Shaheen Shah Afridi as new T20 Captain: Will he be insurmountably better than Babar Azam or just another casualty at the altar of captaincy?

Would Shaheen be a successful and better captain than Babar?

• Total voters

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Shaheen Shah Afridi as new T20 Captain: Will he be insurmountably better than Babar Azam or just another casualty at the altar of captaincy?

Shaheen Shah Afridi's fortunes have changed significantly since the golden LBW delivery to Rohit Sharma in the ICC T20 World Cup 2021. His red-hot form in that World Cup also forced the think tank of the ever struggling Lahore Qalandars to take a gamble and make him captain of their franchise side despite no prior reasonable captaincy experience and a very young age. Even his own Father-in-Law, Shahid Afridi, advised him to steer clear of the captaincy fuss due to his inexperience in this area. But fortunately for LQ, the gamble paid off greatly and turned the erstwhile notorious chokers into serial winners with the privilege of being the only PSL side to win the tournament twice on trot. Amazingly, Shaheen Shah Afridi not only excelled in the role of captain but also improved immensely his own bowling prowess under the enormous pressure of captaincy.

Shaheen Afridi’s spectacular performance as a captain in the domestic arena coupled with the unexpected resignation of Babar Azam from captaincy paved the way for Shaheen to be appointed as the next T20 captain of Pakistan. And now as he has been officially entrusted with this responsibility, the expectations from him to excel in this role are sky high owing to his glorious recent captaincy record in the Pakistan Super League(PSL).

_20240110_185557.JPG

Challenges for Shaheen Afridi as a T20 captain:

Now let’s delve into the challenges that await Shaheen before his entrance into this new role. The first and foremost challenge for Shaheen Afridi would be to replicate his glorious form as captain from the PSL front into the International arena, otherwise he would not be viewed as a role model by other youngsters in the team and can also not lead by example.

Replacing dosti yaari XI with deserving XI

Another big challenge for Shaheen as a captain would be to dispel the impression of DOSTI YAARI (the like and dislike) culture within the Pakistan dressing room. This controversy has plagued team green for long in the recent times and also was responsible for some of the bad performances from the players due to the extra layer of pressure. Also promoting and accommodating the right set of competent and deserving players would not only promote the culture of meritocracy but would also significantly enhance the performance graph of the entire team. Another advantage of shunning this culture of favoritism would be that the players would remain alert and non complacent. And thus, will also remain focused on their immediate task of performing well for the team instead of pursuing personal milestones and individual goals that in the end, brings nothing but disaster for the team instead of glory.

Meeting and exceeding the high standard set by the former captain Babar Azam

Matters will not be easier and rosier for him as they are in franchise leagues as the competition on the international level of a much higher standard and challenging. In addition, the success criteria set by the former captain Babar Azam is exceedingly high to meet which in turn makes things even more difficult for young Shaheen. For instance, Babar has a winning percentage of almost 60% in T20 internationals and was able to make it to at least the Semi Finals of the T20 World Cup tournaments that he has been part of as a captain. So for even to be considered on par with Babar, as a captain Shaheen needs to make it to the Semi Final of the upcoming ICC T20 World Cup 2024 in the Caribbean and USA. And mind you, to end up in the Semi Final of the T20 WC tournament 2021 was the worst ever captaincy performance by Babar Azam as the captain of the shorter format. So the standards set by his predecessor are tall if wants to make a name for himself among the all time great T20 captains.

Snubbing the commentators that call him pedestrian

The third Challenge for Shaheen will be to rediscover his coveted red-hot form that made him the mega star that he is today. Especially the rediscovering of the knack to rattle wickets early on in the innings particularly in his very first over would be something he will want to rediscover.

