[Report] Mohammad Rizwan is likely to replace Shaheen Shah Afridi as the captain of Pakistan cricket team before the T20 World Cup 2024

Would it be wise to appoint Mohammad Rizwan as captain for Pakistan's T20I squad in the World Cup?

• Total voters
Am fan of express pace. Am not sure whether shaheen can bowl 140plus regularly, I will like to see it outside of psl.In nz,aus he was at 135 Max.Rauf used to be good with 145plus.its interesting to see the third fast bowler option.Jamal/wasim jnr played well but not express.Zamam is still raw and yet to be tested against best.
I'm a fan too but its been Pakistan's weak link. Guys like Haris Rauf and previously Wahab Riaz get thrashed regularly

He's World Class. Shaheen carrying a niggle is still a better bowler than majority of Pak pacers
He's nowhere close.

I don't think you know what world class entails, this psl alone David wiese has Massively bowled better then he has, and wiese isn't even close to how good siraj, shami and bumrah can bowl.

He's World Class. Shaheen carrying a niggle is still a better bowler than majority of Pak pacers
His competition in the world cup amongst his fellow peers were haris Rauf and hasan has been Ali lol.

Shaheen isn't even the best in his own country. Both Amir and naseem are superior and they have proved that numerous times over this psl, in the past etc.

The spell by Amir in champions trophy or his 2009 spell where he took 5 wickets in a single over is far superior to anything shaheen can and will ever do.

Amir's only fault is that he sold his country and is beyond arrogant and a toxic individual, but that doesn't change that AS A BOWLER, he's far superior to anything shaheen will ever do.

Let me ask you something, during the India game that got washed out, where shaheen took 4 for 35, everyone was saying "They cannot play him"

Next game against India he gets butchered. Amd all of the sudden he's injured now?

That's highly highly sus.

So you expect him to win us all matches? We were over confident going into that game and India did their homework. They played both Shaheen and Naseem very well that day. Us not having a proper spinner also did not help. Once India saw out the initial threat, it was easy pickings for Kohli and Rahul

He's nowhere close.

I don't think you know what world class entails, this psl alone David wiese has Massively bowled better then he has, and wiese isn't even close to how good siraj, shami and bumrah can bowl.

So David Weise is a better bowler than Shaheen? That's a new one

Amir's only fault is that he sold his country and is beyond arrogant and a toxic individual, but that doesn't change that AS A BOWLER, he's far superior to anything shaheen will ever do

Are you a fortune teller? Shaheen's best is yet to come, we just need to manage him properly and keep him away from doing stupid things like going after captaincy and trying to be an all rounder.

Amir had lots of other faults. Not too long ago he was getting smashed in the legends league but yea sure he's better than Shaheen

Pakistani cricket has become bipolar.

One loss - change the captain, change the coach, change the batting order, change the vice captain, change the physio, change the chairman.

It's fine to read that stuff on PP and completely bizarre to see it unfolding in real life.
Na.

Thing is, when Babar was captain, we knew before hand he is a bad captain but gave him chance till the ICC tournament. Shaheen Afridi is also a bad captain, but this time PCB is being proactive and making changes before hand and not after an icc tournament.

Rizwan was always the better captain and the last chairman made a foolish decision to make Shaheen captain and over look Rizwan.

So David Weise is a better bowler than Shaheen? That's a new one
I said he's bowled Massively better this entire psl then shaheen, and currently yes given How's he's bowled, atm he's superior.

But even in prime, shaheen isn't even close to india's trio.

Are you a fortune teller? Shaheen's best is yet to come, we just need to manage him properly and keep him away from doing stupid things like going after captaincy and trying to be an all rounder.

Amir had lots of other faults. Not too long ago he was getting smashed in the legends league but yea sure he's better than Shaheen
The day shaheen wins a cup for his country, I'll concede.

Amir won a cup for his country 2x, in 2009 and in 2017, the only downside to Amir is that he sold his country is an ego head, Amir deserved the boot simply due to his inflated ego while selling his country.

But he has won cups for his country 2x, whereas shaheen has lost things for his country, shaheen is the main blame for 2021 t20 world cup loss against Australia, he's got belted 24/7 in the world cup, and BEFORE HIS FINGER INJURY, he got smashed by India and humiliated 24/7, in the asia cup, despite India constantly losing momentum via a rain affected game whereas Pakistan had collapsed, and Pakistani fans were begging for rain to save us that day, but Allah wanted the truth to be exposed.

So you expect him to win us all matches? We were over confident going into that game and India did their homework. They played both Shaheen and Naseem very well that day. Us not having a proper spinner also did not help. Once India saw out the initial threat, it was easy pickings for Kohli and Rahul
No but I don't expect him to get bashed, beaten and humiliated by every single team in the world cup including Sri Lanka, Afghanistan etc etc.

