a host after the bidding/selection has been completed.

The ICC must produce a justifiable reason for removing the tournament from Pakistan (i.e. security, team suspension like SL recently). The members will eventually have a vote on this matter with a written reason for why this decision is being made. We all know the reason will be India's non-participation and damage to profits.

The PCB can obviously attempt to garner votes but it's unlikely to get enough members on its side.

Once this removal goes through, the PCB should refuse to play India in all upcoming ICC tournaments minus knockout rounds. No need to boycott an entire tournament. This ensures the PCB receives payment for its participation and does not need to recognize India's presence at the Champions Trophy. If the ICC attempts to schedule a group game against India, the PCB should forfeit it. There are no set consequences for forfeiting matches in ICC rules minus the loss of tournament points.

This will make an appropriate and strong point against the BCCI and ICC's actions.

The PCB has to be honest with itself and note it's getting tossed around by the BCCI and its puppet. Once it gets to that, you should be brave and take it head-on every step of the way.

It will take a courageous PCB to do this but they need to stick to their guns. They need to stand up for themselves because their reasoning is airtight this time around.

It's unfortunate the BCCI/India is doing things like this and mish-mashing politics with sport. The courteous nature of Indian fans towards the Pakistan team showed the BCCI is not a good representation of its fans. They disrespect their fans (World Cup ticket issues), they disrespect ICC members (IPL scheduling, Asia Cup reserve day), they disrespect the ICC, and of course they disrespect Pakistan.

The policy to not play in Pakistan isn't BCCI's policy. Its the GoIs policy and the present government has enjoyed majority support. Pakistan team was in India, most people won't misbehave with a visiting team.

Once PCB signs the Members participation agreement, they are legally bound to play the alloted matches or face financial and other penalties. Its not easy to boycott or forfeit a match.

The justification for removal will be financial non viability of the event in absence of India. ICC may offer PCB the chance to host the event by compensating for the losses. If PCB can't find the funds, they themselves will have to give up the hosting rights.

The members need not give anything in writing and the voting can be secret ballot.

PCB should atleast try to stump up the required money. Pakistan is a big country.

I wish the next CT happens in Pakistan. But I also hope Pak Govt. provides presidential level security to every team. Pakistani fans deserve this CT.
Rest assured presidential level security will be provided. 2009 is further back than many of us realize. Many teams have toured once ICC gave the green light a few years later since then. P much every full member team outside of India.

I will tell you a story.

BCCI approached the ICC after the 1979 WC and proposed to hold the 1983 WC in India.

ICC led by England and Australia shot down the proposal saying 120 overs a day cannot be completed in the subcontinent.

1983 WC came. India reached the finals. BCCI President NKP Salve was in London. He was given 2 passes.

At the same time Cricket Association of Bengal President, Former CM of Bengal, Former Education minister of India and governor of Punjab Siddharth Shankar Ray was also in London and requested for a pass or atleast a ticket.

NKP Salve himself requested the ICC and MCC for a pass or ticket for Mr.Ray. It was rudely denied.

Coming back to India, Salve and the BCCI were incensed with the poor treatment they got. It was decided to get the world cup to India by any means.

BCCI treasurer Jagmohan Dalmiya was given the responsibility to formulate a plan.

Dalmiya went to various corporate houses in India and managed to convince Reliance to pay $5mn as sponsorship.

Armed with this offer, BCCI proposed the to hold the next WC in the subcontinent.

The money was too much to ignore. ICC awarded the hosting rights to Asia. A small change was done to cricket rules, it was now 50 overs.

Pakistan is at a similar juncture today. They need to raise funds. Through government, through corporates, through non resident pakistanis.

POTW for me!
Every word bang on true.
The BCCI has indeed worked very hard to become what it is today. It's not simply arrogance that they are exhibiting, but justified pride in their hard work and achievements.
Sad that the PCB and others chooses to criticize, instead of taking a leaf from BCCIs book and learning.

The Indian Cricket team represents the country. It does not represent the BCCI. The government can very well decide whether the Indian team can participate as a national team with the country's name on its shirts.
Explain this to ICC who recently suspended Sri Lanka Cricket. :inti

The issue must be concluded in the coming months.

The uncertainty around the Asia Cup took a lot away from what could have been a fine tournament.

Pakistan should push the ICC for a conclusion of sorts before the T20 wc.

And the government can stop anyone from visiting a foreign country.

The government isn't running the BCCI as the SL government tried to do. So ICC cannot do anything here.

