Review of some Pakistani domestic cricketers at the right age who can possibly provide balance

Titan24

Senior Test Player
Runs
Post of the Week
So we have been seeing two extremes in Pakistan test setup, one is inexperienced young players without much FC experience but full of potential and the other is players on the wrong side of their 30s with limited potential but tons of experience.

Both these extremes lack the perfect balance. I personally dont mind inducting young players and grooming them but they do require support of players close to that perfect balance. It unfortunatley doesnt work like a balance scale where you put in weight on each sides to create a balance as you cant balance an inexperience of a teenager with high potential by selecting a 35-36 years old pacer.

When you want to groom a young player you need to support him with players at the peak of their skillet, fitness as well as having good amount of experience.

Lets have a look at the available players to which we can say are at the ripe age to provide that perfect balance. Which ones do you guys think are good enough or can become good enough to come in the team.

1) Ehsan Adil (27 years old; Right arm Fast Medium)

Averages 22 with the ball in FC cricket with 236 wickets in 63 matches. Didnt exactly set the world on fire in QAE 2019 but was bowling with pretty good pace and accuracy. His pace has improved in recent times and as per my estimation was bowling high 130s in QAE 2019 along with his famous nagging line and length. Is decent with the bat too with an avg of 16 and 3 50s in FC cricket. Played his last ODI and Test almost 5 years ago when he was 22.

Ehsan.jpg

2) Zafar Gohar (25 years old; Bowling all rounder (Slow left Arm Spinner and Left handed Batsman))

Averages 28 with the ball with 144 wickets and 21 with the bat along with 1083 runs in 39 matches. Someone who gives good revolutions on the ball and has temperament to perform under pressure. Won man of the tournament in QAE 2019. Played just one ODI almost 5 years ago.

Zafar.jpg

3) Saud Shakeel (24 years old; Left handed middle order Batsman and handy slow left arm spinner)

Averages 45 with the bat and has scored 7 100s in 36 FC matches. Have been part of many emerging teams as well as A teams. Know for his elegance, class and temperament in domestic circuit.
Saud.jpg

4) Sameen Gul (21 years old; Right arm fast medium)

Rated highly since his younger days and made his debut in FC cricket when he was only 16-17 years of age. He has already played 20 FC matches with an outstanding bowling average of 16.80. He is around 6 ft 3 inches tall and can move the ball from a good length.

View attachment 102688

5) Sami Aslam (24 years old; Left handed top order batsman)

Averages 38 in FC cricket with 14 100s in 73 FC matches. Was one of the highest runs scorers in QAE 2019. He was a star of U19 Pak team and has already played 13 tests for Pakistan with an average of 31 with the last one being 3 years ago. Showed a solid defense in test cricket but with limited scoring areas, an aspect which he probably has improved as per his numbers and performances in last QAE 2019.

Sami.jpg

6) Sajid Khan (26 years old; Right Arm off spinner)

Averages 25 with the ball with 74 wickets in 24 matches. He has a really smooth and likable action allowing him to form a good pivot and decent revs on the ball. A pretty handy lower order batsman with a FC 100, couple of 50s and an avg of 18.

Sajid Khan.jpg

7) Imran Butt (24 years old: Right Handed top order batsman)

Averages 36 with the bat, has scored 10 100s in 68 FC matches. Pretty solid tecnique for red ball cricket and someone who knows his game well. He is someone who came into domestic radar at a very young age of around 16. Was one of the highest scorers in QAE 2019.
Imran Butt.JPG

8) Raza Hassan (28 years old: Slow Left Arm Spinner)

Averages 28 with the ball in FC cricket with an excellent economy of 2.67 manifesting good control. A tall canny spinner who isnt very easy to hit around. Rated in T20 circuit all over Pakistan in his younger days and got the wickets of batsmen like Watson and Ghambir when he was just 20 while representing Pak in T20 world cup. He have had his fare share of troubles in his life. He has improved his batting in last few years and averages 18 with the bat with 1 100 and 4 50s. He is someone who has the temperament to rise upto the occassion which is a really important trait in close and important matches.

raza-hassan.jpg

9) Ahmed Bashir (24 years old; Right arm Fast bowler)

Averages 20 with the ball in 26 FC matches and 112 wickets. Someone who gets a natural zip from the surface and ability to go above 140 Kph and possibility upto 145 kph with slight development and adjustments.
Bashir.jpg

10) Zia Ul Haq (25 years old; Left arm Fast bowler)

