Should Babar Azam be an all-format opener?

mominsaigol

Test Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
Babar in recent times has been a topic of Hot debate, However their is an interesting fact I wish to bring up

During Babar Azam's under 19 Days

He was primarily used as an opener. He and sami aslam back in 2012 would open together, and the pair at the time achieved success, What's interesting to note is that Imam ul Haq was in the same team and would bat at no 3 rather then open.

During his early years when headlines were made, alot of people assumed he'd enter the team at the opening slot rather the no 4 slot he was initially given.

2018 Pakistan T20 Team

In 2018 Pakistan was ranked no 1 in t20 even managing to defeat peak Australia in the aussie, Zimbabwe tri series. Babar and Fakhar use to be our most succesful opening pair with fakhar zaman playing the X factor role while he was on song( his best 91 of 46 innings ensuring Australia's defeat in the final) and babar mostly batting through often getting match winning 70's and ensuring a collapse doesn't occur

Now that Imam ul Haq has been dropped from the test squad and if all sense prevails he gets dropped from the odi squad, I don't think it's inherently a bad idea to have Babar be an allformat opener alongside Fakhar Zaman.

Arguments favouring Babar to open

1) These 2 were our most succesful pair back in 2018, and I trust babar at opening more then Imam, Abdullah(Still back him), Hurraira, Saim etc.

I don't think it's a bad option if he's paired with Fakhar in odi and t20 and it would free up some space in the middle order where players like saud can actually develop.

2) Another reason to have him open is that Babar struggles against spin and if he comes at 3 or 4(in test) when the spinners are on, he might struggle off the bat. Opening and playing 10+ overs of pace could help him get back in form as he'd have the confidence of remaining at the crease for multiple overs before encountering spin.

3) Lastly it would take pressure off ove him on being a star batsmen for pakistan and having all eyes be on him, if he's allowed to play his natural game( just opening, no captaincy, no expectation of him being our best batter at no 3), he could improve and be more free flow in general.

Arguments against Babar opening

1) It could block pathways for upcoming youngsters such as Abdullah or Saim or Hurraira .

2) In t20 he's frowned upon as an opener although personally i believe it's because he's batting with an unsuited partner, Fakhar zaman worked due to one being aggressive and the other being free flow who could bat for 20 overs, while rizwan is just a discounted legsode version who doesn't gell well with Bobby.

3) It could backfire. He's been batting at no 3 in odi and no 4 in test for years, So might be difficult to adjust right off the bat and would be a backtrack going back to his under 19 days.

Anyway tell me your thoughts, I personally feel that if the upcoming openers include the likes of Hasebullah, then I'd rather just have babar and fakhar open for ct 2025 and wc 2027 and go back to the integral core that had us maintain the no 1 rank in 2018 in the first place.

Because he is already settled at no. 3 and no. 4 in ODIs and Tests respectively. If you are not a fool you will not axe your own foot by dislocating your best batter in these two formats.
Right, because Pakistan was clearly walking steady in wc 2023 or when they were beaten black and blue in aussie test series.

Still doesn't overthrow the fact that Babar is your best batter in these two formats.
Fakhar Zaman is your best batter in odi format.

It's you guys think soft scores are more valuable in cricket.

In 2023 fakhar has 4 extremly impactful 100's, 3 of them being back to back, and one of them being the best 100 in a world cup for a pakistani. This doesn't even begin to constitute his performance since 2017 which I haven't mentioned.

In the world cup alone both rizwan and Abdullah the debutant have outshined him.

In 2023 and 2024 test he got outperformed by Abdullah, Agha and Saud in Sri Lanka, outperformed by Rizwan in Australia and even Shan did better.

Infact overseas he's been averaging 23 for a while now for a couple of years.

In 2022 he was the worst opener of the tournament in both Asia cup and world cup, in 2024 he did better only average wise then the rest but remains the worst opener of the tournament but he top scored because openers just have an unfair advantage in t20 category

^^ From all of this, Where do you see him as the best? Seriously you guys throw the word best around because he's consistently been a tail ender in tournament but in tours he consistently scores the most 30 of 50 balls and that constitutes him as the best batsmen?

Because frankly all I see him as is a pindi basher who can fucntion against Nepal bowling on a curated pitch to avoid lamichane spin.

Again please answer this, as everyone else chooses to run away and not respond when I bring this up

Reminder to everyone, Apparently most consistent(Which babar hasn't even been for 2 years) is apparently the best. What a twisted troll logic.

No wonder you guys think Misbah > Inzimam lol

Bro how you will justify Babar's inclusion in T20 squad?
People do not find middle ground with Babar.

His haters think he's a no 11 crapola batsmen and his supporters think he's the best thing to ever happen to pakistan is our best test and odi batsmen, Because apparently scoring misbah level 40's makes you the best Hahaha.

However the truth is the middle ground. And the middle ground is that Babar is an accumulative batsmen and as an accumulative batter he is far far superior to the current crop of openers like Hurraira.

During 2018, he and fakhar were the 2 biggest reasons as to why we were ranked no 1, They complimented each other extremly well ans had Babar been opening instead of Imam, Pakistan would have been in safer hands.