Only bamgaldesh struggled lol.

Edit: Also it's a bit hypocritical that you're highlighting shaheen's injury but ignoring bumrah's and the rest of the bowlers injury in 2021 which is why Pakistan stremrolled to 10 wickets and then steamrolled by 9 wickets against NZ

But this thread is all about Rizwan and Shaheen's captaincy replacement. Why it looks like it is turning into an Amir vs Shaheen debate.?

But this thread is all about Rizwan and Shaheen's captaincy replacement. Why it looks like it is turning into an Amir vs Shaheen debate.?
I think its relevant to talk about rizwan and shaheen's performance as well as that part is relevant to captaincy.

Same reason why shan is scrutinised. But I'll keep Amir vs shaheen specifically out of the topic as that wasn't my main point anyway.

Amir vs shaheen specifically out of the topic as that wasn't my main point
yeah, It was specifically mentioned for this thing. No need to bring amir here. it will derail the whole thread and TBH Rizwan replacing shaheen is a big news so.

yeah, It was specifically mentioned for this thing. No need to bring amir here. it will derail the whole thread and TBH Rizwan replacing shaheen is a big news so.
Rizwan replacing shaheen is the obvious choice 100%, but neither were captaincy material, we don't have any captain atm sadly.

Shaheen is a very good bowler but he has his limitations.

Same for Babar.

Rizwan is just poor and is being rewarded captaincy based on his fan posse and antics.

I don’t think he’s that bad. Let him captain the 5 match series v NZ at home. He will deliver the same results as Babar would have
But the thing is he should never have been captain. He should be rested till the world cup, so he is fit and firing. From that point I welcome his sacking. Would have preferred Babar to captain because Rizwan may need to be dropped from T20Is

Rizwan replacing shaheen is the obvious choice 100%, but neither were captaincy material, we don't have any captain atm sadly.
Yeah you are right that Rizwan was the obvious choice after Babar and he should have been the captain then instead os shaheen but now removing shaheen after just 1 series does not sound good idea to me.

Yeah you are right that Rizwan was the obvious choice after Babar and he should have been the captain then instead os shaheen but now removing shaheen after just 1 series does not sound good idea to me.
Shaheen will burn out all our reviews in the first over and become injury prone if he is captain

Things like these in the Pakistan team are the reason Wallahi i am so damn sure that after five years, Naseem Shah will undoubtedly be the captain, while Ubaid or Hunain will serve as the vice captain.
Albeit this may make you sneer today, but it will turn into reality in future because you should know that Pakistan is the only team where anything is possible except stability.

Or should they now go for plan c?
May be take a risk and make babar captain but for this world cup only?

Babar is a regressive step.

Its like driving a Honda, not being able to win against Mercedes, hiring motorcycles to try to win the race; failing and then switching back to Honda because hey at least it was better than the motorcycle.

I doubt this is gonna happen and PCB will face backlash if they take this step. Let Babar play as a player. Keep shaheen till the world cup and then they can sack him after in case he fails.

Too much shuffling is not a good idea when a major tournament is on your head.

I doubt this is gonna happen and PCB will face backlash if they take this step. Let Babar play as a player. Keep shaheen till the world cup and then they can sack him after in case he fails.

Too much shuffling is not a good idea when a major tournament is on your head.
Well sir,

I am essentially stating this because Pakistan has few options and Babar has previous experience leading the team. If they are prepared to remove Shaheen from the captaincy, then why choose Rizwan or another new captain? Let's face it, every captain needs at least a year to establish his own environment with the team before a major competition. Instead of trying a new captain at this point, when the World Cup is only three months away, they should sit down with Babar and explain their plans. They should tell him that they are giving him this captaincy for this World Cup only.

Regardless of results, we would delegate captaincy duties to someone else even if you win a world cup because we depend more on you as a batsman.

Well sir,

I am essentially stating this because Pakistan has few options and Babar has previous experience leading the team. If they are prepared to remove Shaheen from the captaincy, then why choose Rizwan or another new captain? Let's face it, every captain needs at least a year to establish his own environment with the team before a major competition. Instead of trying a new captain at this point, when the World Cup is only three months away, they should sit down with Babar and explain their plans. They should tell him that they are giving him this captaincy for this World Cup only.

Regardless of results, we would delegate captaincy duties to someone else even if you win a world cup because we depend more on you as a batsman.
Well, this kind of scenario is not likely to be happening with PCB. If Shaheen is removed now, Rizwan will come and so comes the doom with it.

Babar is a regressive step.

