"Sides like Ireland will look at Pakistan and say you have to be better than this because we're coming after you": Nasser Hussain

Asad T

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
In the recent bilateral series, Pakistan was thoroughly mauled by England, losing the first game by 23 runs and the second by 7 wickets. Fortunately for us, two matches were rained out, sparing us further embarrassment.

Even Nasser Hussain, who is usually quite diplomatic, had some harsh words about Pakistan's recent performances in Ireland and England. Reading between the lines, Hussain is essentially saying that our quality of play has deteriorated to the point where even the minnows will fancy their chances against us in the upcoming T20 World Cup.

I've never been so pessimistic about our chances going into a World Cup. Before when we would lose to Ireland or Afghanistan, it felt like a genuine upset. Now it feels almost like the new normal. It's a sad new paradigm for Pakistan cricket.

ZdtMTk1.png

Pakistan's T20i team lacks modern batters, and unfortunately, Usman Khan hasn't proven himself at the international level. Moreover, Mohammad Rizwan and Babar Azam have surprisingly low strike rates, even lower than England's Chris Jordan. I have always believed that Naseem Shah is not suited for T20i cricket, as he seems uncertain whether to bowl yorkers or length deliveries. What's more concerning is the Pakistan team's body language, they were unenthusiastic about playing the 4th T20i against England. But a positive sign was Shaheen Shah's impressive swing, which was the most pronounced among all bowlers tonight.

Nasser is stating the obvious but this is still better than the usual tripe he spouts about Pakistan cricket.

He was on his way again because old habits die hard, but he redeemed himself in the end.

One of the worst commenters and analysts ever when it comes to Pakistan cricket but he is Ok otherwise.

He is right. Teams like Ireland, the USA will fancy their chances after looking at such a pathetic team that is looking like sitting ducks waiting to be slaughtered. Pakistan should do better than that otherwise teams like the USA, Canada will join the panthelons of minnow teams like Zimbabawe, Ireland, and Afghanistan who have defeated them at the world cup.

Things are not looking good atm for Pakistan.

Tbh every team thinks that when they play Pakistan. Playing Pakistan is alot like playing Russian roulette. You could blow your brains out or survive long enough to see the other guy to blow his.

Ireland are a not a good tactical side. They don't use matchups or have the ability to force batters to hit to one side only etc.

They should learn from the Netherlands who plan and execute very carefully and can often trouble sides who are better on paper.

Ireland are a not a good tactical side. They don't use matchups or have the ability to force batters to hit to one side only etc.

They should learn from the Netherlands who plan and execute very carefully and can often trouble sides who are better on paper.
Netherlands had one of the best strategies for each players. Even for KL Rahul's dabs they had a fieldsman something i never saw from other international teams.

Netherlands had one of the best strategies for each players. Even for KL Rahul's dabs they had a fieldsman something i never saw from other international teams.

They were ruthless. They used an offspinner and kept 2 midwickets for Babar and got him out pulling, opened with 2 off spinners to get Quinton out etc

Ireland were rubbish in the recent T20I series. Even with Josh Little, I don't expect Stirling to know what to do against Pakistan.

Tbh every team thinks that when they play Pakistan. Playing Pakistan is alot like playing Russian roulette. You could blow your brains out or survive long enough to see the other guy to blow his.
True.. this is an apt description.
You just don't know which Pakistan team will turn up.

They were ruthless. They used an offspinner and kept 2 midwickets for Babar and got him out pulling, opened with 2 off spinners to get Quinton out etc

Ireland were rubbish in the recent T20I series. Even with Josh Little, I don't expect Stirling to know what to do against Pakistan.
they have 3 very good middle order batters in tucker, tector and campher. adair is a very exciting bowling allrounder. Stirling might be well past his prime, but he's made for t20 cricket. They just need better tacticians to employ better strategies.

It is T20 where there's pretty much a 50/50 chance of winning a game, and even then all it takes is 1 or 2 overs to change the game.

Expect more upsets (not involving Pakistan) in T20is and the up coming WC as affiliate/associate teams join the party.

they have 3 very good middle order batters in tucker, tector and campher. adair is a very exciting bowling allrounder. Stirling might be well past his prime, but he's made for t20 cricket. They just need better tacticians to employ better strategies.

They don't the quality to test the big teams consistently. Especially Campher and Adair.

Young, Little, Delaney and Dockrell have to bowl 16 overs . It's better than bowling average right arm medium pacers . Heck even Stirling should go back to bowling a couple of overs of offspin.

Batting wise, they are very reliant on one of the Top 4 batting deep .

I think Nasser meant to say USA but mistakenly spelled Ireland there.
actually he meant to say all associate sides because the way our shaheens are playing cricket these days even combodia can take them down easily who never played cricket before.

Ireland has the ability to beat Pakistan. Pakistan already lost a game against them a few days ago so there is a mental thing that will definitely come into the minds of the Pakistan team that this side defeated us fair and square just a few days ago so they could beat us in this WC again. That is why you need to be mentally strong like a rock to overcome such thoughts.

After watching the match of Ireland and Canada, I can safely say that Pakistan will lose all of their group matches.

Back