Was rated really highly in his younger days and why not, a teenager bowling mid 140s kph is always a prospect to look at. His career didnt map out as he or anybody else expected but his numbers in FC cricket are pretty good with a bowling average of 26 and 203 wickets in 63 FC matches. Didnt set the world on fire in QAE 2019 but he has natural ability to move the ball around from his left arm angle and now with good mount of experience behind in he can definitely be someone who can be worked upon.
Zia.jpg

11) Mir Hamza (27 Years of age)

Averages 20 with the ball and has over 300 FC wickets with 26 5fers and 6 10fers. He doesnt have a lot of pace but has the ability to move the ball around. Can be good to have in the mix of bowlers who can provide decent control.
Mir-Hamza31-1280x720.jpg

These are few names around that perfect age and experience mix. Ofcourse all cannot be selected but I would prefer these players selected rather than asking people to take back retirements or forming a big collection of players on the wrong side of 30s. Some of them can definitely be brought into the test setup in my opinion to get the perfect balance in the team. Which players you guys think can be good enough? Please feel free to add any names which are or potentially will be touching their peak of skills and experience soon.

Last edited:
Excellent piece from OP, which is well worth POTW.

Misbah and Waqar got it all wrong in Australia by not selecting Sameen and/or Ehsan Adil. I think we could do with at least one of them during this England series.

Very good thread! Instead of just banking on teenagers like Naseem or veterans like Azhar, ideally we should be looking this way for strengthening our squad.

[MENTION=79064]MMHS[/MENTION] I know you say the barrel is empty, but I do think that it would at least be better trying these types of players as they are worth a shot and the right age.

Even if they fail, the process of selecting them is correct.

Great post but in sub-continent senior culture is too powerful and no local coach can overcome that.

Great thread OP.

In terms of bowling although we are sorted I would like to see Zafar in test squad while Raza in limited overs squad. Ehsan Adil for Sohail Khan should be an automatic pick.

In terms of batting I'm quite sceptical of the batting options mentioned in here. Apart from Sami Aslam as backup opener the others Saud Shakeel and Imran Butt are not there yet. You could have also mentioned Saad Ali as he had a stellar season 2 years back. For me personally having seen them bat I can say they are not ready for test cricket yet.

The middle order batsmen in whom investments should be made are Umar Amin and Haris Sohail to bat at 3 and 5 respectively.

I would like PCB to arrange a first class domestic tournament of 6 teams in September so we can rightly identify our best pool of XI for next round of SENA tours.

In my opinion, a test squad for the tour of NZ later this year should look like as follows:

1. Shan Masood
2. Imam ul Haq
3. Umar Amin
4. Babar Azam
5. Haris Sohail
6. Mohammad Rizwan
7. Shadab Khan
8. Faheem Ashraf / Ehsan Adil
9. Shaheen Shah
10. Mohammad Abbas
11. Naseem Shah

Reserves:
1. Faheem Ashraf / Ehsan Adil
2. Zafar Gohar
3. Sami Aslam
4. Imran Butt / Saud Shakeel

POTW, this is exactly the problem with our selection policies. Either we select very raw teenagers with hardly any FC experience, or players well past their prime.

A cricketer's prime years are about 24-32. If you're a batsman beyond that age, unless you're a Younis Khan or Misbah-ul-Haq, your reflexes will slow and that is reflected in your output. And a fast bowler will not be able to maintain their speeds.

The only exception would be a spinner who can keep going for as long as possible if they stay fit.

Pakistan often hide behind the excuse "there are no alternatives" but as the OP highlights, there are several players who have strong domestic records but for whatever reason are not in the good books of the selectors.

POTW for sure.
[MENTION=142432]Titan24[/MENTION] , just wanted to say I love how measured and logical your posts are bro, and this really shines a light well on the possible next talents need for Pakistan, across formats.

It's never preferable to have a large squad overhaul, which is why it was important for Misbah to have drip fed more younger batsmen into the test squads since his reign began. However that is where we find ourselves, and I personally would like to see Misbah (or his CS replacement) to have the courage to pick some of these talented, yet inexperienced lads for the next series.

POTW for me.

I think some of these players can be and should be tried.

Yasir Shah seems like he is past his prime. Shadab doesn't seem like a replacement. Another spinner needs to be groomed.

Great thread OP.

In terms of bowling although we are sorted I would like to see Zafar in test squad while Raza in limited overs squad. Ehsan Adil for Sohail Khan should be an automatic pick.