Another important battle for Shaheen Afridi would be to shut the mouth of his critics who have called him average, pedestrian and the most ‘cash in bowler’ who leaks run freely. With the added responsibility of captaincy on his shoulders now, it has now become evenly important for him to improve his bowling prowess significantly and snub the haughty commentators like Ravi Shastri, Irfan Pathan, Waqar Younis and Wasim Akram etc who have taken made comments about his dip in performance and speed recently. Also, it is a mandatory and prerequisite requirement for any person entrusted with the role of captaincy to be a torch bearer for the whole side through his exceptional performance and with the raising of a lot of eyebrows of late regarding the slow pace of Shaheen’s deliveries it has become incumbent upon him to fix this issue on top priority by bringing his A-Game for the national side.

_20240110_185626.JPG

Managing the dressing room environment and the challenge of dealing with senior players

Another big challenge for Shaheen Afridi would be to manage and maintain a healthy and conducive dressing room environment that allow other players to express their talent and skills freely without getting under the skin of others and feeling insecure. The good thing for Shaheen here would be his invaluable past experience with the Lahore Qalandar’s franchise where he has managed many big names and egos like Rashid Khan, David Wiese, Sikandar Raza, Fakhar Zaman and Liam Dawson etc and that too successfully and despite being much junior to them in age. So, Shaheen could use his man management skills here to steer the ship well for the team in future.

Ending the T20 trophy drought for Pakistan

The fifth and another important challenge for Shaheen would be to get his team over the line. As in the past few years, they have fallen tantalizingly short of claiming the silverware glory in T20 WC tournaments. So for Shaheen as the new T20 captain, the biggest challenge would be to end the 15 year long World Cup trophy drought in the T20 format. As Shaheen was the one to end the 6 year long trophy drought for LQ that even the greats like Brendon Mccullum, Azhar Ali and no other LQ captain could do, so for many he would also be the special one for Pakistan to end their trophy drought in the T20 format later this year.

Incessant fear of removal from captaincy owing to strong potential captaincy alternatives

Another uphill task for Shaheen would be to retain his position as the captain. Unlike Babar Azam, he may not get a prolonged captaincy tenure due to strong potential captaincy alternatives in the current side. The biggest competitor for Shaheen Afridi would be non other than his own Vice-Captain wicket keeper batter Mohammad Rizwan who not only is a consistent performer for Pakistan but also is a much better captaincy option than Shaheen according to many experts owing to his vast domestic captaincy experience and great player management skills. Even Shaheen's own father-in-law Shahid Afridi recently in a private gathering has expressed his preference of Rizwan over Shaheen for the coveted captaincy position because of Rizwan's indifferent approach to the criticism of the critics and his great goal oriented approach. Also, to perform well as the T20 captain would be of doubly importance for Shaheen as the prospect of being a future ODI captain for Shaheen Afridi greatly hinges on his solid performance in the shorter T20 format. If Shaheen can achieve something really big with the T20 side then he can potentially emerge as the next white ball captain for team Pakistan, otherwise Rizwan or Shan Masood are in line to be named as the next ODI captain. So, besides a great stream of expectations, the incessant fear of being removed from captaincy would be another challenge for Shaheen to overcome in his upcoming captaincy stint.

_20240110_185703.JPG

Shaheen's exceptional captaincy record- A glimmer of hope for fans

Shaheen's own extraordinary record as captain is something to bank on for the Pakistan cricket fans. Shaheen Afridi has the best win/loss ratio among all the PSL captains ever. Another encouraging thing for PCT fans is the ostensible improvement in the performance of Shaheen both as a bowler and batter since his elevation to the captaincy post in PSL. For instance, before being anointed as captain, Shaheen's batting strike rate was a lowly 104.7 which soared to a whooping 165.4. Also, his batting average augmented by threefold from 7.7 to 22.1 runs per innings. So unlike majority of other players who crumble under the sheer pressure of captaincy, Shaheen has shined otherwise under his captaincy tenure. So, one could expect a wholesome performance from Shaheen Shah Afridi in his upcoming captaincy stint.

