"Shaheen Shah Afridi led from the front and he will only get better in the future" : Harry Brook

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
"Shaheen Shah Afridi led from the front and he will only get better in the future" : Harry Brook

Harry Brook was a name that many in Pakistan may not have heard of when the 7th edition of the Pakistan Super League (PSL) kicked off in Karachi on 27th January. However, by the time the final ball of Lahore Qalandars innings was bowled in the final against Multan Sultans on 27th February, the city of Lahore and indeed the world had taken notice of the tremendous batting talent of the 22-year-old Yorkshireman.

Tk8GIaY.png

Reflecting on his debut season in the PSL in an exclusive interview with PakPassion.net, Brook explained how despite strict restrictions imposed by the presence of COVID-19, he still managed to enjoy his stay in Pakistan.

“The Pakistan trip was all good fun. Obviously, our movement was restricted, and we were in a fairly strict bubble, so we couldn’t do much else except to train and play games. We were mostly in our hotels which was a bit frustrating but all in all, it was a good trip for me. I had a few overseas lads with me, so I spent quite a bit of time with them playing table tennis and board games and had a good time and to top it all we won the tournament which was quality. All in all, the lads were really good and welcoming, and I really couldn’t have asked for a better team environment.”

Given his inexperience in the role, Pakistan’s premier fast-bowler Shaheen Shah Afridi’s appointment as captain of the Lahore franchise had initially raised some eyebrows. The young pacer, however, had other ideas as he proceeded to lead his side to their first ever PSL title and also confirmed his class by becoming the top wicket-taker in the competition with 20 wickets. For Brook, playing under the young captain was an interesting experience, made more memorable by Shaheen’s passion to succeed.

“It was great playing under Shaheen’s captaincy, made more enjoyable by the fact that he is very passionate about the game. I felt that he led the side very well and all he wanted to do was to win which is a great trait in a captain. He is a world-class fast bowler and to play alongside players like that was a really good experience for me. In my view, he continued to make better decisions as the tournament went on, but the most important aspect of his captaincy was that he led from the front, and I do feel that he will only get better in the future.”

5BIAnOW.png

The attraction of playing in T20 Leagues for younger players lies in the opportunities to improve by playing alongside some of the top names in world cricket and this is why for Brook, participation in PSL was an experience he will cherish for some time to come.

“To play alongside some of the best players in the world was simply awesome, and in that sense having Rashid Khan in our line-up was an unbelievable experience. I only played a few games alongside him, but we all know that he is an absolute class player and does well in every competition he plays in. Fakhar Zaman was incredible in the way he batted in PSL 7 to win the Batter of the Tournament award and then there was Haris Rauf. He bowled absolute thunderbolts throughout the tournament, and we are really looking forward to having him here in Yorkshire later this year. I did have the distinct pleasure of facing him in the nets once, and let me tell you, it wasn’t much fun at all!”

Throughout the 7-year history of the competition, overseas cricketers have praised the quality of PSL and Harry Brook expressed similar sentiments about the tournament which has grown in stature since its inception in 2015.

“The standard of cricket in the PSL is just unbelievable. Every team seems to have at least one top-quality fast-bowler and an equally good spinner so coming in as a batter, is a bit of a challenge. The pitches were a little skiddy and had low bounce, so you had to play a lot on the front foot which probably wasn’t that appealing when you had balls being bowled at 145kph. Overall, the standard of cricket was phenomenal, and it was a good experience for me.”

3AkDqC1.png

With 264 runs in 10 games, scored at an average of 52.80 and a strike rate of 171.42, Harry Brook demonstrated the enormous talent at his disposal during PSL 7 and was one of the key contributors to Lahore Qalandars’ title win and as has he explained, the secret behind his success as a batter was simple.

“My aim is always to hit the ball hard and find the gaps, but most importantly is to reduce the number of dot balls to a minimum. As far as boundaries are concerned, they come naturally the longer you stay at the wicket. This is my natural style of play where I dislike playing dot balls and like to rotate the strike. I also know that I am good enough to hit boundaries in areas where the bowlers don’t want me to which I feel is a big strength of mine”

Full houses in the Lahore leg of PSL 7 became a huge talking point as the tournament progressed. The deafening noise added to the atmosphere of the games and is something which Brook will take back as an abiding memory of his time in Pakistan.

“The crowd in Lahore was probably the best crowd I had ever played in front of in my career. There was non-stop noise and cheering and the trumpets were blowing loudly, much louder than what you get back home.”

ekjoCTV.png

Lahore Qalandars struggles in PSL over the past editions of the tournament had been subject of intense debate and the initial signs in this year’s edition did not look that promising but a series of brilliant performances saw them advance to the Playoffs and make their way to the final where they beat the formidable looking Multan Sultans by 42 runs. Harry Brook’s 41 not out of 22 balls in the final played a pivotal role in Lahore’s success and was clearly an innings he enjoyed.

