[Reports] Shaheen Shah Afridi is unhappy with the PCB statement attributed to him after being removed from the captaincy

Cricket Warrior

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
As per some reports Shaheen Afridi is expected to release a statement denying that the PCB spoke to him for the quotes attributed to him on the PCB's website.

This quote below was attributed to Shaheen Afridi by the PCB which he reportedly denying.

“It was an absolute honour to captain the Pakistan National Cricket Team. I will always cherish the memories and the opportunity. As a team player, it is my duty to back our captain, Babar Azam. I have played under his captaincy and have nothing but respect for him. I will try to help him on and off the field. We are all one. Our aim is the same, to help Pakistan become the best team in the world.”

Wasn't anyone from the PCB concerned enough to meet him and take him into confidence? Is it right to throw someone under the bus after just one bad series, or is there something else going on?

Last edited:
The cricket team is a reflection of the state of the country. The PDM and the establishment is going after everyone in the country who is a pti, IK supporter, even the army itself hasn't been spared and I don't expect the Pakistani Cricket team to be any different either

The cricket team is a reflection of the state of the country. The PDM and the establishment is going after everyone in the country who is a pti, IK supporter, even the army itself hasn't been spared and I don't expect the Pakistani Cricket team to be any different either
It's basically a circus and you've said it rightly in the first line of your post.

Think the bigger question is how do we know Shaheen refuted the statement.

Many of us thought it was Imam ul Haq who was leaking stories to the media, but he’s not in the camp, so it has to be someone else.

My guess is Majid the fielding coach.

The present PDM regime and establishment went after the spectators who were chanting pro pti and ik slogans in Multan in the stands, they even suspended the broadcast of the PSL for a few overs while the Punjab police went after the pti supporters in the stands, took them forcefully and trashed them in the washroom.

The PDM regime and the establishment have made it very clear that they will go to every extent against pti and ik supporters.

Shaheen Shah Afridi: “It was an absolute honour to captain the Pakistan National Cricket Team. I will always cherish the memories and the opportunity. As a team player, it is my duty to back our captain, Babar Azam. I have played under his captaincy and have nothing but respect for him. I will try to help him on and off the field. We are all one. Our aim is the same, to help Pakistan become the best team in the world.”

As per some reports Shaheen Afridi is expected to release a statement denying that the PCB spoke to him for the quotes attributed to him on the PCB's website.

Wasn't anyone from the PCB concerned enough to meet him and take him into confidence? Is it right to throw someone under the bus after just one bad series, or is there something else going on?

Can you pls clarify?

Is this his quote on the website which he has denied ?

I hope players aren’t being punished for political views .

What quote is Shaheen denying?

The one in the first post?

I’m confused.

Shaheen got done badly. I feel very sorry for him and how things have ended for him.

I hope he gets a chance in th future to captain again.

What the PCB have done here will dent the morale of all players and put a lot of pressure on future captains.

Apart from Babars dad there are no real winners today.

Can you pls clarify?

Is this his quote on the website which he has denied ?

I hope players aren’t being punished for political views .

Yes, the quote mentioned in the OP is reportedly attributed to Shaheen Shah Afridi by the PCB which he is denying.

😂😂😂. I never thought tthat Pakistan cricket would get more entertaining then our comedy at the world cup.

This has been hilarious.

He is rightfully aggressive and disappointed. He is a far better captain than Babar Azam. We have a clear example in the current era, which is Pat Cummins. Australia believed in his leadership skills, and look where he stands today. Just because of one bad series and the PSL 9 campaign, they are judging his leadership skills. In fact, I wanted Shaheen as the captain of our Test side for the long term.

Now, such bad and unprofessional decisions from PCB have led to a rift between Shaheen and Babar, and unity will be lacking during the T20I World Cup. Mark my words, fruitful results are not coming.

It's true, those statements sound a bit robotic. 😀😀
“It was an absolute honour to captain the Pakistan National Cricket Team. I will always cherish the memories and the opportunity. As a team player, it is my duty to back our captain, Babar Azam. I have played under his captaincy and have nothing but respect for him. I will try to help him on and off the field. We are all one. Our aim is the same, to help Pakistan become the best team in the world.”

How can this not be Chatgpt? Who dies pcb think Shaheen is? The 2nd coming of jesus christ?

We are one, Our aim is the same, to help Pakistan become the best team in the world.

