Should Shan Masood retain his Test captaincy after back to back series defeats?

Should Shan Masood retain his Test captaincy after back to back series defeats?

• Total voters
I feel sorry for him. It’s not his fault he’s not good enough, he didn’t ask to be captain, if he had refused he wouldn’t make the team. And I think he tries his best. I think the pressure of needing to be extraordinary at captain to make up as a player has made him to make bad decisions, trying to push the boundaries. And you can see his own team don’t respect him and view him as a leader.

He’s just not talented enough. People forget the guy had to massively improve himself even to be good at domestic. When he debuted, he was even not that great at that. International is just a step too far. He has actually worked hard to improve himself, keep himself fit and experiment with various different playing styles.

There are better, more talented players that should be either in the team, playing better if they are already in the team, and of course captaining instead of him. But they have not fulfilled that potential based on a variety of reasons including fitness, poor worth ethic, unwillingness to improve game and worst of all fixing. All things that are very controllable. Even if you argue how talented these guys are, it’s pretty certain that none of them have /are fulfilling their talent however limited it is. Masood isn’t guilty of these things, he’s largely done his best, it’s just his best isn’t good enough.

Even if you look at our team, every player in that team particularly the batsmen have enough talent to at least be average. The only one who doesn’t is Masood himself.

Those talented players are really the guys at fault, and yet we’ll make excuses for them, it’s not their fault that they can’t be bothered to have good fitness or not engage in fixing etc.

Shan Masood’s position is untenable now- you cannot have a non-performing captain who has suffered the worst home defeat a team can ever face. And If PCB is hell bent on giving everybody a chance as a captain, why not Rizwan? Granted he has terrible acting skills- second only to Naib, but he is also one of your consistent run scorers across formats. Besides I do not see too many candidates who can captain the side- Babar is a no-go for obvious reasons, Shaheen has already been dropped & no one else has captaincy experience.

Was very disappointed with Shan's captaincy this series.

However Gillespie has publicly backed him and Masood in his press conference was unphased which means he has been given assurances behind the scenes by the PCB that he will continue in the role. Listening to his press conference was a breath of fresh air, spoke excellent English, with clarity and answered questions honestly. Had gotten sick and tired of listening to paindu Babar's crap for 5 years.

Regardless Shan Masood will definitely have a bright future as a commentator, broadcaster like Bazid Khan once his playing days are over. He has already worked as a pundit for some British tv channels in the UK.
Shan's captaincy was much better in Australia series but in this series it was poor. More than his captaincy he has to score otherwise non-performing captain cannot survive for long.
Babar was worst captain in Pakistan's history, during his time he didn't gave logical answer to even one question. Babar got free ride as a captain despite repeated failures and during his time team's focus was on 3-4 players only *(Babar, Rizwan, Shaheen, Haris Rauf) and 3-4 players were playing because of clear favoritism (specially Iftikhar, Shadab, Nawaz, Imam)

This should be the end of the road for him. Unfortunately I let my dislike of Babar and Rizwan cloud my judgement on Shan. I thought he would have been a breath of fresh air and would have fought against the KP nexus however it is clear that he was another agent of the group

The only option we have is Saifi, not even Saud. Although i like Saud as a player, since his debut he has only featured in the post nexus team therefore I don't think he has the understanding or authority to reconstruct the team and bring us back to the pre 2019 days

Not only does Saifi have to become captain but he must be given full creative control. The one key decision he must make is ensuring Rizwan is out of the team for good. That decision alone will be enough to remove most power away from the KP nexus and bring it back to equilibrium.

We should also revamp the coaching staff. Although Kirsten and Gillespe are excellent coaches, they do not undertsand the regional politics of Pakistan therefore they are nothing but mere figure heads. IMO Sikander Bhatt is the best option for coach with Asad Shafiq or Fawad Alam needing to be their as well in a mentoring role

The logic of selecting your best XI and choosing one of them as captain is what has worked historically.

I have absolute no idea how in the world can someone think that vice versa could work. A 35 yr old with a batting avg of 28.

And I am even more govlbsmacked that even after 5 consecutive losses under this captain, including 2 home losses vs a team like Bangladesh, there are people who support him.

Just amazing

Should Shan Masood retain his Test captaincy after back to back series defeats?​

Should we not hold those accountable for poor administrative decisions that have lead to this disaster?

from players who have played over 10 internationals Masood & ex eng spinner Ian Salisbury are the worst cricketers iv seen in my life.

The rest of thousand’s & thousand international cricketers have at least bought something to the table.

I am with you. He should be dropped and sent back to play county. That is the best he can do.
No.

If I was his father, I'd advise him to use his eco degree to use and fix the financial problems of pcb which he should be capable of doing as he is good in maths and numbers and can allocate funds properly.