I’d PCB request to play without India then will see what ICC have to say.

On this note it has happened just yet until the question is asked.
If tournament goes on with out India, Icc will have to pay back hefty amount to the broadcaster in the India to cover the loss.

If tournament goes on with out India, Icc will have to pay back hefty amount to the broadcaster in the India to cover the loss.
I'm not an expert at contracts, but I feel it would be very naiive of the ICC if they allow for any such compensation clause in their contract with the broadcasters. Matches may not happen for a variety of reasons and teams may decide to pull out at the last minute citing a myriad causes. The ICC would be silly if it agreed to compensate for such eventualities.

I'm not an expert at contracts, but I feel it would be very naiive of the ICC if they allow for any such compensation clause in their contract with the broadcasters. Matches may not happen for a variety of reasons and teams may decide to pull out at the last minute citing a myriad causes. The ICC would be silly if it agreed to compensate for such eventualities.
Star sports have paid 3b$ to Icc for Indian audience.so if India is not there ,then icc will have to face the music .As per Asia cup reports previously, broadcaster have requested ind vs pak multiple times to spin the money and they made the cup possible after a deadlock. So they will work it out again.

If India isn't playing, why will Star sports pay $3bn to ICC, the amount star bid for India Territory?

The policy to not play in Pakistan isn't BCCI's policy. Its the GoIs policy and the present government has enjoyed majority support. Pakistan team was in India, most people won't misbehave with a visiting team.

Once PCB signs the Members participation agreement, they are legally bound to play the alloted matches or face financial and other penalties. Its not easy to boycott or forfeit a match.

The justification for removal will be financial non viability of the event in absence of India. ICC may offer PCB the chance to host the event by compensating for the losses. If PCB can't find the funds, they themselves will have to give up the hosting rights.

The members need not give anything in writing and the voting can be secret ballot.

PCB should atleast try to stump up the required money. Pakistan is a big country.

Financial repercussions are unlikely as NZ didn't receive any during their forfeit in the 2003 WC. It was a straight point deduction once the ICC deemed their forfeit to be without reason.

Without reading the ICC members contract, I won't know what their decision process is after the selection is complete. This would be new territory for the organization. The only recent example was the U-19 World Cup being removed from SL but that was with just cause as the entire board was suspended.

The voting being done on a secret ballot is unlikely as Pakistan itself is a member. It would have to be a formal vote as it was in 2011 when the tournament was removed from Australia and assigned to India.

I wish the PCB the best in this fight against what is effectively bullying by the BCCI. A lot of these two-bit BCCI administrators think they run the world.

Financial repercussions are unlikely as NZ didn't receive any during their forfeit in the 2003 WC. It was a straight point deduction once the ICC deemed their forfeit to be without reason.

Without reading the ICC members contract, I won't know what their decision process is after the selection is complete. This would be new territory for the organization. The only recent example was the U-19 World Cup being removed from SL but that was with just cause as the entire board was suspended.

The voting being done on a secret ballot is unlikely as Pakistan itself is a member. It would have to be a formal vote as it was in 2011 when the tournament was removed from Australia and assigned to India.

This isn't 2003. This is 2023. A lot has changed in the MPA. But let's assume that PCB is only docked points.

Unless PCB has the hosting agreement signed, it has no legal rights.

Why unlikely? PCB being a member doesn't mean anything. The executive board votes by secret ballot.

The 2011 WC was always in India and not in Australia.

In addition to this Pakistan should refuse to attend any tournament held in India.

This isn't 2003. This is 2023. A lot has changed in the MPA. But let's assume that PCB is only docked points.

Unless PCB has the hosting agreement signed, it has no legal rights.

Why unlikely? PCB being a member doesn't mean anything. The executive board votes by secret ballot.

The 2011 WC was always in India and not in Australia.

It was Australia and NZ's turn that year and they were the only bid that came on time. India and company missed the deadline by two months.

"...according to the rotation system, Australia and New Zealand should have been hosts for the event in 2011." - The Age

"...the Asian bloc will stage the World Cup in 2011, having missed the initial deadline for bids by almost two months. Despite that shambles, the submission of India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh beat an alternative from Australia and New Zealand 10-3 in a vote of the ICC’s full and associate members in Dubai yesterday."
- The Times

They held an official members vote in which the Asian bloc won 10-3.

