Screaming Cats, how good are they?

Cover Drive

Senior ODI Player
Runs
As the title says how good are Screaming Cats? Do they really justify the £400+ price tag they have? Any buyers of Screaming Cats here? If so what are your views on them?

I nearly bought one off Tom@Ayrtek, but I decided against it in the end. It would've been nice to have owned one, but considering how much they cost I thought about it and I realised that I don't need a bat 'that good' as I felt as though I wouldn't want to use it just incase it breaks and so on.

I haven't seen one used in the flesh either to be honest as they're fairly rare in the UK due to the postage, tax and so on... Personally for the level of cricket that I play, my bats are too good for me anyway but there's nothing better than getting full value for the shots that you play.

However if I could afford one, I might be tempted in all honesty - but that's mainly due to curiosity rather than actually wanting one because they're so good...

CD bhai how did you get one? I thought you have to go to Julian's factory to get them, or buy them online direct from him?

Is there any point with these "premium" bats such as laver and wood? They use the same willow as any other L.E bat as far as i know.

No there is no point on buying these bats at all. They are made frm same English Willow and perform no better then any other bats..

I agree with you Mattw but I always thinking what has made them price this much? What is so special about them?

QS, yes you can email them and buy them.

I think Johng has used one maybe he can shed some light..

I agree with you Mattw but I always thinking what has made them price this much? What is so special about them?

QS, yes you can email them and buy them.

I think Johng has used one maybe he can shed some light..

Do not put Laver and Wood in the same breath as Screaming Cat as lately I have bought 2 Lavers that are dogs.

The price tag on Screaming Cats is high however, Julian does not get it wrong he is very particular when he shapes and chooses your cleft therefore, you get an absolute gem. You can spend a lot more than 400 pounds trying to find a bat that performs like a screaming cat so the purchase price is rather cheap for the way these bats perform. To go out and bat with one of these masterpieces in just a joy as it simply flies off the middle.

I have used one in the nets to face an over (v possessive guy who bought it and wouldn't let me use any longer lol ). This was in the pre-season nets last year.

To be fair it was nothing extra special. pickup was good but ping was nothing like my SS (grade 2 EW) at the time. The bat had an excellent finish and looked like extra love had gone into making it.

But still doesn't justify the price tag for me. Rather get 2-3 good quality bats for that price.

I have used two.

They have a very outdated shape, small edges, heavy-ish pick up.
Ping was nothing to write home about. Grade 2 Puma kit bat was better in every way.

Do not put Laver and Wood in the same breath as Screaming Cat as lately I have bought 2 Lavers that are dogs.

The price tag on Screaming Cats is high however, Julian does not get it wrong he is very particular when he shapes and chooses your cleft therefore, you get an absolute gem. You can spend a lot more than 400 pounds trying to find a bat that performs like a screaming cat so the purchase price is rather cheap for the way these bats perform. To go out and bat with one of these masterpieces in just a joy as it simply flies off the middle.

I got my third Laver today and that bat is stunning brilliant bat it is! I will be posting review of my Lavers on this forum in few days. I have only used the Legend yet, it is not the greatest bat in terms of ping but I love the shape and feel of the bat. The handle is brilliant too!

Screaming Cat has always been a brand I want to own, I have seen videos of Julian and his art is truly amazing I would say.

Do you have pictures of your SCAT some where? I remember seeing them but can find them anymore...

I have used one in the nets to face an over (v possessive guy who bought it and wouldn't let me use any longer lol ). This was in the pre-season nets last year.

To be fair it was nothing extra special. pickup was good but ping was nothing like my SS (grade 2 EW) at the time. The bat had an excellent finish and looked like extra love had gone into making it.

But still doesn't justify the price tag for me. Rather get 2-3 good quality bats for that price.

I would say they weren't fully opened..

I have used two.

They have a very outdated shape, small edges, heavy-ish pick up.
Ping was nothing to write home about. Grade 2 Puma kit bat was better in every way.

The shape for instance Series 3 is very good looking, if you see the sweetspot is throughout the face.

Pickup well its a low middle bat...

Julian Millichamp has made bats for some of the best batsmen in the world. Adam Gilchrist wouldnt use any other bat except his, or so i have been told. he is one of the, if not the best in the business. many regard him as the best batmaker in the world. he makes a mean bat, but they arent cheap.

to say his shapes are outdated is ridiculous, his shapes are known to perform, so why change them. nothing wrong with thin edges.

Spot on 100 not out bhai!

I'm a strong believer of the fact that thick edges aren't everything and from what I have used a thin edge bat have got better for me than thick bat

Julian Millichamp has made bats for some of the best batsmen in the world. Adam Gilchrist wouldnt use any other bat except his, or so i have been told. he is one of the, if not the best in the business. many regard him as the best batmaker in the world. he makes a mean bat, but they arent cheap.

to say his shapes are outdated is ridiculous, his shapes are known to perform, so why change them. nothing wrong with thin edges.

Mate your spot on. Big edges is usually because the bat is heavily concaved and some of the traditional shapes or English style bats go as hard if not harder than the modern style bats.

Just because the bat has big edges does not mean it will perform.

Still waiting on the stickers so be patient and I will get them and how is the SCAT going as there is plenty of life and runs left in that bat??

Also in big edges bat sweetspot is limited as it is wider while in thin edges it is long and runs throughout the face I'd say;

Mate your spot on. Big edges is usually because the bat is heavily concaved and some of the traditional shapes or English style bats go as hard if not harder than the modern style bats.

Just because the bat has big edges does not mean it will perform.

Still waiting on the stickers so be patient and I will get them and how is the SCAT going as there is plenty of life and runs left in that bat??