Its like driving a Honda, not being able to win against Mercedes, hiring motorcycles to try to win the race; failing and then switching back to Honda because hey at least it was better than the motorcycle.
It could be a step retrograde. However, it's still preferable to not name a new captain three months before the world cup. Forget Rizwan; you give me the world's best captain, and I foretell that, discerning that the World Cup will take place in three months, he will also struggle.

The core should have been built around rizwan , babar and shadab and naseem shah.

Shaheen I dont even rate anymore if anyone has watched him bowl his bowling has regressed a lot.

Shaheen is going down his father in laws route where reputation is the cause of playing every game I see him giving up test cricket eventually but in his father in laws case he had some memorable performances and had a massive persona fear factor and will always be a pakistan legend , he won matches with bat and ball , shaheen has done nothing of note that is memorable.

Well, this kind of scenario is not likely to be happening with PCB. If Shaheen is removed now, Rizwan will come and so comes the doom with it.
Haha
I really do think highly of Rizwan. Some may claim that in addition to acting (which is true), he also engages in some fictitious religious activities, (which is completely untrue). In fact, this is precisely the reason I find him so endearing—he doesn't hesitate to spread his religion, even in the face of any backlash. I greatly admire him because of this.
But let's face it, even he stipulates that he is not cut out to be a captain. He lacks the aura as well as ardor of a team captain.
He is fortunate to have talented players on the PSL team, which alleviates him the captaincy a lot because Rizwan himself as a batsman and the rest of the team perform well when it counts.
But this Pakistani team will expose him too, and all of a sudden, in the course of a year, the two superstars of Pakistan will get exposed.
It will surprise people.

If this decision is made, it will happen after the New Zealand series. Shaheen Shah Afridi's captaincy will be under scrutiny for the upcoming New Zealand series.

The core should have been built around rizwan , babar and shadab and naseem shah.
This is Pakistan cricket team. Building a core like this only keeps them slightly above Sri Lanka and below West Indies

This is Pakistan cricket team. Building a core like this only keeps them slightly above Sri Lanka and below West Indies
And if they build a core around the people who are your favorites like sharjeel khan, azam khan, sarfaraz Ahmad etc
Where it keeps them?
Above the sumo wrestling team of japan and their player's like Yokozuna and komusubi?

We've tried your new captain experiments with bog average players like hafeez and wahab (had no wrist control) in senior roles and the team has been comprehensively smashed .

Edit: Also it's a bit hypocritical that you're highlighting shaheen's injury but ignoring bumrah's and the rest of the bowlers injury in 2021 which is why Pakistan stremrolled to 10 wickets and then steamrolled by 9 wickets against NZ

How is it hypocritical if we're not discussing India?

Last edited by a moderator:
I said he's bowled Massively better this entire psl then shaheen, and currently yes given How's he's bowled, atm he's superior.

But even in prime, shaheen isn't even close to india's trio.

Where do you get your information from? That's a ridiculous claim. Wiese bowled 10 overs and only has 1 wicket to show for it. Whereas Shaheen has 14 wickets from 36 overs. Massively better lol you're imagining things

How is it hypocritical if we're not discussing India? Please don't use words you don't understand the meaning of.
Because I've seen comments where you've highlighted how badly Pakistan beat India by 10 wickets but didn't even acknowledge the factors as to why?

But comvientally claim that India beat Pakistan just because they had done their homework. They didn't beat Pakistan just because they did their homework and figured shaheen out, they absolutely dusted us, and proceeded to spit on our graves.

They murdered us and shaheen didn't bother them, because shaheen can't always do that killer inswing consistently which is sadly his only wicket taking delivery.

Shaheen doesn't have any variation, often bowls half trackers and desperately tries to get a wicket every ball which obviously doesn't work.

To get a wicket consistently you need to simply bowl line and length which is why naseem is so succesful as a bowler. Naseem doesn't worry about being a try hard. It's the same with siraj, bowling perfect line and length and occasional variation such as yorkers or bouncers is enough to trouble batsmen,

Shaheen just bangs it in on the deck 24/7, no wonder he got pelted.

Boils my blood to see 40+ votes for Rizwan. Its disgusting to see that even the fans at PP - which are the most high IQ Pakistan cricket fans not being able to see the scam artist Rizwan's reality.

Babar got four years to not win a single trophy for Pakistan.

Shaheen, two time PSL winner, gets a single series. Bravo. Just bravo!

I have so much more to say on this topic but i dont want to get my blood pressure shoot up right now.

Because I've seen comments where you've highlighted how badly Pakistan beat India by 10 wickets but didn't even acknowledge the factors as to why?

But comvientally claim that India beat Pakistan just because they had done their homework. They didn't beat Pakistan just because they did their homework and figured shaheen out, they absolutely dusted us, and proceeded to spit on our graves.

