Should Mohammad Sami have played more Tests?

Faiz

Debutant
Runs
I believe yes. He should be playing he would be lethal in NZ, SA, Eng and Aus's conditions he is a strike bowler.

When I first saw him bowling I couldn't believe how good he was. Big inswinging yorkers and great pace.

Sadly though eventually he couldn't bowl 2 deliveries in the same spot.

Wasted talent.

Seriously ?
Why does he average 50+ in tests if he's such a strike bowler. Move on.

He wasted his opportunities. He had the talent and should had worked hard, which he clearly didn't.

Rahat Ali will also end up like him if he doesn't work on himself.

Test, not sure, but may be. ODI - DEFINITELY.

I watched most of Sami's career live - 2 things went wrong for him.

1. His debut was just after the Test Wasim Akram was ousted from PAK Captaincy, probably for 5th time & since then PAK been led by some of the most defensive & unimaginative Captains; even Coach (Bob was ultra defensive Coach, I can explain, but not here). Those management used him as a stock bowler, when he should have been used for 15 overs in a day - absolute flat out. In ODI, he was used even worse - ideally, he should have been used for 433 short bust with 7 overs inside first 35; to knock couple of top/middle orders; he was pathetically used as a container, which will never work. I am sure, had Sami played under Captains like Imran or Akram, his career stats would have been totally different.

2. Sami had everything - pace, late swing in both ways, swinging yorkers, conventional out-swing with new ball, reverse with old one, awkward stiff bouncers, slower ball - more or less almost everything that a fast bowler needs to be world class. When I see current PAK bowlers with new ball, I just wonder how good Sami was a fast bowler to use the new Red ball. Besides, he was extremely fit, could bat a bit & was a very good fielder of PAK standard.

Unfortunately, at 20 (OK, 23, not more than that) Sami won a Test on debut - then he didn't follow-up with what has made PAK cricket. After that Auckland Test, he should have joined any County, even for a partial season - 2/3 years in that pro-set up with world class coaching staff & mentors; he could have been twice the bowler he was.

How can someone even think this? Were 38 tests not enough for a 50+ average with the ball? He shouldn't even have played 20.

He has great skill and talent.

He's a superior version of Rahat Ali, but sadly poor man's Rahat when it comes to sticking to one line/length.

Test, not sure, but may be. ODI - DEFINITELY.

I watched most of Sami's career live - 2 things went wrong for him.

1. His debut was just after the Test Wasim Akram was ousted from PAK Captaincy, probably for 5th time & since then PAK been led by some of the most defensive & unimaginative Captains; even Coach (Bob was ultra defensive Coach, I can explain, but not here). Those management used him as a stock bowler, when he should have been used for 15 overs in a day - absolute flat out. In ODI, he was used even worse - ideally, he should have been used for 433 short bust with 7 overs inside first 35; to knock couple of top/middle orders; he was pathetically used as a container, which will never work. I am sure, had Sami played under Captains like Imran or Akram, his career stats would have been totally different.

2. Sami had everything - pace, late swing in both ways, swinging yorkers, conventional out-swing with new ball, reverse with old one, awkward stiff bouncers, slower ball - more or less almost everything that a fast bowler needs to be world class. When I see current PAK bowlers with new ball, I just wonder how good Sami was a fast bowler to use the new Red ball. Besides, he was extremely fit, could bat a bit & was a very good fielder of PAK standard.

Unfortunately, at 20 (OK, 23, not more than that) Sami won a Test on debut - then he didn't follow-up with what has made PAK cricket. After that Auckland Test, he should have joined any County, even for a partial season - 2/3 years in that pro-set up with world class coaching staff & mentors; he could have been twice the bowler he was.

thanks..u sorted out my cofusion..i couldnt beleive that y did such a good bowler didnt do well...

He played 15-20 test too many

I mean 30 odd tests for someone avging 50 with the ball is a lot of chances tbh

no, but definitely more ODIs

he would've still be the best ODI bowler in the current team

He got enough chances but never really improved. Should be nowhere near the team now, his time is gone.

I believe yes. He should be playing he would be lethal in NZ, SA, Eng and Aus's conditions he is a strike bowler.

I have gone into a big debate about this with alot of people (In favor of Sami ofcourse).. consistent 140+ who swings it both ways, has a natural outswinger

But justification for his omission is similar to what is given for someone like Rahat, i.e he leaks too many runs in Test Matches, which shouldn't matter much because on these tracks, you can always induce a mistake from a batsman

A smart captain can still make use of him

Last edited:
I have gone into a big debate about this with alot of people (In favor of Sami ofcourse).. consistent 140+ who swings it both ways, has a natural outswinger

But justification for his omission is similar to what is given for someone like Rahat, i.e he leaks too many runs in Test Matches, which shouldn't matter much because on these tracks, you can always induce a mistake from a batsman

A smart captain can still make use of him

Delusion...

Delusion...

In the same game Amir got 3 wickets vs India in Asia Cup

Sami got a 2'fer and he was swinging it alot more than Wahab and Irfan..

Sami unfortunately got carted around in the final game vs Australia, but that still doesn't ignore the fact that he was very good since his comeback and his top notch performances in the PSL..

Which is why I say again a smart captain like Misbah can still make use of him

Probably was the best Fast bowler of the tournament if I'm not mistaken

I totally agree with [MENTION=79064]MMHS[/MENTION].

He had talents and capabilities to become a world class fast bowler but he was mal handled by Pakistan.

And he himself didn't take care of his talent by working hard.

Spray gun. Was always very inconsistent which is why he would get smacked around most of the time.

Could've been a much better bowler if he had the brains to back up his talent.

no. he played 20 tests too many

tbf Inzi was a captain from hell for him though

i remember he would give him such long spells. like 15 over spells for a fast bowler (145kph+ one too)

Back