Screaming Cat Series One Review

Cover Drive

Senior ODI Player
Runs
03 November 2011 - That is the date I will never forget because on that day I spoke with 'Godfather' of podshaving and that is no other than Julian Millichamp. As we started our conversation I told Julian about my batting style that how I bat and how are the pitches here in Canada. So after explaining him everything Julian had put two options infront of me which were - Series One and Series Three. I am very picky when it comes to pickup because I feel that most important aspect for a batsman is pickup and I told Julian I want with very good pickup but on the other hand want a bat that will be good for our pitches in Canada. So Julian further went on and explain me so at last he said that for me Series One.

After selecting the shape we came to weight, the weight I wanted and I use is around 2.8ish, however, Julian said the lowest weight for Series One is 2.10 where Julian further explained me how 2 ounces won't make any difference. So obviously I would have looked and sounded like an idiot if I would have went on and argued with Julian over the weight as he is complete dictionary when it comes to batmaking. However, Julian did tell me how he has two type of handles which are of 7 ounces and 10 ounces. He said if I still wanted 2.8 lbs bat then he can use 7 ounces handle but I wanted a thick oval handle so I said please use 10 ounce handle. Julian without any hesitation said no problem.

So everything was then sorted out and I hung the phone after talking to Julian for fifty or so minutes, so later during that day I fired an email to Julian with my specifications and sent him payment via PayPal which was eCheque (which takes seven to ten days to clear) but Julian said that he will be sending the bat after five business days and he trust me with the payment. I must say I was very impressed with this gesture because it was not a small sum so that was another great thing from a top man.

Everything was sorted out then it was game of patience :)). Julian was man of his words and he took exactly five business days to make the bat and on sixth day which was 11 November 2011 bat was shipped from Australia. Now for me it was just tracking number and Canada Posts website which was being abused by me like no tomorrow :)). Anyways, so time went by and I was suppose to get bat delivered at my house on 17th of November but the mailman left delivery notice in my mailbox so I had to pick it up from Post Office on next day after 13:00 EST. 17th of November night was probably one of those nights where I could not sleep, I was literally awake and dream of Screaming Cat. So after Friday Prayer and all of my work I went to post office at around 17:30 EST to receive the parcel so when I went there the lady was not able to find my parcel so I had easily spotted bat box being on other side of the counter and I got it. So as soon I got it and signed off I went on side of the store and opened the box right there on the stop because it was very hard for me to control myself. So after seeing the bat this is what I said to myself ''I have failed to find any bat better than this''.

Feel of the bat - Pickup and Balance

Now coming onto the bat I quickly drove to my house and worn batting gloves which Julian had sent for free (another great gesture of top man) to check the pickup first because that is what I cared about the most and when I held the bat in my bats I said this to myself ''No way this bat is 2.10''. I did shadow batting for a bit to see how is the pickup of the bat along balance and after seven to ten minutes I was assured the feel is exactly the way I wanted and it was just like how I wanted a bat to feel. It really didn't take me very long to say to myself that the feel is perfect because a top man made the bat who have made bats for hundreds and hundreds of players so what was I infront of them?

One thing I noticed was that the bat was absolutely flat and it had no bow whatsoever. I am not too sure if that makes a difference in pickup but I am definitely not bothered with it as it doesn't really make a difference to me.

So the feel box was ticked and the bat passed that.

Rebound of the bat - Ping

Since I don't have a mallet so I couldn't test the ping with it so I had a Dukes ball. So I brought the ball and went in open to check the ping of the bat and after seeing the ping I said to myself ''This is the best ping my eyes have ever witnessed on a bat''. My Laver & Wood Pro bat has impeccable ping but believe me infront of Screaming Cat it was nothing really, there was a significant difference between both and it was clearly visible. I also compared the ping of my other bats with this Screaming Cat and still they were no where close to Julian Millichamp made Screaming Cat Series One. While bouncing the ball one thing I noticed was that the ping throughout the face was marvellous and the sound was brilliant too! Obviously around splice region ping was not as good as the middle but that is understandable. Although the bat requires knocking and it is not fully knocked but if a unprepared bat was rebounding so well then one can wonder how a fully knocked Screaming Cat would perform. Seeing the bat face with light the dents on face were clearly visible which was proof that master of podshaving had himself tested the ping of the bat and there was no chance it would disappoint me.