They murdered us and shaheen didn't bother them, because shaheen can't always do that killer inswing consistently which is sadly his only wicket taking delivery.

Shaheen doesn't have any variation, often bowls half trackers and desperately tries to get a wicket every ball which obviously doesn't work.

To get a wicket consistently you need to simply bowl line and length which is why naseem is so succesful as a bowler. Naseem doesn't worry about being a try hard. It's the same with siraj, bowling perfect line and length and occasional variation such as yorkers or bouncers is enough to trouble batsmen,

Shaheen just bangs it in on the deck 24/7, no wonder he got pelted.
Good points about Shaheen but Naseem also has a poor conversion rate. There are a lot of OOOH and AAAAHs when Naseem bowls but not many wickets. I dont think Naseem has figured the right length and channel for t20I bowling yet.

Boils my blood to see 40+ votes for Rizwan. Its disgusting to see that even the fans at PP - which are the most high IQ Pakistan cricket fans not being able to see the scam artist Rizwan's reality.

Babar got four years to not win a single trophy for Pakistan.

I have so much more to say on this topic but i dont want to get my blood pressure shoot up right now.
maybe except for boiling your blood, just accept difference of opinion.

Style of batting and captaincy are two separate things, but if that is a concept you couldnt learn in the last 14 years than nothing can change your bias perception.

Rizwan will be captain, whether we vote or not, and nothing can stop that except for Allah's will. Haters can burn

Shaheen wasn’t a good appointment but imagine being fired after a few weeks on the job, that’s just savage and primitive behaviour from the PCB lol

I think rizwan must be working behind the scenes for the ouster.He should be quite slippery as that alst year scandal shows.otherwise no int captain can be removed as quickly as this.one bad series and one bad psl.Somebody was decided that shaheen can't improve in 3 months but they waited patiently 3.5 years for babar to improve.

Good points about Shaheen but Naseem also has a poor conversion rate. There are a lot of OOOH and AAAAHs when Naseem bowls but not many wickets. I dont think Naseem has figured the right length and channel for t20I bowling yet.
Naseem is nowhere close to someone like siraj or bumrah because he lacks variation or killer delivery.

He has good line and length but the other 2 have much better swing, alot of killer unplayable inswingers and outswingers, deadly yorkers, lethal bouncers and those 2 are also just smarter bowlers being able to read the mentality of the batsmen, bumrah especially,

When rizwan was on 49 coming down the wicket, bumrah deliberately bowled outside offstump and pitched it in shorter, causing rizwan to get bowled.

Pakistani cricket has become bipolar.

One loss - change the captain, change the coach, change the batting order, change the vice captain, change the physio, change the chairman.

It's fine to read that stuff on PP and completely bizarre to see it unfolding in real life.
Not true, Babar lost 3 to 4 years straight. No changing during his tenure. Yet he failed to win a single trophy (not even Asia cup).

We just don’t know how to build for the long term. Even when we try it’s just play all the youngsters in one team. In reality it is aiming to win every game, making small changes every series by replacing the worst players. It takes longer, but it’s a more reliable process.

We just want a short term fix. So scared of losing t20 World Cup, and always hope of winning as an underdog rather than trying to become a strong team that would be a favourite to win.

Shaheen might have been the wrong decision initially. But he could have been a good captain and hasn’t got a proper run to prove himself. I would have seen it through before moving on. Saim should have played all the games, dropping him for last game was ridiculous. We need to give these guys proper chances to actually prove if they are the right or wrong choices. It feel like we just shift from one option to another so quickly, it makes it difficult for anyone to cement their place/captaincy.

We just don’t know how to build for the long term. Even when we try it’s just play all the youngsters in one team. In reality it is aiming to win every game, making small changes every series by replacing the worst players. It takes longer, but it’s a more reliable process.

We just want a short term fix. So scared of losing t20 World Cup, and always hope of winning as an underdog rather than trying to become a strong team that would be a favourite to win.

Shaheen might have been the wrong decision initially. But he could have been a good captain and hasn’t got a proper run to prove himself. I would have seen it through before moving on. Saim should have played all the games, dropping him for last game was ridiculous. We need to give these guys proper chances to actually prove if they are the right or wrong choices. It feel like we just shift from one option to another so quickly, it makes it difficult for anyone to cement their place/captaincy.
Completely agree, our plan 24/7 is to keep playing the same combination as long as their winning, but once that opposition gets butchered and humiliated we instantly enter panic mode.

In the Nz series before the world cup, we didn't change our combination at all, even dropping tayyab despite him not getting a single game.

Then when we got wrecked by India, we started loosing it and just gave up.

In the Nz series one could clearly see problems, Imam was not on song, agha salman wasn't ideal for no 5 or no 6, the bowling was a massive concern regarding the forms of shadab, nawaz, haris Rauf and shaheen while taking wickets was surprisingly expensive.

