Riots erupt in Brussels after Morocco pull off World Cup upset beating Belgium

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Riots have broken out in Brussels after Morocco shocked Belgium by winning 2-0 during a World Cup clash in Qatar.

Police were forced to seal off parts of Brussels as they tried to disperse crowds.

Officers deployed water cannons and fired tear gas to halt dozens of rioters.

Cars were pelted with bricks and steps were set on fire, while one person suffered facial injuries, according to Brussels police spokeswoman Ilse Van de Keere.

Philippe Close, the mayor of Brussels, urged football fans to stay away from the city centre and said authorities were doing their utmost to keep order in the streets.

Subway and tram traffic had to be interrupted on police orders.

The victory for the North African side was a big upset at the World Cup and was celebrated by fans with Moroccan immigrant roots in many Belgian cities.

Morocco's Romain Saiss put the side ahead in the 73rd minute, before Zakaria Aboukhlal clinched the victory in stoppage time.

The result means Belgium are likely to need a win over Croatia in their final group match to qualify for the knockout stages.

It was not immediately clear how many people were detained during the disturbances in Brussels.

SKY

Europeans are becoming more and more extreme. The hatred Europeans are spewing over the last few years is worrying for Europe.

Morocco outplayed them, fully deserved to win.

The governments of European nations are inciting hate esp against Russia, Middle Eastern nations, China.

Lets NEVER forget the TWO World Wars were started in Europe. These people need to become civilised.

By the viral videos online, it seems like they are attacking Moroccan fans in Belgium.

Brussels has plenty of Morrocans who have lived in Belgium for a long time yet are still ostracised and shunned.

I am assuming ( based very much on loose observations from travelling) that some disenfranchised youths took the opportunity to take out some rage against the native belgians.

Brussels has plenty of Morrocans who have lived in Belgium for a long time yet are still ostracised and shunned.

I am assuming ( based very much on loose observations from travelling) that some disenfranchised youths took the opportunity to take out some rage against the native belgians.

Why not the other way around? Some close-minded natives questioning the loyalty of those immigrants who are happy over the win?

Why not the other way around? Some close-minded natives questioning the loyalty of those immigrants who are happy over the win?

It's possible.Belgium/France are two of the most racist countries in the world. I am only speculating.

The situation I observed leads me to believe that the Belgians have mistreated the morrocans so much that any chance to thumb their nose at the Belgians would have been taken by Morrocan youths.

Not a football fan but loved the match. Belgium looked veryw ell in the first 30 mins, after that Morocco started to defend very well and were able to match the pace.

Morroco scored two very fantastic goals, i was surprised that with the star power that Belgium had, they couldn't even create a chacne

It's possible.Belgium/France are two of the most racist countries in the world. I am only speculating.

The situation I observed leads me to believe that the Belgians have mistreated the morrocans so much that any chance to thumb their nose at the Belgians would have been taken by Morrocan youths.

You're just making assumptions it was the Moroccans who started the aggression. Reports of riots across multiple cities and Belgium losing means most of the violence is from the natives.

Moroccans just dont take not nonsense and fight back.

You're just making assumptions it was the Moroccans who started the aggression. Reports of riots across multiple cities and Belgium losing means most of the violence is from the natives.

Moroccans just dont take not nonsense and fight back.

I have said I am making an assumption.

So Moroccans went to Belgium and got angry at Belgians as to how they were treated and waited for a chance to thumb their nose at Belgians waiving Moroccan flags?

European nations have colonised Africa and Asia for the last two centuries, not that surprising that there is some violence witnessed in Europe when their own lose to the former slaves.

So Moroccans went to Belgium and got angry at Belgians as to how they were treated and waited for a chance to thumb their nose at Belgians waiving Moroccan flags?

I think until you have visited north African communities in France/Belgium it is difficult to understand the level of marginalisation.

When you win a sports game after a long time of taking beatings then its easy to suddenly get the emotions riled up.

I mean even in India, Kashmiris start to celebrate Pak wins in the middle of university campuses knowing full well they will recieve major blowback, but still those fleeting moments of joy make it worth it.

I have said I am making an assumption.

You should assume its the Belgium's because they are the majority and also they lost the match.

However, its totally idiotic of them or any rioters to destroy their own nation because of a football match.

I think until you have visited north African communities in France/Belgium it is difficult to understand the level of marginalisation.

When you win a sports game after a long time of taking beatings then its easy to suddenly get the emotions riled up.

I mean even in India, Kashmiris start to celebrate Pak wins in the middle of university campuses knowing full well they will recieve major blowback, but still those fleeting moments of joy make it worth it.

Not the same.. Going to Belgium is for better life, Morocco is an Independent sovereign country.

Also Moroccans and West Sahara issues are somewhat like India Kashmir.

Why are the riots happening in Netherlands as well? They are not even involved.

European nations have colonised Africa and Asia for the last two centuries, not that surprising that there is some violence witnessed in Europe when their own lose to the former slaves.

Its unlikely.

The situation as I have outlined is likely what happened.

Still the Belgians fault imo for their treatment of morrocans but I dont think its as simple as some white belgians getting angry and going to beat immigrants.

Not the same.. Going to Belgium is for better life, Morocco is an Independent sovereign country.

Also Moroccans and West Sahara issues are somewhat like India Kashmir.

These are 2nd/3rd generation.

And I am not equating the politicial situation with Kashmir - more so the situation that sporting passions can lead one to sometimes do irrational things if you have other grievances.

Its unlikely.

The situation as I have outlined is likely what happened.

Still the Belgians fault imo for their treatment of morrocans but I dont think its as simple as some white belgians getting angry and going to beat immigrants.

I didn't even mention immigrants.

Doesn't say which side initiated the trouble. Lets not be hypocrites here pointing the finger at Belgium fans accusing them off all sorts. This is no different to when Afghan's living in Pakistan celebrate Pak's defeat that equally angers people like me. Gotta be sensitive to the feelings of the host nation.

They are most likely the North african immigrants who live there .

From the few videos I saw, this is what it looks like ... idiots setting the cars on fire and damaging public and pvt properties. Who knows who and what started it all, but the camera seems to show third world population caught in the act with no shame or respect for the country they now call home.

From the few videos I saw, this is what it looks like ... idiots setting the cars on fire and damaging public and pvt properties. Who knows who and what started it all, but the camera seems to show third world population caught in the act with no shame or respect for the country they now call home.

Even if they did, it is apparently revenge for Belgiums colonization of Morocco, ..... oh wait....

Like Hindus in Leicester?

If this was Afghans doing the same to Pakistanis in Peshawar if they beat Pakistan then we know what the reaction would be like. I have seen videos of Morocco fans mob the average joe going on with his shopping in the street who had said nothing to them. Its pretty tasteless

Back