Dude got into Durham university which is no small feat, administrative positions.

However I am not his dad, so the only option is to send him to WWE. One match with remain reigns is all it's gonna take.

Ramiz Raja while speaking on his Youtube channel:

“It’s the job of the leader to fight. Agreed he (Shan Masood) is a young captain, agreed the bowling attack was young, but he had picked up this bowling attack.”

“It’s a first class bowling attack not a test cricket bowling attack.”

“He has to answer about his own performance. He is not scoring and the way Bangladesh squeezed, somebody has to be called for explanation, senior players needs to explain.”

“It’s the job of the leader to fight. Agreed he (Shan Masood) is a young captain, agreed the bowling attack was young, but he had picked up this bowling attack.”

“He has to answer about his own performance. He is not scoring and the way Bangladesh squeezed, somebody has to be called for explanation, senior players needs to explain.”
What a hypocrite. You were literally going Babar fan mode a few days ago?

He is playing attacking cricket with defensive batsmen and run limiting bowlers
Usama mir is not played because he leaks roo many runs
Same story with fakhar and shadab

No point in persisting with Shan, need a new leader that could lead from the front.

I would give 1 final chance, if he hadn't scored a 50 should have been gone but he scored more than Babar. if we say his place is in danger then we should be dropping Babar also.
Also, a big issue is the defeats were not really due to captaincy, they are due to our skills vs Bangladesh outperforming.

If changing captain must ensure its a player who deserves his place in XI for next 2 years, not involved in politics, head-stubborn, willing to groom new team, open to dropping seniors, not already tried/failed in the past. So that means Babar, Rizwan, Shaheen are out. Sarfraz is too old now, too late, ship has sailed. Saud seems too meek and also apart from one knock failed. My vote would be Agha Salman, with Saud as vice captain, or give 1 more series to Shan.

Regardless of captaincy, we must debut and play either both or minimally one of Kamran / Hurraira in next series.

I would give 1 final chance, if he hadn't scored a 50 should have been gone but he scored more than Babar. if we say his place is in danger then we should be dropping Babar also.
Also, a big issue is the defeats were not really due to captaincy, they are due to our skills vs Bangladesh outperforming.

If changing captain must ensure its a player who deserves his place in XI for next 2 years, not involved in politics, head-stubborn, willing to groom new team, open to dropping seniors, not already tried/failed in the past. So that means Babar, Rizwan, Shaheen are out. Sarfraz is too old now, too late, ship has sailed. Saud seems too meek and also apart from one knock failed. My vote would be Agha Salman, with Saud as vice captain, or give 1 more series to Shan.

Regardless of captaincy, we must debut and play either both or minimally one of Kamran / Hurraira in next series.

The problem with changing captains so quickly after series defeats is that it leads to factions and captaincy aspirations from the players who will not get behind the leader.

As unacceptable as the defeat to Bangladesh was, the PCB has made it clear to the players that Shan Masood the test captain has their full backing for a while.

What a hypocrite. You were literally going Babar fan mode a few days ago?

When Babar is captain, Ramiz goes on a Babar fan crush rant i.e. a captain is only as good as his players and team, the team is not united, if the bowlers don't bowl well, what can Babar do? If the batters don't score runs, what can Babar do? He has been defending Babar non-stop for 5 years.

However Shan Masood has only been in the job for 2 series and he is already blaming Shan the captain i.e. his field placements, bowling selections, team strategies have been questionable.

Sorry Ramiz, not falling for it.

Yes, Ramiz it's a first class bowling attack but during your esteemed chairmanship Pakistan fielded Faheem Ashraf, Mohammed Ali as frontline pacers against England. Haris Rauf also played at Rawalpindi test. Were those bowlers test match bowlers?
And yes please dare to question senior most player Babar (your Don Bradman) who has played 54 tests so far for his own performance and for captaincy he did in last 5 years. What has he achieved during his 5 years captaincy? Lost matches against Zimbabwe, Afghanistan, Ireland, USA etc.

Shan Masood should be castrated in public for what he did on the final day

Shan Masood should be castrated in public for what he did on the final day
Issues are way bigger than Shaan. This decline is institutional and it's getting worse. The most worrying part is the BD bowlers were quicker and more skilful than any PK bowler. Mehdi is much better than any spinner and Das matched or exceeded our batsman batter in Riz.

Issues are way bigger than Shaan. This decline is institutional and it's getting worse. The most worrying part is the BD bowlers were quicker and more skilful than any PK bowler. Mehdi is much better than any spinner and Das matched or exceeded our batsman batter in Riz.