None of these issues got ironed out.

Tayyab, Abdullah, saud got shoved In last minute, despite players getting exhausted naseem was kept on being played even though the warning signs were their. Even chacha got shoved in last minute.

The irony is that we face NZ once again for a 5 match series and once again NZ will send their c team and once again we'll stubbornly Select the same playing 11 rather then our bench strength and try different combinations.

I think many posters are being too harsh on Shaheen. He hasn't had much experience as a captain yet. PCB should have appointed Rizwan as captain earlier; now, it's too late for the World Cup. They can't remove him based solely on his performance in the PSL.

The irony is that we face NZ once again for a 5 match series and once again NZ will send their c team and once again we'll stubbornly Select the same playing 11 rather then our bench strength and try different combinations.
Haris, Saim, Abdullah have all been pitted against each other. All preferrably opening, sometimes forced to play mid order. Then recently we even added Hasebullah to the mix.

Whether you rate these guys or not, none of these three Saim, Haris or Abdullah have been given consistent chances and settled positions. They all under pressure losing their place to one another. You could see it in the Afganistan tour. As a result we ruined their early records which makes it far harder to succeed in the long term.

I dunno why we gave hope that Haris would open. Saim is rated the bigger talent. He should have just been told he plays at 4 and he will get a long run and not be dropped. So it’s up to him to work out how to be a middle order batsman.

Saim I would have waited until we can experiment with trying Babar at 3 so we can open with him. We were too desperate that we rushed him to play even mid order and compete with Haris.

Fakhar should have had his shot in t20s opening before Saim. Then we could finally make a decision on whether to abandon Fakhar opening. Playing Saim knowing Fakhar was the best opener in PSL and a ODI World Cup created extra pressure knowing he was taking Fakhars opportunity to open from him. It you move Rizwan to mid order you open with both. But if you have to choose I would have started with fakhar who had the higher chance of succeeding right now and has warranted a chance at opening again after many great PSL seasons and a successful World Cup. Of course now he’s lost form in PSL, we missed that perfect chance for a comeback.

Haris, Saim, Abdullah have all been pitted against each other. All preferrably opening, sometimes forced to play mid order. Then recently we even added Hasebullah to the mix.

Whether you rate these guys or not, none of these three Saim, Haris or Abdullah have been given consistent chances and settled positions. They all under pressure losing their place to one another. You could see it in the Afganistan tour. As a result we ruined their early records which makes it far harder to succeed in the long term.

I dunno why we gave hope that Haris would open. Saim is rated the bigger talent. He should have just been told he plays at 4 and he will get a long run and not be dropped. So it’s up to him to work out how to be a middle order batsman.

Saim I would have waited until we can experiment with trying Babar at 3 so we can open with him. We were too desperate that we rushed him to play even mid order and compete with Haris.

Fakhar should have had his shot in t20s opening before Saim. Then we could finally make a decision on whether to abandon Fakhar opening. Playing Saim knowing Fakhar was the best opener in PSL and a ODI World Cup created extra pressure knowing he was taking Fakhars opportunity to open from him. It you move Rizwan to mid order you open with both. But if you have to choose I would have started with fakhar who had the higher chance of succeeding right now and has warranted a chance at opening again after many great PSL seasons and a successful World Cup. Of course now he’s lost form in PSL, we missed that perfect chance for a comeback.
The biggest problem is that Pakistan has hired way too many openers in t20, and never bothered developing middle order bats, simply because every player is fighting tooth and nail with each other for a place in the squad otherwise they get dropped.

THIS IS NOT THE WAY to groom youngsters.

No wonder everyone wants to open now, opening is where you get the most runs and are braindead selectors can't identify that a middle order bat in t20 will obviously have a lower avg but a higher sr and won't make as many runs as an opener.

When you create a toxic culture of do or die, how is anyone going to stay or perform?

Everyone gets booted out within seconds of being selected except (Rizzu, Babar, shaheen, shadab and now shan the new golden boy)

Like last year we selected tayyab and dropped him? Why? What did tayyab even do? Why Select him if he wasn't even going to play?

Don't shift goal posts and please don't derail the discussion. Respond to my comments in the relevant thread. I don't like my posts being deleted after I type it out. Keep it simple rather than posting irrelevant essays to discuss a different topic in a different thread

Magic deliveries work for him, that's what makes him so threatening. At one point he was taking a wicket in every first over, I think he has the record for that.

But they stopped working once he got injured and lost his pace. An inswinging Yorker at 90mph is much more threatening than one at 80mph.

The biggest problem is that Pakistan has hired way too many openers in t20, and never bothered developing middle order bats, simply because every player is fighting tooth and nail with each other for a place in the squad otherwise they get dropped.