😂😂😂😂.

I can't stop laughing.

Pakistan is like the Soviet Union or Maoist China atm with these fake statements and political crackdowns

Let's see if they can go full North Korea mode and cut off comms and then lie to the awaam that we have won the world cup.

He is rightfully aggressive and disappointed. He is a far better captain than Babar Azam. We have a clear example in the current era, which is Pat Cummins. Australia believed in his leadership skills, and look where he stands today. Just because of one bad series and the PSL 9 campaign, they are judging his leadership skills. In fact, I wanted Shaheen as the captain of our Test side for the long term.
I feel for Shaheen and how he is left uncommunicated and unwanted by the whole PCB.
But comparing Pat Cummins and SSA is a bit too much. Cummins is nurtured and molded by a professional cricketing structure that is renowned for building and developing great leaders and captains. I haven't seen Cummins promoting himself to no.4 just because he thinks he is a much better batter than he truly is. Handing the t20i captaincy to a 23 year old with a worrisome injury record was itself a blunder and handing it back to Babar is even more confusing.

Pakistan is like the Soviet Union or Maoist China atm with these fake statements and political crackdowns

Let's see if they can go full North Korea mode and cut off comms and then lie to the awaam that we have won the world cup.
The current PCB admin is also one bad ICC tournament away from getting sacked regardless of how much of a superhero they consider themselves to be.

The current PCB admin is also one bad ICC tournament away from getting sacked regardless of how much of a superhero they consider themselves to be.
The current PCB admin run the country lol. The chairman is the interior minister which is like the third highest position in the state

They ain't going nowhere.

The current PCB admin run the country lol. The chairman is the interior minister which is like the third highest position in the state

They ain't going nowhere.
He'll probably be "sacked". A new chairman and wholesale lot of changes will follow. Then he'll probably make return as BOG or CEO of PCB. :ROFLMAO:

This is very unfortunate.

PCB should definitely speak to Shaheen and not hang him out to dry like this. He is one of our main players.

This quote below was attributed to Shaheen Afridi by the PCB which he reportedly denying.

Oh goodie. The plot thickens.

Babar is not a leader and does not deserve to be the captain , but compared to Shaheen he is a better option . WC is a serious matter and giving captaincy to Saheen in a WC would have been ridiculous. Shaheen never gave me an impression of a cricketer even with average IQ.

Babar is not a leader and does not deserve to be the captain , but compared to Shaheen he is a better option . WC is a serious matter and giving captaincy to Saheen in a WC would have been ridiculous. Shaheen never gave me an impression of a cricketer even with average IQ.
And what is babar? A child prodigy who cracked the black hole theory?

Wow what a crap organization this PCB is releasing fake statements .

Hard to comprehend why in the world PCB would be releasing a fake statement. Like how stupid do you have to be to do that...

Did they really think Shaheen wouldn't mind or care? Even if they feel Shaheen internally does truly feel that way, why is there a need to make up things? It's just creating a nonsense rift between your stars when it doesn't need to be there and I don't think it will lead to a rift between Shaheen & Babar but rather it will be amongst PCB & Shaheen. You already nearly ruined his career with the mishandling of injuries and now this? Shaheen would be well within his rights to basically say screw this, retire & just play in leagues only and now all of a sudden, you have lost a premier asset for such a nonsensical reason.

I just can't believe how unprofessionally PCB has been run ever since Mani & Wasim left. It's just one clown chairman after another and they all seem to come up with creative ways to mess up in the worst ways possible.

I fully support Shaheen if he's upset with all of this.

They didn't give him a fair chance, embarrassed him with the sudden removal, and now put words in his mouth. That dressing room is going to be a mess chemistry-wise.

They will pretend everything is fine but this decision has likely turned things upside down and probably destroyed the WC campaign too.

Pcb: Chatgpt, we just removed shaheen as a captain and appointed babar as a captain. Can you make a statement about shaheen being super grateful for the decision we have made? Thanks.

Chatgpt: We are one, We are united, we all aim for Pakistan to be the best team in the world.

Pcb: Thank you chatgpt.

Think the bigger question is how do we know Shaheen refuted the statement.

Many of us thought it was Imam ul Haq who was leaking stories to the media, but he’s not in the camp, so it has to be someone else.

My guess is Majid the fielding coach.
Allegedly its Wahab.