In terms of batting I'm quite sceptical of the batting options mentioned in here. Apart from Sami Aslam as backup opener the others Saud Shakeel and Imran Butt are not there yet. You could have also mentioned Saad Ali as he had a stellar season 2 years back. For me personally having seen them bat I can say they are not ready for test cricket yet.

The middle order batsmen in whom investments should be made are Umar Amin and Haris Sohail to bat at 3 and 5 respectively.

I would like PCB to arrange a first class domestic tournament of 6 teams in September so we can rightly identify our best pool of XI for next round of SENA tours.

In my opinion, a test squad for the tour of NZ later this year should look like as follows:

1. Shan Masood
2. Imam ul Haq
3. Umar Amin
4. Babar Azam
5. Haris Sohail
6. Mohammad Rizwan
7. Shadab Khan
9. Shaheen Shah
10. Mohammad Abbas
11. Naseem Shah

Reserves:
2. Zafar Gohar
3. Sami Aslam

Having not seen either Saud Shakeel or Imran Butt bat, I'm curious as to why they're not ready yet. Could you briefly talk about the technical flaws that may be holding them back?

Also, I'm also curious about your choice of Umar Amin. For a purely talent perspective, Umar is quality, is elegant and bowls handy left armers. However, the knock against him has always been that he gets found out mentally i.e. he may give his wicket away if he gets either bogged down or he faces a challenging spell. An example of this in the recent test was both Abid Ali dismissals and the Shadab dismissal in the first innings. Happy to get your thoughts on this.

Having not seen either Saud Shakeel or Imran Butt bat, I'm curious as to why they're not ready yet. Could you briefly talk about the technical flaws that may be holding them back?

Also, I'm also curious about your choice of Umar Amin. For a purely talent perspective, Umar is quality, is elegant and bowls handy left armers. However, the knock against him has always been that he gets found out mentally i.e. he may give his wicket away if he gets either bogged down or he faces a challenging spell. An example of this in the recent test was both Abid Ali dismissals and the Shadab dismissal in the first innings. Happy to get your thoughts on this.

First on Imran Butt. Imran undoubtedly had a really good QEA 2019 season however this could be a one-off similar to Saad Ali. So we have to see how he progresses in the next season.
I'm sceptical about Imran for couple of reasons. First, he is surely not 25 (like Ifti) and his fitness is not international standard. Speaking of technique he presents full face of bat while defending and is strong on deliveries outside off stump. However, he like many subcontinental player (like Abid) plays away from body and therefore this technique would need to nurtured for SENA tours.

Saud, this kid might have it to make it big. The problem with Saud is more mental ability rather than any technical flaw in his game. For starters the kid is not consistent enough, he is very much like James Vince he would play couple of breath taking shots and next ball give wicket away. I would like Saud to hammer on the mental side of him game and increase his application levels. It could be said that the guy gets overconfident and should learn to respect the game while playing shots. I have hope from this kid though, definitely someone who can play long for Pakistan.

Now on Umar Amin. I have maintained this stance for a long time now that this guy has the ability to play international standard bowlers together with his work ethic and willingness to learn he could have served Pakistan cricket so much over the past 5 years. The thing is pretty simple identify the best 10 batsmen and revolve your team around them and Umar certainly is one of them. In terms of ability he is right up there with Babar. I get this feeling that he would flourish more in international match than in domestics, he is the type of guy who would show greater application in big matches. The thing that makes him very un-Pakistani like is his willingness to put in hardwork, his work ethic and ability to improve (we have a similar example of how Shan has progressed and Shan's game is 50% of that of Umar).

I was surprised Mickey Arthur never gave him the chance as I rate Mickey highly. He should have picked him and stuck with him through tough times. It still not late for him though, I believe he has 4/5 years of good cricket left in him.

Ehsan Adil Sameen gul Raza Hasan Zafar Gohar Mir Hamza and Sami aslam are all who should have been in the mix for this tour.

Instead Misbah has selected kashif bhatti, Sohail Khan , Imran Khan, retired Wahab and Fawad alam

Remember Mir hamza and Asghar were in the mix of selections for test squad under MA and Inzi but didn’t get a game I think.

Look at the players Inzi and MA selected and look what this Misbah is selecting there is a massive difference. I believe Misbah is the next Iqbal Qasim or Intikhab Alam who will haunt and do damages for another 30 odd years

Very good and presentable thread. All the players mention are good enough to represent Pakistan. Solid assessment.