_20240110_190515.JPG

sketch-1704914964549.png

Red 🔴 dot presents stats after captaincy
Green 🟢 represents stats before captaincy

Conclusion :

Shaheen Shah Afridi’s captaincy could be the missing piece of puzzle in the tournament-winning combination of Pakistan, but at the same time, this massive opportunity could also be deleterious for Shaheen, as in the past many captains have lost their form and good will owing to lackluster performances as captain. But bearing in mind the phenomenal record of Shaheen as captain for the Qalandars it would be safe to say that he had a good chance to excel Pakistan's cause. He has already proven many people wrong who were sceptical of his success as captain by managing to win trophies for proven chokers like Lahore so he really could bring success as captain to national side too. But still he won’t be reckoned as the special one unless he brings the coveted T20 World Cup trophy with him this year or anytime soon. The first ordeal of Shaheen starts on Friday in the series against New Zealand, let’s see how he performs there because the performance there would could foreshadow his success ahead.

Attachments

• _20240110_190600.JPG
    _20240110_190600.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 19
  • _20240111_002802.JPG
    _20240111_002802.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 0
Not difficult being a better captain than Babar.

If Shaheen after 4 years of captaincy fails to improve a jot, refuses to learn from mistakes, puts his own interests ahead of the team and sounds completely divorced from reality in press conferences then we can perhaps compare the two.

He's already shown more captaincy pedigree than Babar ever did by winning two PSLs.

Not difficult being a better captain than Babar.

If Shaheen after 4 years of captaincy fails to improve a jot, refuses to learn from mistakes, puts his own interests ahead of the team and sounds completely divorced from reality in press conferences then we can perhaps compare the two.

He's already shown more captaincy pedigree than Babar ever did by winning two PSLs.
But bro remember babar's worst performance in T2O WC was to make to Semi Final at least.So do you believe Shaheen can better that?

Give me the bowling attack Lohare have and i will get you to atleast a final.
Give Rashid Khan 3 decent pacers and he will lock down the middle overs for you

Pakistan cannot do anything without a bowler of that quality. They don’t even have anyone that is 70% as good as he is.

What I liked about Shan Masood was that he tried to lead by example by trying to be aggressive. I hope Shaheen is able to do that too. Really try to assert himself rather than having a defensive mindset.

Also, I never realised that his W/L ratio in PSL was that incredible. Do you have Babar's as well for comparison @The Bald Eagle ?

Give Rashid Khan 3 decent pacers and he will lock down the middle overs for you

Pakistan cannot do anything without a bowler of that quality. They don’t even have anyone that is 70% as good as he is.
Pakistan do have Zafar Gohar and spinners like Mohammad Asghar now lets see the deserving ones get chance or not in place of DOSTI YAARI XI

Brilliant OP!

👍

So it appears as the thing stands the Lahore Qalandar(Pakistan) led by Shaheen is going to face Mumbai Indian( India) led by Hardik Pandya in T20 WC 2024. So practically besides Ind Vs Pak clash we are also going to witness the clash between the PSL's most successful franchise against IPL's most successful franchise.

Shaheen won the PSL which Babar could not do. Shaheen might not be the best guy but he certainly is not the worst choice to be your t20 captain. He can take this role up and be aggressive like he was in PSL. No need to be friendly when it comes to game.

i back up him to get us silverware. Champion player. I really hope he does not listen to Rizwan much.

Shaheen won the PSL which Babar could not do. Shaheen might not be the best guy but he certainly is not the worst choice to be your t20 captain. He can take this role up and be aggressive like he was in PSL. No need to be friendly when it comes to game.
Yep sheer aggression is something mandatory these days to win matches. Especially in T20 format for this reason Shaheen would be a better fit than Babar.
Better?