“Winning the tournament was absolutely awesome. We know that the lads have been working towards this goal for 7 years and for me to come in and contribute to achieving this milestone was a great feeling. In the final, I was just given a free hand to play the way I wanted to and whilst we weren’t hitting the ball that well in the beginning, we did manage to get a respectable total in the end. Our aim was to get to the 160-165 mark but when we got to 180/5, we felt confident enough to feel that we could restrict Multan Sultans, especially given the bowlers we had.”

Brook has played just one international game for England, but the young batter is taking one step at a time and looking to do what he does best, which is to score as many runs as he can without worrying about future international opportunities.

“I take every game as it comes at the moment and just try and enjoy my cricket as much as possible. I don’t think too far ahead but obviously I want to play more cricket for England, whether its Tests, ODIs or T20Is. But I can only do that if concentrate and score more runs for whichever team I am representing at the moment and that’s exactly the plan.”

Excellent write up.

Harry is another cricketing talent that was Yorkshire born and bred. There’s something in t’water round ‘ere. :boycott

He will be a star for England.

I must admit I didn't know too much about this lad before the PSL, but he was very impressive during the PSL.

His range of shots is exceptional.

Looks a fantastic talent and it's good to see that he enjoyed the PSL.

Another destined to graduate to IPL like Tim David.

There were 3 hyped bowlers from U 19 3 years ago. Only Shaheen became a real champion bowler.

Mavi and Nagarkoti cannot even get a consistent place in their IPL teams.

Harry is the ideal replacement for Morgan in the middle-order.

Harry is the ideal replacement for Morgan in the middle-order.

I’m wondering how much longer Eoin has left in the side. Can’t be longer than a year or two.

I’m wondering how much longer Eoin has left in the side. Can’t be longer than a year or two.

I’m certain that he will walk away after the 2023 World Cup.

Yorkshire Lad was impressive in his first PSL.

Seems like someone with a good head on his shoulders. The future is his.

Lets see how he kicks on after PSL stint. I would hope he will take a lot of experience with him.

Also him being around for Haris in Yorkshire will be a massive help I'm sure.

Aaqib Javed in an interview:

“Shaheen has natural leadership talent and this is something we figured out two years ago. This is why we promoted him as vice-captain. I personally don’t think that age has any factor when it comes to leadership"

“For a captain, it is important to be committed and honest; these two things are present in Shaheen in abundance. When we went to meet Imran Khan, I told him that Shaheen reminded me of his traits and I said that he will make us all proud"

For Shaheen to become captain of Pakistan: "I am waiting for that time and the time will come soon"

Harry Brook admitted his delight at starting the season with a century as Yorkshire put themselves in a commanding position after two days against Gloucestershire at the Seat Unique Stadium, Bristol.

Brook has had a winter filled with T20 commitments across the globe, including making his England senior debut in Barbados in late January.

A Pakistan Super League winner and centurion with Lahore Qalandars last month, the 23-year-old has slipped seamlessly back into four-day cricket.

His fifth first-class century – 101 – helped Yorkshire to 334-8 and a first-innings lead of 107 at the halfway stage of this LV= Insurance County Championship opener.

“I think we bowled very well yesterday,” said the Burley-in-Wharfedale man.

“After they had a decent partnership, to bowl them out for 227 was a really good effort when they were about 150-3.

“Then, to be able to back it up today was really good.”

Brook wasn’t without fortune on the way to three figures. He was nearly run out on 18 when in partnership with Harry Duke before being dropped on 99.

When reflecting on both moments, he said with a smile: “I was timing it well until I got to 99 and then didn’t time one for five overs!

“I know that Dukey’s a bit frantic between the wickets, so you have to be on your toes. He’s a young lad, so it’s fine.

“Dukey (34) batted lovely. He always looks good and did a good job today.”

On his own innings, which will bring inevitable speculation about a summer Test debut, he continued: “It’s really nice to get the ball rolling first game.

“I’m not to trying to think about that at all (England). I’m just trying to score as many runs as I can for Yorkshire and see how far we can get.”

And on the state of the game, he added: “It’s a good pitch, but there’s still quite a bit in it for the bowlers. There’s a little bit of bounce and seam with the new ball. If we get the ball in the right areas, we’re definitely in the game.”

https://yorkshireccc.com/news/view/9815/brook-delighted-to-start-season-with-a-century

Brook speaking in presser:

"Obviously I played quite a bit here, trained a lot [here], I know that wickets here tend to be low and skiddy so I feel I can play on the front foot a bit, obviously I had some of the best bowlers in the world in my team - Shaheen and Haris - so tried to learn of them boys.. and how to score runs, obviously learning from Fakhar Zaman as well.. try and figure out how to scores in Pakistan"

Brook speaking in presser:

"Obviously I played quite a bit here, trained a lot [here], I know that wickets here tend to be low and skiddy so I feel I can play on the front foot a bit, obviously I had some of the best bowlers in the world in my team - Shaheen and Haris - so tried to learn of them boys.. and how to score runs, obviously learning from Fakhar Zaman as well.. try and figure out how to scores in Pakistan"

Some good praise from Brook for SSA and HR.

Am sure LQ will be pleased :D

Every corner of England, you shake a tree and your Butlers and Harry Brooks will fall off. Thank KP and Morgan for inspiring multiple generations of 360 players

Back