I agree but Shan epitomises all that is wrong with Pak cricket, on top of the two love birds. These guys need to go, you seriously can’t do any worse and it’s better to start on a clean sheet of paper with guys who play for the flag, each other and give 100%, none of this Star Plus drama none sense.

I agree but Shan epitomises all that is wrong with Pak cricket, on top of the two love birds. These guys need to go, you seriously can’t do any worse and it’s better to start on a clean sheet of paper with guys who play for the flag, each other and give 100%, none of this Star Plus drama none sense.
We say that it can't get any worse but it is and will. We appoint these Foreign coaches and they make no difference, we appoint local guys and they are also just as useless. The reason is that our system is weak, with precious money spent on over aged players at the Junior levels, a domestic system that serves no purpose and when it did begin to develop a purpose, it was scrapped out of political spite and jealousy. We need more grounds, better pitches and a competitive domestic scene. We need talent spotters by the 100s and most importantly a chairman that doesn't treat the board like a play thing handed to him by his grandfather.

When there is a big failure, there are usually wholesale changes. Shan Masood has played his last game for Pakistan. If you were a fan of his, I hope you enjoyed the show. Because it's over. Many others will also likely be cast aside. Hamza Mir, Mohammad Ali, and Khurram Shahzad are all in danger of having their International careers ended here. Saim Ayub will be kicked into the long grass for a good while would be my guess.

Abrar might have been in trouble, but because there is seemingly not one decent spinning alternative in the whole of Pakistan, he will stick around.

Bringing a 37 year old has-been Sarfaraz back is such a terrible idea... that the PCB might just do it.

This should be the end of the road for him. Unfortunately I let my dislike of Babar and Rizwan cloud my judgement on Shan. I thought he would have been a breath of fresh air and would have fought against the KP nexus however it is clear that he was another agent of the group

The only option we have is Saifi, not even Saud. Although i like Saud as a player, since his debut he has only featured in the post nexus team therefore I don't think he has the understanding or authority to reconstruct the team and bring us back to the pre 2019 days

Not only does Saifi have to become captain but he must be given full creative control. The one key decision he must make is ensuring Rizwan is out of the team for good. That decision alone will be enough to remove most power away from the KP nexus and bring it back to equilibrium.

We should also revamp the coaching staff. Although Kirsten and Gillespe are excellent coaches, they do not undertsand the regional politics of Pakistan therefore they are nothing but mere figure heads. IMO Sikander Bhatt is the best option for coach with Asad Shafiq or Fawad Alam needing to be their as well in a mentoring role
Phew I'm glad we have you to fight off the "KP Nexus". Also so glad we can be openly racist like this, don't want that to go away either.

Shan does like to flaunt his English but needs to have some shame too.

Yes, other players are preparing for science and sitting the math exam and failing. But he is repeatedly sitting for the math exam for 10 years and still failing. How to explain that?

ok

We are terrible at cricket at this moment in time..live with it (for the next 10 years) ... captain him, caprain her, captain they ...will not make a difference!

As per reports:

PCB considers replacing Test captain Shan Masood due to poor team performance. Masood's leadership and batting have been criticized after series losses to Australia and Bangladesh.

Despite head coach Jason Gillespie's support, PCB Chairman Mohsin Naqvi may make changes. Mohammad Rizwan is a potential replacement, with strong recent performances.

Masood's record includes five consecutive Test losses, a rare feat among international captains.

Shan shouldn’t be in the team, but removing a captain after a year isn’t going to bring any stability into the team.

As an Indian, I like the defeats of Pak and following knee jerk reactions from the Pak fans badmouthing all their players and asking to change the captain. In fact I bump into each threads just to read and enjoy such comments.. However as a cricket lover I would want to say, this guy is the best one you have got in years to build your team..A captain is not only the one who brings success, but also the one who takes responsibility for team loss and think analytically than doing blame games..I see this in him and feel he is more mature than others in the team..See, Pakistan team is not an easy team to lead. It has a Past Captain, a failed captain, a dumped captain and could have been a captain but not given captaincy. And of all the teams, Pak team is known for groupism and egoistic and selfish players who don't mind underperforming to downgrade the captain..The fans too are emotional. Most reactions from fans are to bring back the old captain like Sarfaraz thinking he can revive back the team..common guys..he is a spent force and these fans forgot how he was trolled before for his performance and have to step down from his captaincy..The need for Pakistan is new team devoid of egoistic players and who respect their captain. Also Fans need to be generous and provide more time to this youngster.. according to me he should be the captain for both ODi and test and he should be given freedom to select his team along with the coach.. grooming players to international level should be prioritised than the results..Patience is more important as results may not be immediate..I never would have given these thoughts for any other players in pak, but I really like this sensible guy..