He might be even worse than Babar.
Atleast Shaheen was way better than Babar in PSL. And with explosive guys like Sahibzada Farhan, Saim and Azam Khan coming into the side I think he may eclipse Babar with his phenomenal captaincy.

i back up him to get us silverware. Champion player. I really hope he does not listen to Rizwan much.
no bro, I feel he needs his valuable advices from the back of the wicket except in DRS method. Even Shahid Afridi preferred him over Shaheen so i feel his consutation with him and babar would be vital.

one thing is certain, he will be doing a Sohail Tanvir by coming up to bat and than fail

one thing is certain, he will be doing a Sohail Tanvir by coming up to bat and than fail
I disagree with you @Major bro. Just look at his impressive SR and Avg post captaincy. I am sure you will now replace the word Sohail Tanvir with Aamir Sohail after watching it ⬇️

sketch-1704914964549.pngRed 🔴 dot presents stats after captaincy

I hope Shaheen expirments with his playing XI during the series, but I wonder to what extent he will.

It's his first series as captain and he may want to do what it takes to win his first series rather than try out untested players. If he expirments during his first series he will def win my respect.

I hope Shaheen expirments with his playing XI during the series, but I wonder to what extent he will.

It's his first series as captain and he may want to do what it takes to win his first series rather than try out untested players. If he expirments during his first series he will def win my respect.
It would be risky but if Shaheen is looking forward to long term glory ie T20 World Cup rather than short term gains then certainly this is the best occasion to try it as after this series he won't have the luxury to make such bold changes.

I disagree with you @Major bro. Just look at his impressive SR and Avg post captaincy. I am sure you will now replace the word Sohail Tanvir with Aamir Sohail after watching it ⬇️

View attachment 141218Red 🔴 dot presents stats after captaincy

ok fair enough, but sohail tanvir used to go over proper batters.

If Shaheen does that with Chacha, i would be furious. As long as Chacha is not disturbed, i am good

ok fair enough, but sohail tanvir used to go over proper batters.

If Shaheen does that with Chacha, i would be furious. As long as Chacha is not disturbed, i am good
I believe he won't be that stupid.

He should be an aggressive captain, open the bowling with 3 slips regardless of pitch, have a slip and short leg for spinner, always keep mid on mid off up no matter if its death overs. Please none of these, hopefully SSA will be a thinking captain assessing the situation all the time and always having a backup plan.

He should be an aggressive captain, open the bowling with 3 slips regardless of pitch, have a slip and short leg for spinner, always keep mid on mid off up no matter if its death overs. Please none of these, hopefully SSA will be a thinking captain assessing the situation all the time and always having a backup plan.
Bro your tactics really look aggressive but do you think SSA would adopt it in T20? cant recall such bold captaincy in T20 by any captain.

Shaheen Afridi takes his first wicket as Pakistan captain just on his second delivery as captain. Brilliant👏. Can he up the ante further by winning his first match as captain too?

All eyes on him now.

Wasn't too impressed with his pre match presser but hoping for the best.
My gut says he's pretty street smart with no evidence whatsoever.
I do feel like he's a few years too early to be captain and needs to develop as a person first. Maybe he'll grow with the job.

Happy to be proven wrong.

I am curious to see what people think of his captaincy as have been tuning in and out of the match.

Disappointed to not see him use the sixth bowling option - Ifthikar.

Told you he was going to a sohail tanvir.
Very disappointed by Afridi's and Azam Khan's batting today. The match was still in hand but they bottled it with two overs to spare.

Although his bowling performance today was decent with 3/46.

have no clue about Afridi's leadership skills , as long as he is not inspired by on field antics of F-in-Law he can always improve as these are early days . Never rated Babar as a skipper !

He would be gone after the T20 World Cup. Should start grooming the next captain.

Told you he was going to a sohail tanvir.
Sohail Tanvir never did anything like that in international cricket. And Sohail Tanvir could actually bat even if he was asked to come up the order here and there.

Yep poor choice to stick with run machine Usama mir replace him ASAP or just lose the series humiliatingly.
Irrespective of Usama, teams that use six bowlers end up controlling the bowling better than those who just use 5. I saw the stats of last few indo-pak t20i clashes and this was a clear standout.

Irrespective of Usama, teams that use six bowlers end up controlling the bowling better than those who just use 5. I saw the stats of last few indo-pak t20i clashes and this was a clear standout.
I expect SSA to use 6 options from next time around need to bring Zaman Khan in and put Usama out. Iftimania can be our spinning option. If Shaheen goes with this combo then Pak can still win 4-1 I guess.