No wonder everyone wants to open now, opening is where you get the most runs and are braindead selectors can't identify that a middle order bat in t20 will obviously have a lower avg but a higher sr and won't make as many runs as an opener.

When you create a toxic culture of do or die, how is anyone going to stay or perform?

Everyone gets booted out within seconds of being selected except (Rizzu, Babar, shaheen, shadab and now shan the new golden boy)

Like last year we selected tayyab and dropped him? Why? What did tayyab even do? Why Select him if he wasn't even going to play?

You ruined your entire argument by bringing up the example of Tayyab. He is a MIDDLE ORDER batter. Why was he discarded when we desperately need one?

Doesn't add up to the toxic culture argument you're making because a middle order batter is not a threat to RizBar opening

Rizwan performed straight away opening. Babar, Shaheen and Shadab all performed pretty much as soon as they debuted. If they had failed they would have faced the same treatment. There is no golden boy treatment. People go on about Rizwan having a multitude chances to open. He didn’t. Had he not performed near instantly he would have been removed. Even though generally most wicketkeepers tend to initially struggle juggling bat and keeping. Same with Sarfraz when he first came to the team, people wrote him off saying he’d never be as good as Kamran with the bat. If you show early performance, you naturally get a longer run. Happened with fakhar too in ODIs, why he got so many t20s and persisted in that lull of form he had in ODIs. Why Imam for example has had a lengthy career despite faults, it’s because he scored a 100 on debut and was amongst the scores early on.

Which is why I don’t think it’s fine for youngsters to develop bad records early on by rushing them too early and experimenting. It puts their long term career in jeopardy. Saim never would have been dropped from the last game of the series even if he hadn’t had quite a few games of failure in different formats/positions. It does make a difference.

You ruined your entire argument by bringing up the example of Tayyab. He is a MIDDLE ORDER batter. Why was he discarded when we desperately need one?

Doesn't add up to the toxic culture argument you're making because a middle order batter is not a threat to RizBar opening
Tayyab is a sitting duck against pace. This guy makes shoaib Malik a world class player against pace.

Rizwan should have been captain when they selected Shaheen as captain
No he shouldn’t have. He is no different to Babar Azam. Even Shaheen should not have been captain. No one from Saya corporation should be captain.

People rejoicing for RIZWAN:

Do you really think he can win us the tournament?

Or even Shaheen?

If, even for a moment you believe in that, then I can only salute your delusions. It’s a slightly better probability than ODI Word Cup as we’re a fluke team made for 10-15 overs only, but still, it’s impossible to win the cup.

The talent and skill is just not there.

Rizwan performed straight away opening. Babar, Shaheen and Shadab all performed pretty much as soon as they debuted. If they had failed they would have faced the same treatment. There is no golden boy treatment.

This. The biggest example of this has been Shahid Khan Afridi. His fastest 100 was the worst thing to happen to Pakistan. A mediocre player like him milked a career spanning over 3 decades because of that innings. It's what our fans want I guess, immediate performers

Rizwan performed straight away opening. Babar, Shaheen and Shadab all performed pretty much as soon as they debuted. If they had failed they would have faced the same treatment. There is no golden boy treatment. People go on about Rizwan having a multitude chances to open. He didn’t. Had he not performed near instantly he would have been removed. Even though generally most wicketkeepers tend to initially struggle juggling bat and keeping. Same with Sarfraz when he first came to the team, people wrote him off saying he’d never be as good as Kamran with the bat. If you show early performance, you naturally get a longer run. Happened with fakhar too in ODIs, why he got so many t20s and persisted in that lull of form he had in ODIs. Why Imam for example has had a lengthy career despite faults, it’s because he scored a 100 on debut and was amongst the scores early on.

Which is why I don’t think it’s fine for youngsters to develop bad records early on by rushing them too early and experimenting. It puts their long term career in jeopardy. Saim never would have been dropped from the last game of the series even if he hadn’t had quite a few games of failure in different formats/positions. It does make a difference.
It's a myth that rizwan was given special treatment. He opened for KPK performed a d got picked as an opener. Flopped 2 games and never looked back since.

I wouldn't call it a myth because fans clearly know the history but because of their dishonesty they ignore the facts. Then we wonder why we are such a failed state with dishonesty from top to bottom.

People rejoicing for RIZWAN:

Do you really think he can win us the tournament?

Or even Shaheen?

If, even for a moment you believe in that, then I can only salute your delusions. It’s a slightly better probability than ODI Word Cup as we’re a fluke team made for 10-15 overs only, but still, it’s impossible to win the cup.

The talent and skill is just not there.
You hero misbah didn't win anything infact he single handedly cost us 2 ICC trophies.