First on Imran Butt. Imran undoubtedly had a really good QEA 2019 season however this could be a one-off similar to Saad Ali. So we have to see how he progresses in the next season.
I'm sceptical about Imran for couple of reasons. First, he is surely not 25 (like Ifti) and his fitness is not international standard. Speaking of technique he presents full face of bat while defending and is strong on deliveries outside off stump. However, he like many subcontinental player (like Abid) plays away from body and therefore this technique would need to nurtured for SENA tours.

Saud, this kid might have it to make it big. The problem with Saud is more mental ability rather than any technical flaw in his game. For starters the kid is not consistent enough, he is very much like James Vince he would play couple of breath taking shots and next ball give wicket away. I would like Saud to hammer on the mental side of him game and increase his application levels. It could be said that the guy gets overconfident and should learn to respect the game while playing shots. I have hope from this kid though, definitely someone who can play long for Pakistan.

Now on Umar Amin. I have maintained this stance for a long time now that this guy has the ability to play international standard bowlers together with his work ethic and willingness to learn he could have served Pakistan cricket so much over the past 5 years. The thing is pretty simple identify the best 10 batsmen and revolve your team around them and Umar certainly is one of them. In terms of ability he is right up there with Babar. I get this feeling that he would flourish more in international match than in domestics, he is the type of guy who would show greater application in big matches. The thing that makes him very un-Pakistani like is his willingness to put in hardwork, his work ethic and ability to improve (we have a similar example of how Shan has progressed and Shan's game is 50% of that of Umar).
I was surprised Mickey Arthur never gave him the chance as I rate Mickey highly. He should have picked him and stuck with him through tough times.
It still not late for him though, I believe he has 4/5 years of good cricket left in him.

He also once said both Umar Amin and Haris Sohail batting style are more suited for ODIs and Tests but not T20s

Umar Amin a great injustice to him that he was played at 20 years old in England and discarded forever in tests.
His last t20 had 3sixers in the penultimate over of a t20 and didn’t get selected again. Till now not given a chance in ODIs

I’m thinking he might be bit sluggish in his approach as u said quite unpakistani like but surely has the ability and technique to play intl cricket.

I’m also surprised MA didn’t persist with him in Tests and ODIs.. He was asked to open in SA and NZL in LOIs couldn’t get any good score but that is too hard on him to be used as a yardstick for his performance

Great thread OP.

1. Shan Masood
2. Imam ul Haq
3. Umar Amin
4. Babar Azam
5. Haris Sohail
6. Mohammad Rizwan
7. Shadab Khan
9. Shaheen Shah
10. Mohammad Abbas
11. Naseem Shah

Reserves:
2. Zafar Gohar
3. Sami Aslam

I would still give more chances to Abid Ali he has the will power to succeed and he is trying hard with his technique. With an assured spot of his own will play more matches for Pakistan. Not easy for an opening batsman to score century on debut against the Aussies whenever it may be.

His technique is fine , just a small town guy, will get on with few more matches and runs under his belt. If he is persisted with in this three match series he might get a good score in the 3rd test or might be in the 2nd test.

Other than that I totally agree Umar amin, Haris Sohail,Imam, usman salahuddin, Haider Ali are the ones to be backed for tests in the future. I highly doubt if Misbah will be able to do that. Can’t see him taking any of them except Imam and Haris Sohail. And he will give 100 reasons for not backing others. But will select Sohail Kahn, Imran Khan Wahab and Kashif.

Last edited:
I’ll add Amad Butt and Umer Amin as well and a leggi but I don’t know whom. And, I’ll definitely add Arshad (pacer) in this list - you ask me, given equal opportunities I believe Arshad has a higher celling than Naseem, definitely Musa.

This list covers almost every avenues- couple of openers, few pacers, couple of SLAO spinners, a very good offie, I think there are couple of WKs not mentioned here but we know (& it’s not essential either - Rizwan can stay there for 5-6 years more), few middle order batsmen....

But no back up young leggi and I am not confident about Shadab delivering as specialist leggi to bowl 60+!overs. I don’t agree with Junaids formula and don’t believe it’ll work for PAK - couple of genuine spinners are essential for PCT - one of them has to be leggi. People boast about PAK’s fast bowlers but often miss the point that in 70 years, PAK has given some of the best ever leggis - Intekhab, AQadir, Mushi, Danish, Yasir ... it’s alarming when it comes down to Shadab Khan being the saviour leggi.