Final words - Finishing etc

Out of all the bats I have the best finishing I have ever seen on a bat was of this Screaming Cat, Salix, Newbery and MB Malik Limited Edition I got have very good finishing but the finishing of Screaming Cat was impeccable and better than all three mentioned above.

The handle was thick oval but top of handle was a bit thinner than my preference but then it is single gripped and I can make top of handle thicker with use of different grip system etc. So that is really not a worry but the bottom hand feels very good as it is exactly what I wanted. Along Laver & Wood, Millichamp and Hall I would say Screaming Cat handles are my favourite - well both Laver & Wood and Millichamp and Hall obviously got the idea from Julian Millichamp as he was founder of one of the company and 'teacher' of other company owner.

My experience throughout this deal was perfect and if I were to rate out of ten then it would be easily ten out of ten because of Julian's impeccable service, craftsmanship etc from the first minute we spoke till I got my hands on the bat everything was as I wanted and I couldn't ask for anything else. Julian had thrown a free pair of batting gloves, few grips and impressive bat cover which looks amazing for a bat.

So out of all bats I can easily say that Screaming Cat is the best bat I have ever owned in my life I don't think I will find anything better than a Screaming Cat in my life ever. I am sure in future I will be getting another Screaming Cat but this is too early to say right now.

I would like to give special thanks to Julian Millichamp for his impeccable service and throughout deal he was perfect person for the job. I have bought loads of stuff but never had this sort of experience with anyone really. So Julian Millichamp is top man and his service was top as well. My words really don't describe much of the experience, I highly recommend Julian if anyone wants to deal with him. Both Julian and his bats are out of world really :).

I hope you guys liked this review as I do believe I took your precious time so enjoy the pictures now.

If you have any question please don't hesitate to ask me.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Here are the pictures..

ScreamingCat34.jpg

ScreamingCat1-1.jpg

ScreamingCat2.jpg

ScreamingCat3.jpg

ScreamingCat4.jpg

ScreamingCat31.jpg

ScreamingCat18.jpg

ScreamingCat13.jpg

ScreamingCat8.jpg

ScreamingCat9.jpg

Last edited:
Amazing pictures dammit! Puts all other bats to shame. In depth detailed review too. Now I want me one of these real bad! Buy a scat before I die inshallah. I have a feeling the pro laver might still put up a good show against one of these scats to be honest. Can't wait to shadow bat with the scat when we meet up. Congrats boy! Don't think you'll need another bat for ages.
:D

Wow!! You lucky dude!! Hearty congrats on acquiring the Kohinoor among all the gems that you already have; amazing bro!! We are all happy for you. That's it I am selling all my GNs to get one SC :))

Thanks for the kind words brothers :) I appreciate it :)

ECD Bhai, definitely bro you know where I am and where my stuff is so you can definitely have a whack.

Zeusky bhai, wait a minute? Screaming Cat now? I thought it was Laver&Wood....

Thanks for the kind words brothers :) I appreciate it :)

ECD Bhai, definitely bro you know where I am and where my stuff is so you can definitely have a whack.

Zeusky bhai, wait a minute? Screaming Cat now? I thought it was Laver&Wood....

Man, after seeing this Laver has lost its Wood for me and Red has toppled on its Back; need a lot more pics bro taken in daylight otherwise I am coming knocking at your door to take some pictures myself :D

Haha LOL :)) :)) - Since it was Screaming Cat I wanted to do something special for it so I spent lot of time in editing the pictures out and I am no pro at it so I was just playing around and that took around two hours to do all this one by one. So it was all editing, however, since you are interested I can take some pictures for you in daylight tomorrow :)

PS: you are more than welcome to come to my house by the way :)

Great job with the pics in low-light and stupendous editing too. But we need to celebrate this occasion in broad daylight as well.

Going to the airport to buy tickets....in a while.

:)) Actually I take pictures of bats in low-light as it looks better but tomorrow I will post of daylight as well for sure.