Yep sheer aggression is something mandatory these days to win matches. Especially in T20 format for this reason Shaheen would be a better fit than Babar.

Atleast Shaheen was way better than Babar in PSL. And with explosive guys like Sahibzada Farhan, Saim and Azam Khan coming into the side I think he may eclipse Babar with his phenomenal captaincy.
He wasn't better than Babar in the PSL.

He had guys like Wiese and Hafeez guiding him and on top of that, a really good LQ team as well.

Both Jamal and Mir struggled today, but he persisted with them.

He should have bowled a few overs from Ifti, so Jamal and Mir don't have to complete their quota.

Really poor start.

Abusing his position as captain how can he come at number 7, since Asia cup one humiliation after another.

Sohail Tanvir never did anything like that in international cricket. And Sohail Tanvir could actually bat even if he was asked to come up the order here and there.
you dont know what is being discussed.

Sohail Tanvir was not even captain in Pakistan team.....

When Sohail Tanvir was captain of Rawalpindi Rams, he used to think himself as an allrounder, he would come in before many genuine batters like Hammad Azam and few others and try to bat up the order. He would play a few dots by missing the ball get one boundary and than get out.

Something that Shaheen started doing in Lahore Qalanders and now doing in Pakistan.

ANyways, what your views of shaheen's captaincy today?

Very disappointed by Afridi's and Azam Khan's batting today. The match was still in hand but they bottled it with two overs to spare.

Although his bowling performance today was decent with 3/46.
Decent?

His last two wickets were gifts as batsmen were on the charge in the final few overs. NZ still managed to post an imposing total.

you dont know what is being discussed.

Sohail Tanvir was not even captain in Pakistan team.....

When Sohail Tanvir was captain of Rawalpindi Rams, he used to think himself as an allrounder, he would come in before many genuine batters like Hammad Azam and few others and try to bat up the order. He would play a few dots by missing the ball get one boundary and than get out.

Something that Shaheen started doing in Lahore Qalanders and now doing in Pakistan.

ANyways, what your views of shaheen's captaincy today?
I know exactly what is being discussed and that’s why I clearly wrote ST never pulled off a stunt like that in international cricket unless asked by the management to bat up the order. He had 5 fc hundreds @28 so he wasn’t exactly a dud with the bat either

Decent?

His last two wickets were gifts as batsmen were on the charge in the final few overs. NZ still managed to post an imposing total.
Yep bro, i stilL beieve it was decent as mitchell if left unchecked woud have caused much havoc.

He wasn't better than Babar in the PSL.

He had guys like Wiese and Hafeez guiding him and on top of that, a really good LQ team as well.

Both Jamal and Mir struggled today, but he persisted with them.

He should have bowled a few overs from Ifti, so Jamal and Mir don't have to complete their quota.

Really poor start.
YEP poor captaincy today but i hope he will learn from his mistakes today.If he manages to win this series then he certainy has my respect as against odd NZ are playing with full strenght squad.
Should have used Iftikhar for an over or two.

First game as captain nothing extraordinary which stands out hopefully he will improve

Shaheen must drop Usama Mir or risk losing series and his job as captain. Rizwan is already on standby mode to take over captaincy in case Shaheen failed. Hope Shaheen makes a strong comeback in nxt match.

Shaheen must drop Usama Mir or risk losing series and his job as captain. Rizwan is already on standby mode to take over captaincy in case Shaheen failed. Hope Shaheen makes a strong comeback in nxt match.
Pakistan were much more competitive today with the bat than I have ever seen them for a long time.

Rizwan will only take you back into the worst ever phase of Pakistan’s white ball cricket. If you think Shaheen has been exposed as captain without his LQ key players, Rizwan will be even worse with his Multan Sultan’s strategy of not having any proper middle order batsmen either. It’s the same bowlers who Shaheen has at his disposal so what exactly will Rizwan do better?