Yes, the PCB does not have a hosting agreement but it is a signed ICC member. It will have legal rights within the stipulations of its contract as a member. I don't know what those are nor have I read the contract. While you are right the executive board can vote secretly, they will have to announce the results publicly. This is enough to warrant a legal discussion if it's an unjust or unreasonable decision.

Of course, if there is no solution or the ICC contract does not provide rights to the PCB, you employ the forfeit vs India strategy as a final resort.

Any country that was allocated to be the host should be compensated when this right is taken away from them. The event sould not move to any other place if 1 country is not willing to travel due to political reasons. The event should go on as per schedule but BCCI is too powerful to let that happen.

In addition to this Pakistan should refuse to attend any tournament held in India.

Absolutely 100%.

PCB can present two options. One is a straight refusal due to security reasons. Second is to play all of its matches in Sri Lanka since the tournament is split between India and Sri Lanka.

This is assuming Sri Lanka gets to keep its hosting rights after what's going on with their board.

I will tell you a story.

Sign a deal with a shaddy business person/s that we would "return the favor " and you instead pay the estimated loss with India not participating in the CT

thanks but no thanks. Reliance did not pay the 5 million usd in 1987 out of country love and patriotism. But fools think otherwise

Much more important issues in our country than hosting the CT

Even if its held in a hybrid model, its completely fine. We set the base for that when we agreed to do Asia cup that way

I don't think hybrid model will happen either and the tournament will be completely moved out of Pakistan. The only reason there was a hybrid model during Asia cup bcoz Najam Sethi was very strong individual and threatened to boycott the world cup. Zaka Ashraf looks like someome who would easily bolt under pressure, specially since he is already talking about compensation. Also, it is easy to convince teams like SL or BD to travel to and fro between Pak and another country to play the same tournament. Try doing that with teams like Eng, Aus, SA, NZ etc. and they will never agree. They will not want to travel so much bcoz of Sub continent politics. So I am sure CT 2025 will take place in one single country and not hybrid structure.
too early for speculations. Zaka Ashraf is not staying after general Elections, in that case Najam Sethi is coming back more likely than not. and of course elections in India will also determine what will happen next for Pakistan India Bilateral series.

Absolutely 100%.

PCB can present two options. One is a straight refusal due to security reasons. Second is to play all of its matches in Sri Lanka since the tournament is split between India and Sri Lanka.

This is assuming Sri Lanka gets to keep its hosting rights after what's going on with their board.
or sri lanka can swap the hostig rights with PCB. Sri Lanka to host Ct 2025 and Pakistan can co host t20 wc in 2026 with India where India can stay in India

The reality is there is no CT without ind. That's just the reality. So pcb hosting CT without Ind is a pipedream. Pcb knows this. Its the gullible common man in pak who thinks otherwise.

For all the public shouting that pcb does - they will finally bendover backside for bcci as usual and agree to a hybrid model.. and then wine and dine with the bcci brass and fool the pak public as usual with their rhetoric

India can go spin for all I care, don’t want to come fine, the tournament will go on without them

It was Australia and NZ's turn that year and they were the only bid that came on time. India and company missed the deadline by two months.

"...according to the rotation system, Australia and New Zealand should have been hosts for the event in 2011." - The Age

"...the Asian bloc will stage the World Cup in 2011, having missed the initial deadline for bids by almost two months. Despite that shambles, the submission of India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh beat an alternative from Australia and New Zealand 10-3 in a vote of the ICC’s full and associate members in Dubai yesterday."
- The Times

They held an official members vote in which the Asian bloc won 10-3.

Yes, the PCB does not have a hosting agreement but it is a signed ICC member. It will have legal rights within the stipulations of its contract as a member. I don't know what those are nor have I read the contract. While you are right the executive board can vote secretly, they will have to announce the results publicly. This is enough to warrant a legal discussion if it's an unjust or unreasonable decision.

Of course, if there is no solution or the ICC contract does not provide rights to the PCB, you employ the forfeit vs India strategy as a final resort.

That article is quoting selectively.

ICC had extended the deadline.

Yes official vote was done. By secret ballot. You don't know who voted where. PCB may ask for a similar vote and is likely to lose. They won't know who voted where.

Member can ask for a vote. Member cannot question who voted where. Its every boards individual decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any country that was allocated to be the host should be compensated when this right is taken away from them. The event sould not move to any other place if 1 country is not willing to travel due to political reasons. The event should go on as per schedule but BCCI is too powerful to let that happen.

If BCCI says play in Pakistan without us. Will ICC host the tournament without India and take 500mn USD loss?