The current pcb administration is a reflection of the ruling elite of the country for the past two years. Pcb has also now become a complete joke similar to other prominent institutions of the country like the judiciary, army, police etc. These people are only concerned with doing politics and protecting their own positions.

With their boomer mentality, they are quickly taking everything back to 90’s and creating a culture of infighting and instability which was not there for the past few years at least. I expect we will hear a lot more stories of infighting within the next few months if this continues.

We are a medicore cricket nation: For all those who get offended by what I said I'm sorry.

But when you have players that make demands then we can't ever be succesful, it's a team sport goal, should be to play for the crest on your chest.

Also I'm baffled by how Pakistan remains a bad fielding team, I'm suprised no one ever mentions our fielding, usually it's critiquing the batting sr or the bowling, but no one brings up the fielding.

We literally have a video on YouTube with millions of views on our highlights and people making fun of us on our fielding woes.

Fielding ironically has won more matches then I can count. NZ would have beaten England in the final if their fielding was slightly better that day. England wouldn't have won, if the final throw wasn't accurate and Butler didn't dismiss the stumps.

That's one area I'm concerned about that's never brought up.

I fully support Shaheen if he's upset with all of this.

They didn't give him a fair chance, embarrassed him with the sudden removal, and now put words in his mouth. That dressing room is going to be a mess chemistry-wise.

They will pretend everything is fine but this decision has likely turned things upside down and probably destroyed the WC campaign too.
It's just like robbing someone and then asking him to have a smiley selfie with the same goon.

They should actually speak to Imad and Amir, let them know of the humiliation coming their way in the next few months.
You realise imad and Amir are in the same team that babar is supposedly going to captain?

So if they get humiliated then babar gets humiliated as well?

Did you forget cricket is a team game, The chances of babar and rizwan performing every game with imad and Amir failing every game and pakistan team winning is next to 0. Actually it is 0.

Tweets by a reporter on Twitter summarizing the chain of events

So how did it happen?
When PSL started, a franchise management started lobbying and meeting PCB Officials.
Mohsin Naqvi had left the decision of captaincy on Selection Committee, they raised the matter of replacing Shaheen or retaining him and a vote happened subsequently.

Babar's name got the most votes in the meetings of committee. This all happened on 27th and 28th March, Naqvi himself met selection committee on 28th and he also met Babar Azam on same day to tell him he will be the captain as suggested by Selection Committee. 1 member leaked the

news to the media too.
PCB cares a lot about optics so they delayed the matter for 3 days and planted news of selectors convincing Babar when he had already met Naqvi.
How did Babar win the vote?
As you can see in photo, 3 cricketers were the main stakeholders of the committee.
Yousaf, Wahab and Abdul Razzaq, 1 of them was an employee of PZ, second one was ex captain of PZ, acc to sources both Wahab and Yousaf were the main supporters of Babar coming back. Babar didn't win unanimously, some people voted against him but they lost i don't know yet who.
All the info i have tweeted above is verified and credible by trusted sources but from here i am adding my speculations,i don't know who voted for whom, remaining members were Razzaq, Asad, Wahla, Bilal and Cheema. Atleast 2 of them were on right side of history so salute to them
It was pretty easy for Shahid Afridi to influence this committee but he didn't call his colleagues to get a favor. Model Town Mafia has always been strong in Pak Cricket, this was just another win of same lobby kicking out an outsider by joining hands. Well played Babar Saab.

They should actually speak to Imad and Amir, let them know of the humiliation coming their way in the next few months.

Bowling has been toothless, we need them back in. Nawaz and Hasan Ali are not good enough.

I don't understand why Shaheen was made captain in the first place. He is clearly not ready and needs to focus on his bowling. Why is he coming out in the middle order for his PSL team? :ROFLMAO: Not surprised he got removed.

Bowling has been toothless, we need them back in. Nawaz and Hasan Ali are not good enough.

I don't understand why Shaheen was made captain in the first place. He is clearly not ready and needs to focus on his bowling. Why is he coming out in the middle order for his PSL team? :ROFLMAO: Not surprised he got removed.
I fr don't get the hate behind Amir and imad.

What do people want? Nawaz and Rauf?

You realise imad and Amir are in the same team that babar is supposedly going to captain?

So if they get humiliated then babar gets humiliated as well?

