Short and wide: Pakistani pacers in a nutshell

Suleiman

Test Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
Gone are the days of associating Pakistani fast bowlers with sights of the ball swinging or seaming at pace at times, throwing the batsman in all sorts of trouble.

Okay maybe they still do it at times I just wanted to be a little dramatic, but seriously speaking the 2nd biggest worry we've had in our overseas exploits after the batting is our unthreatening fast bowling.

Someone mentioned this earlier, that we are one of the worst sides atm in being able to exploit seamer friendly conditions. And I'm not talking about the match situation atm since the pitch is kind of flat now. But even SL who are now seen as psuedo-minnows are better at it than us.

But you switch on to the television and watch our pacers bowl and you will see them struggle with their compulsive addiction of bowling short and wide filth after trying to build some sort of pressure earlier in the over and releasing all of it.

This was very frustrating to watch in the England series where Cook happily padded his stats being fed this short/wide nonsense from Amir, Wabster, Sohail, Rahat.

It is happening again. 1st innings an out of form Taylor pretty much made the bulk of his 37 runs in this fashion, just swinging his bat at anything short/wide at a SR of 117.

The funny thing is after they bowl this trash they have a puzzled look on their faces, noted this with Sohail and Amir esp in the 1st innings. Like what did you expect would happen lol?

Think our batsmen will come good on the Australian highways, but worried about our bowlers as guys like Warner have made their career punishing anything short/wide on aussie toll roads.

oh and ofc Wab's no balls.

Pure tukka bowler this chap. Gets carried away a lot in recent times. Too much jazba and junoon I guess to get the batsman out. :wahab #wabbygonewild

People need to relax, we didn't play the practice games to acclimatize and the earthquake ruined everything. These lot are humans too you know.

People need to relax, we didn't play the practice games to acclimatize and the earthquake ruined everything. These lot are humans too you know.

Paid very highly from Tax Payer money and are representing us (i.e. PAKISTAN) at the highest level. If they can't do it, we might as well find someone who's willing to !!!

You know why as a nation we are failing behind and other are excelling, because of this very attitude !!

DO THE JOB THAT YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO DO !! - IN A WORLD OF PROFESSIONALISM THERE SHOULD'NT BE ANY EXCUSES !!

Last edited by a moderator:

come on, enough with the earth quake thing.

This is the second test. Fine for the first test you could use the lack of practise game excuse and all, but what excuse do they have for the second game?

Our batsmen haven't crossed the score in 3 innings.

Terrible sight for someone who has grown up watching Wasim , Waqar and Shoaib!

Terrible sight for someone who has grown up watching Wasim , Waqar and Shoaib!

It's depressing on how much our pace legacy has spiraled into this mess !! Man what would I give to even have Wasim and Waqar of the late 90s right about now !!

Paid very highly from Tax Payer money and are representing us (i.e. PAKISTAN) at the highest level. If they can't do it, we might as well find someone who's willing to !!!

You know why as a nation we are failing behind and other are excelling, because of this very attitude !!

DO THE JOB THAT YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO DO !! - IN A WORLD OF PROFESSIONALISM THERE SHOULD'NT BE ANY EXCUSES !!

I never agreed with a lethargic attitude to cricket. I'm annoyed with the forthcoming loss but really and truly Azhar is not captaincy material. Why on earth would you drop Yasir when the pitch would offer assistance later on in the game.

come on, enough with the earth quake thing.

This is the second test. Fine for the first test you could use the lack of practise game excuse and all, but what excuse do they have for the second game?

Our batsmen haven't crossed the score in 3 innings.

It is really the batsmen's fault but honestly speaking the reason why we did really well in England was due to early preparation and the main focus being on acclimatization. This is just my opinion but I think the constant rainfall may have impacted our batsmen's momentum and concentration, they're not good at picking up where they left off.

Really , a streak of mediocre bowlers. Not one good fast bowler in the radar at the moment.

Pakistani fast bowling excellence is now a chapter of history.

They haven't bowl that bad especially amir 1st spell and wahab second were great.

They've bowled awful. Aamir had a few good balls but largely wasted the new ball by bowling short and wide. The first few overs look good on paper with maiden after maiden but in reality it was too wide to bother the batsmen and they cashed in when the ball got soft.

oh and ofc Wab's no balls.

Pure tukka bowler this chap. Gets carried away a lot in recent times. Too much jazba and junoon I guess to get the batsman out. :wahab #wabbygonewild

I think we need to start imposing temporary bans for bowlers like Wahab who consistently lose wickets by overstepping. A three game ban would give them some time to practice their run up. In any case, the best bowler in this match has been Imran Khan simply because he displayed some control and ability to hit the seam. These guys are better in these conditions than wild bowlers who can't control their run up or the direction of their bowling.

Maybe a reduction of $100 per no ball in their match fees

Last edited:
An out of form Taylor scoring a ton vs us tells a tale.

Before this series I said he will score at least one big innings vs us. Few people said no he's past it or whatever.

But i knew this guy fancies playing us, and he cashed in and extended his career for few more years.

Back