Haha just let me know flight number and I will meet you at airport ;-)

Congrats Bro; that’s an awesome awesome bat :) …. And yes, welcome to the club :D

Since you have bats from almost all brands, your comparison of Scat vs the rest is great to read. Wait till you oil it & then knock it with mallet … it’ll take the ping/bat response to whole new level. And for sure another grip would make the pickup/feel much more better (I have put an extra grip too)

Now that you have overcome the first agony i.e. ordering/waiting/receiving … get ready for next one i.e. oiling/knocking/and wanting to whack the ball :))

Btw, why have you taken such dark/gloomy photos; bring out the lightness bro; the willow is much more beautiful than what your photos are showing :)

Could you also put a small review of the gloves vs what you have/know? That would be interesting too …

Congrats Bro; that’s an awesome awesome bat :) …. And yes, welcome to the club :D

Since you have bats from almost all brands, your comparison of Scat vs the rest is great to read. Wait till you oil it & then knock it with mallet … it’ll take the ping/bat response to whole new level. And for sure another grip would make the pickup/feel much more better (I have put an extra grip too)

Now that you have overcome the first agony i.e. ordering/waiting/receiving … get ready for next one i.e. oiling/knocking/and wanting to whack the ball :))

Btw, why have you taken such dark/gloomy photos; bring out the lightness bro; the willow is much more beautiful than what your photos are showing :)

Could you also put a small review of the gloves vs what you have/know? That would be interesting too …

JazaakAllah Khair for kind words brother :) They mean a lot to me :)

I will definitely over the next few days post comparison between Screaming Cat and other bats.

Haha I don't think I will have enough guts to use this in indoors nets, will only use if balls are dead old and are good ones otherwise hell no! LOL

Actually whenever I do review of my bats I always take pictures in low light so when I transferred the pictures to my MacBook last night from camera I thought of doing something special for Screaming Cat so it took me like two hours to edit those pictures :)) But I will take daylight pictures and post soon!

Will definitely do, I will make a thread for gloves where I will post comparison of other gloves.

Once again JazaakAllah Khair for kind words brother you did a lot :)

I played with Powerbow on Thursday mate, bowlers were using poor quality balls so I got quite few jerks/shock. I was middling quite well with it but I'm sure this will replace Powerbow.

AFter using it on Thursday the love for it does not seem to be same lol

Great pictures bro; thanks for keeping our requests. Why no toe guard by the way? Keep us updated on your continuing adventures with this one.

Julian doesn't apply toe guards, man the toe is well finished and I love its smoothness :))

I will apply toe guard, I need to buy it first, Julian told me go with shoe goo maybe I will have a look at that

Lot better phots Uzair; now you can see the beauty of the bat :)

Why don't you keep it without toe guard? It looks quite nice without one :D

(yes but you would need to oil the toe)

Haha :))

Yaar I like having toe guards because of crease tapping, it damages the toe of the bat so I try to avoid that. I know it looks nice but I try to take care rather than damage it

If I apply toe guard then I don't need to oil it.

awesome bat CD.

I saw a screaming cat in the nets last thursday- more concaved than yours but real nice pickup as well.

did he tell you how to prepare your bat or any such info?

Any chance you can do me a huge favour and please ask Julian where he got this WHITE Mallet from?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiyNeql7Jmg

at 1:56

is this a complete wooden mallet or something else??

Great bat Uzair bhai. This one and KashifJ's one are equally as pleasing to the eye. Mr Millichamp is certainly a most talented bat maker. Hope you both make tons of runs with your cats.

awesome bat CD.

I saw a screaming cat in the nets last thursday- more concaved than yours but real nice pickup as well.

did he tell you how to prepare your bat or any such info?

Any chance you can do me a huge favour and please ask Julian where he got this WHITE Mallet from?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiyNeql7Jmg

at 1:56

is this a complete wooden mallet or something else??

Cheers bro!

He just said oil and then knock till whole face is intended, this is also written on sheet which came along the bat (small sticker).

Haha I will ask him, but I doubt we will be able to find this for ourselves :( I have tried in past too!

It is apparently made from plastic.

Great bat Uzair bhai. This one and KashifJ's one are equally as pleasing to the eye. Mr Millichamp is certainly a most talented bat maker. Hope you both make tons of runs with your cats.

JazaakAllah Khair for the kind words Aamer Bhai!

Update on Screaming Cat;

I have been oiling and have oiled it now so just waiting for it to dry before I begin knocking.