Who will compensate the icc?

Sign a deal with a shaddy business person/s that we would "return the favor " and you instead pay the estimated loss with India not participating in the CT

thanks but no thanks. Reliance did not pay the 5 million usd in 1987 out of country love and patriotism. But fools think otherwise

Much more important issues in our country than hosting the CT

Even if its held in a hybrid model, its completely fine. We set the base for that when we agreed to do Asia cup that way

Reliance is a shaddy business? They are and were a listed company. India's most valuable company by market cap.

The 1987 WC will forever be called the Reliance world cup. That's the value of branding.

Ofcourse there was some element of nationalism.

BCCI convinced businesses to invest in Indian cricket and get brand visibility.

BCCI played the same card in 1996 and this time ITC chipped in and the WC was called Wills World Cup.

You need to sell your product.

Can PCB not convince enough sponsors to chip in and raise the money? Give them long term branding rights. Give them naming rights.

That article is quoting selectively.

ICC had extended the deadline.

Yes official vote was done. By secret ballot. You don't know who voted where. PCB may ask for a similar vote and is likely to lose. They won't know who voted where.

Member can ask for a vote. Member cannot question who voted where. Its every boards individual decision.

Yes, which is why I said they took Australia's World Cup turn from them. Australia-NZ followed the selection rules and it was their turn too. The ICC extending its deadline (after it was already done) is a further example of them being a puppet.

By public vote that's all I meant. Who votes won't matter to the PCB as they will want due process and yes they will lose.

The short-term strategy has to be to stand up and try a new way to put pressure on the ICC. Perhaps my way is strong-handed but I don't see any other solution as a complete boycott is unreasonable too.

A second way was yours (using funds) but I think that might be a much longer-term plan as the PSL grows in stature. It's possible but unlikely right now.

Yes, which is why I said they took Australia's World Cup turn from them. Australia-NZ followed the selection rules and it was their turn too. The ICC extending its deadline (after it was already done) is a further example of them being a puppet.

By public vote that's all I meant. Who votes won't matter to the PCB as they will want due process and yes they will lose.

The short-term strategy has to be to stand up and try a new way to put pressure on the ICC. Perhaps my way is strong-handed but I don't see any other solution as a complete boycott is unreasonable too.

A second way was yours (using funds) but I think that might be a much longer-term plan as the PSL grows in stature. It's possible but unlikely right now.

There is nothing called turn. That system was terminated long back.

The ICC executive board extended the deadline, it had all the members.

Due process will cause more problems for PCB as in future also other boards will want such voting and PCB is likely to come out as losers.

PCB can either take compensation and let the CT be shifted partially or fully.

Or

It can arrange the funds.

PCB isn't in a position to take on the rest of the cricketing world.

It wasn’t a favor and BCCI and ICC are not fools that they would perceive it as one.

PCB were looking after their own interests because boycotting an ICC tournament would have major implications and repercussions.

It would have been a favor if not going to India for the World Cup wouldn’t have harmed PCB in any way but that is clearly not the case.

India can go spin for all I care, don’t want to come fine, the tournament will go on without them
The reality is that an ICC tournament without India would be a financial disaster and PCB cannot bully BCCI into sending the Indian team to Pakistan.

If the GOI have a change of heart and make an exception for an ICC tournament, wonderful. If not, and the chances are high that they won’t, the tournament will be played in a hybrid model and India will play its matches in UAE/SL.

The quicker PCB and Pakistani fans accept this reality, the easier it will be to make peace with it and the less embarrassing it will be.

We don’t want a repeat of the Asia Cup where PCB growled and thumped its chest for over a year only to bottle it in the last minute because the reality dawned on them.

Just accept it from now onwards that the Champions Trophy will be co-hosted with UAE or SL. End of story.

Zaka already received the message when he visited India during the WC, and now he is exploring option 2.

We are aware that India will not come to Pakistan, considering the hybrid government we have.

It wasn’t a favor and BCCI and ICC are not fools that they would perceive it as one.

PCB were looking after their own interests because boycotting an ICC tournament would have major implications and repercussions.

It would have been a favor if not going to India for the World Cup wouldn’t have harmed PCB in any way but that is clearly not the case.

I don’t buy this “financial consequences repercussions” nonsense..

Plenty of countries have boycotted international tournaments before.. just take a look at 1938 FIFA WC and the 1980 Olympics in Russia

Even last year FIFA / UEFA kicked out Russia from the EURO 2024 Qualifying and 2022 FIFA WC. I guess it goes both ways right? Russia could have pulled out anyway if they wanted to..