Well it's too early to pass judgements on Shaheen as captain but one thing is sure with Rizwan as captain he would eliminate the likes of Azam Khan for team because of Wk insecurity and will bring in much submissive players instead.
Pakistan were much more competitive today with the bat than I have ever seen them for a long time.

Rizwan will only take you back into the worst ever phase of Pakistan’s white ball cricket. If you think Shaheen has been exposed as captain without his LQ key players, Rizwan will be even worse with his Multan Sultan’s strategy of not having any proper middle order batsmen either. It’s the same bowlers who Shaheen has at his disposal so what exactly will Rizwan do better?

Well it's too early to pass judgements on Shaheen as captain but one thing is sure with Rizwan as captain he would eliminate the likes of Azam Khan for team because of Wk insecurity and will bring in much submissive players instead.
He will also eliminate Saim Ayub as an opener and bring Babar back to open with him

He will also bring Khushdil and Iftikhar as the main middle order and spin all rounders of Pakistan

That’s essentially what you are advocating for. Be very careful with this man.

He will also eliminate Saim Ayub as an opener and bring Babar back to open with him

He will also bring Khushdil and Iftikhar as the main middle order and spin all rounders of Pakistan

That’s essentially what you are advocating for. Be very careful with this man.
OK bro I shall be careful regarding him. But trust him he is not as bad as you think😉

OK bro I shall be careful regarding him. But trust him he is not as bad as you think😉
Being proactive with movements and field changes doesn’t automatically make you a better captain if your original strategy and blue print is flawed

Rizwan’s strategy as a T20 player and captain is 100% flawed and not in line with modern cricket. His only strength is inspiring average/decent bowlers to bowl with a bit of heart.

His batting approach and the way he lines up his side is ridiculous. 3 years at Multan Sultans…name 1 proper middle order Pakistani player that he has developed in case Russow, Miller, Pollard and David are not there to save them?

Being proactive with movements and field changes doesn’t automatically make you a better captain if your original strategy and blue print is flawed

Rizwan’s strategy as a T20 player and captain is 100% flawed and not in line with modern cricket. His only strength is inspiring average/decent bowlers to bowl with a bit of heart.

His batting approach and the way he lines up his side is ridiculous. 3 years at Multan Sultans…name 1 proper middle order Pakistani player that he has developed in case Russow, Miller, Pollard and David are not there to save them?
Bro Hammad Azam and Sohaib Maqsood are two that I can recall at the moment.

Bro Hammad Azam and Sohaib Maqsood are two that I can recall at the moment.
Where is Sohaib Maqsood now and what good is he to Pakistan at the moment?

Be fair, Rizwan has produced nothing. Absolutely nothing that Pakistan actually needs right now. There are tens of options that can replace Rizwan as an opener or keeper+batter, but not a single proper batting option in the middle order for Pakistan since Babar, Rizwan, Shaheen and Shadab have been worshiped in our cricket. Not a single one!

The direction has been wrong for a long, long time now. Do not keep it in the wrong direction with the same guys who have kept it there

Where is Sohaib Maqsood now and what good is he to Pakistan at the moment?

Be fair, Rizwan has produced nothing. Absolutely nothing that Pakistan actually needs right now. There are tens of options that can replace Rizwan as an opener or keeper+batter, but not a single proper batting option in the middle order for Pakistan since Babar, Rizwan, Shaheen and Shadab have been worshiped in our cricket. Not a single one!

The direction has been wrong for a long, long time now. Do not keep it in the wrong direction with the same guys who have kept it there
OK bro let's see what Rizwan could do as a batter in this series. Tomorrow's match especially this series will either clear the air regarding his role or would further add pressure on him in case he does not deliver.

Shaheen's performance too would be worth watching tomorrow whether he repeats the old mistakes or improvises. let's see tomorrow.

Shaheen Shah decision to open with Haris Rauf was pretty questionable.
But I like his move of bowling himself in the middle overs. Never fancied him too much bowling at the death.