Cheers John

Have all the scats you have had been as good as each other, or were some better than others.

i havent had a long hit with the scat as yet, but i think im experienced enough to know a performing bat, and that is one indeed. (i am trying a few things with the handle, it just need to played around with, i am probably the fussiest person when it comes to bat handles . . .trial and error). . . .brilliant pick up for a 2lb 10oz bat. but i reckon a series 1 would suit me better. . . .im not complaining though. . .happy as larry with it.

Cheers John

Have all the scats you have had been as good as each other, or were some better than others.

i havent had a long hit with the scat as yet, but i think im experienced enough to know a performing bat, and that is one indeed. (i am trying a few things with the handle, it just need to played around with, i am probably the fussiest person when it comes to bat handles . . .trial and error). . . .brilliant pick up for a 2lb 10oz bat. but i reckon a series 1 would suit me better. . . .im not complaining though. . .happy as larry with it.

All are around the same mark but of course being a natural product they can also differ. But Julian test them for performance.

Just saw the pictures and it is certainly not an Iridium, I agree not doubting SCAT anymore :D

Yeh but it had some heartwood on it, so surely it couldn't have been G1? Also does Julian pick the best looking or best performing bats for the G1 title?

Julian is man of 7-11 grains and he choose the performing ones, his bat certainly aren't the best looking out there.

Acha really, on watch list now :D

Don't know why he didn't use Calibre stickers, he was using Calibre softs though..:20:

I love those gloves, the yellow ones right. They are soo cool. But Puma softs are really expensive.

Yes, those rellow,blueish ones.

Trust me they are very expensive but worth every single penny!

Out of three Kinetic, Calibre and Iridium I'd take Iridium gloves I get best feel in those.

Yes, Iridium gloves are Blue/White/Orange ones, Kinetic are Red/Yellow etc etc and Calibre are Yellow/Green/Blue etc.

Maroon pads are very very good but in terms of weight and everything I would say 2011 Puma FXT pads are better because they are lighter, fit better etc

Alhamdulilah good to hear you like them.

Update us when you get THE SCAT :)). Jazakallahkhair.

Jullians factory is like an hour and a half drive from my place. He is a very reputed bat maker and many international players get bats done from him when they are visiting Aus. I haven't seen/used a screeming cat and most of my club mates go for GN or Kook. you can buy Scats from his website. He also allows factory visits and you can see your bat being made.

I Hope to get a Screeming cat one day

I havent seen any. Not with my team mates as well as opponents. As i said most of them use GN,GM or Kook. I think overall there is ignorance about cricket gear and not many know of Jullian. At some of the prices they pay for a GN/Kook, they can get a SC.

They are all more expensive than a SC.

GM Limited Edition: $745 AUD - £485 GBP
GN Legend: $799 AUD - £520 GBP
Kook (Beast, Kahuna, Ice, Blade) Players: $745 AUD - £485 GBP

As you can see, everything over here is alot more expensive than in the UK. I have often wondered why this is, but I've come to the conclusion that different markets have different prices. We also pay more for electronic goods and games, as we have a smaller population compared to the US and the UK, so less unit will sell, so the price needs to be higher to cover that difference in the population.

So they are all more expensive than a SC, but people don't seem to know much about custom companies, and would rather just buy off the shelf than look like a gear nerd. I often tell people about custom stuff and they just call me 'hardout' and stuff like that. But when you look at it, they are paying more and getting less, so it's more a case of me being smart and knowing what's out there.

The only advantage of buying off the shelf is that you can actually hold the bat and can tell if it pick's up nicely.

Last edited:
@Langer17...thats true m8... i dont think they spend too much time on choosing/researching their gear...most of em stick to rebel sports or cricket centre stores. there are some smaller retailers as well, but their pricing is somewhat similar to the other two mentioned above..

They are all more expensive than a SC.

GM Limited Edition: $745 AUD - £485 GBP
GN Legend: $799 AUD - £520 GBP
Kook (Beast, Kahuna, Ice, Blade) Players: $745 AUD - £485 GBP

As you can see, everything over here is alot more expensive than in the UK. I have often wondered why this is, but I've come to the conclusion that different markets have different prices. We also pay more for electronic goods and games, as we have a smaller population compared to the US and the UK, so less unit will sell, so the price needs to be higher to cover that difference in the population.

So they are all more expensive than a SC, but people don't seem to know much about custom companies, and would rather just buy off the shelf than look like a gear nerd. I often tell people about custom stuff and they just call me 'hardout' and stuff like that. But when you look at it, they are paying more and getting less, so it's more a case of me being smart and knowing what's out there.

The only advantage of buying off the shelf is that you can actually hold the bat and can tell if it pick's up nicely.

Welcome to PP mate, I hope you enjoy your stay here!

Thanks for the prices :)

It does make sense indeed :)

As far people knowing custom brand is concerned to be honest the main reason behind this is marketing of big brands. I started to play cricket in 2009 June so when I began playing all of the brands I knew where the ones I saw on TV used by players like Gunn & Moore, Gray Nicolls, Kookaburra, CA, SS, MB Malik etc while I had no clue of likes of Laver & Wood, Millichamp & Hall, Screaming Cat, Newbery, Salix and other smaller and custom brands.

So many people who after what players use, when I wasn't into cricket equipments I didn't knew the there were grades in English Willow and thought players are using same as the one available in stores. So marketing plays very very big role here.

These custom companies are smaller hence there budget is tight, they can't afford to sponsor a player, if they have like 20 players in international arena then I'm sure they will have as big name as GM, GN, Kook etc

Back