Did you forget cricket is a team game, The chances of babar and rizwan performing every game with imad and Amir failing every game and pakistan team winning is next to 0. Actually it is 0.
They don’t make the playing XI, so no. Only reason Amir has a sniff is because of Rauf’s meltdown recently.

Imad should be nowhere near the team. Should stick to league cricket only.

Unprofessional and borderline criminal conduct by PCB.

You just can't shamelessly lie like that. Come on!

:zardari

They don’t make the playing XI, so no. Only reason Amir has a sniff is because of Rauf’s meltdown recently.

Imad should be nowhere near the team. Should stick to league cricket only.
So if their not in the playing 11, how will they get humiliated exactly? Bro your point doesn't even make any sense.

If Pakistan get butchered badly like they got butchered against Australia and India in the world cup and India in the asia cup, And if inad and Amir aren't In the playing 11, how exactly are they being humiliated and not your captain playing?

Shahid Afridi suffering from verbal diarrhea after SSA axed as captain

The PCB treat players like cattle. Surely it owed a duty of care to SSA to explain its decision. Instead it makes up quotes. As I said before, by the time the mafia have finished, nothing will be left standing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zaka only had been in for a few months and look at the destruction he caused :ROFLMAO:

He made Shaheen captain without thinking anything through, Naqvi is just cleaning up his mess.

Now, such bad and unprofessional decisions from PCB have led to a rift between Shaheen and Babar, and unity will be lacking during the T20I World Cup. Mark my words, fruitful results are not coming.
It's better if babar steps down he has a rift with imam amir and now shaheen

Babar can laugh as much as he wants right now for getting away with it at this point in time but Karma is real The political situation in Pakistan is always fickle and things keep changing.

Shaheen and his gang are not going to forget this episode and when they ever come to power again, they will take their revenge as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zaka only had been in for a few months and look at the destruction he caused :ROFLMAO:

He made Shaheen captain without thinking anything through, Naqvi is just cleaning up his mess.
I don’t get it,

Removing an underperforming/failing captain is creating a mess?

Shaheen and his gang are not going to forget this episode and when they ever come to power again, they will take their revenge as well.
They’re part of the same group. Babar and Shaheen are friends and Shaheen has been immensely loyal to Babar Azam.

They’re part of the same group. Babar and Shaheen are friends and Shaheen has been immensely loyal to Babar Azam.
Don’t think their relationship will survive this.. Shaheen will likely and rightly assume this as backstabbing by Babar.

Don’t think their relationship will survive this.. Shaheen will likely and rightly assume this as backstabbing by Babar.
Plus you also need to understand, Shaheen has been sitting down and talking to Imad in order to convince him to return. Imad must have told him all the reasons he felt why he wasn’t a part of the Pakistan team.

Initially, Shaheen would have tried to play it down and console Imad saying to him it’s not as deep as Imad thinks it is….

But then this happens, now Shaheen will think that everything Imad had initially said was 100% true.

Shaheen was apparently told last week by the selectors about what they wanted to do. When he asked for a reason they responded Fast Bowlers don't make good captains and you need to focus on your bowling form, workload. He responded with a smile on his face, jaisay aapki marzi, do as you wish.

I am pretty sure the PCB attributed statements in the press release without his consent but he knows deep down there is no point in fighting with anyone over this but deep down he will be resentful with the parties involved i.e. Wahab, Yousaf, Babar, Naqvi and he will hold this grudge for years deep down in his heart which will come out later on when he himself is captain. I hope he doesn't indulge in the 90's style politics and deliberately undermine the captain Babar.

Babar has badly damaged his public reputation. People had some sympathy before when Zaka removed him as captain a few months ago but all that has dissipated now with his selfishness, emotional apathy and the surgical nature in which he has backstabbed Imad first in Karachi Kings and now Shaheen.

As per reports , MoYo and Wahab are adamant to sack SSA while Razzaq tried.to negate it, let's see what's next

As per a report

1. PCB have accepted their mistake in attributing a statement to Shaheen
2. SSA and BA ties remain strong and both parties will put matter behind them - but SSA remains unhappy with the situation

BTW

For all those here doing the high-horse thingy about PCB making up statements, this is not a new thing.

PCB media always put out statements on behalf of players - this is not a new thing. The only difference this time is that the player was probably angry from before this and did not want to say anything at all.

Back