You hero misbah didn't win anything infact he single handedly cost us 2 ICC trophies. Have some dignity before you question others.
Irrelevant post and not related to this thread. Stop comparing the no. 1 ranked Test captain and Asia Cup winner (with much less talented team) with the current lot.

Irrelevant post and not related to this thread. Stop comparing the no. 1 ranked Test captain and Asia Cup winner (with much less talented team) with the current lot.
rizwan is far better cricketer than misbah. A rubbish player like misbah couldn't even score a odi century while playing at a test rate. Rizwan had centuries in all formats something which misbah can't even dream of. Respect your greatest wk of all time.

Tbf you are right I shouldn't have compared such a rubbish cricketer like misbah with our greatest wk

Regarding this thread rizwan is far better cricketer than misbah. A rubbish player like misbah couldn't even score a odi century while playing at a test rate. Rizwan had centuries in all formats something which misbah can't even dream of. Respect your greatest wk of all time.

Tbf you are right I shouldn't have compared such a rubbish cricketer like misbah with our greatest wk
Come with your real account. Probably banned for a good reason.

Performance is relative.

Does he score 50s?

Almost every match.

But they come at a SR that it makes us lose every match.

You cannot hit 50 off 40 balls in a T20 which is 1/3rd of the innings and win the match if the RRR is 10 per over.

Simple as that.

It looks like he has performed but in reality, he has just filled his own coffers.

People still can't see it but one day they will.

Brother,

All the things youve mentioned ignore all the political factors involved. Theirs a reason this team gets butchered in cuos but looks a million dollars in tours and reaches no 1.

PCB is beyond blind to see that and so are the fans, don't blame me when in this cup we get butchered again for the millionth time, Rizwan isn't doing anything to change that as a captain.

The opening that he'll do this cup will be a repeat of 2022, he isn't doing anything beyond bashing Sri lanka and other minnow teams.

Afg, India, SA, NZ, Aus are all cremating rizzu and his team.

Besides Bobby who can keep up with maybe a 30 to 40 score, or maybe a fakhar or saim blinder, rizzu and the rest are collapsing miserably.

Edit; Also I'm not directly addressing all you said because Dr bassim already did

rizwan is far better cricketer than misbah. A rubbish player like misbah couldn't even score a odi century while playing at a test rate. Rizwan had centuries in all formats something which misbah can't even dream of. Respect your greatest wk of all time.

A Rizwan fan who doesn't like Misbah... wow and the haters think we are all the same

Brother,

All the things youve mentioned ignore all the political factors involved. Theirs a reason this team gets butchered in cuos but looks a million dollars in tours and reaches no 1.

PCB is beyond blind to see that and so are the fans, don't blame me when in this cup we get butchered again for the millionth time, Rizwan isn't doing anything to change that as a captain.

The opening that he'll do this cup will be a repeat of 2022, he isn't doing anything beyond bashing Sri lanka and other minnow teams.

Afg, India, SA, NZ, Aus are all cremating rizzu and his team.

Besides Bobby who can keep up with maybe a 30 to 40 score, or maybe a fakhar or saim blinder, rizzu and the rest are collapsing miserably.

Edit; Also I'm not directly addressing all you said because Dr bassim already did
Rizwan averages 28 with Sr 106 against Sri Lanka which is his worst against any team that he has played more then twice. But yes continue with your agenda. But according to you, you don't have ikes or dislike.

I might go for the game in Dallas lol

Do it bro. I want to go to a game too but don't want to make a trip to the USA. I have a feeling Canada will be hosting the Global T20 tournament right after the WC as most players will be in the region. Will try to meet some of the Pak players then if they perform in the WC.

If they do miserably then I might just go to the games to heckle them

Do it bro. I want to go to a game too but don't want to make a trip to the USA. I have a feeling Canada will be hosting the Global T20 tournament right after the WC as most players will be in the region. Will try to meet some of the Pak players then if they perform in the WC.

If they perform miserably then I might just go to the games to heckle them
Canada will definitely win this one, I have seen the ground, suits Canadian desis more, US Desis are not ready yet but I do think by next one we will defeat you guys.

Canada will definitely win this one, I have seen the ground, suits Canadian desis more, US Desis are not ready yet but I do think by next one we will defeat you guys.

I think there's a t20 series between the two before the WC. Should be good practice before the big game.

The heckling part though is reserved for Pak players. If they win the world cup, we'll let the players party in Canada. If they do poor, they're gonna get booed and heckled here

All things considered i think Rizwan is ths best choice we have right now. A smart captain who doesn’t get flustered easily. Seeing the bench strength we have Rizwan would be my first choice WK batsman in all three formats

I'm happy for this change,
I just hope that Riz has the self awareness not to open & to be more responsible when it comes to reviews

Not true, Babar lost 3 to 4 years straight. No changing during his tenure. Yet he failed to win a single trophy (not even Asia cup).