The Issue is if Shan is replaced and new captain has the same results or worse, than he will be replaced as well, either stick with Shan, of if you choose a new captain stick with him, regardless of the results, and try to build a solid team around him. Its clear Pak Cricket is at its lowest points, results wont change over night, but need to find a way to re-build the team, not worry to much about results, but too see if the team is actually improving and being competitive, eventually the results will come. If you keep changing captains after 2 or 3 bad series results, it wont do the team any good either.

As per reports:

PCB considers replacing Test captain Shan Masood due to poor team performance. Masood's leadership and batting have been criticized after series losses to Australia and Bangladesh.

Despite head coach Jason Gillespie's support, PCB Chairman Mohsin Naqvi may make changes. Mohammad Rizwan is a potential replacement, with strong recent performances.

Masood's record includes five consecutive Test losses, a rare feat among international captains.

It would be a good move if Naqvi takes the initiative because there is no place for Shan Masood in the team with such mediocre performance.

As per some reports, Pakistan coaches Gary Kirsten and Jason Gillespie have requested the Pakistan Cricket Board not to sack skippers in haste and instead give them a longer run to produce results, according to a report in PTI. Some reports emerged a few days back that after a disappointing 2023 ODI World Cup and the T20 World Cup outing in June, Babar Azam is all set to be removed from captaincy.

Babar was sacked from white-ball leadership after the ODI World Cup round-robin exit in India and his replacement Shaheen Shah Afridi was removed after one bad series.

In Tests too, after Babar relinquished the captaincy, Shan Masood replaced him but after losing 10 Tests as captain, there have been calls to remove him as well.

“There has been no discussion on changing the captains as the PCB chairman Mohsin Naqvi has left it up to the two coaches and selectors to decide on the captaincy,”

“And Kirsten and Gillespie are very clear that Shan and Babar both need to be given a proper run before judging their leadership abilities,"

The source added that both Kirsten and Gillespie wanted continuity in leadership and have conveyed this to the Pakistan Cricket Board. Notably, the board is going to conduct a workshop among all stakeholders of Pakistan cricket very soon.

“That workshop is being held to hear the views of all stakeholders, mainly the domestic team coaches, selectors and contracted players so that the board can bridge the gap between domestic cricket and international cricket standards,”

“The workshop is being held because both the coaches want the domestic team coaches to have a clear picture of what is required from them to ensure a flow of players who can be considered for selection for the national teams in all formats,”

The problem with changing captains so quickly after series defeats is that it leads to factions and captaincy aspirations from the players who will not get behind the leader.

As unacceptable as the defeat to Bangladesh was, the PCB has made it clear to the players that Shan Masood the test captain has their full backing for a while.
And that's how it should be.

I get it - it will be an unpopular opinion here but Pak should continue with shan as captain. You can't keep chopping and changing captains all the time. Yes shan is not the best batsman but having given him a chance- Pak should give him a decent amount of time. Especially as players have no interest in test ccricket unlike t20s.

And take out the 3 losses to Aus- better pak teams have been thrashed in Aus. The great wasim akrams team in 99 was one of the best pak teams to tour aus and they got hammered 3-0. So unfair on shan for it. And that was his first tour as captain- the toughest in cricket and in history. Yes the Ban losses was bad but give him a chance to fix it. Atleast 15 tests to decide if he's good. If he then has poor results - drop him for good. But atleast give him a chance. This constant new captain every series like the pak 90s teams will only destabilise and breed insecurity. Give him some rope and then let him swim and survive or sink and die. Also Pak doesn't play as amany tests as before.

His saving grace may be that no-one would want the captaincy right now. There is an inevitable thumping and whitewash by England on the horizon.

So by default he may keep it until the toughest teams are done.

The problem is - Pakistan would start as underdogs vs every single test playing nation right now

As per some reports, Pakistan coaches Gary Kirsten and Jason Gillespie have requested the Pakistan Cricket Board not to sack skippers in haste and instead give them a longer run to produce results, according to a report in PTI.
it means we have to face further humiliation in upcoming Test matches.

PCB has made the worst decision. Masood isn't a automatic choice in the batting line up. Averages only 28 after so many matches. Why you think of picking him.as captain?

His saving grace may be that no-one would want the captaincy right now. There is an inevitable thumping and whitewash by England on the horizon.

So by default he may keep it until the toughest teams are done.

The problem is - Pakistan would start as underdogs vs every single test playing nation right now
Naw rizzu is eyeing it, you will always find a bigger clown to take Masood's mantle

Speaking during a recent media interaction, Younis Khan said:

"Good leadership isn't about speaking perfect English. The focus should be on nurturing talent and making sure players are prepared to compete against strong opponents."

Back