Waaay out of his depth on par with Babar this PSL must have low standard if his the stand out captain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Babar the only hope now. Shaheen the batsman of LQ needed here or another defeat incoming!

Shaheen Shah Afridi's performance as an all rounder was decent today. Only his team let him down. Especially guys all Usama Mir and Azam Khan are turning out to be liabilities now. Told before bring in Zaman Khan but if Shaheen wants to suffer then let be it.

I am observing a different Shaheen Shah Afridi as T20I captain from the one I saw in the PSL. Here, I see him frustrated and in a hustle. It's just a start, and he seems desperate. I can see a reflection of Shahid Afridi's captaincy in him. It's not good for his career. Shaheen needs to be himself, as we all saw him as captain in the PSL for Lahore Qalandars.

In PSL Shaheen had Haris, Rashid, Zaman and even Wiese which can control game. In International he will have Shadab, Nawaz, Mir in the middle, babar captaincy wasnt the fault.

Shaheen Shah Afridi's performance as an all rounder was decent today. Only his team let him down. Especially guys all Usama Mir and Azam Khan are turning out to be liabilities now. Told before bring in Zaman Khan but if Shaheen wants to suffer then let be it.
He is too worried about making this look like an LQ monopoly

He shouldn’t be worried if that LQ strategy is his strength as captain. Bring in Zaman as your 3rd seamer

Open the innings with Fakhar.

Mir is no Rashid Khan unfortunately for him.

He is too worried about making this look like an LQ monopoly

He shouldn’t be worried if that LQ strategy is his strength as captain. Bring in Zaman as your 3rd seamer

Open the innings with Fakhar.

Mir is no Rashid Khan unfortunately for him.
Yep no matter ppl call Pak team a LQ 2.0 if it works for us then we are happy with this monopoly.

In PSL Shaheen had Haris, Rashid, Zaman and even Wiese which can control game. In International he will have Shadab, Nawaz, Mir in the middle, babar captaincy wasnt the fault.
Now I have realised Babar wasn't that bad it was the mediocre guys in team who always let us down and hide behind high performers fighting spirit.

Poor captain. First he lost the afg series now he lost this series aswell.

Now I have realised Babar wasn't that bad it was the mediocre guys in team who always let us down and hide behind high performers fighting spirit.
Babar was bad. Just because shaheen is bad, doesnt make babar any good.

Shaheen is looking all over the place. I don't think with such performance he will stay captain for so long.

another decline is on the cards now!

He needs cool heads around him to guide him and keep him calm.

At Qalandars he has Wiese who is vital and helps him a lot. But in the Pakistan team he looks all at sea so far as skipper.

He needs cool heads around him to guide him and keep him calm.

At Qalandars he has Wiese who is vital and helps him a lot. But in the Pakistan team he looks all at sea so far as skipper.
Babar and Rizwan can help him there as both of them have some captaincy experience.

Shaheen's inability to handle failures is evident from his bowling; it's clear how quickly he loses his cool when he doesn't get wickets early on and then gets smashed all over the ground later on.

In the PSL, it might be acceptable because he has a good team, and the quality of cricket is not as high. However, in international matches, especially against overseas and top teams, our players seem like amateurs. We need to play more competitive cricket against top teams to stay relevant on the international circuit

Same mistakes were done in 2nd T20 as well, and shown no chance of improvement. No big team will repeat same mistakes

Not the wise decision to have SSA as skipper, Rizwan should have been the t20 captain. SSA workload is having toll on him , also the variety in our pace attack gets compromised.
SSA Naseem Rauf Zaman WasimJr Hasnain
That's 6 good bowlers for T20 cricket, fighting for 3 slots but with SSA as captain the competition reduces to 2/5.
Another baffling decision by PCB, no wonder Justice Cooke said "Clowns work in PCB"

Captaincy is overrated unless you're either very good (Bmac, Dhoni, Fleming) or very bad (Amla, Azhar, Waqar, Malik, Dilshan etc) at it.

Back