How many new coaches? How many new chairmen?

Stability is important for a reason. It's the only way to run a national team. You could be the greatest captain, greatest coach, or greatest chairman and you won't be able to do anything without a proper run.

I'm not a fan of Shaheen's captaincy but you can't replace someone like this. The same goes for how they removed Hafeez as team manager.

Right now people are appreciating the thought of Rizwan replacing Shaheen. Will you keep the same energy when the system tosses him out for someone else after a few losses?

Amongst the players in Pakistan's national team, Rizwan seems the most competent captain. He keeps an eye on the field and makes decent bowling changes when necessary, while his consistent performance secures his position in the team for the foreseeable future. That said, I feel Shaheen should retain the captaincy because this random character selector system the PCB regime is trying to implement will damage the cohesion and morale of the team and will bring about a wave of negativity causing players to feel disrespected. It erodes the trust and respect within the team.

Ego management is a cornerstone of forming high-performance teams. Injecting uncertainty into the team's dynamics risks alienating players and disillusioning fans. The Pakistani team of the late 90s to early 2010s can testify to that fact.

Let's try to not repeat the mistakes of the past even though I know we will because the souls of the people in charge back then have been transferred to the people in charge now, in the form of PDM's appointments(or should I say, gifts given to the obedient ones.).

I actually went to the stadium last sunday and saw the way Rizwan captained his team. He was standing at the rope, yet he was soo active and placing his guys accurately and was always involved in the game.

I actually went to the stadium last sunday and saw the way Rizwan captained his team. He was standing at the rope, yet he was soo active and placing his guys accurately and was always involved in the game.
He is a street smart captain.

How many new coaches? How many new chairmen?

Stability is important for a reason. It's the only way to run a national team. You could be the greatest captain, greatest coach, or greatest chairman and you won't be able to do anything without a proper run.

I'm not a fan of Shaheen's captaincy but you can't replace someone like this. The same goes for how they removed Hafeez as team manager.

Right now people are appreciating the thought of Rizwan replacing Shaheen. Will you keep the same energy when the system tosses him out for someone else after a few losses?
Bro, when a wrong decision was made in the first place, should we wait till we lose another icc tournament to rectify it, or should we be proactive and fix the mistake before ICC tournament?

This culture of fixing things after the ICC tournament needs to end, because in that process we lose the tournament.

I agree with your POV on stability, but the captaincy is a very crucial position. It only takes one series to determine if the person is capable to lead and strategize or not as a captain. You dont need a long run like a batsman does or a bowler does because captaincy is one of those things which can be noticed early on.

Shaheen, Babar and Shadab were all bad captains. Babar had no idea what is going on in the game and can never come with a backup plan. Shadab becomes too much attacking that he forgets that sometimes you win games by being defensive. While Shaheen is also another Shadab who starts throwing every thing he has upfront.

He is a street smart captain.
no captain stands at the boundary, they always stay inside the circle. But this guy instead of wasting time whenever the batter crossed he would run back to the boundary make adjustments from there. And every player, even the foreigners had there eys on Rizwan to listen to his commands and orders.

He has great control over his guys, and knows what he is going.

Bro, when a wrong decision was made in the first place, should we wait till we lose another icc tournament to rectify it, or should we be proactive and fix the mistake before ICC tournament?

This culture of fixing things after the ICC tournament needs to end, because in that process we lose the tournament.

I agree with your POV on stability, but the captaincy is a very crucial position. It only takes one series to determine if the person is capable to lead and strategize or not as a captain. You dont need a long run like a batsman does or a bowler does because captaincy is one of those things which can be noticed early on.

Shaheen, Babar and Shadab were all bad captains. Babar had no idea what is going on in the game and can never come with a backup plan. Shadab becomes too much attacking that he forgets that sometimes you win games by being defensive. While Shaheen is also another Shadab who starts throwing every thing he has upfront.

Let's assume Rizwan is the best captain.

Look at the position he's walking into. It's completely out of sorts. Who will take him seriously when everyone knows he could be out the door within a few games too? He can't even look upwards for stability because the coaches are getting changed too.

He will have two ex-captains (including Shaheen who won't know why he lost his job suddenly) and a former vice-captain in Shadab who might also be eying the captaincy spot considering the turnover rate.

What's being asked of Rizwan in a situation such as this is almost impossible even if he's a good tactician. This is a man management nightmare for him to walk into and he's already a volatile personality in front of the mic.

Multan Sultans cannot be compared to what he will be dealing with internationally. Multan is run like a proper team with stability throughout the ranks.

Back