It's just ever since rizwan came into the mix everything has been screwed up. Rizwan coming In means, Babar has to play aggressive rather then relying on Fakhar, Haris sohail, Hafeez and Malik to do so, which is not his natural game.

When he's batting through he knows how to bat through and get decent totals while others bat around him.

Still doesn't overthrow the fact that Babar is your best batter in these two formats.
He is the best in only one format which is ODI. In Test and T20 cricket he is overrated, not because of his stats but because of his playing style which doesnt support Pak to win games.

He needs to be dropped from all formats, we do not need egoistic players promoting power-hungry toxic politics in the team...

Also he is not a match winner so we can easily get rid of him...

We lose with him, we can lose without him... Who knows, we might even start winning...

He is the best in only one format which is ODI. In Test and T20 cricket he is overrated, not because of his stats but because of his playing style which doesnt support Pak to win games.
Fakhar zaman is the best in odi, not babar.

Babar is more consistent which means zilch, unless you folkes believe misbah > Inzi in odi

Fakhar zaman is the best in odi, not babar.

Babar is more consistent which means zilch, unless you folkes believe misbah > Inzi in odi
Indeed, Fakhar is also one of the best in ODIs but the only reason I m placing him under Babar is because of his inconsistency.

Indeed, Fakhar is also one of the best in ODIs but the only reason I m placing him under Babar is because of his inconsistency.
It doesn't matter. Babar has been less consistent then Rizwan in odi in recent times so by this logic your ranking shpuld be

1) Rizwan
2) Abdullah
3) Babar
4) Agha
5) Imam
6) Saud
7) Fakhar

^^ Based of this their are 6 pakistani batsmen that are superior to Fakhar in odi including Imam. See how silly that sounds?

Being more consistent never enables you to be the best. Misbah use to be the most consistent batsmen for pakistan yet no one in their right mind (Again key word Right mind) would claim Misbah is even top 20 batsmen for pakistan.

Theirs a reason this bozo couldn't fit into the team in 2000's and was told by Younis Khan to buzz off in the 2009 final. You know back when pakistan was free from nepotism and players actually made the squad on pure merit?

Only in Test and ODI.

Not in T20. I think Babar shouldn't play T20 (just like England decided to not play Root in T20).

Only in Test and ODI.

Not in T20. I think Babar shouldn't play T20 (just like England decided to not play Root in T20).
Honestly I'm fine with Babar opening in all formats, however as long as he's paired with fakhar in whiteball in both odi and t20.

He needs to be removed from the team full stop

Although I do believe that in terms of talent and skill, Babar is up their with the best in the country- not a high bar tbh. However it has been made abundantly clear that he is quite morally grey as an individual; choosing to prioritise his own personal likings and disliking rather than thinking about the bigger picture. We saw this with his captaincy and we will continue to see it even if he is removed as captain.

The issue with Babar even in the team without any positions of power is the sway he holds over his cult. Unfortunately even though it is a minority, it is a very vocal one of that and as such any captain, coach or chairman will be under tremendous pressure to create a team inclined to Babar's liking which will always be detrimental to Pakistan cricket

Anyway we do have enough talented openers in the wings as well as those with experience. Fakhar, Sharjeel, Shan and Abdullah have decent enough international experience and the former 3 can be seen as temporary solutions as we groom the next generation. Than we have guys like Saim, Omair, Nafay and others who have the talent to be even better than Babar, all that is needed is time and experience.

Perhaps even some like Saud or Saifi can be promoted to openers in the LOI team. Advantage of Saud is he is easily our technically best batsmen and has a much more versatile game than Babar. Saifi should have been an opener post the 2015 world cup and even though age is not on his side, I can guarantee that if partnered with someone like Fakhar or Sharjeel, he can complement them beautifully and develop a partnership similar to De Kock and Amla

He needs to be removed from the team full stop

Although I do believe that in terms of talent and skill, Babar is up their with the best in the country- not a high bar tbh. However it has been made abundantly clear that he is quite morally grey as an individual; choosing to prioritise his own personal likings and disliking rather than thinking about the bigger picture. We saw this with his captaincy and we will continue to see it even if he is removed as captain.

The issue with Babar even in the team without any positions of power is the sway he holds over his cult. Unfortunately even though it is a minority, it is a very vocal one of that and as such any captain, coach or chairman will be under tremendous pressure to create a team inclined to Babar's liking which will always be detrimental to Pakistan cricket

Anyway we do have enough talented openers in the wings as well as those with experience. Fakhar, Sharjeel, Shan and Abdullah have decent enough international experience and the former 3 can be seen as temporary solutions as we groom the next generation. Than we have guys like Saim, Omair, Nafay and others who have the talent to be even better than Babar, all that is needed is time and experience.

Perhaps even some like Saud or Saifi can be promoted to openers in the LOI team. Advantage of Saud is he is easily our technically best batsmen and has a much more versatile game than Babar. Saifi should have been an opener post the 2015 world cup and even though age is not on his side, I can guarantee that if partnered with someone like Fakhar or Sharjeel, he can complement them beautifully and develop a partnership similar to De Kock and Amla
Saud should bat at no 4 in odi and open in t20 with fakhar.

If you need a no 4 in odi and an opener in t20, you can choose him, ge actually does his best to finish games and vet the job done for his team

Back