But, first PCB must fix the captaincy - Azhar isn’t working, bigger mistake will be to appoint Rizwan or go back to Sarfraz while for PAK’s sake - keep Babar out of being the beast of burden. I actually won’t have made him LO captain either, had that cheat guy not chickened out of Test cricket.

It’s the utmost priority that Shan Masood is going for toss, very next Test (probably against us) after PAK returns back from UK.

Amazing thread. We need to get rid of the senior players - Misbah has to take some tough decisions. Draft in Saud and maybe Sami Aslam. The objective will be to lower the age of the squad and identify players who can produce now and for years to come.

1. Shan Masood*
2. Sami Aslam/ Abid Ali
3. Haris Sohail
4. Babar Azam
5. Saud Shakeel
6. Fawad Alam (or another domestic performer that is younger)
7. Mohammad Rizwan (WK)
8. Yasir Shah/Zafar Gohar
9. Shaheen Shah Afridi
10. Naseem Shah/Sameen Gul
11. Mohammad Abbas

This team looks more promising to me. Maybe play Zafar and Yasir on a turning pitch. Fawad and Haris will only play until younger alternatives play more FC.

Amazing thread. We need to get rid of the senior players - Misbah has to take some tough decisions. Draft in Saud and maybe Sami Aslam. The objective will be to lower the age of the squad and identify players who can produce now and for years to come.

1. Shan Masood*
2. Sami Aslam/ Abid Ali
3. Haris Sohail
4. Babar Azam
5. Saud Shakeel
6. Fawad Alam (or another domestic performer that is younger)
7. Mohammad Rizwan (WK)
8. Yasir Shah/Zafar Gohar
9. Shaheen Shah Afridi
10. Naseem Shah/Sameen Gul
11. Mohammad Abbas

This team looks more promising to me. Maybe play Zafar and Yasir on a turning pitch. Fawad and Haris will only play until younger alternatives play more FC.

Abid to old
Harris cant play in sena
Yasir not long term

Sami aslam
Shan masood
Usman salahuddin
Babar
Saud shakeel
Haider Ali
Rizwan
Gohar
Shaheen
Naseem shah
Abbas

Then the likes of osama bin yousuf,imran butt,abdullah shafique,shadab and yamin,ehsan adil

Last edited:
Wonderful thread! Ehsan Adil Zafar gohar and saud Shakeel should have been on this tour.That loser misbah has selected Sohail who averaged 39 and Imran who averaged 49 in recently concluded domestic season ehsan should have definitely be selected.Misbah is gonna destroy lot more careers.

[MENTION=142432]Titan24[/MENTION] , just wanted to say I love how measured and logical your posts are bro, and this really shines a light well on the possible next talents need for Pakistan, across formats.

Thanks for your kind words brother.

Good list of players

It's a shame Pakistan has never rated left arm off spin otherwise the op could have added a few names

Zia ul haq is an interesting one, out of that 2014 u19 team only the openers were given chances
The rest of that team hasn't really been pushed through

Abid to old
Harris cant play in sena
Yasir not long term

Yasir is not long term, but I don't see him getting dropped. This squad is one which can play in our next Test series. Haris is at 3, due to not many number 3's available, but maybe an opener like Imam can play at number 3. The aging players in my team can be replaced when adequate replacements are found.

Yasir is not long term, but I don't see him getting dropped. This squad is one which can play in our next Test series. Haris is at 3, due to not many number 3's available, but maybe an opener like Imam can play at number 3. The aging players in my team can be replaced when adequate replacements are found.

I agree I dont see him getting dropped the thing if we only have limited amount of spinners one of them being zahar gohar.

Usman salahuddin is a good player but needs to be given opportunities.i wouldnt mind imaam at 3 azwell.

Thier is enough talent in pakistan for example imran butt,zeeshan Malik,omair bin yousuf,haider ali,abdullah shafique

I belive Usman saladin should replace azhar and haider should replace shafiq

Appreciate your effort but these players are not going to get considered anytime soon. The reason is that most of these players do not fit Misbah's criteria. They are in mid-late 20s with ample first class experience but not past their prime.

Misbah's controlling nature requires such players who do not standup to him and basically comply with his dictatorial ways. That is why we see either oldies who are way past their prime or teenagers who are too young to question him. Both sets are indebted to him for their selection and thus remain under his control.

Back