I double gripped the bat and now the handle is perfect, it is exactly how I wanted the handle to be and I am very happy with it. I must also add that the pickup has gotten even better now and it feels much lighter and feels brilliant!

Guys, forget other bats just move towards Screaming Cat :)) ;-)

Update on Screaming Cat;

I have been oiling and have oiled it now so just waiting for it to dry before I begin knocking.

I double gripped the bat and now the handle is perfect, it is exactly how I wanted the handle to be and I am very happy with it. I must also add that the pickup has gotten even better now and it feels much lighter and feels brilliant!

Guys, forget other bats just move towards Screaming Cat :)) ;-)

Erm, you've hit how many balls with this bat?

I thought I'd update you guys on Screaming Cat :).

First up I'll be honest I don't like to knock bats nor the bat is fully knocked. However, with my new mallet I did create a hairline crack on the face :)). But I'm not too worried about it as it is just wood and it is meant to be fragile and break :). So enjoy the bat as much I can :).

Anyways, so I took it to nets and played with it. I was playing after a while so I was not middling well to be honest. Regardless I played first ball in style :)) and that was getting outside edge. So far all of the new bats I have gotten and in there first nets I have started off a outside edge lol.

So once my eye was set in I started middling better and believe me this bat is a belter! I have said BlackCat, Salix etc I have ping exceptionally well but this was better than those, as Biggie Smalls said in one of his songs "..I'm two levels above you...''. The ball was travelling a great distance and I remember coming down the track and hitting spinner over his head, it came off toe end of the bat but believe me it went like a rocket!

I'm extremely satisfied with Screaming Cat and at some time in future I do see myself buying another one of Screaming Cat, how long it will be? I don't know yet :)

Let me know if anyone has any questions :)

I thought I'd update you guys on Screaming Cat :).

First up I'll be honest I don't like to knock bats nor the bat is fully knocked. However, with my new mallet I did create a hairline crack on the face :)). But I'm not too worried about it as it is just wood and it is meant to be fragile and break :). So enjoy the bat as much I can :).

Anyways, so I took it to nets and played with it. I was playing after a while so I was not middling well to be honest. Regardless I played first ball in style :)) and that was getting outside edge. So far all of the new bats I have gotten and in there first nets I have started off a outside edge lol.

So once my eye was set in I started middling better and believe me this bat is a belter! I have said BlackCat, Salix etc I have ping exceptionally well but this was better than those, as Biggie Smalls said in one of his songs "..I'm two levels above you...''. The ball was travelling a great distance and I remember coming down the track and hitting spinner over his head, it came off toe end of the bat but believe me it went like a rocket!

I'm extremely satisfied with Screaming Cat and at some time in future I do see myself buying another one of Screaming Cat, how long it will be? I don't know yet :)

Let me know if anyone has any questions :)

Congrats bro ... good to hear that your Scat performed great. You'll see how it changes gears now; after bunch of net sessions Scat would raise the bar to whole new level ... just wait and see :D

Congrats bro ... good to hear that your Scat performed great. You'll see how it changes gears now; after bunch of net sessions Scat would raise the bar to whole new level ... just wait and see :D

I wonder how better it will get, it is already quite good in my eyes :))

Very nice bat CD, looks like the rest of your collection will be made redundant

I would say that it is deffinately worth it though. In saying that, I am in Aus so I am used to those prices, plus I actually went to Julian's workshop and had the bat made in front of me. It was easily the best cricket gear experience I've ever had and I hope to go back again before he finishes up. Good thing that my grand parents in Melbourne only live around 1.5hrs away from Daylesford.

I would say that it is deffinately worth it though. In saying that, I am in Aus so I am used to those prices, plus I actually went to Julian's workshop and had the bat made in front of me. It was easily the best cricket gear experience I've ever had and I hope to go back again before he finishes up. Good thing that my grand parents in Melbourne only live around 1.5hrs away from Daylesford.

This.

But I haven't been there, the quality and the way the bat plays it is exceptional!

This.

But I haven't been there, the quality and the way the bat plays it is exceptional!

I wouldn't expect anything less :)

I just had the opportunity/privilege to go see him work, which pretty much meant that the price went out the window, lol :D.

I wouldn't expect anything less :)

I just had the opportunity/privilege to go see him work, which pretty much meant that the price went out the window, lol :D.