My position is clear.. Only accept the hybrid model if India agrees to play SF or Final in Pakistan..

If they drag their feet or say no - pull out of 2024 WorldT20 and watch everything magically fix itself by 2025..

Star sports have paid 3b$ to Icc for Indian audience.so if India is not there ,then icc will have to face the music .As per Asia cup reports previously, broadcaster have requested ind vs pak multiple times to spin the money and they made the cup possible after a deadlock. So they will work it out again.
So you are saying that ICC will compensate Star just because they paid 3 billion? LMAO, you clearly have no understanding of how contract law works. The amount doesnt mean that star will get any extra provisions. There will be no compensation for star. And future such contracts should adjust for India pulling out. It seems to be wholly a problem by the territory which star has rights for.

I don’t buy this “financial consequences repercussions” nonsense..

Plenty of countries have boycotted international tournaments before.. just take a look at 1938 FIFA WC and the 1980 Olympics in Russia

Even last year FIFA / UEFA kicked out Russia from the EURO 2024 Qualifying and 2022 FIFA WC. I guess it goes both ways right? Russia could have pulled out anyway if they wanted to..

My position is clear.. Only accept the hybrid model if India agrees to play SF or Final in Pakistan..

If they drag their feet or say no - pull out of 2024 WorldT20 and watch everything magically fix itself by 2025..
It is pointless to compare football and cricket. Totally different dynamics, totally different financial distribution, totally different balance of power, totally different leverage.

PCB has zero leverage and BCCI will end up dictating terms just like they did for the Asia Cup and World Cup. It is better to accept it with dignity than to make empty statements only to not back it up when the time comes.

The Asia Cup and World Cup were harsh lessons for the PCB and they would be fools not to learn from it.

It is pointless to compare football and cricket. Totally different dynamics, totally different financial distribution, totally different balance of power, totally different leverage.

PCB has zero leverage and BCCI will end up dictating terms just like they did for the Asia Cup and World Cup. It is better to accept it with dignity than to make empty statements only to not back it up when the time comes.

The Asia Cup and World Cup were harsh lessons for the PCB and they would be fools not to learn from it.
What is the worse that can happen?

We’ll be banned from playing in ICc tournaments right?

I say who cares cricket is going the soccer route where all the money and priority will be in leagues.. Develop the PSL for 9 months and pay hefty wages to attract the best players..

Sprinkle in a few random bilateral T20’s / ODI’s to keep the “purists” happy..

I say who cares cricket is going the soccer route where all the money and priority will be in leagues.. Develop the PSL for 9 months and pay hefty wages to attract the best players..

If you want to isolate Pakistan completely to prove a point and boost your ego, sure go ahead.

If you want to isolate Pakistan completely to prove a point and boost your ego, sure go ahead.
Again I ask is the alternative any better?

We are one authoritarian regime away from breaking hall relations with India / BCCI / ICC etc.

Just watch someone in the not so distant future sweep into power and run our country (including PCB) in a totalitarian manner..
I won’t go into non-cricket related issues but is pretty obvious..

PSL does not really generate enough money for PCB. I think Pakistan has failed to utilize quarter billion population who are cricket crazy.

PCB can't do anything to force India to come. However all other teams should have no issues or problems in playing in Pakistan. India is free to play all their games in the UAE but all other games not involving India will have to be held in Pakistan. A Pakistan UAE hybrid model in the month of February March 2025 is perfectly possible and weather will not be a factor. India has to reasonably agree to it.

Again I ask is the alternative any better?

We are one authoritarian regime away from breaking hall relations with India / BCCI / ICC etc.

Just watch someone in the not so distant future sweep into power and run our country (including PCB) in a totalitarian manner..
I won’t go into non-cricket related issues but is pretty obvious..
The alternative is certainly better. It is not a big deal if India doesn’t play in Pakistan and for Pakistan to play its knockouts matches in UAE if Pakistan qualify and if they cross paths with India.

I think zaka is doing the right thing by keeping out of all this and just going for compensation

when Rameez raja threatened to boycott the world cup a lot of people on this same forum were praising Rameez raja to sky
few month later when najam sethi threatened to boycott the world cup the very same people who were praising Rameez where against sethis decision

Next years elections in India should determine if India will visit Pakistan or not. Maybe wait till then before doing anything.

Back