If you don't mind me asking were the prices same as today when you got a bat off him couple of years ago?

If you don't mind me asking were the prices same as today when you got a bat off him couple of years ago?

Pretty much. At the time he did each model at the price of the model below it. So I got the Proffessional at the Elite price, which was around AUD$600-$625 (down from $675) if I remember correctly. I think he stopped doing that a while ago.

I didn't pay postage, but that is usually $70-$80 at it's cheapest from Australia to the UK or USA/Canada.

I bought pads and gloves at a dsicount too, although I have never used either of them, just got a bit excited while I was there, lol.

Pretty much. At the time he did each model at the price of the model below it. So I got the Proffessional at the Elite price, which was around AUD$600-$625 (down from $675) if I remember correctly. I think he stopped doing that a while ago.

I didn't pay postage, but that is usually $70-$80 at it's cheapest from Australia to the UK or USA/Canada.

I bought pads and gloves at a dsicount too, although I have never used either of them, just got a bit excited while I was there, lol.

Ah okay, I paid him $675 AUD that included postage and a pair of gloves (Professional ones).

If I buy another one then I get Professional at price of Elite so $50 AUD discount.

I did have a offer of getting bat for $625 AUD without gloves but I'm a softs geek so I said I want the gloves too lol so same for me I got excited for the gloves and they are out-fashioned despite they are comfortable.

beautiful bat CD, I think the price is relative, expensive for sure, but not as expensive as going through a number of bats searching for the holy grail!

why go through buying multiple bats when the perfect one is available.

beautiful bat CD, I think the price is relative, expensive for sure, but not as expensive as going through a number of bats searching for the holy grail!

why go through buying multiple bats when the perfect one is available.

Cheers mate :).

Certainly expensive but worth each and every penny, sometimes thoughts do cross my minds and I think of buying another as a backup as I fear that Julian might retire soon lol but thats just thoughts nothing have been done in regards to that yet.

Thats true, this is indeed perfect for me but then I have a hobby of using new/different bats for some reasons lol.

maybe get an exact copy made by a cheaper costom bat place for nets(i know it won't be the same but close), reduce the chance of breaking.

Thats true, there is one new company in UK by name of BlankBats who sell exact same bat like Screaming Cat.

What an amazing review, one can only imagine the delight you must have experienced when you would have first held the bat in your hands. Mashallah CD bhai, this must be one of the best willows ive ever seen, absolutely immaculate.

Do keep us update on how it plays once its all knocked in.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

What an amazing review, one can only imagine the delight you must have experienced when you would have first held the bat in your hands. Mashallah CD bhai, this must be one of the best willows ive ever seen, absolutely immaculate.

Do keep us update on how it plays once its all knocked in.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Wow, great to see you back! It has been a while since you posted :).

JazaakAllah Khair for the kind words bhai, I appreciate it!

I will definitely keep you guys updated on the bat performances.

It certainly felt amazing when I first got my hands on it.

What a peach! Cant wait to see you roll this bat out in the nets so i can maybe borrow it from you for a few hits :D

Hello Cover Drive,

Some questions -->

1) Which one do you prefer of the L&W Reserve and the Scat?
2) Why did you choose to get the Scat even thought you have the L&W?
3) How do you rate the two in terms of pickup, ping and match response?
4) I'm an opening bat so I need something with a light pickup but also prefer a mid to low sweetspot (I play on many different pictches - 50% low and slow and the others somewhat bouncy). At the same time, I would like the sweetspot to be extended as much as possible with a bow to the blade. Which one would you recommend?

Thanks a lot

Hello Cover Drive,

Some questions -->

1) Which one do you prefer of the L&W Reserve and the Scat?
2) Why did you choose to get the Scat even thought you have the L&W?
3) How do you rate the two in terms of pickup, ping and match response?
4) I'm an opening bat so I need something with a light pickup but also prefer a mid to low sweetspot (I play on many different pictches - 50% low and slow and the others somewhat bouncy). At the same time, I would like the sweetspot to be extended as much as possible with a bow to the blade. Which one would you recommend?

Thanks a lot
Cover Drive is no more a member of pak passion, he is a bat collector and has almost all top brands. I know him well because we both have same bad habit of collecting top end bats.

Back